Victim: Alexis Murphy, 17, missing from Shipman, VA, 03 August 2013 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a strong opinion either way about this topic but I think it would be beneficial if we looked to research to see what they say! Do attractive women who seemingly appear or act provocative attract sexual predators? And specifically, sexual predators (not the harmless boy-next-door types).
We can't assume to know the answers.
What studies have been done?
Social media is fairly new and I would imagine that there's research being conducted about young women who post for attention and who they may be (or not) attracting as we speak.
Is there something to it?
Research may prove the answers and they may be significant.

moo

I am sure they do, but how do explain away the rape of women in nun's robes, or in Burka's (covered head to toe in fabric) in the Middle East or innocent children or a teen in her Catholic school girl uniform? A pervert could sexualize/fetishize anything.
How many rapes occur at nudist beaches? I wonder. It's an interesting concept but, perverts are always perverts.

It sounded like the DA wanted the courtroom sealed because they felt that the evidence could be so prejudicial, to RAT,that it could make it difficult to seat a jury.

It sounded like the DA wanted the courtroom sealed because they felt that the evidence could be so prejudicial, to RAT,that it could make it difficult to seat a jury.

But wouldn't the jury be just as prejudicial because of his previous case?

i am sure they do, but how do explain away the rape of women in nun's robes, or in burka's (covered head to toe in fabric) in the middle east or innocent children or a teen in her catholic school girl uniform? a pervert could sexualize/fetishize anything.
how many rapes occur at nudist beaches? I wonder. It's an interesting concept but, perverts are always perverts.
bbm: +1

I am sure they do, but how do explain away the rape of women in nun's robes, or in Burka's (covered head to toe in fabric) in the Middle East or innocent children or a teen in her Catholic school girl uniform? A pervert could sexualize/fetishize anything.
How many rapes occur at nudist beaches? I wonder. It's an interesting concept but, perverts are always perverts.

Agree 100%. Not to get too off topic, but my major is "women, gender and sexuality." For a class last semester, I did a paper on SM & sexualization of young women. There really are not enough studies done to prove OR disprove the theory.

Even so, just because you act/look/think a certain way doesn't mean you should be subjected to any physical harm.

Every time I think that we, as a culture, are past the "if you wear a short dress, you were asking for it" phase, I'm reminded of articles like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

I don't believe that sexual predators go after victims because of the way they dress or act. Sexual predators attack babies on up to victims that are elderly. Why do so many prey on children? It has nothing to do with the way a child acts, dresses or looks it's about power and control. It's violence.

I also do not believe that Alexis is a victim of sex trafficking. She would not make a good candidate. Sex traffickers prey on those that are runaways, involved in heavy drug use and in general have bad situations at home. In a lot of cases children that are trafficked are done so by their own caretakers. These are young people that they don't anticipate others will be looking for, especially a all out search involving the FBI.

I think that RAT targeted Alexis because he saw her around town. I don't think anything social media wise had anything to do with it.

As far as my opinion on young girls presenting themselves on SM in a sexual manner, well that's probably a subject that I would rather discuss elsewhere, because I find it totally irrelevant as far as Alexis and her disappearance is concerned.

Agree 100%. Not to get too off topic, but my major is "women, gender and sexuality." For a class last semester, I did a paper on SM & sexualization of young women. There really are not enough studies done to prove OR disprove the theory.

Even so, just because you act/look/think a certain way doesn't mean you should be subjected to any physical harm.

Every time I think that we, as a culture, are past the "if you wear a short dress, you were asking for it" phase, I'm reminded of articles like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Sounds like a cool class.
Yes, the victim is often blamed. But, men (or women) rapists, abusers need to be held accountable for their actions especially if they are adults.
It's very troubling that sexism and "*advertiser censored*-shaming" the victim is still going strong today.
But, a pervert will find anything to be turned on by. Ankles, skin, no-skin, innocence the whole Madonna/*advertiser censored* complex.
It's their own issues and the victim is held accountable, when it should be the other way around.

I don't believe that sexual predators go after victims because of the way they dress or act. Sexual predators attack babies on up to victims that are elderly. Why do so many prey on children? It has nothing to do with the way a child acts, dresses or looks it's about power and control. It's violence.

I also do not believe that Alexis is a victim of sex trafficking. She would not make a good candidate. Sex traffickers prey on those that are runaways, involved in heavy drug use and in general have bad situations at home. In a lot of cases children that are trafficked are done so by their own caretakers. These are young people that they don't anticipate others will be looking for, especially a all out search involving the FBI.

I think that RAT targeted Alexis because he saw her around town. I don't think anything social media wise had anything to do with it.

As far as my opinion on young girls presenting themselves on SM in a sexual manner, well that's probably a subject that I would rather discuss elsewhere, because I find it totally irrelevant as far as Alexis and her disappearance is concerned.

yes, exactly!
Alexis is beautiful and possibly trusted the wrong person or was dragged into a car against her will. It's not her fault this wack-job stalked and kidnapped her.
I wish we had an update on RAT!!

yes, exactly!
Alexis is beautiful and possibly trusted the wrong person or was dragged into a car against her will. It's not her fault this wack-job stalked and kidnapped her.
I wish we had an update on RAT!!

There is a hearing scheduled August 29 for the probation violation. I imagine it will be continued (though who knows, it may be held that day). After that the grand jury will convene on September 24.

He could always grant an interview with local or national media if he desired. Or his attorney could speak to media on his behalf. Not sure either will happen.

Maybe, it just comes down to being alone, which in and of itself makes one more vulnerable, and just happening to catch their eye. Once the predator turns his/her focus on that person, there is little that will deter them from stalking what they see as prey.

Anyone who has ever had a stalker knows this.

I think most victims of predators, if they are not known to them, as wrong place/time. Like Mickey and probably Morgan, alone and vulnerable. Probably the same with Alexis. Not to do with Mickey and Morgan both being blond, for example. Just there, when the predator is lurking and looking. JMO

I think most victims of predators, if they are not known to them, as wrong place/time. Like Mickey and probably Morgan, alone and vulnerable. Probably the same with Alexis. Not to do with Mickey and Morgan both being blond, for example. Just there, when the predator is lurking and looking. JMO

In some cases, it can be as simple as passing by your own window at dusk. Before you realize that it is time to close the blinds or the curtains, the predator, who is out for a stroll, has seen you. For whatever reason, you caught his eye. Then for the freak, it is game on.

If the internet has anything to do with this case, it will be as if the guy walked by her open window. That is a good reason to have private settings. They are like curtains...a little barrier to keep out the stranger predator. But, sometimes you work near, go to school with or know the person in passing. Stalking is so evil and it really needs to be taken much more seriously. IMO.

Looks like this was from 2005 but there may be a lot of information here that can give insight into how these cases are handled and some understanding of serial killers. It's a long read and I just skimmed over it.

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/serial-murder

Also, since sex trafficking is frequently brought up on a lot of the threads here, I wanted to share this video I watched the other night. It is long as well but I learned so much from watching it. A panel of survivors that now work to combat the industry speak.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEXqz12iT30"]Survivors Speak: Essential Leadership in Combating Demand for Sex Trafficking and Commercial Sex - YouTube[/ame]

Maybe, it just comes down to being alone, which in and of itself makes one more vulnerable, and just happening to catch their eye. Once the predator turns his/her focus on that person, there is little that will deter them from stalking what they see as prey.

Anyone who has ever had a stalker knows this.

Not to be trite but I was watching shark week, and they were trying to figure out more about the sharks choice of human victims. One of their conclusions was, you are more apt to become a victim if you are alone in the water.

Wouldn't the FBI's involvement have to do also with the information being sealed? Anytime they are involved in an ongoing investigation detailed information is protected from public exposure. That's one of their policies. It would explain having no media present. Also, it helps to protect those who may be key people within the investigation.

Of side note, do we know exactly why they became involved? In kidnappings, they become involved when it's kids age 12 and under, or if it's more than one person in more than one state, or if state lines have been crossed.

I assumed it had to do with possible cyber involvement, but I didn't know.

Wouldn't the FBI's involvement have to do also with the information being sealed? Anytime they are involved in an ongoing investigation detailed information is protected from public exposure. That's one of their policies. It would explain having no media present. Also, it helps to protect those who may be key people within the investigation.

Of side note, do we know exactly why they became involved? In kidnappings, they become involved when it's kids age 12 and under, or if it's more than one person in more than one state, or if state lines have been crossed.

I assumed it had to do with possible cyber involvement, but I didn't know.

I didn't see anything about children 12 and under.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/vc_majorthefts/cac/card

I mentioned this before, but I think the reason why we are seeing the FBI involved more and sooner in cases is due to LE agencies recognizing the severity and quickly notifying the FBI in these abductions. The quicker they move in with their expertise, the better chances of these cases getting solved.

I didn't see anything about children 12 and under.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/vc_majorthefts/cac/card

I mentioned this before, but I think the reason why we are seeing the FBI involved more and sooner in cases is due to LE agencies recognizing the severity and quickly notifying the FBI in these abductions. The quicker they move in with their expertise, the better chances of these cases getting solved.

It's quite possible, but with the FBI becoming so actively involved within the first 48 hours, it does cause me to wonder if it is cyber related or otherwise.

About children under 12:

"The FBI will initiate a kidnapping investigation involving a missing child “of tender years,” even though there is no known interstate aspect. “Tender years” is generally defined as a child 12 years or younger. The FBI will monitor other kidnapping situations when there is no evidence of interstate travel, and it offers assistance from various entities including the FBI Laboratory"

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/faqs

I would not think what they are doing is merely monitoring.

FYI- CUE is doing a missing person road tour for awareness in October. If interested, the family will need to contact them..
http://www.ncmissingpersons.org/on-the-road-to-remember-national-tour/

“On The Road To Remember” Missing Persons National Tour 2013

States open for requesting a rally stop are as follows: Note – other states may be added is close to route
North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Virginia, Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama
It’s that time again when the CUE Center for Missing Persons begins to line up request to host rally stops for our awareness campaign concerning missing person cases across the country. The route each year is designed from the request that come in and once the addresses are complete dates, times of arrival for rally stops will be announced. Anyone interested volunteering, sponsorship or hosting a stop should contact cuecenter@aol.com or call (910) 232-1687 (910) 343-1131

Alexis's Missing Person's Info is posted on the FBI's Facebook Page:

https://www.facebook.com/FBI

http://www.fbi.gov/richmond/press-releases/2013/seeking-information-on-missing-nelson-county-teen
(70 Comments)

Seeking Information on Missing Nelson County Teen
FBI Richmond
August 06, 2013

Media Coordinator/COS Dennette Rybiski
(804) 261-1044
The combined law enforcement presence in the area searching for Alexis is 50+ officers and analysts. As a result of this combined law enforcement effort, the search area for video footage has been extended 30 miles to the north and south of Lovingston. Numerous tips have been received and officials are thoroughly reviewing each and conducting interviews.

No bit of information is too small. Together, these agencies encourage any citizen who may have seen Alexis or may have information to share to please contact authorities immediately at (434) 263-7050.

I wish they could use a truth serum to at least get these perps to give up the location of a missing person.

Although it's been rumoured that the CIA has been working on a truth serum for decades, no such drug has been proven to exist.

Most sources I scanned state that "truth serum" may make a subject more friendly and co-operative with an interviewer, but may also cause the subject to have fantasies. A liar without the serum will likely continue to lie with the serum. These drugs may also make the subject more susceptible to suggestion. The subject may not even remember that an interview had taken place--like the effect of a date rape drug. So the information from drug enhanced interrogations cannot be taken at face value.

In fact, in 1963, Townsend v Sain, the Supreme Court decided that confessions made under the influence of truth serums were "unconstitutionally coerced".

Sadly, it seems that there is no way of forcing someone to tell the truth, even in dire circumstances. However, I join with you, BeginnersLuck, in wishing that somehow, especially when someone is missing, there was a way to compel a suspect to reveal what they know to be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cecilgoodroe