Victim: Alexis Murphy, 17, missing from Shipman, VA, 03 August 2013 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoe is searching in water, or even on land a month later, searching for a live person?

Hoe is searching in water, or even on land a month later, searching for a live person?

JMO, but perhaps it is more evidence they are searching for, rather than her... in hopes that any evidence found leads to her location... just thinking out loud...

They could be searching for any evidence which links RAT to Alexis and her disappearance.

Interestingly, the charge of abduction/kidnapping against RAT is listed as a Class 5 felony which is the least on the scale. This gives some hope that LE doesn't have evidence which suggests Alexis was murdered - at least not at the time the charge was filed.

Deba... correct... and to elaborate on that... the charge of abduction for RAT is described as abduction by force or intimidation... which in part, is defined as:

§ 18.2-47.

A. Any person who, by force, intimidation or deception, and without legal justification or excuse, seizes, takes, transports, detains or secretes another person with the intent to deprive such other person of his personal liberty or to withhold or conceal him from any person, authority or institution lawfully entitled to his charge, shall be deemed guilty of"abduction."

B. Any person who, by force, intimidation or deception, and without legal justification or excuse, seizes, takes, transports, detains or secretes another person with the intent to subject him to forced labor or services shall be deemed guilty of "abduction." For purposes of this subsection, the term "intimidation" shall include destroying, concealing, confiscating,withholding, or threatening to withhold a passport, immigration document, or other governmental identification or threatening to report another as being illegally present in the United States.

- See more at: http://statutes.laws.com/virginia/title-18-2/chapter-4/18-2-47#sthash.tKz7sOCQ.dpuf

Since everyone has been throwing out some theories on Alexis' abduction while we've been waiting for news... I'll put a mini-theory of mine out here too... not so much on the actual abduction itself... but rather on what LE has been doing since...

soooo... IMO, I think the reason that LE has not seemingly ever searched for Alexis, herself, but rather concentrated their searches on what appears to be for evidence only... and their continued statements that they believe her to be alive... may be because they KNOW she is alive... I know LE is always gonna go on the thought process that unless proven otherwise, a person is still alive... but, I don't think they would continue to put out statements to such, unless they had REASON to believe it true... and by that I mean, reason to believe it true because they have some evidence to point to her being held somewhere by someone.. Otherwise I think they would have had massive public searches for her.. and they haven't done that... they have never, it appears, had searches that point to looking for a body or even looking for a living victim... and every time they have searched, it seems like it is many locations on that same search day... even the day they did that search where the tire prints were found, they stated they also searched up to 12 other locations that day.... when they talked about searching for cell phones they discussed that some had been found along route 6 as well... so it just seems to me that all of their searches are looking for SOMETHING(S) not searching for Alexis, herself... and the only reason I can think to do that is because they have a reason not to be searching for her... those reasons may be either they know she is dead (which their searches really don't point to either) or they know she is alive, but not where, and need more evidence to find out where... My other thought on this is partially due to the FBI involvement so fast... and so heavy... so, while I guess we wont know the ins and outs for sometime... my theory keeps coming to her being abducted for trafficking, or some variation of trafficking, like maybe a small, local operation... as in just central va, versus big city locations... or anything along the lines of grabbed for a purpose... I guess its just LE's behavior throughout this case... so hush hush, so heavy, so quick, not asking for or requesting help of big searches... and so not seemingly focused on finding HER in the searches themselves... and when you combine all of this with the recent local news on more and more trafficking being uncovered in rural central va counties, as well as bigger va cities, over the past few months... I just have to wonder... anyway... I know my mini-theory is a bit jumbled and disjointed, and I apologize for this... my focus is really off today... but the bottom line of my theory is, despite the stats, I think she is alive, LE knows it, and all the behind the scenes stuff LE is doing is related to this knowledge and getting her back... :)

Could have been those other cell phones that were recovered. If he's been stealing and reselling phones, or fencing phones that others stole maybe that was his lure rather than pot? AM had posted on one of her social media sites about a fancy leading edge phone that she wanted; maybe he told her he could sell her one cheap.

We tend to see him as an obvious creepy guy partly because we're looking back knowing what he's done. But at the hearing, he was calm and well-spoken, and since he's somebody she kind of knew, I doubt if she'd have had any reservations about buying something from him.
:goodpost: Needed more than a thanks. This makes a lot of sense.

They could be searching for any evidence which links RAT to Alexis and her disappearance.

Interestingly, the charge of abduction/kidnapping against RAT is listed as a Class 5 felony which is the least on the scale. This gives some hope that LE doesn't have evidence which suggests Alexis was murdered - at least not at the time the charge was filed.

I don't usually put much stock in "kidnapped for the sex trade" theories but there seems to be some room in this case to think something like that might have happened and there might be hope she's alive.

I don't usually put much stock in "kidnapped for the sex trade" theories but there seems to be some room in this case to think something like that might have happened and there might be hope she's alive.

I find your statement made me chuckle with a shake of my head... because you summed up in one sentence, everything I was trying to say in my book of a post... thank you! I agree, this might be one of those times... where it might be actually the case... :please:

If Taylor kidnapped/abducted for the purpose of prostitution then I believe he would be facing a Class 2 felony. Nelson Co. states he is facing a Class 5 felony. Also of note, Class 5 felonies can be charged when there is no law outlining a specific crime. Example...abduction with intent to??? If the intent of the abduction had not previously been defined within law, it can still be charged, but only as Class 5.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-48

§ 18.2-48. Abduction with intent to extort money or for immoral purpose.

Abduction (i) of any person with the intent to extort money or pecuniary benefit, (ii) of any person with intent to defile such person, (iii) of any child under sixteen years of age for the purpose of concubinage or prostitution, (iv) of any person for the purpose of prostitution, or (v) of any minor for the purpose of manufacturing child *advertiser censored* shall be punishable as a Class 2 felony. If the sentence imposed for a violation of (ii), (iii), (iv), or (v) includes a term of confinement less than life imprisonment, the judge shall impose, in addition to any active sentence, a suspended sentence of no less than 40 years. This suspended sentence shall be suspended for the remainder of the defendant's life subject to revocation by the court.

Honestly I do not believe divers are used to find inanimate objects, other than maybe weapons. IMO they are searching for Alexis and have no idea what this guy may have done with her. JMO

Yeah, after seeing that photo, I am a whole lot less optimistic.

1150203_313380158807013_1666961117_n.jpg

Parker Slaybaugh ‏@ParkerABC13 17m
Dive teams searching Rockfish River http://fb.me/2B9BbGsPr

If Taylor kidnapped/abducted for the purpose of prostitution then I believe he would be facing a Class 2 felony. Nelson Co. states he is facing a Class 5 felony. Also of note, Class 5 felonies can be charged when there is no law outlining a specific crime. Example...abduction with intent to??? If the intent of the abduction had not previously been defined within law, it can still be charged, but only as Class 5.

Abduction (i) of any person with the intent to extort money or pecuniary benefit, (ii) of any person with intent to defile such person, (iii) of any child under sixteen years of age for the purpose of concubinage or prostitution, (iv) of any person for the purpose of prostitution, or (v) of any minor for the purpose of manufacturing child *advertiser censored* shall be punishable as a Class 2 felony. If the sentence imposed for a violation of (ii), (iii), (iv), or (v) includes a term of confinement less than life imprisonment, the judge shall impose, in addition to any active sentence, a suspended sentence of no less than 40 years. This suspended sentence shall be suspended for the remainder of the defendant's life subject to revocation by the court.

Not disagreeing with you, but trying to gain better understanding.... According to the court records he has been charged with Abduction by Force/Intimidation, 18.2-47... which is defined in part, as "with the intent to subject him[her] to forced labor or services".... perhaps, this could be the initial charge, that they know to be the case but need additional evidence, which they are currently seeking in these searches, to bump it up to the one you describe? I'm asking/wondering is all... thinking out loud if you will... that maybe they have circumstantial evidence to make them strongly believe this to be the case, but need something more to charge the higher felony abduction, so charge him with the lesser one for now?

Yeah, after seeing that photo, I am a whole lot less optimistic.

unfortunately, I am too a little... but still holding on to hope... I just want her home with her family where she belongs... :please:

From the Albemarle Circuit Court records and a document shown by RAT's attorney this is what I pick up are the charges so far concerning Alexis:

18.2-47

§ 18.2-47. Abduction and kidnapping defined; punishment.

A. Any person who, by force, intimidation or deception, and without legal justification or excuse, seizes, takes, transports, detains or secretes another person with the intent to deprive such other person of his personal liberty or to withhold or conceal him from any person, authority or institution lawfully entitled to his charge, shall be deemed guilty of "abduction."

B. Any person who, by force, intimidation or deception, and without legal justification or excuse, seizes, takes, transports, detains or secretes another person with the intent to subject him to forced labor or services shall be deemed guilty of "abduction." For purposes of this subsection, the term "intimidation" shall include destroying, concealing, confiscating, withholding, or threatening to withhold a passport, immigration document, or other governmental identification or threatening to report another as being illegally present in the United States.

18.2-108.01(B)

B. Any person who sells, attempts to sell or possesses with intent to sell or distribute any stolen property with an aggregate value of $200 or more where he knew or should have known that the property was stolen is guilty of a Class 5 felony.

Both the above charges will go to the grand jury on September 24.

(His probation violation charge will be heard in December which is unrelated to Alexis' disappearance.)

Links:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9767602#post9767602"]Suspect: Randy Allen Taylor -- Background - Page 11 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

http://ewsocis1.courts.state.va.us/CJISWeb/CaseDetail.do (this link will time out - it is the Nelson County Circuit Court Case Information)

http://www.vcsc.virginia.gov/VCC_book_fel.pdf

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-47

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-108.01

From the Albemarle Circuit Court records and a document shown by RAT's attorney this is what I pick up are the charges so far concerning Alexis:

Both the above charges will go to the grand jury on September 24.

(His probation violation charge will be heard in December which is unrelated to Alexis' disappearance.)

Links:

Suspect: Randy Allen Taylor -- Background - Page 11 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

http://ewsocis1.courts.state.va.us/CJISWeb/CaseDetail.do (this link will time out - it is the Nelson County Circuit Court Case Information)

http://www.vcsc.virginia.gov/VCC_book_fel.pdf

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-47

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-108.01

Yes, he is being charged by the definitions within section 18.2-47.

I listed 18.2-48 as an indication of him not being charged within that definition which has to do with abduction for purposes of prostitution or the like. The thoughts of sex trafficking and such were being mentioned so I wanted to clear that up. If that were the case I believe he would have been charged under 18.2-48.

However, it is within the section referenced in his charge, 18.2-47, within subsection C that states "Abduction for which no punishment is otherwise prescribed shall be punished as a Class 5 felony."

18.2-108 has to do with larceny and the Class 5 charges that go along with that. I do not see how the larceny punishment should be indicated as having to do with that of abduction. Both are distinct charges.

Yes, he is being charged by the definitions within section 18.2-47.

I listed 18.2-48 as an indication of him not being charged within that definition which has to do with abduction for purposes of prostitution or the like. The thoughts of sex trafficking and such were being mentioned so I wanted to clear that up. If that were the case I believe he would have been charged under 18.2-48.

However, it is within the section referenced in his charge, 18.2-47, within subsection C that states "Abduction for which no punishment is otherwise prescribed shall be punished as a Class 5 felony."

I read your prior post too fast. Sorry for that.

An article from The N&A concerning today's search. Has a little more information:

Search intensifies Saturday for missing teen

http://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/article_0da8c692-126d-11e3-95f7-001a4bcf6878.html

I just got home and I was hoping to login to hear some good news. I am as confused as everyone. It seems like LE must have a reason to keep saying they are searching for her alive. But the boats . . .

If they they think she is is alive after all this time, it says 1 of 2 things to me. Either she has been passed along a la sex trade, or, he has a partner (or two) who is keeping her.

The article says something about how they are looking for trails and signs of activity. I wonder if RAT had a boat and they think he carried her somewhere? I am confused because creaks this time of year are pretty shallow and not good place for a dump. If they were out at a lake I would think that is what they were looking for, by kayaks on a creek with sent dogs says they are looking differently than guys in scuba gear in a lake.

Not disagreeing with you, but trying to gain better understanding.... According to the court records he has been charged with Abduction by Force/Intimidation, 18.2-47... which is defined in part, as "with the intent to subject him[her] to forced labor or services".... perhaps, this could be the initial charge, that they know to be the case but need additional evidence, which they are currently seeking in these searches, to bump it up to the one you describe? I'm asking/wondering is all... thinking out loud if you will... that maybe they have circumstantial evidence to make them strongly believe this to be the case, but need something more to charge the higher felony abduction, so charge him with the lesser one for now?

I agree the charges can change and even though forced labor or services are listed in 47, immoral purposes is listed in 48. Does that mean forced labor or services without indication of immoral purposes within 47?

If there were evidence of forced labor or services then I'd think there'd have to be a link to if it were immoral or not. That's why I'm kinda hesitant to see it having to do with forced labor in an immoral nature at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lavina