Deceased/Not Found VT - Bill, 49, & Lorraine Currier, 55, Essex, 8 June 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Seriously? Over a month to tell us "foul play suspected." Someone commented on the article asking where the ground searches are with volunteers, where are the cadaver dogs, where is the helicopter search with radar? Agreed. Then I read that the VT Police have "consulted" with the FBI and U.S. Marshals. So, it doesn't appear that the FBI is actually on the case. And, I'm confused...I thought U.S. Marshals were used mostly to find fugitives and protect witnesses?

My expectations of this case being solved are even lower than they were before - and let me tell you, they weren't too high then.

Two articles, basically the same, since nothing was really given. Oh, and the sketch of the person driving the car isn't credible anymore (also not a huge shock with an eyewitness account of a stranger driving a random car before anyone knew it was missing).

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...uple-case?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|FRONTPAGE

http://www.wcax.com/story/15099579/vt-police-foul-play-suspected-in-disappearance?redirected=true

:(

Has there been any statements from any of Lorraine's co-workers or officials of Fletcher Allen?

This whole incident is so disturbing, and the police statement that people should "lock their doors" send up red flags.

Seriously? Over a month to tell us "foul play suspected." Someone commented on the article asking where the ground searches are with volunteers, where are the cadaver dogs, where is the helicopter search with radar? Agreed. Then I read that the VT Police have "consulted" with the FBI and U.S. Marshals. So, it doesn't appear that the FBI is actually on the case. And, I'm confused...I thought U.S. Marshals were used mostly to find fugitives and protect witnesses?

[Snipped for space]

:(

(I haven't been following this case closely like others so this is just my assumption.)

I am guessing that there isn't enough info. to lead authorities to conclude that the Currier's are deceased so that's why there may not have been cadaver dog searches. Also, besides around the home area and where their vehicle was parked, where else would be searched? Doing cadaver work takes a fair amount of time and effort and without having any actual information or evidence on where to search, it isn't prudent to use certain resources. I would think that a cadaver dog would have worked the Currier's home, their vehicle, and where the vehicle was located, but I haven't seen this mentioned.

I am assuming where you mention "helicopter search with radar" that you mean a FLIR unit (forward looking infrared which is an imaging technology that senses infrared radiation). This would have had to have been used very early on. I am not sure the availabilty of this but I am sure that this can be used if again, there was information or evidence that the Currier's were in a particular area. Using "air resources" are extremely expensive and there appears to be no evidence of what happened to Mr. & Mrs. Currier, therefore the air resources are not prudent to use either.

If there were areas of interest then possibly the areas could be imaged by an imager in a helicopter (or in certain types of planes), and then the images could be analyzed. But again, there has to be evidence pointing to some place.

It must be very frustrating for the family, friends and people of Essex Junction, not knowing what happened and where the Currier's are (prayers for them all). Hopefully the police have information that at this time, they can't release that they are holding on to, waiting for information that will break this case. Let's hope so.

(I haven't been following this case closely like others so this is just my assumption.)

I am guessing that there isn't enough info. to lead authorities to conclude that the Currier's are deceased so that's why there may not have been cadaver dog searches. Also, besides around the home area and where their vehicle was parked, where else would be searched? Doing cadaver work takes a fair amount of time and effort and without having any actual information or evidence on where to search, it isn't prudent to use certain resources. I would think that a cadaver dog would have worked the Currier's home, their vehicle, and where the vehicle was located, but I haven't seen this mentioned.

I am assuming where you mention "helicopter search with radar" that you mean a FLIR unit (forward looking infrared which is an imaging technology that senses infrared radiation). This would have had to have been used very early on. I am not sure the availabilty of this but I am sure that this can be used if again, there was information or evidence that the Currier's were in a particular area. Using "air resources" are extremely expensive and there appears to be no evidence of what happened to Mr. & Mrs. Currier, therefore the air resources are not prudent to use either.

If there were areas of interest then possibly the areas could be imaged by an imager in a helicopter (or in certain types of planes), and then the images could be analyzed. But again, there has to be evidence pointing to some place.

It must be very frustrating for the family, friends and people of Essex Junction, not knowing what happened and where the Currier's are (prayers for them all). Hopefully the police have information that at this time, they can't release that they are holding on to, waiting for information that will break this case. Let's hope so.
To K-9:
I travel through Essex every day... I see the vast fields for miles and miles on the outskirts of town. My eyes look over the miles of vacant potential hidden spots where they could be hidden. This makes me so sad and afraid inside that if their bodies are out there somewhere, they may never be found, or if so later, too late for any evidence to be of any use.

To K-9:
I travel through Essex every day... I see the vast fields for miles and miles on the outskirts of town. My eyes look over the miles of vacant potential hidden spots where they could be hidden. This makes me so sad and afraid inside that if their bodies are out there somewhere, they may never be found, or if so later, too late for any evidence to be of any use.

I do understand this - it must be so painful for the family to try to continue their lives doing the same thing ... wondering if any field of acreage of woods might be "the place."

I think trying to work this case with live scent to see if there is the exit trail out would be beneficial, hoping to get out of the home area to where they are. This would be lead to areas that should be searched versus looking at all of the areas that you see daily and planning searches more 'randomly', in a manner of speaking.

ALM1981 -- as a member of the media who also wants to keep this case out there, I understand your sentiments! Would you be willing to speak with us about your concern? Maybe getting a story out there that people in the area want answers and are still thinking about the Curriers could help....

I'm at 802-233-3327 or jglavan@hearst.com

Thanks!

Jill Glavan
WPTZ
http://www.wptz.com/news/28612366/detail.html
"Large-Scale Searches Possible In Currier Case"

I do understand this - it must be so painful for the family to try to continue their lives doing the same thing ... wondering if any field of acreage of woods might be "the place."

I think trying to work this case with live scent to see if there is the exit trail out would be beneficial, hoping to get out of the home area to where they are. This would be lead to areas that should be searched versus looking at all of the areas that you see daily and planning searches more 'randomly', in a manner of speaking.

I saw today that the State of Vermont has two new excellent cadaver dogs - this is terrific! Using these two cadaver dogs along with a specially trained trailing dog to work on trailing to where the Currier's went when they left their home ... this would be quite the combination of resources.

I agree, ALM1981, but sadly I'm following another case here where the police aren't doing anything, either. It's not at all related to the Curriers, but there are similarities in how little information we're getting. You really do have to wonder why they're being so quiet.

glorias, I don't believe that it is fair to state that "the police aren't doing anything, either." My bet is there is much overtime being compensated for personnel working on this case who not only are working this case because it is assigned to them, but because they care and want answers. My thought is that some may *know* the Currier's, whom from what I have read, are wonderful people.

We have no idea what the police are doing and there is a reason for this. These investigations are worked within their own 'law enforcement' confines. This happens all of the time - it is the way that investigations are handled. There are many things that can't be discussed because only the perpetrator(s) would know and to release info. to the public would be detrimental to the case.

I know that it would be better for us here in the forum, to know what is going on. Maybe there are not many answers - maybe there are a few answers but not enough to make arrests, etc.

If any of us have answers or suggestions to any of the cases that we know about here on Websleuth's, we can post them. Some LE agencies have one or more of their personnel check on these forums for various reasons. So knowing this, just in case the Essex Police Department is monitoring this forum, we can lend our own suggestions and theories.

snipped for space

glorias, I don't believe that it is fair to state that "the police aren't doing anything, either." My bet is there is much overtime being compensated for personnel working on this case who not only are working this case because it is assigned to them, but because they care and want answers. My thought is that some may *know* the Currier's, whom from what I have read, are wonderful people.

We have no idea what the police are doing and there is a reason for this.

To be fair, what I said (and what I responded to) was written before the most recent news we've had about the cadaver dogs and the DNA. No bashing of LE was intended; I didn't mean to imply they "weren't doing anything" for bad, irresponsible, or negative reasons, although I realize it sounded that way. I wrote a quick response instead of being more thorough as I should have been.

IMO the strangest part of this case is the apparent lack of motive. Lorraine told a colleague that a man was bothering her, she believed he might have stalked her. That is the only possible motive that I can see for abduction and/or murder of one or both of these people. I wonder if Lorraine went into detail about this man when she was talking to her friend ? I hope so, because at least LE would have some more details to go on.

I also wonder if this case is connected to the abduction and murder of Pat Hagan in Vermont ? What stands out is that Lorraine was not a 20 something, an age to attract stalkers. Could it be that the abducter has some kind of preference for middle aged and possibly older women ? Just some thoughts... MOO

snipped for space

To be fair, what I said (and what I responded to) was written before the most recent news we've had about the cadaver dogs and the DNA. No bashing of LE was intended; I didn't mean to imply they "weren't doing anything" for bad, irresponsible, or negative reasons, although I realize it sounded that way. I wrote a quick response instead of being more thorough as I should have been.

Totally understand ... there are times when I go on a case that there seems to be no information that has been released so I really can't prepare too much of the work that I am going to do except for some basic things that have been discussed via phone. Then when I get there and sit down with LE, that's when I find out a lot of information about the case and make my plans of what I will be doing and the order of it.

When I listen to LE, I can tell why the information is not released. One big thing is if LE has someone of interest but they can't release that info., just think what might happen if that info. was leaked out prematurely. I think of myself if it were my loved one missing that we were having a hard time finding and it seemed like a murder ... if I had any inkling of someone being linked to my missing loved one, I'd be right there at their house doing God knows what. This is just one reason and of course there are hundred's more.

To K-9:

All over Burlington is like that. When I drive along the belt-line into Colchester I get chills. There is nothing but swampy water, high grass, and fields also perfect to hide people. There are so many places around here it's unreal, which is why I don't understand why there hasn't been a volunteer search given.

All over Burlington is like that. When I drive along the belt-line into Colchester I get chills. There is nothing but swampy water, high grass, and fields also perfect to hide people. There are so many places around here it's unreal, which is why I don't understand why there hasn't been a volunteer search given.

Obviously this is very time consuming and there's a lot to doing volunteer searches and a lot of expense to the volunteer searchers. But putting that aside, like you said above, that 'there are so many places around here it's unreal', (rhetorically asked) where would you choose and what would be the justifications for doing so?

JUST READ what TickleB wrote below *after* I wrote the above --- this is GREAT NEWS!

Obviously this is very time consuming and there's a lot to doing volunteer searches and a lot of expense to the volunteer searchers. But putting that aside, like you said above, that 'there are so many places around here it's unreal', (rhetorically asked) where would you choose and what would be the justifications for doing so?

JUST READ what TickleB wrote below *after* I wrote the above --- this is GREAT NEWS!

There are a lot of hiking trails around here, and to be honest some of the trails are quite scary. Not too long ago I remember walking along a trail that scared the crap out of me because to the right side there was at least a 50 ft drop off. Fall in that and I doubt I would have been found for a long time. We just had a lot of flooding here also so normal trails and regular woods are now filled with swampy looking areas.

I've been rattling my brain though the past month as to where in Burlington/Essex/Colchester would be a " good spot " because the abductor obviously didn't go very far if the car was found so close to the house.

I've also been thinking that since the houses around here are older houses, and Victorian style houses, many of them have crawl spaces. Maybe they weren't dumped. Before moving where I am now I lived in a house that was almost 100 yrs old. The basement was still pretty much nothing but dirt and stone with 3 crawl spaces. Easy to dig in, if you guys get my drift. It's just a theory is all.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back