Deceased/Not Found VT - Bill, 49, & Lorraine Currier, 55, Essex, 8 June 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"Two Vermont judges have ruled that search warrants and written statements by police related to the disappearance of William and Lorraine Currier of Essex should be made public, but the documents remain under seal pending an appeal by the Chittenden County State’s Attorney’s Office."
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...sex-couple?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

In my years of experience watching Vermont cases, this is pretty significant, pretty unusual. There's something special being protected.

Earlier on in this forum, it was reported that Lorraine said that some guy had been bothering her.She told her friend about it...She said that it was almost like he was stalking her... MOO, but perhaps this was motive ?

JMO

But why was he bothering her? This is odd, too.

"Two Vermont judges have ruled that search warrants and written statements by police related to the disappearance of William and Lorraine Currier of Essex should be made public, but the documents remain under seal pending an appeal by the Chittenden County State’s Attorney’s Office."
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...sex-couple?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

In my years of experience watching Vermont cases, this is pretty significant, pretty unusual. There's something special being protected.

Is it? I never paid that much attention. Is this being treated differently than Michelle Gardner Quinn? Or Brooke Bennet? Or that elderly woman?

Is it? I never paid that much attention. Is this being treated differently than Michelle Gardner Quinn? Or Brooke Bennet? Or that elderly woman?

I'm relying on my memory, which may be incorrect, but usually Vermont search warrant returns are public, and usually when a prosecutor tries to seal something and loses, s/he doesn't take it to the supreme court. (I'm sure there are exceptions.)

The prosecutor is an elected official and has to balance the litigation advantages of secrecy with the political advantages of transparency, both with the news media and with the public at large, both of which tend to want to know details immediately. And the political aspect goes beyond just jockeying for votes: a prosecutor has a duty to inspired trust in LE and the judicial process, and to be worthy of that trust. That can be tricky business at times, and judging it from the sidelines is also tricky, since we don't know what LE knows or why secrecy might matter.

Maybe they are on witness protection?

Surely the government wouldn't call attention to them by staging an abduction and tricking people into looking for them. That's the opposite of what they would want for people in WP.

Surely the government wouldn't call attention to them by staging an abduction and tricking people into looking for them. That's the opposite of what they would want for people in WP.

Are the families of people in WP made aware of the situation? I know that at least one relative cut a vacation short when the Currier's went missing.

But why was he bothering her? This is odd, too.

"But why was he bothering her ? " If someone entered the home, and their intent was not robbery, then is it safe to assume that the intruder was/is a predator, and his motivations will never make sense to us ? MOO

IMO, we can't look to make sense out of actions that are senseless.MOO

Are the families of people in WP made aware of the situation? I know that at least one relative cut a vacation short when the Currier's went missing.

Yes, IMO, peeps who go into WPP can communicate with family members through a third party, usually a federal marshall. They cannot disclose their location. But, it is very hard to imagine what these two people could know,or have seen that would make them valuable enough to LE to hide them in such a manner. IMO, most people who enter WPP are themselves involved in serious criminal activities, and this is why they are able to help LE build a criminal case. I do not believe that the Curriers are in any WPP program.MOO

JMO

No, I'm not thinking the government staged this but instead someone to do with the case that put them into witness protection found them....

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011110611004

Similarly, regarding LE's removal of the dumpster next to where the car was found, the reporter carefully included an important fact in this earlier article without commenting on it:

"Saturday, residents of the apartments said police removed the Dumpster late Friday night. [snip] Paula Huckleberry, another resident, said she didn’t pay any particular notice when she took some trash to the Dumpster about mid-morning Friday. Not long after, she said, she heard the complex’s trash hauler come and empty the receptacle. (my bold)

In other words, if the couple is deceased and their bodies were in the dumpster, they were hauled away before LE took the dumpster.

Can't tell for sure from the photo of the car (link, above), but if someone intentionally parked it in front of a dumpster, that would ensure that it would be noticed on pick-up day. There are plenty of places nearby where a parked car might not be noticed for days, and parking in front of a dumpster (if it was in front) would seem like an interesting choice.

Does anyone know if it was positioned in such a way as to make emptying the dumpster impossible?

So if Bill or Lorraine is neither in the vicinity of their home or where the car was found, a wider spread search should be conducted. I still don't understand why a community search hasn't been thought of or done. With as many people who are concerned for this couple tons of people would be willing to help out including me.

Think it's possible the abductor had an accomplice?

Hi all,

Quick answers to some things: The car was not blocking the dumpster and from what I know, police searched the area near that apartment complex (it has a creek running behind it). Also, I doubt the police would allow family members to make statements to the media if this was a witness protection case.

As I said before, I'm with a local TV station, WPTZ. We are trying to advance the story to keep it in the news, but that is difficult given what little information is being released. If anyone knows the Curriers or their family and would be willing to speak with us, I'm at jglavan@hearst.com or 802-233-3327.

Thanks,

Jill Glavan

I hope that's what it is, SuziQ. I notice there is a lawyer quoted as saying that the rulings themselves should, at minimum, be released.

When I have seen that in the past, it ends up that it was done to keep the investigation secret from someone close to a missing or murdered person. They don't want this person knowing they are suspected and being investigated. JMO, IMO, etc etc.

very interesting post... MOO

Has there been any mention of Lorraine Currier's family members? I have seen mention of Bill's family but little mention of Lorraine's. Does anyone think the composite photo resembles Lorraine in any way?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back