VT VT - Lynne Kathryn Schulze, 18, Middlebury, 10 Dec 1971

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here's one of the very earliest articles - I couldn't find a text version of it, so thought it might be useful to type and add to this thread. Still trying to find the author's name - a scan is here.

Burlington Free Press

January 21, 1972

Missing Coed’s Parents Ask Aid

MIDDLEBURY – A Middlebury College freshman girl has not been heard from since Friday afternoon, Dec. 10. Miss Lynne Schulze, 17, was last seen walking (or hitchhiking) on U.S. 7 a short distance south of Middlebury village. She vanished without a word of explanation to her parents, college, authorities, friends or close associates in Battell dormitory where she lived. Lynne, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Otto A. Schulze of Simsbury, Conn., left behind all her clothing except what she was wearing, her hiking backpack, ID card and checkbook reported Mrs. Erica Wonnacott, dean of students.

Little concern was felt at first over the absence of the dark blonde, 5-foot-3, 113-pound freshman, who was described by Mrs. Wonnacott as “an independent girl.” Her 18th birthday will be Feb. 9. Many students leave college to go home or to visit friends over the weekends, explained Mrs. Wonnacott on Thursday as she disclosed details of Lynne’s mysterious disappearance at the author’s request in the hope some clues would turn up.

Alarm is now being felt by the girl’s parents for her safety, although there is no evidence of foul play – only the continued silence. Lynne’s disappearance came just before exam time at Middlebury, but the college attaches no particular significance to this fact. While she may not have been living quite up to the promises contained in her Simsbury High scholastic record, like so many first-year college students, said Mrs. Wonnacott, Lynne was “far from failing.” When she failed to show up for her English exam on the following Tuesday, an exam for which “she had studied,” according to her dorm associates, her absence became disturbing.

Middlebury College authorities called her parents in Simsbury to find out if Lynne was home. When Mr. and Mrs. Schulze expressed surprise and concern, Middlebury village and state police were notified and a description given of the girl. At the time of her disappearance, police were told Lynne was wearing blue jeans, brown nylon ski parka, navy blue pullover sweater and hiking boots.

At the parents request of no publicity for fear of frightening their daughter, there has been no public announcement to this puzzling case. A quiet search began, aided by Lynne’s college associates who “went everywhere in running down possible leas,” related Mrs. Wonnacott.

On the latest of a number of trips Schulze has made to Middlebury since mid-December, the father authorized removal of the secrecy lid he clamped on his daughter’s disappearance and appealed to the public for help in locating Lynne. He has also notified the Federal Bureau of Investigation, but expects little help from this quarter unless it can be shown interstate movement is involved. To date, state police, who issued a general missing person’s broadcast when first notified, have uncovered no new leads, reported the Middlebury station. Middlebury College authorities reported they have no evidence of any mental depression or of boyfriends in the case.

Lynne has two sisters, one a University of Wisconsin student and the other in high school, and two brothers, ages 14 and 12. Her father is a business executive [sic], and her mother teaches.

Recalls Paula Weldon

MIDDLEBURY – The mysterious disappearance of 17-year-old Lynne Schulze, Middlebury College freshman, recalls the much publicized vanishing of Paul Weldon from Bennington College 25 years ago.

Paula was never found. Her parents lived in Stamford, Conn.

On Dec 1, 1946, Paula, 18, donned sneakers, dungarees and a red parka, and went for a walk. She left the Bennington College campus and was last seen headed up the Long Trail toward rugged Glastonbury Mountain. That was the last anyone ever saw of her. She was a quiet girl, deeply interested in botany – with a good record in her studies and no known worries.
###
There has been a discussion as to whether Lynne’s case is connected to welden’s case and the disappearance of Connie smith from Connecticut. Cathy moulton has also been discussed.

Do any of you recall hearing the following (separate) claims?

1. That Kathie/Kathleen (McCormack) Durst was best friends with Lynne Schulze in Vermont

2. That Kathie did not die but, pregnant in 1975 and with Robert refusing to let her have the baby, went into witness protection and gave birth to the baby, Damein Mitchell [not Damien] possibly in Florida, and that Jim McCormack helped hide her and the boy to keep them safe from Robert, and that Robert has possibly been trying to find the boy for some time?

Do any of you recall hearing the following (separate) claims?

1. That Kathie/Kathleen (McCormack) Durst was best friends with Lynne Schulze in Vermont

2. That Kathie did not die but, pregnant in 1975 and with Robert refusing to let her have the baby, went into witness protection and gave birth to the baby, Damein Mitchell [not Damien] possibly in Florida, and that Jim McCormack helped hide her and the boy to keep them safe from Robert, and that Robert has possibly been trying to find the boy for some time?
It’s possible that Kathie and Lynne were friends. Kathie would have been 18 when Lynne disappeared.

I am trying to recall a "friends" component linked to this case--but I might be remembering Paula Israel as having the friendship with Kathie?

Just a wild thought I had last night, but - I wonder if there's any chance it was Kathie herself who may have been killed on the Vermont property? (Kathie was pregnant in 1976; is Durst's alleged return to Vermont in 1976 [acc to Israel] a coincidence?)

There's a kind of dove-tailing going on here with the story line--two girls of roughly the same age, one with an avowed pregnancy, both potentially tied to the store *and* to the Ripton property, both missing. We also have multiple suspects whose stories dovetail--both owning (supposedly) the same two properties to which both girls are supposedly connected. That's an awful lot of coincidence.

As for Durst, he and the women associated with him operated in a milieu defined by mobsters, Hollywood moguls, VERY large business deals, etc. This is under-emphasized in much media reporting. Susan Berman was Durst's friend, yes, but she was also the daughter of Meyer Lansky's right-hand man in the coup overthrowing (and murdering) Bugsy Siegel. Susan was born into a family whose historical, nationwide patterns of murder (and murdered) easily outstrip anything Durst himself will be known for. If he *was* involved, it would be statistically more likely that it was as a simple hit, not a coincidental serial killing.

No DNA of Susan or Kathie, either--witness protection remains a strong possibility in my book, and would be even more likely if both were in danger from a milieu rather than from a single individual. (Not saying it's impossible to get witness protection in a domestic situation, but any mob component gets you there faster). I don't mean Durst may not have been involved, I mean that he may have been involved as a longtime member of this milieu.

Last edited:
I received the Slator editorial!!! It will take a while to type up - I'll post here, as well as links to the actual scan.

Postscript: Never underestimate the power if interlibrary loan, including for digital copies of old, hard-to-find newspaper articles!

Here are some links to recent articles and web postings on Lynne:

www.motorcyclistonline.com/escape/favoriterides/122_0205_home/
Lynne Kathryn Schulze. June 1971. Looking For Lynne Schulze .... Lynne Kathryn Schulze was last seen in Middlebury, Vermont, on December 11, 1971.

www.addisonindependent.com/?q=node/194
Anne Rozmovits, one of Lynne Schulze's four siblings, said she recently re-read the roughly three-dozen letters Lynne had exchanged with her family and ...

unsolveditn.blogspot.com/2012_01_01_archive.html
Jan 1, 2012 ... Forty years ago Saturday, Middlebury College freshman Lynne Kathryn Schulze was walking to a final exam with fellow students when she ...

projectjason.org/forums/index.php?topic=9114.0
Jul 13, 2010 ... Lynne Katherine Schulze was just about to complete her first semester at Middlebury College in 1971. Her first time away from home was not ...

amc-alertmissingchild.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=126252703
May 18, 2011 ... Lynne was last seen at Middlebury College in Middlebury, Vermont on December 10, 1971. Eyes-Blue, Hair-Lt Brown, White Female. She was ...

Thank you for locating and sharing these links Richard. I have been enthralled with the first article from Motorcyclist Online. I wonder if the author/friend of Lynn's is on websleuths. Sounds like they were very close friends.

What's the best way to share a pdf doc here - should I link to a doc hosted online, or upload the doc here? Thanks, all!

What's the best way to share a pdf doc here - should I link to a doc hosted online, or upload the doc here? Thanks, all!
It’s up to you but we need to see that document. Just try the upload method.

In 1971 those street addresses didn't exist; the property was often referred to as the Charlie Miller Camp. It changed hands swiftly after 1971.

I wonder who the Middlebury pediatrician and retired physics professor are, and why she mentioned them in what seems to me a slightly odd fashion?

“It was still in the 30’s and you needed some kind of covering normally, unless you happen to be a certain pediatrician in town or a certain retired professor of physics...”

The moment I saw ‘pediatrician’ I wondered again about whether Lynne was pregnant. It’s also possible that, as a minor herself in the months leading to her vanishing, that pediatrician could, I suppose, have been her doctor for any other issues. The ‘severe acne,’ for example?

Lynne’s father was at the time a renowned physicist in his field; just wondering about connections here.

Last edited:
It’s not helping my sense of reality to have just found that a search for “professor of physics middlebury college 1971” brings up a Michael Durst currently teaching physics at Middlebury. Just, wow.

My grandparents recall this case. They were in Germany when Lynne disappeared but came back to CT to find everyone talking about a dark blonde girl who disappeared from VT.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IndigoMagnolia2
Back