VT VT - Lynne Kathryn Schulze, 18, Middlebury, 10 Dec 1971

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hmmm... This is very ironic. Read this article by Lynne SchulzeCommitment

by: Lynne Schulze

A true commitment is a heart felt promise to yourself, from which you will NOT back down, no matter what the circumstances may be!

Many people have good intentions and dreams, but only a few are willing to commit to what is necessary to achieve them. Do a review on your commitment level, ask yourself these questions and be honest with the answers.

• How badly do I want to achieve my dreams?
  • What will achieving my dreams mean to me?
  • What price am I willing to pay to make this happen?
  • Do I believe I can?

The ability to achieve your goals and dreams will be determined by the level to which YOU are willing to commit. NOTHING is as important as this fact!

There is a huge difference between interest and commitment. When you are interested in something you only do it when it is convenient. When you are committed to something you accept NO excuses.

The enemy of commitment is resistance. Anything you wish to achieve that is worthwhile, will meet with resistance. This can take the form of, family friends, advisers, self-doubt, self-defeating habits, lack of money, regulations, peer-pressure and many other unforseen difficulties, such as illness etc.

This can leave you questioning your dreams or even your sanity! Take some comfort in the fact that you are not alone. All those who wish to make a better life for themselves, will meet with resistence

Think of athletes or performers in any field. The endless hours of practice and learning. The lack of a social life. The defeats . The huge amount of sacrifices and challenges these people have to meet so they can fulfill their dreams. Only YOU can decide whether the rewards you look forward to are worth your effort.

A serious commitment to a goal does not mean you have to take all the joy and fun out of life. Laughter and humour are an integeral part of the human make up. Intergrate fun into your daily goals.

Learn the difference betweeen giving up and giving in. There may be many times when giving up a certain direction or idea, would be wise. Giving in, on the other hand, should never even be considered.

Life presents itself one day at a time. Take your commitments in daily bite-sized pieces. You can do without mental indigestion! One brick at a time, a house is built. One stroke at a time, the artist paints!

About The Author

Copyright (c) Lynne Schulze. Lynne is webmaster of www.cashstyle.com and a member of the international association of home business entrepreneurs www.ezinfocenter.com/8583674/iahbe

jensschulze@bigpond.com

WOW!

Just reading these quotes makes me think if this is the Lynne Schultze we are looking for, she may have disappeared completely voluntarily. They just sound like things she would say.

Satch

I reread Charlie Project's account of Lynne's case, and it said that at one time she spoke of "faking her own death." I wonder what the set of circumstances were when she said this and to whom did she say this?

Satch

Here's a different version of one of the photos, just to have in the thread:

NAT_6975_1.jpg

I would like to know how far Lynne's Final Exam building on campus was, in relation to her dorm room? Any streets or roads she had to cross? What time was the exam, and what was the viability like? How many people were around the areas she walked? This information would be helpful in determining if Lynne was abducted, injured somewhere, or left on her own accord. I lean towards abduction. However, I don't think there is any evidence to support ANY of those three theories. It seems that if she had some sort of accident, and was injured in the vicinity of campus, or tragically killed nearby, that she or her body would have been found.

Most likely she went out of the area, got into a car, or may have been forced into a car. A starting point would be, did Lynne make it back to her dorm to get her favorite pen/pencil? If she did, something happened to her on the way back to the exam building. If she didn't, something happened on the way to her dorm room. I don't remember if Lynne was living in a single dorm or had roommates.

Satch

I would like to know how far Lynne's Final Exam building on campus was, in relation to her dorm room? Any streets or roads she had to cross? What time was the exam, and what was the viability like? How many people were around the areas she walked? This information would be helpful in determining if Lynne was abducted, injured somewhere, or left on her own accord. I lean towards abduction. However, I don't think there is any evidence to support ANY of those three theories. It seems that if she had some sort of accident, and was injured in the vicinity of campus, or tragically killed nearby, that she or her body would have been found.

Most likely she went out of the area, got into a car, or may have been forced into a car. A starting point would be, did Lynne make it back to her dorm to get her favorite pen/pencil? If she did, something happened to her on the way back to the exam building. If she didn't, something happened on the way to her dorm room. I don't remember if Lynne was living in a single dorm or had roommates.

Satch

I wonder why there doesn't seem to be any info available about whether her pen was still there or not? Surely the police know whether it was missing. If it was still there then we know she didn't make it back, as you said Satch. Sounds like she thought the pen would bring her good luck on the exam. I too lean toward abduction as most likely. If nothing from her room was missing then I doubt she ran away without any of her belongings. Most girls would take at least a change of clothes.

And I still wonder about Ted Bundy, although I know it's a long shot, but he was known to have visited Vermont a couple times (maybe more) in the early late 60s to early 70s. He liked to hang around college campuses and Lynne looks like his type: pretty with long straight hair.

Thanks Satch for the new info. I think either someone abducted her on her way back to the dorm or for some reason she suddenly decided to take off, altho I lean more toward abduction because I don't understand why she wouldn't take any belongings at all from her room. I know she was supposedly seen walking down the road but how certain can we be it was her?

A puzzling thing about the Doe Network article is that it says Lynn's dentals and the family DNA were compared to a set of bones in Ohio in 2002 but I can't find any UIDs matching that location and date. The article says they couldn't rule her in or out, but maybe the person has been identified since then.

Thanks Satch for the new info. I think either someone abducted her on her way back to the dorm or for some reason she suddenly decided to take off, altho I lean more toward abduction because I don't understand why she wouldn't take any belongings at all from her room. I know she was supposedly seen walking down the road but how certain can we be it was her?

I agree Dogperson,

Lynne just does not seem like the kind of person who would just "take off." From what I read about the case, she was very loving and kind. I think she may have had some mild situational depression, but nothing that would lead to a life-changing event. If she was going to run away, she would have taken her personal belongings with her, not leave everything behind. It would pain her family too much for Lynne to leave on her own accord. I think the discussion that she had with the dorm friends about "faking her death and starting a new life" was just talk. Kids at that time often talked about free-spirit events like "The Hippie Movement." However, as Lynne cared deeply for her family, I can't see her leaving voluntarily. All accounts say there was no family conflict. There's no evidence that sightings of her later have been verified or even credible. If they were, those that saw Lynne, I think would have stopped to question her.

I think something terrible happened to her, and that she was abducted and probably murdered. I also have a feeling that her body is relatively close to where she was likely abducted. In my view, her remains are still in Vermont, but in a very well-hidden place, perhaps known only to her killer.

Satch

Or there never was a pen, and that was her excuse to get away from her friends and give herself a couple of hours to leave. I was in my freshman year that same fall and I remember feeling completely overwhelmed and like I was failing my parents and wasting the money they had spent getting me there (money they didn't really have). I felt so ashamed of myself I thought about not going home.

I got through it but others didn't. Suicide, drugs, dropping out (of school or society), etc.

Or there never was a pen, and that was her excuse to get away from her friends and give herself a couple of hours to leave. I was in my freshman year that same fall and I remember feeling completely overwhelmed and like I was failing my parents and wasting the money they had spent getting me there (money they didn't really have). I felt so ashamed of myself I thought about not going home.

I got through it but others didn't. Suicide, drugs, dropping out (of school or society), etc.

Very possible assessment,

However, why would Lynne want to leave her family? Unless academic standards were demanded highly of them, and she felt that if she did poorly, that her family would be hurt. However, from what I recall in reading about the case, Lynne was a good student, and was doing well in the class in which she was going to take her final exam.

Sadly, I think she was abducted, and for some reason, I think her body is nearby where she was abducted, but so cleverly hidden that it is known only to her killer.

However, I recall that Lynne once spoke about "faking her own death" to dorm mates, to start a new life. If that happened to her, than, I agree with the above poster that "going back for her pen or pencil" was her alibi to get away. Tragically, I think a 65% chance she was abducted, and 35% chance, she left on her own accord.

Satch

An article in the below link written by a college friend of Lynne's.

Looking For Lynne Schulze
I could tell you that I didn't know where we were going, that angling toward the upper left of Vermont was just random chance. It wouldn't be true. There was one person I really wanted to see again. We peeled off at Bethel, Vermont, headed west on 107, and turned north on Route 100, the winding two-lane that seems to connect every ski mountain in the state. It was getting to be early evening, and the road was all but deserted. We may have trespassed against a motor-vehicle code section or two. The BMW was a more than willing co-conspirator: It's one of those bikes that feels happiest when it's tilted way over, and I found myself happy to oblige.

I stopped for dinner at a roadside burger stand in Hancock. I was the last customer of the night, and when my burger was ready, the cook came out of his hot trailer and sat with me at one of the picnic tables. Larry Jakes told me he had fought in Korea, and when he came back he settled here, in this valley in the shadow of the Green Mountains. Over the years, he had done about everything he wanted, except one--he had never been to Paris. And this last year, he had done that, too. I thanked Larry, finished my fries, closed my jacket tight, and headed up over the hill toward Middlebury.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/escape/favoriterides/122_0205_home/

He gives a date of December 11, 1971, not December 10, 1971. Don't know which one is correct. Most sources give the December 10th date. However, it seems a close friend of Lynne's would never forget the date something like this happened. The exam could have been on December 10th, but maybe Lynne was not reported missing until the following day.

Satch

http://www.wcvb.com/news/police-robert-durst-linked-to-vermont-cold-case/31970652

Police: Robert Durst linked to Vermont cold case

Real estate millionaire Robert Durst has been linked a 1971 cold case involving the disappearance of a Middlebury College student, Vermont State Police confirmed.

Durst, 71, operated a health food store in Middlebury at the same time an 18-year-old woman went missing, police said.

"Robert Durst owned and operated the All Good Things health food store in Middlebury, Vermont, at the same time that 18-year-old Lynne Schulze, a Middlebury College student, was reported missing in 1971," police said in a statement.

Glad to see someone has already bumped this thread with the latest news! I saw it this morning on our local news. Needless to say, it's shocking to hear that Durst might be involved. It's creepy that he lived here in Vermont at one point. :scared: Apparently he used to own the health food store where some witnesses say they saw her before she disappeared (she was seen outside of the store).

Here's a story from the Middlebury VT paper with quite a bit of background on the case, including links to other articles they've written over the years related to Lynne's disappearance:

Updated: Police following link between Durst and Middlebury College student missing since 1971

http://www.addisonindependent.com/201503police-following-link-between-durst-and-middlebury-college-student-missing-1971

Some excerpts:

MIDDLEBURY — News of the arrest on March 15 of New York City real estate heir Robert Durst on a first-degree murder charge is reverberating to Middlebury, where Durst owned and operated the health food store “All Good Things” in the early 1970s.

Middlebury police are making note that this was around the same time that Middlebury College student Lynne Schulze disappeared on Dec. 10, 1971.

“We are aware of the connection between Robert Durst and the disappearance of Lynne Schulze,” reads a written statement provided to the Independent from Middlebury Police Chief Tom Hanley. “We have been aware of this connection for several years and have been working with various outside agencies as we follow this lead. Robert Durst owned and operated the ‘All Good Things’ health food store in Middlebury at the same time that 18-year-old Lynne Schulze, a Middlebury College student, was reported missing in 1971. This is an ongoing criminal investigation and the Middlebury Police Department is not releasing any other details.”

Bowdish stressed that there is no evidence at this point linking Durst to Schulze’s disappearance; it’s simply that their Middlebury timelines coincide. Middlebury police have not at this point requested that Durst be questioned in connection with the Schulze disappearance.

The investigation into this case, and the Robert Durst connection, is ongoing and anyone with information is asked to contact the Middlebury Police Department at 802-388-3191 or Detective Kris Bowdish by email at kbowdish@middleburypolice.org.

Here's the news broadcast we saw this morning (text and video at this link):

http://www.wcax.com/story/28595691/middlebury-police-link-1971-student-disappearance-to-nyc-millionaire

The Burlington Free Press has two stories:

Middlebury police: Durst linked to missing woman

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/local/2015/03/23/robert-durst-linked-vermont-vanishing/70353470/

Middlebury Police to Update Durst Case

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/local/2015/03/24/middlebury-police-durst-update/70378078/

This last article says Middlebury Police are planning to provide an update on the case sometime today, but it's not clear if there will be a press conference or if they are just releasing another statement. They say they're providing the update because they've been inundated with press calls since the news broke.

Over the last 50 years, Durst moved around a lot and lots of women disappeared. Odds would favor some geographic ties. There are some interesting links between Durst and Karen Mitchell but certainly not enough to base a prosecution. If Lynne really visited his store and was at a bus stop across the street when last seen, it would again be "interesting" but hardly evidence of anything.

Unfortunately, back in 1971, the disappearance of a young person was not given the attention it would be given today. Kids really did "run away" and seek out counter-culture (hippy) communities where they could blend in and disappear. Most disappearances like Lynne's were runaway situations and law enforcement only went through the motions. If the missing person was over 18, often there was just a missing person report filed and no investigation. In this case there was a real investigation and a number of witness statements were taken.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious38
Back