VT VT - Lynne Kathryn Schulze, 18, Middlebury, 10 Dec 1971

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What nags at me is how certain police are that she was killed. Granted, this many years later, that's an easy conclusion to draw; but at the time they had no way of knowing she hadn't simply run off. The family, too, is quoted as saying to media that they "believe she died shortly after she disappeared."

In an era where teenagers were running off and "dropping out" of society on a regular basis, what convinced them this was not likely in Lynne's case, and what on earth happened to prevent Durst from being (officially) a suspect until last summer??

So odd. I feel like police must have some kind of forensic evidence--must have had it all along--but for some reason couldn't announce it publicly, though it seems (if in fact they have it) that they made it known to the family.

They took at least one family member out to show them the national park last summer, and I feel they would have only done this if they were certain Lynne's body was in there somewhere. It was meant as some kind of closure, or attempt at it--that's my take, anyway. I don't think you'd take a grieving person to a national forest and say, "Here's one of the many places she might be." I just don't see it. And considering that, while there, they explained "We didn't have enough resources to search this at the time," it sounds an awful lot like they found something. Or at least that they're telling family they found something--unfortunately, nothing can really be taken at face value. But the fact that police stuck with this case so long--some of the primary investigators have since died--means it's still very important to them. I find that amazing, and am grateful they still care.

All Good Things (Durst's store) was 15 Court St; just a few blocks up is Washington; hang a right and then another right on Seminary, which becomes Quarry and leads to the woods. I believe it's about a 10 min drive but would have to double ck; might be 15.
Yep! It's about 10 minutes by car. Quarry Road intersects into route 116/case street which runs parallel to the mountain range/national forest.
2b50eb523a58d3881e5fce67a033fcc0.jpg

That last little hump on the left is near where Quarry road intersects with 116/case st. 116 travels along the base of that mountain range.

There is a rock Quarry at the base of that hump and a hiking trail to the top to Abby Pond. It's one of our favorite hikes. The trail follows a brook, so you can stop and take a dip. There are also lesser traveled trails up there and it is a popular snowshoeing destination. An activity that was actually very popular with the folks who frequented his store.

I can drive the route and record a video after I drop my kids off at school. The elementary school is right by where the health food store was.

I can drive the route and record a video after I drop my kids off at school. The elementary school is right by where the health food store was.

Thank you so much, Mountaingazer!

There's been a new development (well, to me).

Turns out Durst lived in Ripton, VT, smack in the middle of the forest.

I wonder why cops brought up to the family, this past summer, that back then they "hadn't had enough manpower to properly search" Green Mountain National Forest?

Seems odd to now be offering excuses for not searching a location which would have meant nothing to them at the time other than a place someone could get lost. But why apologize for not searching the forest as opposed to, for example, not dragging the creek and river?

Supposedly there was no forensic evidence Lynne had been harmed at all, much less harmed in that specific forest, nor was there any knowledge (allegedly) that a serial killer lived there.

Does the (possible) guilt mean they had found some early evidence, or received a tip, that she might be in that forest, but perhaps they hadn't been able to follow up on it? Or that perhaps they were aware of Durst but, again, didn't have the resources (or were otherwise stymied) in pursuing it?

Is anyone aware of Durst's specific address in Ripton, by chance? The Quarry Rd route isn't off the table by any means as a possibility, but we should also consider Hwy 7 to 125 into Ripton. Durst sold the house in 1972, the year following Lynne's disappearance.

I fully accept their statement that they didn't have manpower to properly search. Even today there is no way to properly search. Ripton sits about halfway up the mountain with dense forest all around. These are the oldest mountains in the world, so rivers have cut paths that leave cliffs of 100-200 feet on either side. Rock is old and crumbly so they face rock slides and erosion. And there is just so much forest and so many trails and places to pull off of main roads. Then there are also swamps up there.

There is just no way to safely and thoroughly search up there unless you know a pretty exact location.

I took video of the court street/Quarry road route this morning. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to upload? I keep getting errors :(

I am going to ask P.I., quoted in this article, http://addisonindependent.com/201503police-shed-light-durst-shulze-link where in Ripton he lived. She is a long time family friend and I went to school with her children. It gives me an excuse to stop into my favorite store :D

There was also a little hippie almost commune type place up in Ripton. I don't know when it started, but my parents used to frequent it in the 80's. I remember my dad talking about it. He will actually be visiting soon, so I plan to rack his brain while he is here!

I am going to ask P.I., quoted in this article, http://addisonindependent.com/201503police-shed-light-durst-shulze-link where in Ripton he lived. She is a long time family friend and I went to school with her children. It gives me an excuse to stop into my favorite store :D

There was also a little hippie almost commune type place up in Ripton. I don't know when it started, but my parents used to frequent it in the 80's. I remember my dad talking about it. He will actually be visiting soon, so I plan to rack his brain while he is here!

Wow, that would be outstanding! Really appreciate it. Looks like such a beautiful area.

I fully accept their statement that they didn't have manpower to properly search. Even today there is no way to properly search. Ripton sits about halfway up the mountain with dense forest all around. These are the oldest mountains in the world, so rivers have cut paths that leave cliffs of 100-200 feet on either side. Rock is old and crumbly so they face rock slides and erosion. And there is just so much forest and so many trails and places to pull off of main roads. Then there are also swamps up there.

There is just no way to safely and thoroughly search up there unless you know a pretty exact location.

I took video of the court street/Quarry road route this morning. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to upload? I keep getting errors :(

I totally accept it, too - just wondering why, at the time of her disappearance when most honestly assumed she'd run away, that they felt like they had to search that forest. It's 10 miles from Middlebury--it seems natural to search it now, because we know Durst lived there, and we now assume Durst or someone killed her and hid the body, but again--why presume it's in the national forest? Why not Otter Creek, or the river, or any number of other forest patches around Middlebury in other directions?

It just seems to me that it was odd for police to presume they needed to search that specific area of forest, unless they had at least something--a tip, a sighting, some hint--that that forest was more important than some other areas.

One media article made it sound as if, possibly, it was in fact the A.I./P.I. property Durst moved intobut I realized the sentence could be referring to the town of Ripton rather than a specific house.

"Israel owned a property in the town of Ripton, up in the mountains 10 miles outside of Middlebury. "Where we lived up in Ripton, it's a little spooky up there. After we moved out, Durst moved in,” said Durst." [I'm presuming "said Durst" is a typo for "said Israel."]

http://www.mychamplainvalley.com/news/vermont/middlebury-man-im-not-surprised-at-all-about-durst

Yes! The long trail does run through part of this.

Hah! I was through there about 3-4 years ago when Mr. Carbuff and a friend hiked the Long Trail. They did it in sections.

Is there an ice cream store downtown next to an art and craft store?

Wait, I just realized that describes every small town in that part of Vermont :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hah! I was through there about 3-4 years ago when Mr. Carbuff and a friend hiked the Long Trail. They did it in sections.

Is there an ice cream store downtown next to an art and craft store?

Wait, I just realized that describes every small town in that part of Vermont :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You might actually be thinking of Randolph which is straight over on the other side of the mountain. It has a Belmains (might have still been Ben Franklin's at that point) which has a lot of craft stuff and then a little attached scoop shop. It would be on the way if you were coming from the south (Boston area).

We have a Ben Franklin's craft store here in Middlebury that didn't have an ice cream shop 3-4 years ago. It does have a yogurt city right next door now though.

"Durst lived in Ripton, Paula Israel, co-owner of Wild Mountain Thyme clothing store in Middlebury, told the Rutland Herald.

Hilda Billings, 94, was postmaster for the tiny town in the 1970s and has no recollection of Durst. Quite a few people in town rented out camps or cottages to summer people from New Jersey and New York, or to writers who were affiliated with Middlebury College's mountaintop Bread Loaf Campus, she said."

http://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/...ive-works-a-big-time-case/Content?oid=2546937

"Durst lived in Ripton, Paula Israel, co-owner of Wild Mountain Thyme clothing store in Middlebury, told the Rutland Herald.

Hilda Billings, 94, was postmaster for the tiny town in the 1970s and has no recollection of Durst. Quite a few people in town rented out camps or cottages to summer people from New Jersey and New York, or to writers who were affiliated with Middlebury College's mountaintop Bread Loaf Campus, she said."

http://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/...ive-works-a-big-time-case/Content?oid=2546937
This is the area I have been picturing in my head as a possible location. It is kind of a plateau, that houses bread loaf as well as a cross country skiing area also owned by the college. It is also the location of one of the poet Robert Frost's favorite houses to get away to and write. It is very isolated and "creepy". Also tons of winding dirt roads in the forest and tons of places to hide a body unfortunately.

One media article made it sound as if, possibly, it was in fact the A.I./P.I. property Durst moved intobut I realized the sentence could be referring to the town of Ripton rather than a specific house.

"Israel owned a property in the town of Ripton, up in the mountains 10 miles outside of Middlebury. "Where we lived up in Ripton, it's a little spooky up there. After we moved out, Durst moved in,” said Durst." [I'm presuming "said Durst" is a typo for "said Israel."]

http://www.mychamplainvalley.com/news/vermont/middlebury-man-im-not-surprised-at-all-about-durst
I found this article this afternoon and have been trying to figure out how to address it. Quite honestly, it gave me chills. I love Paula. She is a kind soul and I have no doubts she is completely uninvolved in any of this. But there are far too many things about her husband that give me pause. I am not going to go into details with respect to P.I. But some things I know as fact, some are just the type of small town rumors that are probably based on fact at some point but have no doubt evolved over time.

There are just enough coincidences in my mind at this point that I think it's best I do not attempt to ask PI, any questions.

I still fully plan on asking my dad questions when he is here though and will be happy to answer location questions of course. Also, I actually have to travel that way tomorrow to return my daughter's leased ski equipment to the Snowbowl (downhill ski area owned by the college at the peak of the mountain, past Ripton and Breadloaf). So I can at least video the drive and get some pictures of the bread loaf area.

You might actually be thinking of Randolph which is straight over on the other side of the mountain. It has a Belmains (might have still been Ben Franklin's at that point) which has a lot of craft stuff and then a little attached scoop shop. It would be on the way if you were coming from the south (Boston area).

We have a Ben Franklin's craft store here in Middlebury that didn't have an ice cream shop 3-4 years ago. It does have a yogurt city right next door now though.

I think we did stop in Randolph on a different trip.

I was driving south from a trailhead on Rt. 17 heading back to Rutland, where I was staying. The ice cream store was on my right and I think it was just over a river. I didn't mean craft store that sells craft supplies, I meant a place that sells other people's crafts, like pottery wind chimes and door knockers made from horseshoes. It was right next door but I don't remember if it was in the same building.

It doesn't really matter--I'm just curious as to whether I was anywhere near the store.

I think we did stop in Randolph on a different trip.

I was driving south from a trailhead on Rt. 17 heading back to Rutland, where I was staying. The ice cream store was on my right and I think it was just over a river. I didn't mean craft store that sells craft supplies, I meant a place that sells other people's crafts, like pottery wind chimes and door knockers made from horseshoes. It was right next door but I don't remember if it was in the same building.

It doesn't really matter--I'm just curious as to whether I was anywhere near the store.
Do you or your husband know which trailhead it was? There are two maybe three I can think of on 17 that tie in with the long trail. I am guessing probably Lincoln Gap area or else Appalachian gap.

If Lincoln Gap, then yes you would have driven right by where the health food store was on your way to Rutland.

If Appalachian Gap/Buell area, then you probably would have traveled south on the other side of the mountain then up and over near Killington ski resort then down into Rutland.

My favorite portion of the long trail is actually the hike from Lincoln Gap to Appalachian Gap, it's one of the more difficult stretches but has the highest peaks and best views!

PI's help would be cool, but I'm sure we can find the property another way - only 500 people in that town. Police were out there with a bunch of family last summer, so I'm sure people are talking about it somewhere.

An interesting thing: Some sources say Lynne's case was reopened in 1992 ostensibly to enter it into a (new?) national database, but Hanley is actually quoted as saying it was opened because some things in the case needed "significant follow up."

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/2...s-robert-dursts-connection-1971-disappearance

I notice DNA samples were also taken from her family in 1992--this is according to an article in the Addison Independent, the original of which I can no longer find but one that is quoted often.

By some accounts, 1992 is the year Durst became estranged from the family and flipped (what was left of) his gourd. Seems to have been some kind of psychological watershed moment (which is saying a lot, for that guy). That's when he allegedly hit the road, became a vagabond, started dressing in drag, etc. Wondering if he spouted off about Lynne or other victims during the early stages of his freakout. Maybe a family member heard enough to call it into Vermont PD as an anonymous tip or something.

Musing a little further, he had just been denied a lot of prestige and power, in being bypassed by his brother to run the family business. Maybe he toyed with the idea of becoming famous another way, thought of ruining the family by confessing to (and committing additional) murders--something like that.

At any rate with a connection between Durst and Schulze now being suggested, it seems interesting that police reopened her case the year Durst started wacking out.

Does anyone have suggestions for uploading video? I guess I could do youtube, but I would have to create a new account, my current one has some things for work on it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikkirhea
Back