VT - Mark Hulett for raping young girl, Williston, 2005

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So let me get this straight, according to Cashman, it is wrong and worthy of incarceration to refuse to testify against your child. But murder and rape of a child, why incarcerate?
What about the rape victim that he told, a 20-year-old rape victim in 1985 that she had seen "one of the harsh realities of life," prompting the woman to leave the courtroom in tears; he later apologized for the comment.
Advocates for battered women have complained about Cashman's treatment of female victims of abuse, and about the divorce cases he presided over, which were overturned by the state Supreme court because he unfairly sided with the father. (He was barred for a time from hearing divorce cases).
Sorry, I don't believe this judge (and I use that term more from respect for the office, than for the man) should be in office.
I don't live in Vermont and some may say that since I don't vote there, it isn't any of my business. But as a judge who let's child rapists out of jail, and who doesn't think murderers should be jailed, how do I know that he won't let some guy out who will eventually end up living next to me!
He deserves the same fate as the so called Minn judge who let Duncan out on bail.

I agree that Cashman needs to be removed from the bench. Don't they have some sort of process to do that in Vermont?

On the other hand, if these folks have information about a brutal rape and refuse to devulge it, I have no sympathy for them. Their son is not a little boy for Mommy and Daddy to protect. I think their decision to go to jail rather than give information that could incriminate their son is probably the sort of parenting decision that could lead to a child growing up to brutalize others for his own pleasure.

Watched Bill O'Reilley tonight and was glad to hear his outrage over this judge's ruling. It's sad to say, but sometimes it takes the media to get something done. Get that judge off the bench!!

This is part of what we are seeing today;

Particularly controversial were Cashman's remarks during last week's sentencing hearing that he did not consider punishment alone a valid reason to impose a lengthy prison sentence.

"I started out as a just-deserts sentencer," Cashman said in court last week, according to a transcript of the proceedings. "I liked it. Across the line, pop them. Well, then I discovered it accomplishes nothing of value. It doesn't make anything better. It costs us a lot of money. We create a lot of expectation, and we feed on anger.

"Anger doesn't solve anything," the judge continued, addressing his comments about Hulett to the girl's family. "It just corrodes your own soul. And why would you want him to continue to have control over you? And if you feel anger, he's got control over you."

In Friday's motion, prosecutors took issue with Cashman's comments.

"The court clearly has strong, sincere beliefs in the rehabilitation of offenders. Vermont law requires the court to consider more than rehabilitation," reads the document, filed late Friday in Vermont District Court in Burlington. "Regardless of the sincerity of the court's beliefs, it was not legally authorized to reject 'punishment' as a sentencing factor. Unfortunately, that is what the court did."

The prosecutors who wrote the motion, Chittenden County State's Attorney Bob Simpson and Deputy Attorney General John Treadwell, encouraged Cashman to consider in re-evaluating the sentence that Hulett would receive treatment while in prison. Cashman wrote in court papers this week that he would have sentenced Hulett to serve three years if prison-based treatment had been available.

Kaplan said he has 10 business days to file a written response to Friday's request, and then Cashman is likely to set a hearing on the issue. If Cashman were to change the sentence, Hulett must consent. Under an agreement between him and Cashman made in August, Hulett may withdraw his guilty plea and proceed to trial if he would be held in prison longer than 90 days.

lostinlimaohio
user_offline.gif
vbmenu_register("postmenu_938446", true);
LostInLimaOhio

I got the name of the second "suspect", Derek Kimball. Vermont told me they do not have felony criminal cases available for viewing online. I was told that one of the news sources up there had ran a story on Kimball a few months back- 3 days of searching and I haven't come up with it as of yet.
If you are talking about the same Kimball,his bail is 25,000.00.He has 3 counts.

It will be very interesting to see how Derek Kimball's case is handled. How did these two men ever have time alone with that little girl? Were the parents aware or just stupid?

Derek Kimball's case goes to court on the 24th of this month. The Vermont judical web site has the case listed as being heard by Cashman. (I don't have the link copied, sorry I can't paste it.) I went back and did a news search- http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060114/NEWS01/601140309/1009&theme= Kimballs hearing will be with a different judge.

I'd imagine that this is the same Derek Kimball- do you have any more info on his case? I've heard he is attempting to use Huletts sentence to get a plea giving him the same.

Kimball is said to have been a close friend of Hulett's. Also there was a report that Hulett was investigated in 03 for sexually abusing this child- but they didn't have enough evidence to press charges. Her parents continued to let him stay in the home, and even share a room with her, a few times a week.

Derek Kimball has 2 sexual assault charges and 1 LL charge.

Also,Kimball is still in the facility not out on bail.

dark_shadows said:
Derek Kimball has 2 sexual assault charges and 1 LL charge.

Sounds interesting. Do you have a link to that info? I would like to read that.

Hi Mysteriew,
Apparently the newspaper said that he was released on bail.He is not out.The info is from my count.

Here is the link for this story.........
http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=4363043

This also contains what the victims aunt said to Cashman.Below are a few sentences from the story;

The transcript of a court hearing shows that Judge Edward Cashman never said he no longer believed in punishment, as some have suggest.

Later the governor said, "I believe that if a criminal court judge doesn't believe in punishment than that individual really ought not to be on the bench."

But the transcript released by the court Friday of the court hearing in question shows that Cashman said, "And I keep telling prosecutors, and they won't hear me, that punishment is not enough."

Interesting article Dark Shadows.
Cashman sure talks a good line. He still doesn't explain how kids who may live near or come into contact with Hulett are going to be protected. Or how they are going to prevent him from traveling to seek out victims. I am sorry, but just saying you have been a bad boy, rest up for 60 days then go to class once a week is not going to cut it!
Now that the prison has agreed to give him offender classes, I can only hope that he will reconsider his stand on the sentence. If he does that, then I might be able to admit it was a good thing. It paved the way for other offenders to get the treatment. But, that could also have been taken care of just as easily by making the offender treatment a part of the parole conditions after his discharge from the prison.
I still believe this judge needs to go down.
As far as Kimball, I hope the next judge takes note of the problems and will sentence him appropriately. He knows by now that people will be watching.

Does anyone know anything about the victim? Is she still with her parents, is she getting counseling?

Mysteriew,

I do not know where the girl is,I have not heard anything.
As far as Kimball,we will see when he goes to court.He is in pc and will stay there.Hulett is also pc in a different unit.
We went through alot of media last month when a sex offender was released.No town wanted him.He had a home approved prior to being released.When the people in the town found out there town meetings and plenty of media.The man was kicked out of a motel and then came to the facility for money.He ended up moving out of state.He was still on federal probation.

Later the governor said, "I believe that if a criminal court judge doesn't believe in punishment than that individual really ought not to be on the bench."

I like this governor. This judge need to be removed, and the sentence of the offender needs to be looked at by a different judge.

For those who haven't see it:

Transcripts from the Jan 4th hearing are now available. It's taken me a while to get through all the pages, but I finally did. http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/assets/pdf/BT16083116.PDF
I believe Cashman had his mind made up, and nothing anyone said was going to change it.

Quote from Trans:
"Why am I doing this? You did come forward, You did come forward. I'm concerned about your sense of understanding of what you've done. I think the girls situation, the young girls situation is remedial. Why? Because I think the doctors got a good sense of it and she's got a good caring family around her. And I think she's going to pull through this okay. My heart goes out to the families."
Reading the whole thing, you'll notice that the abuse came out not from Hulett, but because the child told someone. He didn't come forward, he was caught. That's completely different. As for the child's situation being remedial?? I'm sorry I'm not able to clean my response up enough to even begin to post it here.

What I do find strange, and maybe our Vermont friend can help is more than once Cashman mentions "Ed Town" and a 7 to ten year sentence everyone had been happy with, and that he wasn't going to go through that again. But I can't find anything on a Ed Town??

They also have released the reconsider motion that was filed: http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/assets/pdf/BT15704110.PDF

BTW: Thanks for the nice words about my coverage, to those who have said them. I've had some great help from a Vermont reader in finding different articles that I couldn't have gotten without him, and some great info from a family member. So it's less my doing, than theirs.

I read that somewhere yesterday. Evidently it was about a man who raped his daughters, and the young daughters testified against him. At the end of the trial, Judge Cashman spoke to the girls, and about how strong they were, and he asked for the courtroom to give them an ovation, which they did. Evidently it was a very moving moment.
No, evidently that was someone else. This article talks about Edwin Towne, who was released after completing a new sex offender program in 1986, and he later killed 15 year old Paulette Crickmore of Richmond.
Hope that helps.
http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/st...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-01-14-12-52-13

SewingDeb said:
It will be very interesting to see how Derek Kimball's case is handled. How did these two men ever have time alone with that little girl? Were the parents aware or just stupid?
Hi SewingDeb,
The parents are said to be mentally ill.The mother said that every sunday her daughter was abused.Hulett was in the families life from the birth of the girl.Apparently he was there in the hospital when the girl was born and was in her life since then.
The little girl is in states custody with the grandmother.

mssheila said:

I like this governor. This judge need to be removed, and the sentence of the offender needs to be looked at by a different judge.

Here is an excert;
During his speech, the Governor alluded to the recent controversy over the light sentence of a sex offender. More on that now in our Top Stories Extra. The Governor remains unhappy about the sentence, but he says it has spurred a robust dialogue about how the state should deal with sexual predators.Gov. Jim Douglas/R-Vermont "while the debate and the policy implications have centered on the sex offenders themselves, my focus will continue to be on the victims of these horrific crimes. I want improved law enforcement and enhanced registries to the prevent the first victim. I want incarceration and treatment to prevent another victim and I want the punishment to fit the crime."Among other things, the Governor's crime package asks for expanding the state's online sex offender registry and making sexual relations between school employees and students a felony.

A meeting tonight;
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060118/NEWS02/601180310/1007

Thanks for the info on Towne- it might have helped had the court docs spelled it right for me. :D

Okay, I found this on the murder of Paulette Crickmore, and I can't believe this is the case that cashman is referring to, I mean- this monster was in treatment, it appeared he was improving, and then he committed this heinous murder?? Cashman is using THIS to validate why he was giving Hulett a treatment and a short sentence?

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Presidential candidate Howard Dean was still governor of Vermont when reporters grilled him about his thoughts on the death penalty. If the victim was a child or a police officer, he mused, he would support capital punishment. He cited the kidnapping and murder of Polly Klass in 1993 as one example, and the Oklahoma City bombing case as another. Reporters pressed him: what about a Vermont case? The murder of Paulette Crickmore, he said.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]On the morning of September 10, 1986, the 15-year-old Crickmore left her Richmond home and was on her way to school walking east on the Jericho Road when she vanished. Searches of the area turned up no trace of the girl, or the book bag or flute case she carried.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]On November 19, under slate-gray skies and the winter’s first snow flurries, a deer hunter in the Duxbury woods found Paulette Crickmore’s decomposed body. She had been shot three times in the head with a small-caliber weapon.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Statewide reaction to the homicide was immediate and intense. Parents supervised school bus stops or drove their children to school. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The case quickly became an obsession for Vermont State Police investigator Leo Blais. He worried over his daughter’s safety, and he wanted a killer off the street. Within days of taking over the case, Blais had a suspect, but he had no evidence. He developed background on his suspect, watched him, and waited.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Edwin Towne’s rap sheet reads like a bad dream. In September 1972, Towne abducted and raped at gunpoint a thirteen-year-old girl. He considered killing her, then changed his mind and released her near her home in Stowe, Vermont. He was arrested, charged, posted bail, and ran. In 1973 he was charged with simple assault in Rhode Island and ran to Florida. In June 1973, he picked up a couple hitchhiking and sexually assaulted the woman. In Tennessee in May 1974, Towne was charged with carrying a sawed-off shotgun. Because of outstanding charges, Towne avoided Vermont and migrated to New Hampshire. He was arrested there in 1975 for carrying a concealed weapon. He said he felt safe only when he had a pistol with him. In July 1976 while driving to work, Towne abducted and sexually assaulted a woman at gunpoint.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Towne approached the woman three times asking her if she wanted a ride. She declined. On his fourth pass, Towne produced the gun and ordered her into his car. He drove to an isolated location, forced the woman into the woods, and assaulted her. He drove to a second location, dragged the victim into the woods and told her he was going to kill her. Instead, he sexually assaulted her again. Following a two-and-a-half hour ordeal, the woman escaped when Towne stopped his car to get gas.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sentenced to five to ten years in the New Hampshire State Prison, Towne’s minimum release date was summer 1979. In April, his case was reviewed for transfer to a minimum security facility. The chief of the mental health unit recommended the transfer noting, "He is seen as being of low average intelligence who responds to common basic human needs. The described sexual episode appears to be more the response to one of these basic needs rather than the act of any criminal. It is believed that he is the type of individual who learns by experience and profits by the consequences of his behavior."[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Towne was paroled on August 5, 1979 and settled in Manchester, New Hampshire. Ten days later, police there questioned him about the sexual assault of a nine-year-old girl. Towne quit his job and ran.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]On February 20, 1980 a young woman picked up Towne hitchhiking on a toll bridge leading to Vermont. He leaned close to her and pressed a knife against her abdomen. "Keep on driving," he said. "I’m just going to make you a little late for work."[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Two more stops; two more sexual assaults. Late that afternoon, Towne broke into a vacant camp and left the victim there while he went to get groceries. For six hours she had feared for her life. As soon as he drove away, she fled. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A jury convicted Towne in August 1980 and sentenced him to concurrent terms of ten to fifteen years. According to the sentence, Towne would not be eligible for parole until 1987. The Vermont Supreme Court overturned the conviction, and a subsequent plea agreement resulted in a sentence of from six to eight years imposed in 1983. Towne was recommended for participation in the state’s sex offender treatment program.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Opened in 1982, the program did not accept all sex offenders. Their literature states: "Only those offenders who sincerely accept responsibility for their act and acknowledge the harm inflicted by it should be considered appropriate." At the time of his arrest in 1980, Towne wanted to talk to his victim, to set things straight so he would not have to go to jail. Offenders with histories of crimes other than sexual offenses were considered ineligible. Towne’s weapons and assault charges should have excluded him. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]On September 7, 1984 Edwin Towne was back on the street.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He had shown improvement in treatment, officials said. He had opened up, admitted a lot. So they recommended his release. Towne continued in outpatient "relapse-prevention therapy" until November 13, two months after he had kidnapped and murdered Paulette Crickmore.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Detective Leo Blais had a list of twenty suspects, but one name jumped out at him. Edwin Towne lived in Richmond. Blais began following his suspect, and in late October pulled him over on Interstate-89 in South Burlington. The .32 caliber weapon under Towne’s car seat was not the murder weapon, but it was enough to involve BATF officers who later confiscated two rifles from the convicted felon. There was also the matter of an open warrant from Manchester, New Hampshire in the 1979 sexual assault of the nine-year-old girl. Blais was sure he had his man, but how could he prove it?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For this type of crime, the assailant’s weapon choice was unusual. Knives or blunt instruments are more common. Towne had used a handgun in an earlier abduction and sexual assault. Would the assailant simply dispose of the weapon? Towne felt safe only when he had a gun. He would want to know where the murder weapon was. Towne had told the cop that on the day in question he drove a load of concrete blocks from Richmond to Eden Mills where he was building a house. Towne placed himself on the Jericho Road where Paulette Crickmore emerged from a convenience store carrying her book bag and flute case and headed for school.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Call it a hunch, or the instincts of a seasoned detective. Leo Blais obtained a search warrant for Towne’s Eden Mills property. Using a metal detector, investigators found a .32 caliber handgun and three spent shell casings concealed in one of the foundation’s concrete blocks. Blais had the murder weapon.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Edwin Towne is serving a sentence of seventy years. He was the New Hampshire inmate who allegedly learned from experience and profited from the consequences of his behavior. He was the twice-convicted sex offender who impressed Vermont treatment professionals with his openness and sincerity. Towne apparently learned only one lesson: never leave a living victim. http://karisable.com/crickmore.htm[/font]
[/font]

Sorry for the long quote there... but I couldn't seem to shop it without losing something from it. This case should be the poster child for life sentencing. And Cashman wants to use it to explain this halfa**ed sentence he gave to Hulett? Anyone ever done a mental evaluation on Cashman???

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18
Back