VT VT - Matthew Houskeeper, 59, last seen getting a haircut, car missing, phone inactive, missed work, Manchester, 14 Aug 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was reading your post and it triggered a thought. Perhaps he's somewhere on land using the kayak as shelter? Very possible if it sprung a leak of some type he wasn't able to fix. I hope they are not only looking for the kayak on the water or beached.
I'm wondering if there was a leak and the kayak itself went under? Any kayakers on the thread who can comment if that is possible?

jmo

I'm wondering if there was a leak and the kayak itself went under? Any kayakers on the thread who can comment if that is possible?

jmo
I learned how to captain a canoe and paddle a kayak since I was a child. I could see a canoe sink in odd circumstances, but kayaks are buoyant. I’ve never seen one sink.

Do people normally canoe in a reserve? Just curious. Don't know anything about kayaking. I'm trying to find the link where LE says his kayak was missing from his vehicle. Can someone help? Thank you.

Do people normally canoe in a reserve? Just curious. Don't know anything about kayaking. I'm trying to find the link where LE says his kayak was missing from his vehicle. Can someone help? Thank you.
I'm looking. There's this one, very last paragraph is asking people to be looking for the kayak, which implies the above. They wouldn't be looking for the kayak if it was with his abandoned car. IMO. Edited to add: they are specifically looking for a blue and white kayak.

“The state rescue team has diligently worked with various approaches to find Matt. They have used drones, extensive sonar, boats, canine units, and divers. They have walked the wooded shoreline and beyond.”

This is the photo of the kayak the family posted on his FB account
I was wondering what kind of kayak it was. This picture definitely answers the question can it easily sink? The answer is no. It's made of plastic and (if it's like our kayaks) has styrofoam inside to help keep it buoyant.

I was wondering what kind of kayak it was. This picture definitely answers the question can it easily sink? The answer is no. It's made of plastic and (if it's like our kayaks) has styrofoam inside to help keep it buoyant.
I am thinking of a friend of our family who drowned in a calm lake in a boating incident. It was a different kind of vessel, though. Some fishing gear fell overboard his small fishing boat and our friend leaned over to fetch it, but fell out of the boat. I don't remember what happened to the boat, but the man died. FWIW, he was also drinking at the time.

I'm wondering if, for some reason, Matthew got out of the kayak while it was in the water and he went under while the boat floated away. Perhaps the kayak is along the shoreline, hidden by foliage or something like that.

Speculation only.

jmo

Circled in red is where his car was found, could have he taken the river instead of remaining on the reservoir? Maybe the current caused the kayak to catch water inside or turn around? If this is possible at all, I’m no expert.
1724337959366.jpeg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heypig06
Back