VT VT - Matthew Houskeeper, 59, last seen getting a haircut, car missing, phone inactive, missed work, Manchester, 14 Aug 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was reading your post and it triggered a thought. Perhaps he's somewhere on land using the kayak as shelter? Very possible if it sprung a leak of some type he wasn't able to fix. I hope they are not only looking for the kayak on the water or beached.
I'm wondering if there was a leak and the kayak itself went under? Any kayakers on the thread who can comment if that is possible?

jmo

I'm wondering if there was a leak and the kayak itself went under? Any kayakers on the thread who can comment if that is possible?

jmo
I learned how to captain a canoe and paddle a kayak since I was a child. I could see a canoe sink in odd circumstances, but kayaks are buoyant. I’ve never seen one sink.

Do people normally canoe in a reserve? Just curious. Don't know anything about kayaking. I'm trying to find the link where LE says his kayak was missing from his vehicle. Can someone help? Thank you.

Do people normally canoe in a reserve? Just curious. Don't know anything about kayaking. I'm trying to find the link where LE says his kayak was missing from his vehicle. Can someone help? Thank you.
I'm looking. There's this one, very last paragraph is asking people to be looking for the kayak, which implies the above. They wouldn't be looking for the kayak if it was with his abandoned car. IMO. Edited to add: they are specifically looking for a blue and white kayak.

“The state rescue team has diligently worked with various approaches to find Matt. They have used drones, extensive sonar, boats, canine units, and divers. They have walked the wooded shoreline and beyond.”

This is the photo of the kayak the family posted on his FB account
I was wondering what kind of kayak it was. This picture definitely answers the question can it easily sink? The answer is no. It's made of plastic and (if it's like our kayaks) has styrofoam inside to help keep it buoyant.

I was wondering what kind of kayak it was. This picture definitely answers the question can it easily sink? The answer is no. It's made of plastic and (if it's like our kayaks) has styrofoam inside to help keep it buoyant.
I am thinking of a friend of our family who drowned in a calm lake in a boating incident. It was a different kind of vessel, though. Some fishing gear fell overboard his small fishing boat and our friend leaned over to fetch it, but fell out of the boat. I don't remember what happened to the boat, but the man died. FWIW, he was also drinking at the time.

I'm wondering if, for some reason, Matthew got out of the kayak while it was in the water and he went under while the boat floated away. Perhaps the kayak is along the shoreline, hidden by foliage or something like that.

Speculation only.

jmo

This is the photo of the kayak the family posted on his FB account
Here is more info about this model of kayak: PELICAN | Clipper 80X Recreational Kayak | KFF08P203

Max load is 200 lbs. It is a sit inside style, but there do not appear to be grooves for a skirt. It is also fairly short. There is also no steering mechanism. This would be a recreational boat for calm waters (not for ocean or rivers).

Matthew was presumably in the reservoir, which would be ideal for this sort of kayak, though I do wonder about him approaching the weight limit.

If he did decide to venture into the river, or if the dam had a release, as others have conjectured, this boat would be difficult to paddle. In the event of a capsize, imo, it would flip over, and he could easily escape it. One would think he could make it to a shore, especially if wearing a life jacket. The boat would then remain just under the surface of the water and would not sink to the bottom. Because it is blue and white, it would be difficult to see.

Even if there had been a medical emergency, he likely would have separated from the boat if it capsized.

It sure seems that the search was extensive the first couple of days. I am astonished that nothing has turned up.

Is there any information about there as to his state of mind in the days leading up to his disappearance? He got a haircut at 9 and was supposed to be at work at 10? That doesn't leave much time for a quick kayak trip. Unless work was at 10 pm? And I know people do strange things but getting a haircut just before attempting any type of self-harm makes no sense whatsoever. It takes money, time, and most importantly, communication. Stylists and barbers can practically be therapists at times. Has there been any statements or info released from employees from the hair place? (sorry if all of this has been covered or makes no sense - I've had some cognitive impairment recently).

edit - aha - he had about 24 hours between the haircut and work shift. Plenty of time to kayak! Sorry, ya'll!

Is there any information about there as to his state of mind in the days leading up to his disappearance? He got a haircut at 9 and was supposed to be at work at 10? That doesn't leave much time for a quick kayak trip. Unless work was at 10 pm? And I know people do strange things but getting a haircut just before attempting any type of self-harm makes no sense whatsoever. It takes money, time, and most importantly, communication. Stylists and barbers can practically be therapists at times. Has there been any statements or info released from employees from the hair place? (sorry if all of this has been covered or makes no sense - I've had some cognitive impairment recently).

edit - aha - he had about 24 hours between the haircut and work shift. Plenty of time to kayak! Sorry, ya'll!

In his FB there are photos of his previous trip in July and he seems pretty OK overall. Of course one never knows unfortunately what can be behind a smile

Is there any information about there as to his state
Good thoughts. As far as I recall, the only input from the salon was on FB, so can’t be referenced here. But I believe that is where the original info about the kayak being on his car originated.

Agree that stylists are like therapists, lol! So true.

I would think that if self harm had been the intention, there would be less complicated means. Matthew seems to be close to his family. I find it doubtful that he would intend for them to suffer with a mysterious disappearance. All moo.

The reservoir is rated as 'Class 1' for paddling. So it's truly baffling that a serious event cold have occurred to an experienced paddler unless some extraordinary event occurred.
Class 1-2For novices, very little to no danger. Suitable for beginners.
Class I and II both refer to easily maneuverable, wide, unobstructed channels. Each of these rapids classes is considered safe entry-level paddling for most people who are comfortable in their vessel.
Source: Peaceful Paddle Rapids Classes Explained

I can't see him attempting to kayak on the river vs the reservoir mainly because wouldn't he then need someone to pick him up downstream and take him to retrieve his vehicle? Maybe someone more familiar with kayaking and the like can answer that?

I can't see him attempting to kayak on the river vs the reservoir mainly because wouldn't he then need someone to pick him up downstream and take him to retrieve his vehicle? Maybe someone more familiar with kayaking and the like can answer that?
Excellent suggestion. It really depends on how fast the current on the river is and how far downstream he planned to go. On some slower rivers it is possible to paddle upstream and return to your starting point.

The reservoir is rated as 'Class 1' for paddling. So it's truly baffling that a serious event cold have occurred to an experienced paddler unless some extraordinary event occurred.
Class 1-2For novices, very little to no danger. Suitable for beginners.

Here is a description of the reservoir. There are some hazards - The Sherman Reservoir straddles the Vermont and Massachusetts border. There are power generation facilities located at the Sherman Dam in Rowe, Massachusetts to the south and, a tunnel, conducting water from Harriman Reservoir 2.5 miles away (Snip) At about mile 1.6 the reservoir becomes a river with large rocks and a cold current. Eventually it becomes impassable especially in the autumn when only a minimum flow is present. (Snip) Read and observe the sign! This is where the discharge from power generation enters from Harriman Reservoir. Warnings are given by a horn and flashing light just before discharge. The water can rise quickly and create a strong current. Sherman Reservoir on VT/MA border
@FoxxTraxx has an excellent link here about the reservoir. It includes descriptions of some potential hazards.

Excellent suggestion. It really depends on how fast the current on the river is and how far downstream he planned to go. On some slower rivers it is possible to paddle upstream and return to your starting point.
The great descent of the river of nearly 1,100 feet over 50 miles furnished water power at many places.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VAres67
Back