VT VT - Paula Jean Welden, 18, Glastenbury Mountain, 1 Dec 1946

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
long, long time reader, first time poster!

Have long held a special interest in this case.
I was wondering if anyone could help me -
this thread says that Paula had a 'prominent gap between two teeth' (http://www.officialcoldcaseinvestigations.com/showthread.php?121-Paula-Jean-Welden-1946-Vermont) > I have not seen this information anywhere else, does anyone know where this fact came from or if it was true?

A long shot, but I came across this today - http://www.missing-u.ca/UIDetail.aspx?PersonID=123
I know that the age is just less, and it is a long way away, but the height fits - does anyone know if Paula had any dental work done?

Not sure about the gap. I don't remember reading about it anywhere but there. In the pictures out there of her they're either too grainy to tell or her mouth is shut, as far as I've seen anyway.

I found this article from The Schenectady Gazette which talks about a girl they thought could have been Paula but turns out it wasn't her after investigation. It mentions how they both had "four fillings in the same teeth and the same tooth out of line."
https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=foEFAAAAIBAJ&pg=2828,8712127&hl=en

I've spent some time looking through unidentified people to see if I could find any matches. A part of me still thinks her body is out there undiscovered :( Buried somewhere they didn't search.

I'm in the area for a few weeks and looking into this case.
Does anyone have the name or the "back then" address of the person that was questioned and can I assume this is the same one that had been fighting with his girlfriend?

I am also trying to retrace Paula's route but can't figure out if she went up Harbour road/Long trail Road or at the trailhead that crosses Rt9 if anyone knows. I did read somewhere that she was last seen at the Fay Fuller Camp which I am trying to establish exactly where it was.

Thanks for any info. Glad to see this thread waking up.

Not sure about the gap. I don't remember reading about it anywhere but there. In the pictures out there of her they're either too grainy to tell or her mouth is shut, as far as I've seen anyway.

I found this article from The Schenectady Gazette which talks about a girl they thought could have been Paula but turns out it wasn't her after investigation. It mentions how they both had "four fillings in the same teeth and the same tooth out of line."
https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=foEFAAAAIBAJ&pg=2828,8712127&hl=en

I've spent some time looking through unidentified people to see if I could find any matches. A part of me still thinks her body is out there undiscovered :( Buried somewhere they didn't search.

Does anyone have the name or the "back then" address of the person that was questioned and can I assume this is the same one that had been fighting with his girlfriend?

I am also trying to retrace Paula's route but can't figure out if she went up Harbour road/Long trail Road or at the trailhead that crosses Rt9 if anyone knows. I did read somewhere that she was last seen at the Fay Fuller Camp which I am trying to establish exactly where it was.

I know who you're talking about but I forget the man's name. I currently don't have the book (Clueless in New England) on me but I'm going home Sunday so I'll be able to get it. I'm pretty sure it had the man's address in there and all of the details of where she was seen last.

I have the book before me and have given it a quick look as I have no time for a complete re-read. It looks like Paula started her hike up the Long Trail on Route 9. She encountered an Ernie Whitman, then passed the France, Maxwell and Myers homes, Fay Fuller shelter and was last seen at Rose Michael's house.

I have the book before me and have given it a quick look as I have no time for a complete re-read. It looks like Paula started her hike up the Long Trail on Route 9. She encountered an Ernie Whitman, then passed the France, Maxwell and Myers homes, Fay Fuller shelter and was last seen at Rose Michael's house.

Thanks, I had ran across one mention of a book by Joseph Citro but am glad you guys mentioned this one by Michael Dooling titled Clueless in New England. It's downloaded to the Kindle and ready for night reading. (If I can wait till then...)

I too am retracing her steps as I am in the area and have time off.

I think we can rule out suicide or deliberate disappearance based on a single detail :

Before she set out on her hike, Paula invited a number of friends to come along, each of whom turned her down.

So what does that leave us with? I suppose it's possible that Paula got lost and succumbed to the elements but I find that rather unlikely, given that Paula was a a healthy, able-bodied young woman. Plus it was early December, with clear weather conditions, and a Sunday, which means she can't have been planning to go too far (especially since it was the first time she'd hiked the trail). This is bolstered by the fact that Paula never signed herself out of campus that day. (Students were, at the time, required to sign a register if they planned on being off-campus past 11:00 pm.)

All this tells me, with a fair degree of certainty, that something happened to her, most likely the result of foul play. There are no confirmed sightings of her after Fay Fuller Camp, so she had either met with some harm by that point or turned around before reaching the campground.

We know that she hitchhiked to Rt. 9 on her way out; has anyone ever considered that she perhaps caught a ride with the wrong person on the way BACK to Bennington? If so, it would broaden the suspect pool quite a bit.

What were your observations? Did you rule anything in or out?

I find it hard to believe her killer would wait 3 years to dispose of her body under a auto dealership. In bed with bronchitis, I gave her chapter in the book another read and am now open to the possibility she did leave the Long Trail after dark and hitched a ride with her killer. It also seems possible that the Gaudette man, enraged after the argument with his girlfriend, accidently ran Paula down with his truck as he tore down Harbor Road. He admitted to having "passed her" as he drove by. Also, I wonder about those footprints in the snow found by the couple who stopped to put chains on their tires. They said they followed them for 400 yards before they disappeared into the tire tracks of an automobile. So one could assume these size 5 footprints were Paula's but they were headed AWAY from Bennington. It was dark by then; maybe she became disoriented and stuck her thumb out in the wrong direction?

I find it hard to believe her killer would wait 3 years to dispose of her body under a auto dealership. In bed with bronchitis, I gave her chapter in the book another read and am now open to the possibility she did leave the Long Trail after dark and hitched a ride with her killer. It also seems possible that the Gaudette man, enraged after the argument with his girlfriend, accidently ran Paula down with his truck as he tore down Harbor Road. He admitted to having "passed her" as he drove by. Also, I wonder about those footprints in the snow found by the couple who stopped to put chains on their tires. They said they followed them for 400 yards before they disappeared into the tire tracks of an automobile. So one could assume these size 5 footprints were Paula's but they were headed AWAY from Bennington. It was dark by then; maybe she became disoriented and stuck her thumb out in the wrong direction?

or by that point didn't care what way they were going, as long as they didn't have to walk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is more information about the three bodies:

They were persons of apparent wealth, but they seem to have been people nobody knew.

The three skeletons lay beside a little used road in a sparsely populated wooded area. There had been pine boughs over them and pine needles had partially concealed them. They were also covered with remnants of a decayed striped awning, a woolen blanket, and old automobile curtains.

The police speculated they were slain elsewhere and brought to the spot late at night. There were no houses for many hundreds of yards. The bodies were left there between May 1932 and November 1932. That time period was arrived at because in May 1932, a farmer had piled logs in the location where the bodies were found, so the bodies weren't there at that time. In November 1932, a man hunting in that area smelled a strong odor of decomposition, but didn't investigate - he attributed the smell to a dead animal.

Harvard anthropologists were called in to look at the skeletons. They determined that the three were probably Jewish, or else Armenian, Syrian or Turkish. They were brunettes of short stature (the female was approx. 5'2"), with somewhat projecting upper front teeth, prominent noses, narrow faces, and receding chins.

There is no mention of any personal belongings being found with the skeletons.

Dental charts and descriptions of dental work was spread by the FBI to dental conventions in the U.S. and Canada, but no match was found. The police assumed the dental work was either not performed in the U.S., or the dentist was dead, or the dead trio were members of the dentist's family.

This sounds like a John List type of domestic homicide.

This sounds like a John List type of domestic homicide.
I agree. It also reminds me of the unsolved Bear Brook murders. In both cases a woman and children with (apparently) limited ties to the community were murdered, only discovered after a lapse of years, and never identified. It makes me wonder how often that scenario goes down without anyone knowing.

As for Paula Welden, there's precious little to go on. If foul play was involved, the killer must have been someone who lived near the trail, which would make for a short list of suspects. I don't see anyone else trolling that area for victims at that time of year and at that time of day.

Here is the text of an e-mail I received about the three unidentified skeletons:
Ms. Rogers: Dr. Adams forwarded your e-mail inquiry to me. The case you

refer to is one that our former Chief Medical Examiner, Dr. Paul Morrow,

took a special interest in. He has since retired from our office, but I

know that he worked on this case in conjunction with a group of forensic

anthropology students. Their research led to some interesting theories

about the identities of the victims, which Dr. Morrow summarized in a

paper.

He is currently working in Sydney, Australia, but I will forward this

e-mail to him, and perhaps he would be better able to field your

questions.

I hope to hear from Dr. Morrow soon, and will see if I can obtain a copy of the paper in which he summarizes the research of the anthropology students. it will be fun to see if any of our theories even come close to what his theory is regarding these three murdered people.

Is there a thread about this trio somewhere?

My thoughts: Suicide: Yes, she wanted friends to go hiking with her, BUT people who plan to commit suicide are often at peace and try to live their lives normally once they've set a day and time to do it. It's possible Paula planned to shake off her friends after hiking with them for awhile.

Suicide: No one wanted to go with her. She was already upset about her social life. Being in a depressed and irritable state, maybe their not wanting to go was the last straw. She could have taken it as major rejection. And she decided to kill herself.

Murder: She could have hitched back and was murdered.

Where did the dogs lose her scent?

Paula Jean Welden
  • paula_jean_welden_1.jpg
  • paula_jean_welden_2.jpg
  • paula_jean_welden_3.jpg
  • paula_jean_welden_4.jpg
  • paula_jean_welden_5.jpg
Welden, circa 1946
  • Missing Since 12/01/1946
  • Missing From Bennington, Vermont
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • SexFemale
  • RaceWhite
  • Date of Birth10/19/1928 (91)
  • Age 18 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'5, 122 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A red parka with a fur-trimmed hood, blue jeans, size 6 1/2 or 7 white Top-Sider sneakers with heavy soles, and a small gold ladies' Elgin wristwatch with a narrow black band. The watch has the repairer's marking "13050 HD" scratched on the inside of the back case.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Welden has a grayish-colored scar on her left knee, a small scar under her left eyebrow, and a vaccination scar on her right thigh. She has a cleft chin and an upturned nose.
Details of Disappearance
Welden was a sophomore at Bennington College in Bennington, Vermont at the time of her disappearance. She was last seen on December 1, 1946. She worked the breakfast and lunch shifts at the dining hall, came back to her dormitory room in Dewey Hall and spoke to her roommate for awhile before saying she was going for to go to take a study break and go for a hike. She didn't say where she was headed.

Welden left campus shortly after 2:30 p.m. She was probably carrying little or no money at the time, and she left behind an uncashed check her parents had sent her for living expenses. She was also under-dressed for the cold weather.

Welden was hitchhiking near the Bennington campus when a passing motorist picked her up at 2:45 p.m. She told him she was going to hike on the Long Trail off Route 9, near Glastenbury Mountain. The driver dropped her off on Route 9, about three miles from her destination. Several others saw her at that day walking on the trail.

The last confirmed sighting of Welden was at 4:00 p.m., when she spoke to a man on the trail and asked her how far it extended. He told her it went all the way to Canada. The sun set at about 5:00 p.m. and it began snowing a few hours after that, accumulating three inches.

Welden has never been heard from again. Her roommate became concerned the next morning when she realized she'd never returned home the previous night. Later that morning, she notified the school authorities of Welden's disappearance.

At the time, Bennington students were required to sign themselves out if they planned to stay out past 11:00 p.m., then check in with the school security officer upon their return; Welden had done neither of those things. When she failed to attend her classes the following Monday, Bennington College officials notified her family and the police.

An extensive search of the Long Trail and its environs turned up no sign of Welden and no significant clues. The search was hampered by the fact that Vermont had no state police at the time. Eventually, officials from Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York stepped in to help.

Investigators initially believed Welden had gotten lost in the mountains and died of exposure, but as time passed without their finding any sign of her, they began to consider other theories.

Authorities looked into Welden's background to see if she might have left of her own accord. She had never had a steady boyfriend and she was a good student, majoring in art, but she had lately become less interested in the subject. She found herself drawn to music and botany instead and may have been thinking of changing her major.

Although there were reports that she was somewhat depressed at the time of her disappearance, her family and friends said she only had normal problems for a girl her age and was not unhappy enough to commit suicide or run away from home. She left all her belongings behind, and her family stated she was not the type of person to leave without warning.

There is no hard evidence of foul play in Welden's disappearance, but many people believe she was murdered and buried somewhere in near the Long Trail.

Welden lived with her parents and three younger sisters in Stamford, Connecticut when she was not in school. She enjoyed painting in oils and watercolors, pencil and charcoal sketching, and playing the guitar, and she was physically active and an experienced hiker and camper. In part because of her father's lobbying, in July 1947 Vermont passed a law creating a state police force.

Welden's disappearance remains unsolved; there has been no indication of her whereabouts since 1946.

LINK:
Paula Jean Welden – The Charley Project

Found this online:
"Investigators discovered that one of the last people to see Welden alive was a lumberjack named Fred Gadette, who lived along Harbour Road. Gadette was in the midst of an argument with his girlfriend when Welden walked by. Gadette stormed off in a jealous rage shortly thereafter and, depending on different statements he made, went to his shack and spent the evening by himself or he drove his truck up the travel portion of the trail (where Welden was heading). Gadette lied to police on several occasions and was a person of interest, both in 1946 and when the case was revisited in 1952. Reportedly, Gadette told at least two people that he knew within a hundred feet where Welden was buried, but later claimed it was just idle talk. When no evidence was found that a crime had actually been committed, no body was ever discovered, and no forensic clues were identified, this avenue of the investigation ended."

If you search the road before the trail there are many houses along the way. I tried to research where Gadette was living at the time, oddly enough there is a house and a barn that is within a few feet from where the trail starts. I wonder if that was his house? Also that he was a lumberjack, he would be VERY familiar with the woods. Where was he working at the time of the crime? I think the area around his house should be researched along with areas he was working, my guess she is at one of those locations. Was his girlfriend ever questioned? Neighbors?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025
Back