Found Deceased VT - Roberta Martin, 82, neigh went to check on her and didn't find her at home, suspicious, Enosburgh, Franklin County, 16 Jul 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Now I can tell you that the day Darren Martell was arrested in St. Albans for the lewd and lascivious conduct, a friend of ours saw him when they went home for an early lunch. Our friend lives near the school. Martell was acting so strangely that our friend was going to call police, but then they saw a police car and waved it down. They told the officers about the guy and described him and what he was wearing, and the officers said they were looking for him. He was arrested soon after that.

Yes, scary to think our friend saw and reported this guy who had killed Roberta.

This Vermont Digger story has a lot more details, with more to come:

Police arrest St. Albans man for murder in the death of 82-year-old Enosburgh woman
More information is expected to be available later Friday when the affidavit of probable cause in support of the aggravated murder charge against Martell is made public. If convicted of aggravated murder, Martell faces a mandatory sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Given what Martell was witnessed doing when LE first approached him, I fear this will turn out to have been a sexually-motivated crime.

Poor Roberta.

I hope not. My understanding is he was closer to the school than the 55+ community, though I don't know exactly where police first saw him. I only know he was caught after he ran from police. Not that it makes me feel any better that he was possibly behaving this way near a K-8 school...

I had missed the detail that he was arrested masturbating in a CEMETARY. Smh.

Martell has been in jail since police had previously arrested him on an unrelated lewd and lascivious charge Monday morning after he was spotted masturbating in the Greenwood Cemetery

I had missed the detail that he was arrested masturbating in a CEMETARY. Smh.

Martell has been in jail since police had previously arrested him on an unrelated lewd and lascivious charge Monday morning after he was spotted masturbating in the Greenwood Cemetery

Well, the cemetery is right next to the school, so I'm not sure yet whether that is relevant (but I had the same thought). The cemetery stretches along the entire property of the school and the sports fields, and it abuts the 55+ housing community.

Now I can tell you that the day Darren Martell was arrested in St. Albans for the lewd and lascivious conduct, a friend of ours saw him when they went home for an early lunch. Our friend lives near the school. Martell was acting so strangely that our friend was going to call police, but then they saw a police car and waved it down. They told the officers about the guy and described him and what he was wearing, and the officers said they were looking for him. He was arrested soon after that.

Yes, scary to think our friend saw and reported this guy who had killed Roberta.

This Vermont Digger story has a lot more details, with more to come:

Police arrest St. Albans man for murder in the death of 82-year-old Enosburgh woman

How awful and scary! I'm glad your friend is safe and was able to wave down a police officer, who was then able to find and arrest Martell.

I'm "glad" that Darren Martell, Jr. was arrested, in the sense that I'm glad someone is being held accountable for this heinous crime, but I'm heartbroken and furious about Roberta's murder.

When Martell was in custody for public masturbation but hadn't yet been charged with murder, I got a little ahead of myself and posted here what I'd found on his FB pages. My comment was one of the ones admins had to remove. I want to be careful to follow the rules. Am I now allowed to post links to Darren Martell, Jr's FB pages? He has ten different FB accounts. Maybe more, but that's what I've personally found so far.

I spent at least 3 hours down the rabbit hole, going through all of his FB pages, with public posts dating back to at least 2018. He has a surprisingly large amount of content set to "public."

My general impressions of and findings from his 10 FB accounts:

- Martell's emotional problems and relationship failures are a predominant theme. He frequently blames others for the relationships ending, doesn't accept that the relationships are over, etc. There's some junky, awkward poetry he wrote to a woman, begging her to give him another chance. In another post, he complains about an ex-girlfriend allegedly not thinking for herself, and instead letting her family members' opinions sway her, which led to her breaking up with him. (Please realize I'm heavily paraphrasing! His writing has poor spelling, grammar, and sentence structure, and is often crude).
- Simultaneously, Martell admits flat out that he is a "jerk" (he used worse language; I'm toning it down), has an anger problem/temper, and made mistakes that drove people away. Lots of whiny posts about how he wants to be a better person but doesn't know what to do.
- Lots of photos (on one of the accounts) of the marijuana plants he was growing.
- For years, he has intermittently posted covert and overt threats of killing himself.
- He doesn't take responsibility for his crimes and harm to others. He has a whiny post about how a woman was harassing him by falsely accusing him of arson in Essex, and he wanted to tell the police about her harassing him. He writes a lot about how he has changed/is changing/will change, whining about people not believing him or not giving him another chance.

I don't know how the charges against him will play out... but I'm so enraged by him, and hate to think of him being the last person Roberta saw and heard and felt as her life ended. I expect that he will be defensive and whiny and claim it wasn't him, he was set up, or it somehow wasn't his fault, blah blah blaaahhhh. That's what his pattern has been, from what I've seen of his writing over the years.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back