Found Deceased WA - Cheryl DeBoer, 54, Mountlake Terrace, 8 February 2016 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible she left a note and her phone and purse in the car?
It was renoved by someobe?_

Good points.

If Cheryl walked from her car to this culvert, is a woman walking along that road at that time of day something people would expect to see? Would it be memorable to see someone walking there at that time of day?

I dont think many ppl take notice.
Im wondering if.
LE got more text messages off her phone than we heard about.
If she killed herself there was a trigger something maybe happened to make her do this this day.
Im not convinced its murder

If LE is having this much trouble establishing if this was a murder or not, then the chances of actually trying and convicting somebody for it is almost nill. They themselves are creating reasonable doubt just in the media releases and M.E. reports.

If and when the toxicology reports comes back (in our lifetime) , and the only thing showing up in her system was black coffee and whatever she had for dinner the night before, it's going to be problematic for LE.

If LE can't provide an accurate description of how she was able to go 1.4 miles on a busy street without a single witness coming forward to say they saw her......that's going to be a problem. How do we know a witness hasn't come forward ? Because if one had, LE would be shouting it from the rooftops and using that information to fill in the final piece of the puzzle.

Do any of the locals know if there are ANY surveillance cameras on the route Cheryl would have taken to walk to the culvert from where her car was parked?

Local 4:30 AM broadcast on KIRO states the blood in the car was Cheryls and "animal"

Not really surprising.

People buy groceries. People buy meat at the grocery store. Sometimes meat packages leak. Pork, beef, liver, chicken ......they all make a big mess if you put a bag of groceries in the seat next to you and one of the packages leaks. Sometimes cleaning up the mess is a big mess.

Household pets being carried around in the car that are injured or menstruating is another good source.

If the blood they found turns out to be animal blood, most likely this would be the explanation.

Her car was 20 years old. I'm sure it's carried a whole lot of groceries in the passenger seat through the years. Much of it maybe even recently.

In reading and learning about exit bags...makes me think regarding both sides
Of the fact that gases or helium in bag can make you pass out QUICKLY.

If homicide, who would have easy access to the gases and know what to down? How long would helium stay in bag before they put it over persons head?
If suicide, she would be confused and not know where she ended up. Maybe she was originally just sitting on the side, nit even thinking that she would end up inside Colvert.

Did you see the movie ' The Life Of David Gale" ?

Yes, that scene was one of the first images that flashed in my head when I first read the cause(s) of death, and couldn't get out of my head how horrible this is. I also think if this is a murder, it was someone close to her (not a family member) who may have used this method as a way to try to point LE away from murder. If that's the case, I would think the person would have to be fairly strong to get a plastic bag held in place without a major fight from Cheryl. I would think the person would have scratches on their hands although they may have had gloves on so their fingerprints wouldn't be on anything.

I also think if LE has evidence this was murder, that it's possible they have a POI they may be watching closely and based on what evidence they may have at this point, they believe this to be an isolated incident, which could explain the comments from LE yesterday that seemed to minimize the possibility of homicide. They may be trying to get the person they suspect to slip up. Although it seems at this point they have enraged the public who from the sampling I saw, are not believing this is suicide and are angry. If this was murder, this killer wanted Cheryl to suffer and it seems really personal. Maybe to cover their bases, they took her wallet so LE would think it was a robbery gone wrong when they started their investigation.

At the end of the day, and this might just be a personal bias which I openly admit, I just don't want to see another family go through what mine went through due to a botched murder investigation that ended in no charges due to police covering their own mistakes and a DA who went along with it. They better have pretty solid evidence of suicide if that ends up being the ME's ruling. Praying for the DeBoer family.

rsbm

And, as if it wasn't enough she is supposed to have died from two causes knowing us that each one of this causes would be enough to kill a person?

How can a person die from asphyxiation and ALSO from drowning? Or from drowning and ALSO from asphyxiation?

rsbm

The plastic bag was used as a control mechanism. "If you behave and sit still, I'll let you get a breath of air. The harder you fight, the tighter I hold the bag". She could have been restrained by simply being put into a chokehold or being straddled and sat on. This would have resulted in very few defensive wounds as well as little to no bruising. This act would have been a team effort by at least two individuals, one driving, one controlling her and more than likely it occurred in a large vehicle such as a van.

Rsbm

If you shoot someone, you leave behind evidence. If you stab someone, you leave behind evidence. If you smother someone....well, depending on the circumstances, there may be little evidence left. The plastic bag itself is the murder weapon. I'm sure after 5 or 6 days in the water, there wasn't any fingerprints left to lift from the bag. The cuts on her fingers may have come from grappling with the person holding it over her head.

When they pulled up next to the culvert and tossed her out, it was believed she was dead. She wasn't. Unconscious yes, but still breathing. Maybe a pinhole was torn in the bag, maybe it wasn't sealed completely around her neck, but she was still alive. Had the culvert been dry that day and no water running through it, she may have actually survived this attack. This is where the conflicting cause of death is stemming from, it appears to be both, but we all know it has to be one or the other. The bag over the head leans towards asphyxiation, the water in the lungs leans towards drowning.

Rsbm

Your posts reminded me of little Gabbi Doolan. Her COD was manual strangulation AND drowning.
http://wkrn.com/2015/11/20/arrest-made-in-7-year-old-ky-girls-murder/

If and when the toxicology reports comes back (in our lifetime) , and the only thing showing up in her system was black coffee and whatever she had for dinner the night before, it's going to be problematic for LE.

On the Celebrating Cheryl FB page, Lenore Peterson (Cheryl's mother) indicates that there is no evidence of drugs in Cheryl's body. Could the toxicology results be complete and not yet released to the public? Perhaps she just means that there is no evidence of the presence of drugs (helium tank, drug packaging near Cheryl's body or in her vehicle, etc)?

Jmo, but LE does not take the "easy way" out when determining suicide vs. homicide. They know that families often have a much harder time accepting and believing suicide. It is likely the last thing they want to conclude. Again jmo.

Wow. I have just read through pages and pages and I will need to read them again.

I know many have weighed in but i do not understand how there can be two causes of death
Wouldn't one or the other cause death first? Not spontaneously?

It is obvious to me, (note.. To me) that LE really do not know how this happened, they seem to be on the fence. I don't feel a cover up. I feel they just don't know
They are still checking computer records etc. I expect they are looking for research done by Cheryl or correspondence.
They certainly are not sure there is anything random about any of this.

About Cheryls personal belongings. Where she was found and where she was put in or entered the culvert could be totally different areas .

My sincere condolences to the DeBoer Family
It is most difficult to lose a loved one, even more so when you can not make sense of it
I hope that you get all of the answers you require

This continues to have all the hallmarks of a suicide. Plastic bag over the head, head in the water, the text that was sent, and the self inflicted hand wounds...

Those that are thinking otherwise are overcomplicating things. The text to the coworker was misdirection to buy herself some time to complete the act. As to the why and where she chose, no one knows these things, I've seen many suicides where you wonder why they chose that location and went to all the trouble they did to get there.

"Doubling up" of suicide methods is far more common than you would think. I've seen people that drank poison and then shot themselves.

I know there are family members on here, and I'm sorry for your loss.

Ive had depression before and even been suicidal in the past. I never once considered drowning myself or asphyxiating myself, I considered medication and gun as well as cutting myself...don't most people consider these moreso than others, especially women? they were finger wounds, not exactly hand wounds. I think there are much easier ways to go than putting a bag over your head. I think she would tell her coworker she was sick or something and leave a note to her family so they had closure and not leave them wondering. She seemed like a considerate enough person! As for the location, she couldve been driving around wondering where...but really that is if something horrible happens all of a sudden. If she had been thinking of this for a long time, I think she would go somewhere much deeper water and more remote so bystanders and kids etc wouldn't come across her. I think furthermore if she had done the bag thing, she would have drugged herself first so as not to feel much pain...suffocating doesn't sound too painless. Not for a second do I think this is suicide.

Mrs. DeBoer is the victim of an horrendous crime as are her family members. I will say it again - Mrs. DeBoer DID NOT ditch her belongings and walk 1.5 miles to a cold, watery culvert to crawl in there, secure a plastic bag over her head and kill herself. She was taken by force and murdered. MURDERED!!! LE may not have a clue and the killer(s) may not have left a lot of evidence, but there is something, somewhere that will prove murder and will prove who did this.

It is beyond my comprehension that LE can state that there is nothing to suggest a brutal homicide but there is blood in her car, her personal items are missing and the cause of death is asphyxiation due to a plastic bag secured around her head AND fresh water drowning in a freaking subsurface culvert. Is this Mayberry and Barney Fife is the spokesperson?

LE needs to announce that there is a murderer to be captured and his last known attack was in quaint little ol' Mountlake Terrace, his dumping ground a sweet little suburban neighborhood and that she was forcibly abducted near the park and ride that hundreds of the unassuming public use every day, a block from the police station, across from the assisted living centers, on a busy street in morning rush hour traffic. This is a bold killer and everyone should be on the alert.

Why there are no surveillance cameras telling the story is beyond me; there are cameras everywhere. This killer/these killers managed to elude them all? I don't believe it for a second.

It infuriates me that LE is not forthcoming and instead is telling people that they are waiting on tox results before they reach a conclusion on manner of death. Meanwhile, the public is going around doubting murder and thinking 'well, maybe it was suicide and we are all safe and secure with our great LE in charge'.

They need to release depictions of the clothes she was wearing, her jewelry, her purse, her phone, her wallet, her key ring - anything that may be noticed now or would jog someone's memory from that morning. Just a photo of her face will not be useful at all if someone saw her from behind or found an empty wallet in a trash bin. I pray that the family is getting more info than the public but the public will bring in the leads.

Mrs. DeBoer's life mattered, her death is not of her own doing and I am 100% certain that there is a killer loose in Mountlake. Someone needs to wake everyone up and the citizens need to shake the trees until the murderer is found.

May God rest her soul and may He shed light on her killer.

If police remotely suspect homicide, all of this should be done immediately upon someone going missing. I wholeheartedly agree!

It would be difficult to walk to the culvert and not appear on any surveillance systems (home or business), but unless LE requested all of this immediately, I doubt it's still there. A woman walking down the street is not remarkable. I wouldn't be surprised if there were no witnesses even if she did walk to the culvert. I still doubt she did though. I don't buy the suicide theory yet! Most of the local community does not appear to buy it either by the look of comments. I doubt her family members will ever get the answers they deserve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members