Found Deceased WA - Cheryl DeBoer, 54, Mountlake Terrace, 8 February 2016 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A general note after a couple of days being present/absent on this thread:
Sometimes this thread becomes heated and a little repetitive with each poster stating their opinion with vehemence (again and again). Sometimes the tone becomes condescending or scathing towards those who do not agree. Unless you are Pickard, the ME or an insider, maybe we all should consider every point of view with the same weight and be gentle with our rebuttals. Right now, we all have the same information and we are trying to make sense of it the best we can; some see one scenario, some see another. As many have found, most scenarios have a problem or two. But let's not trash on people that have concluded or are leaning one way or another, suicide or homicide. Let's keep the discussion open and inclusive. We never know what the next bit of information will be so rather than shooting down a poster with a different opinion, please offer reasons why or a contradicting link if able.

A general note after a couple of days being present/absent on this thread:
Sometimes this thread becomes heated and a little repetitive with each poster stating their opinion with vehemence (again and again). Sometimes the tone becomes condescending or scathing towards those who do not agree. Unless you are Pickard, the ME or an insider, maybe we all should consider every point of view with the same weight and be gentle with our rebuttals. Right now, we all have the same information and we are trying to make sense of it the best we can; some see one scenario, some see another. As many have found, most scenarios have a problem or two. But let's not trash on people that have concluded or are leaning one way or another, suicide or homicide. Let's keep the discussion open and inclusive. We never know what the next bit of information will be so rather than shooting down a poster with a different opinion, please offer reasons why or a contradicting link if able.
Thanks! Great post! And I just want to add that sometimes I think I sound rude because I tend to give succinct answers and posts. I just happen to communicate concisely. It's not personal. :)

I wonder if LE found any prints in the blood, fingerprints or handprints.

Regarding the suicide theory--
You just never know what someone is going through. My best friend since childhood killed herself in August. It was a complete shock. She hadn't said anything, she'd been going to work, had a vacation planned with her family, continued normal social engagements, etc. She was at home alone in the afternoon and she hung herself. Her husband found her. There was no note. Nothing. I fought the fact she had killed herself because I just couldn't believe she would leave her 9 year old son. She was a great mother.
She had been on antidepressants for years and unbeknownst to anyone she had stopped taking them, cold turkey, and it plunged her into a dark place which she kept to herself.

I'm not advocated that Cheryl committed suicide. I'm just not sure. There are still a lot of questions. However, it is possible she had been depressed and just didn't share it with anyone. Just like my friend. RIP.

Also, I didn't provide links about medication half life and metabolism, because it varies by medication. Also, most of my information comes from my family members and medical books and journals I read from my mom. And I'm terrible at explaining anything scientific. That's why I offered the information and said you don't have to believe me. But I do recommend doing some Google searches on specific medications you're interested in. That may help explain what I was saying earlier. Whisper Mom seems to understand, too.

I'm very sorry about your friend; it must be hard.

Her suicide is more typical; they reach a place where they see no way to go forward. Without fanfare in a very simple way they take their life.

Please don't blame yourself. She wouldn't want you to and you couldn't know.

I think it is "most likely" a suicide, as it has the hallmarks of many suicides. The only thing that doesn't fit in is the "animal" blood. I don't think I am any more dismissive than people who insist it is a homicide...

I'm open to it being a homicide if more evidence comes back from the remaining forensics.

I am NOT involved in this case. I know many people who are and I have deliberately not asked them anything about the case. It would absolutely not be proper for me to comment (even anonymously) on a case I was involved in. I would wind up with my credentials stripped for sure.

My comments are intended to cover the general investigative process, how these things "usually go", and then my own theorizing which I hopefully delineate.

The only two unusual elements in this case are:
a) the amount of media attention (compared to other similar cases you've probably not heard of)
b) the animal blood

Thanks for your reply! That clears up some confusion for me about how to 'frame' your posts. I mean that in the way that some posts you make would get a different meaning if you were an (LE) insider in the case. I apologize for my late response - I haven't been able to be on here all day until now. Thanks again. :)

There are a few questions I have and I am hoping Stryker can answer if he sees this: Forgive me if you have.

Did your Mom drive that particular car on a daily basis to work?

Were there any problems with the car?

Were the tabs current on the car?

Did any neighbors happen to see her getting in the car that morning? (I would think LE would have said so but you never know).

Did she keep her car fairly clean inside?

Did she happen to take a tote bag to work or did she use take out bags as her tote bag?

I am just curious thanks!

There are only certain reasons you'd call in the FBI:
- plane crash (FBI has jurisdiction until clear that it was not a crime)
- child abduction/kidnapping
- crime across state lines, terrorism etc.
- needing some kind of advanced forensics (although to be honest that's few and far between. the FBI forensic people have some interesting stuff, but the application isn't that common - I'd have to look at my notes to rattle off the stuff they had)
- profiling (which really doesn't happen too often and is more for serial killers)
- K9s .... true story, the FBI K9 cadaver dog training program was designed and set up by a SAR volunteer from WA. I was with the FBI dogs right after they found Jenise Wright in Bremerton :( and they told me that.

MLT PD did list which agencies they had involved, it was a pretty long list. For those critical of MLT PD, one of the biggest shortcomings I see in LE is agencies that go "we don't need any help, we've got it". MLT PD has brought in EXACTLY the right resources to help them.

I've seen far weirder homicides and suicides than this. As I said the only two unusual things are the animal blood, and the amount of media coverage (mostly due to how long she was missing).

When you say media coverage, do you mean just that, media outlets or the amount of public discussion it created? I think the range of media interest was b/c she worked at a well known place in Seattle, and went missing in suburbia. I guess the police asking for any public tips for practically this whole lenghth of time, prolongs it in the media as something to fear, even if they say the public isn't in danger. Her place of business released the news she was found, so that at least took away, everyone working there, looking for news about a fellow employee.

The woman that was found dead in Edmonds, seems to gone media quiet after she was found. I thought it more had to do with they figured it all out, and didnt want gossip or negative things being spread around. Whether that's because it happened in wealthier than most Woodway, and there is too many average people that get really curious, I don't know? That's just as sad & strange. And I hope her family has answers.

I don't know how you classify weird, but some things are borderline too weird for people too want to hear, and some things are weird enough to people, where they can analize many things about it, and keep making it weird. The far weirder murders & suicides you've seen, were all determined to be one or the other at some point?

Also for ANZAC: I think people start wanting for FBI to get involved, when things become weird with many technicalities, even if they can't or have no reason too, but they would get involved in something involving a corrupt police investigation?

I think it is "most likely" a suicide, as it has the hallmarks of many suicides. The only thing that doesn't fit in is the "animal" blood. I don't think I am any more dismissive than people who insist it is a homicide...

I'm open to it being a homicide if more evidence comes back from the remaining forensics.

I am NOT involved in this case. I know many people who are and I have deliberately not asked them anything about the case. It would absolutely not be proper for me to comment (even anonymously) on a case I was involved in. I would wind up with my credentials stripped for sure.

My comments are intended to cover the general investigative process, how these things "usually go", and then my own theorizing which I hopefully delineate.

The only two unusual elements in this case are:
a) the amount of media attention (compared to other similar cases you've probably not heard of)
b) the animal blood

As this case progresses, I think a lot of people, including myself are more accepting of suicide as the manner of death but the animal blood is just so strange. Also, someone posted a link to the Dave Rose's FB page (he is a Q13 reporter) where he stated very casually that the lab is also processing a zip tie found at the scene. Why hasn't that been mentioned in MSM? It seems potentially important and conflicts with LE's statement that there is no evidence to suggest CD was restrained in any way.

I first became interested in this case because I believed there might be a killer on the loose and I too meet a carpool about 3 miles away from the MLT park and ride. I usually park my own car in a dark parking garage and walk to meet my fellow commuters right around 7:00am every morning. My work (also in the research field) is literally next door to the Hutch and I am a middle aged woman (too many similarities). Quite frankly, even though much of the evidence seems to suggest suicide, I am still freaked out every single morning. Now after following this case for some time, I mostly want answers for this woman's poor family.

I've thought about Lake Ballinger a lot. To be blunt, I thought of weighting pockets and walking in via the boat ramp. But IMO that would be an extra horrible experience. I also wonder if there are people fishing this time of year at that hour.

Other access might be tricky. I know there is a little park now where the old golf course used to be, and the shore there is marshy. Not sure there would be a place she could have lay down and hidden. And kids might have found her there.

I also don't think you can reach the shore from the Nile golf course. It's wooded and the bank tends to drop off.

Other than that, I think you would have to go through someone's yard and have access only to private shore front. Highly visible.

ETA: And to get to Lake B, she would have had to walk right past the park and ride on the I-5 overpass. She might have been recognized, perhaps even by her carpoolers.

IMO, IF this was suicide, I think she may have been undecided even after she sent the text to her carpool. I think she may have shut off her phone so she could hear herself think. Then she may have tried test cuts and decided against that method. And then perhaps she decided to walk and figure things out. And as a creature of habit as most of us are, she walked a most familiar route, one that passed very close to her house. And walked and wandered for awhile. I am most sad to say that I can imagine very easily - all up until the actual act, which still seems to be a very difficult thing to accomplish. But to me, any scenario involving Lake Ballinger started to seem really cumbersome and unlikely.

Given the presence of animal blood, I can't see suicide as an unplanned event.

If I recall correctly, it was revealed AFTER Leanne was found that she indeed had been dealing with some depression. I think the family hadn't made that public, or perhaps only one person knew... But yes, she took a huge trip, and had an interview scheduled for that very day, so a lot of folks said no way, she couldn't have committed suicide because she had plans, etc.

makes me sad to think of Leanne again. Like with Cheryl, we get to know things about people here, and we start to like them... and them sometimes, that's it.

if justice is due, may it come quickly. If understanding is needed, may that come easily as well. hugs to all.

You are correct - Leanne suffered from depression and was not looking forward to returning home from that year long trip. This was not revealed during the search most likely because her husband did not want her private medical history in the media if she were alive which he was hoping. So many people thought he was involved at first and I truly felt badly for him. I think it was also revealed after the case was closed that Leanne left him a note after she called up to him saying she was leaving and would be back - it said "I love you so much." So all the outward actions went against what she was about to do. I was so shocked at that outcome - it was the first time I came to this site. Leanne's video from her trip singing the Ava Maria stuck with me - that voice.

So I guess we can't count on outward actions and words but if there were truly no signs leading up to this - I still tend to feel this was homocide but I am stuck on how getting to the culvert was managed.

Given the presence of animal blood, I can't see suicide as an unplanned event.

Would any type of animal blood, make you re-think that? Since most everyone agrees, the blood is strange, what animal blood are we expecting? An animal she hunted? Monkey, cat, tiger? The animal blood opens up the animal kingdom. I wouldn't have a clue what kind is there.

Unless she acquired blood from her new cat, to plant on the floor, i don't know where blood could come from.

There are a few questions I have and I am hoping Stryker can answer if he sees this: Forgive me if you have.

Did your Mom drive that particular car on a daily basis to work? Yes, To the park and ride to catch, bus or meet carpool.

Were there any problems with the car? Not aware of any

Were the tabs current on the car? I presume so.

Did any neighbors happen to see her getting in the car that morning? (I would think LE would have said so but you never know). Not sure.

Did she keep her car fairly clean inside? She wasn't a tidy person. Probably some items throughout car.

Did she happen to take a tote bag to work or did she use take out bags as her tote bag? Not sure.

I am just curious thanks

sent from an unknown device

Thank you Stryker! I appreciate your time to answer.

I am very sorry about your Mother. I am hoping you and the family will get closure to this soon.

I myself do not believe she took her own life.

Would any type of animal blood, make you re-think that? Since most everyone agrees, the blood is strange, what animal blood are we expecting? An animal she hunted? Monkey, cat, tiger? The animal blood opens up the animal kingdom. I wouldn't have a clue what kind is there.

If it is suicide, then Cheryl put the animal blood in her own car on the morning that she committed suicide, and then she walked at least 1.5 miles before committing suicide. She didn't accidentally leave the blood and spontaneously decide to commit suicide an hour later.

If she committed suicide, it was well planned, and that decision to put animal blood in her car well before committing suicide was part of that plan.

If it is suicide, then Cheryl put the animal blood in her own car on the morning that she committed suicide, and then she walked at least 1.5 miles before committing suicide. She didn't accidentally leave the blood and spontaneously decide to commit suicide an hour later.

If she committed suicide, it was well planned, and that decision to put animal blood in her car well before committing suicide was part of that plan.

I would agree. Although, I wouldn't agree she put the blood there, if it was a type of animal blood, that she most certaintly, couldn't acquire easily.

When you say media coverage, do you mean just that, media outlets or the amount of public discussion it created? I think the range of media interest was b/c she worked at a well known place in Seattle, and went missing in suburbia. I guess the police asking for any public tips for practically this whole lenghth of time, prolongs it in the media as something to fear, even if they say the public isn't in danger. Her place of business released the news she was found, so that at least took away, everyone working there, looking for news about a fellow employee.

How the media and public latch onto cases is a bit of a mystery. I work things that I think should be front page news but then someone breaks an ankle and it is on the 6pm news. Some of it are the factors you mention: someone missing for a period, a lot of people looking for her, then no clear answer immediately she is found.

I don't know how you classify weird, but some things are borderline too weird for people too want to hear, and some things are weird enough to people, where they can analize many things about it, and keep making it weird. The far weirder murders & suicides you've seen, were all determined to be one or the other at some point?

Yes, with the exception of missing person cases where they weren't found. I've got about 5 I've worked on that are unsolved/unfound (at least a couple of those on WS...). We had one I was absolutely certain was murder because of the behavior and body language of family/friends, but it turned out it to be suicide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024