Found Deceased WA - Cheryl DeBoer, 54, Mountlake Terrace, 8 February 2016 #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stryker said the bag was flimsy enough to tear easily. Maybe I can find the comment.

ETA: Here's the comment #802 from thread #5: As thin as the material of the plastic bag was it wouldn't matter if it was secured around the neck. It would take little effort to rip open the bag.

If it would take little effort to rip open the bag, then was the bag found intact?

Why wouldn't the bag be ripped? Did Cheryl put the bag over her own head?

Was she restrained somehow? By someone else?

Was the bag placed over her head After she had water in her lungs?

IMOO.

well written post and it made me cry. I have been trying to understand suicide and still what is it in me that just will not let me accept it, even if it turns out to be true? My mom use to say " none of us are going to come out of this alive " so IMO why rush it ? LOL I have been sad and I am somewhere in between you and your friend, im 55 with a 19 year old that is having growing paigns. I have to finish raising this kid before I launch from this world to whatever is next. If he was 10 years older and settled I still would want to hang around to bug him LOL

Unless Cheryl has had some devastating news or health issues, and even then I just cannot fathom killing myself so I just flat do not get it. Rememeber back when LE said they were holding back some news and when we hear it we will know all the answers, or something to that effect. Could this be it, LE knows something she found out and has just not told us?

Thank you and I'm sorry it saddened you but I can relate. Every time my little one tells me - Mom, I can do it myself now, I feel proud - yet sad. We raise them to be independent and need us a little less each day right? But the day we are successful and looking at a mature, self-sufficient person is the day we are not needed for support any longer and then we want them back in the rocking chair instead of needing one ourselves - lol. Hang in there - many great milestones to come!

What bothers me about this case are the whys? If a planned suicide - why not cut out the carpool friend immediately and tell her before leaving that she is running behind and she will see her at work vs. risking running into her around the transit area? Why use a bag from a place she went to vs. generic? Why lock the car up - unlocked would seem more like a robbery? And why ditch the purse / cell yet keep the razor?

If it would take little effort to rip open the bag, then was the bag found intact?

IMOO.

I wonder if this could be a double bagged situation, for lack of better words. Where the outer bag was much stronger, and the killer could take that one with them, leaving the flimsy left, b/c that is a bag she's gotten before?

IMOO.

And I would like to add....as far out as this may seem.....were the employees of the take-out place questioned? Were any late/out that day? If this was a homocide and the bag was in her car already - that voids my line of questions but if the bag was not in the car....could someone associated with that place approached CD and the bag was their's? She may have recognized them from the restaurant or vice versa. I would think someone would not leave such a risky calling card but panic may have set in.

Thank you and I'm sorry it saddened you but I can relate. Every time my little one tells me - Mom, I can do it myself now, I feel proud - yet sad. We raise them to be independent and need us a little less each day right? But the day we are successful and looking at a mature, self-sufficient person is the day we are not needed for support any longer and then we want them back in the rocking chair instead of needing one ourselves - lol. Hang in there - many great milestones to come!

What bothers me about this case are the whys? If a planned suicide - why not cut out the carpool friend immediately and tell her before leaving that she is running behind and she will see her at work vs. risking running into her around the transit area? Why use a bag from a place she went to vs. generic? Why lock the car up - unlocked would seem more like a robbery? And why ditch the purse / cell yet keep the razor?

The car pooler asked how long it would take her and she said ten minutes but she also said for the car pooler to go on without her.
And the car pooler did go on without her...

Locking the car, (especially if she was supposed to be on the way home to pick up the badge, there would be no need for her to get out of the car),unless she purposely walked to the culvert, or she met up with someone there, (where she parked her car) so she got out of her car and locked it herself.

IMOO.

Stryker said the bag was flimsy enough to tear easily. Maybe I can find the comment.

ETA: Here's the comment #802 from thread #5: As thin as the material of the plastic bag was it wouldn't matter if it was secured around the neck. It would take little effort to rip open the bag.

then maybe the bag was just for show, to make LE think she did it

I keep a supply of take-out and grocery bags in my kitchen and I imagine, as a pet owner, CD may have done the same - maybe even kept some in the car in case of accidents in the crate. However, I noticed so many of mine have tiny holes or tears in them. When I owned cats, and used these bags to clean the literbox - this would be a pet peeve because the litter would spill out unless I double bagged. I mention this because not only would the bags be easy to rip but many contain tears if they are that flimsy.

The car pooler asked how long it would take her and she said ten minutes but she also said for the car pooler to go on without her.
And the car pooler did go on without her...

Locking the car, (especially if she was supposed to be on the way home to pick up the badge, there would be no need for her to get out of the car),unless she purposely walked to the culvert, or she met up with someone there, (where she parked her car) so she got out of her car and locked it herself.

IMOO.

"At 7:02 a.m. a text was sent from Cheryl DeBoer’s phone to a carpool friend saying she forgot her identification badge needed for her job at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle.

“Just go without me,” the text said. “I’ll probably ride home with you.”

Her friend wrote back asking how long it would take and saying that she would wait.
The text back to the friend estimated that DeBoer’s trip back home would take 10 minutes.

Her friend waited until nearly 7:30 a.m. and tried sending her a message and calling her at that time. It appeared to her that DeBoer’s phone had been turned off.

Detectives learned that the phone was “powered down” shortly after DeBoer’s last text."

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20160216/NEWS01/160219330

I am pretty sure (based on my own opinion and nothing much else) that she sent the text AFTER she decided to end her life. The text was sent so the carpool friends would not wonder where she was.

So then to me this kind of rules out a well thought out suicide plan otherwise I think she would have nipped the carpooler out from the start knowing they would be involved and trying to locate her. Sticking with the suicide theory - then I would lean towards a decision made that morning and since the badge was left at home - most likely prior to leaving home.

I am still of the belief that she left the badge home accidentally, the text to the friend was legit but something happened either as she walked back to her car texting or while she sat in the car. That all may change with more news and I hope we hear more this week.

If she had gotten a major health diagnoses, would it have shown up on the autopsy?

If so, then surely the family is aware of it by now from the autopsy.

I don't think this is the problem.

Also, if she had named a personal executor, under HIPAA law (I just looked it up) that executor would have access to the deceased medical records. (Provided there isn't a state law differing from that)

Well.

(Sorry, I know I sound like I have an attitude. This just erks me, with all due respect I can not believe how many of you guys are sold on this suicide theory. I respect yall, maybe I am wrong. I will eat dirt. That's why I love this place. Different thoughts, opinions, theories...I'm all ears, I promise.)

Sorry, to answer your question, if he came up behind her in the car, possibly no imo.

Water could wash away other evidence...but as far as her body, I think one can be murdered without other trauma to the body, via a o sphyxiation, but I'm no Dr. G.

Irks me too, and makes me wonder, why a few people on here are trying SO hard to convince everyone it was suicide when it is such a stretch to do so. It just doesn't add up for suicide, yet there's a pervasiveness to explain it all away with statistics. Statistics can be distorted to suit the situation.

If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and walks like a duck... It's most probably a duck. And this duck doesn't look, sound or walk like suicide. If one were to put probabilities on suicide/homicide, what would they be? 50/50, 20/80? 80/20? IMO I'd go with 10/90

"At 7:02 a.m. a text was sent from Cheryl DeBoer’s phone to a carpool friend saying she forgot her identification badge needed for her job at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle.

“Just go without me,” the text said. “I’ll probably ride home with you.”

Her friend wrote back asking how long it would take and saying that she would wait.
The text back to the friend estimated that DeBoer’s trip back home would take 10 minutes.

Her friend waited until nearly 7:30 a.m. and tried sending her a message and calling her at that time. It appeared to her that DeBoer’s phone had been turned off.

Detectives learned that the phone was “powered down” shortly after DeBoer’s last text."

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20160216/NEWS01/160219330
If Cheryl told the friend to go on without her, and Cheryl also stated she would probably ride home with carpool person, also mentioned that it would take 10 minutes to get yer badge,,,,,
What inspired the carpool person to wait until 730?

"I will get up in the morning, have a little breakfast, get ready for work, pet my kitties, kiss my husband goodbye before he leaves for work, take out some fish for dinner, put a razor blade in my pocket, grab all my stuff, leave my badge under some clothes, drive to and park near the park and ride, text my friend about the badge, pick up a flimsy plastic bag from the somewhere, walk a mile and a half to the culvert, put the bag over my head, lie down face first in the cold water and will myself to fight all urges to sit up until I drown."

This was her plan? This is what some of you think she did in the complete absence of ANY suicidal tendencies, mental illness, life altering issues or any trigger of any kind. This brilliant woman who showed NO mental impairment came up with THIS plan?? She just woke up in the morning with a broken mind and her husband didn't notice. Her genius plan included a flimsy bag? Really?

No.

"I will get up in the morning, have a little breakfast, get ready for work, pet my kitties, kiss my husband goodbye before he leaves for work, take out some fish for dinner, put a razor blade in my pocket, grab all my stuff, leave my badge under some clothes, drive to and park near the park and ride, text my friend about the badge, pick up a flimsy plastic bag from the somewhere, walk a mile and a half to the culvert, put the bag over my head, lie down face first in the cold water and will myself to fight all urges to sit up until I drown."

This was her plan? This is what some of you think she did in the complete absence of ANY suicidal tendencies, mental illness, life altering issues or any trigger of any kind. This brilliant woman who showed NO mental impairment came up with THIS plan?? She just woke up in the morning with a broken mind and her husband didn't notice. Her genius plan included a flimsy bag? Really?

No.
Beautifully stated. I agree with you 100%.

Irks me too, and makes me wonder, why a few people on here are trying SO hard to convince everyone it was suicide when it is such a stretch to do so. It just doesn't add up for suicide, yet there's a pervasiveness to explain it all away with statistics. Statistics can be distorted to suit the situation.

If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and walks like a duck... It's most probably a duck. And this duck doesn't look, sound or walk like suicide. If one were to put probabilities on suicide/homicide, what would they be? 50/50, 20/80? 80/20? IMO I'd go with 10/90

No evidence of homicidal violence, no marks on the body other than the self inflicted cuts. No sighting of another person (or even CD).

How could it possibly be murder? If someone drown or suffocated her, she would have put up something of a fight, skin under fingernails, she would have ripped the bag. Someone would have had to held the bag VERY tight to cut off airflow, and a thin bag she could just rip open. If someone had held her head underwater, she would have fought back, there would be marks on her from the struggle.

No.

Yes, I've seen suicides like this where everyone was shocked, all kinds of normal activities planned and in progress.

We don't know about triggers, there may have been one.

No evidence of homicidal violence, no marks on the body other than the self inflicted cuts. No sighting of another person (or even CD).

How could it possibly be murder? If someone drown or suffocated her, she would have put up something of a fight, skin under fingernails, she would have ripped the bag. Someone would have had to held the bag VERY tight to cut off airflow, and a thin bag she could just rip open. If someone had held her head underwater, she would have fought back, there would be marks on her from the struggle.

Not seeing someone doesn't mean they weren't there. They just were not observed. She wouldn't have fought and there would be no marks if she were quickly subdued (chloroform or?) and rendered unconscious, but not dead, before being placed in the culvert as a staged suicide. I'm not convinced it's murder, and for Cheryl's sake I would rather it was suicide, but I don't think any of us have enough information/evidence yet to state which it is unequivocally. What I don't want to have happen is for a clever murder to be ruled a suicide.
JMO

From when she was last seen to when she was found, that is about 150-151 hours?

Yes, I've seen suicides like this where everyone was shocked, all kinds of normal activities planned and in progress.

We don't know about triggers, there may have been one.

I agree that suicides can come as a complete surprise even to those closest to the person. And yes, there may have been a trigger, but we don't know that for sure.

I'm curious if you have ever seen a suicide as complex, with as many puzzling pieces as this? If so, can you give us a general idea about what made it complex and puzzling? Apologies if you've answered this question before. And thanks. I value your input even if I don't always agree. :)

You have presented yourself on here as an "LE professional", repeatedly referring to your "experience", shouldn't you be getting verified?

If not then your opinion is just that, your opinion. What do you have vested for this to be a suicide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08