WA WA - D.B. Cooper hijacking mystery, 24 Nov 1971 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
leftcoast said:
Hi Poco, Yes, I am one of the two who was on KOIN. As for the interview, it was up on the KOIN website for about one or two weeks, but, I don't believe it is available on their site anymore. When it was on tv, I made a few copies, just to make sure I would have a record.

As for our suspect getting nervous. You are absolutely right. That is why I believe he is actually talking to us. To try to convince us he isn't Cooper. Every time we visit him, the first thing he does is tell us where he was during the hijacking. To everyone, it would seem he has a perfect alibi. HOwever, we checked with the FBI and his story about where he was during the time Cooper was on the plane is not true, according to multiple FBI sources. In addition, we know for a fact that our suspect called the FBI at 10:00pm, some two hours after Cooper jumped, and didn't want the FBI to think he was the hijacker.

Also, if you are really interested in this case (I don't want to push this case on anyone), I did a radio interview with a guy named Steve Rinehart last summer. IF you go his website, STEVENRINEHART.com, you will see information regarding Cooper and interviews with various people. Third down is the interview I did with him. It is 50 minutes long and explains the entire case.

As for our suspect seeing the KOIN interview, I don't think he did. It really doesn't matter anymore, because after 7 years, we are going to identify him shortly, we just have to clear a few legal hurdles.

By the way, here is a quote from our visit this past sunday. I asked our suspect about how the money got to rest on the beach along the Columbia. HIs exact quote, which we can prove, is "well, I know that Cooper just took 5,000 or so, in twenties, walked up to the river, and put the money somewhere where it will eventually be found, once you find it, you will think that "I" drowned, and everybody will think that db cooper drowned. It is great insurance, why not?" That was one of quotes from him this weekend.

leftcoast

Call me confused --- he only kept $5000 and buried the rest? Is it still there? How much was he reportedly have to stole?

Sounds like he stuck the old foot in the mouth------

poco said:
Call me confused --- he only kept $5000 and buried the rest? Is it still there? How much was he reportedly have to stole?

Sounds like he stuck the old foot in the mouth------

I think he means Cooper took $5K out of the loot and planted it along the river to give the impression he was dead. Cheap diversion.

I always thought he GOT AWAY WITH IT..... Thanks for bringing us this thread leftcoast.

Nova, thanks for clearing up what I tried to say. Cooper received 200,000 in ransom, and according to our suspect, simply discarded 5,000 or so along the banks of the Columbia to give the impression that he drowned. Hence, Cooper kept the remaining 194,000 for himself.

Thanks for the input everyone.
leftcoast

Personally, this case is one that I secretly wish would never be solved. It's just too...fascinating. Someone will eventually figure it out...but when they do, I think I'll have the same reaction as I did at age 8 when I learned there was no Santa Clause. I know, he was (is?) a criminal...but there's just something about it... (as the song 'Free Bird' from Skynyrd plays in the background and the low rumble of jet engines can be heard in the distance...sigh.)

Ah, this case has always fascinated me.

Regarding the money found: I thought the money was found years after he jumped and it was decayed and discovered completely by accident, as it was buried. Is this correct? If so, and this theory is true, D.B. nearly wasted his dough!

How exciting! If the FBI said he wasn't where he said he was during the robbery, they must have also suspected him?? Or did the check that because of your info? They should be able to check into his finances to see how he laundered the money. Do you think he is torn between not wanting you to prove he is the one - and proud he was able to pull it off?

So many questions, fill us in on what you can.

reportertype said:
Ah, this case has always fascinated me.

Regarding the money found: I thought the money was found years after he jumped and it was decayed and discovered completely by accident, as it was buried. Is this correct? If so, and this theory is true, D.B. nearly wasted his dough!
It has been said that he 'hid' part of it somewhere away from where he actually was as a decoy. This is what was found.

Reportertype: Yes, the money found on the Columbia river at a place called Tena's bar was actually recovered in 1980, some 8 years after the Cooper jumped. Exactly 5,880 dollars was recovered. LE believes that is was three packets of twenties, with six twenty dollar bills which eroded away into the water. I personally believe that Cooper buried the money and simply couldn't locate the final three packets when he came to retreive his loot. However, our suspect suggests the money was placed on purpose, in order for police to believe he drowned.

Lorann: Yes, I think there is part of this guy who wants to be known as the guy who snubbed his nose at the FBI. But, a bigger part of him doesn't want to risk his freedom, getting audited, and possibly losing some friends. AS for his alibi, what our suspect told us he called the FBI before Cooper jumped, whereas he really didn't call the FBI until two hours after Cooper jumped. This was very easy for the FBI to verify.

Birdieboo: The statue of limitations would have expired in 1976, five years after the crime. HOwever, the FBI and US attorney indicted DB Cooper for air piracy under a "John Doe" indictment in 1976. According to lawyers I have spoken with, the JOHn Doe indictment will hold up in court. HOwever, I still think this case would be very difficult to prove, unless the FBI searches his house and finds a "twenty" or the ticket stub from the flight in the name of Dan Cooper.

good questions

leftcoast

I look to be in the minority here with regard to my opinion (which is not unusual for me!) but I always found this case fascinating and hoped he would NOT be found and that he got away with it. The planning and executing of this daring robbery with no one getting hurt in the process has always made me root for him. Call me misguided but I STILL hope he manages to pull this off without ever facing prosecution.

So he'd probably be in his late 60's about now. Leftcoast, does he seem pretty sharp mentally and in good health? Has he worked at all these years since 1972? They had the numbers of all the bills I assume, but if he spent the money to live on those numbers would show up in circulation and could be possibly traced back to him. So how would he launder 'hot' money like this? Does he still live in Vancouver?

I am so waiting for him to be named. The FBI will have a bit of egg on their fase, right? Since that time, the Portland office of the FBI has become one of their finest offices, and I remember when the case of a murdered Federal investigator was transferred from the Seattle office to Portland. I bet there is a lot of excitement there and also at Channel 6 about the eventual naming of this individual.

I think the only way he could live on that money all those years is to have had it invested or in a bank, and he lived off the interest. Fascinating!

scandi

PS:
Does he look anything like his sketch?

Hey Scandi, Thanks for the interest. He is actually in his mid-70's right now. Yes, he appears to be extremely healthy, both physically and mentally. I would think he laundered the money back in 1972. He actually worked a legitimate job from the early 60's until 1971. Since then, he hasn't. I believe he laundered the money in Vegas or Cayman Islands or elsewhere. As for the money lasting, I don't think it lasted long. He has been nailed for other crimes since 1971. AS for the FBI, I can't speak for them. I really don't know is this is an active case at the FBI. I think they chalked it up as a "let's not waste any more money looking for this guy", type of case. As for looking like the sketch, he looks like one of the sketches. He has a receeding hairline, long nose, and very muscular, stocky.

Cindy: I know where you are coming from. IT was a great plan. The only thing is that the two flight attendants that were working the flight were scared to death. I have seen both up close and personal, and both are still scared. They thought he was going to blow up the airplane that night. Not to mention the people who he robbed with a pistol just before the Cooper heist, or the four or five felonies for which he has been convicted since 1971. But, I respect your right and know where you are coming from. We could all use an extra 200,000 grand to get started in life.

leftcoast

leftcoast....this is all so intruiging and I will follow this. Just tell me you aren't a whack job who is next gonna claim that Jim Morrison is alive and living on a ranch. :p

Not trying to be rude, I am just a wee bit cynical about things, but this does sound legit.

Curious, no offense taken. You have a right to be skeptical. There are some nut cases out there, especially when it comes to this case, the Kennedy case, etc. However, every news organization that has covered our story knows who our suspect is. Legitimate news organizations check out stories first. Also, my buddy, who was also on tv, has been working the case with me. Everything we have said can be confirmed with paperwork, witnesses, etc.

leftcoast

ps I don't know anything about jim morrison.

For those who enjoy reading mystery fiction, the writer Stephen White (he writes the Psychologist Alan Gregory books, set in Boulder) features a juicy cameo appearance by DB Cooper in his 1999 book Manner of Death.

leftcoast said:
Curious, no offense taken. You have a right to be skeptical. There are some nut cases out there, especially when it comes to this case, the Kennedy case, etc. However, every news organization that has covered our story knows who our suspect is. Legitimate news organizations check out stories first. Also, my buddy, who was also on tv, has been working the case with me. Everything we have said can be confirmed with paperwork, witnesses, etc.

leftcoast

ps I don't know anything about jim morrison.
You guys do seem pretty legit. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

I invariably watch channel 6 for my evening news, and so when I saw the spot and saw these sleuthers my mouth dropped wide open.

We are here on a sleuthing forum, so having an interest in solving crime, which I look at as a puzzle, is natural for us.

To see two young men with regular jobs, I was just blown away that they had tackled this case on their own and followed through with it. I had a nice conversation with the news gal at channel6, and she told me everyone at the station was duly impressed with them and just waiting for the next update - almost with baited breath! :D Scandi

Leftcoast,

Welcome and neat play on words for your hat by the way, I'm on the westcoast here in Southern British Columbia so I may borrow the term sometime. This is all very interesting and I hope you'll keep us updated.

Jubie

Wow. This case has always intrigued me. I always felt DB was alive and well somewhere, not in the US. I never thought a true suspect would be found and it would forever be a mystery. I just seems so odd that he would call the FBI and tell them he didn't do it. If he didn't, why tell them that? Everything about this man's experience/background tells me he certainly was capable of pulling it off. I don't know of anyone who would just jump out of a plane, unless they've done it before. Definitely keep us posted on this!!!!

Welcome to WS leftcoast. And when this case is done, can you work on where Jimmy Hoffa disappeard to? :D I know he's dead, just want to know where's the body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Websleuth0000