WA WA - D.B. Cooper hijacking mystery, 24 Nov 1971 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
the story was on 60 minutes last night, so I knew this thread would be resurrected!!
Rightcoast - so sorry to hear about leftcoast - many sympathies to his family and friends! I too hope you will carry on with this! On 60 mintues they mentioned an ex-FBI guy - Tomsow - or Toscow - I believe his name was - who is asking for tips! He lives in Modesto.
Good Luck on your pursuit of this case Rightcoast!

Rightcoast- I have no idea how I missed your post about your partner- how very sad, and sorry I am to hear of his passing, and sorry I did not see it until today- he was a true sleuther, and a class act-
thanks for your updates and taking the time to fill in for him here, with info-
Hope your new year gets happier-

I am not sure why the FBI is releasing this now. Are they making a last ditch effort to flush out a very old suspect or is it just what they say it is? I am not sure about their statement about him being a novice jumper. Clearly he had jumped somewhere before. Did they check jump schools at the time? and as far as DNA, what if the tie DNA is from someone else and one of the people they have eleminated is really guilty? Its hard to believe if he died during the jump someone somewhere isn't waiting on him to come home. No missing persons reports? Wouldn't you also think he took the flight at least once before as a dry run? As far as what the FBI released, it looks pretty weak. the map cannot even be read. I think the FBI is playing with us.

Happy New Year to you, DD!! I sent an email to rightcoast with the link, just in case he didn't see the article. Where's Scandi??

Here I am Buzz and Dawgie ;} Krams to you both. I came here the minute I heard the blurb on FOX this morning. HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone.

I am simply in a state of shock to learn about Dan's passing. I always admired him so much for his tenacity and passion for learning the truth in our case. It was like the local Sleuther ferreting out factual discoveries that all seemed to lead towards solving the case. I am so sorry he was not well and for that I know he is in a better place. But he will always be in my mind as the perfect example of how an independent Sleuther can make a real difference!

Thanks Rightcoast for coming back to post and I'll look forward to reading your thoughts on the case. I remember you well from the KOIN show and have always thought of you and Dan together in the hours you spent trying to solve the case. I am sorry you have lost your friend, and please know you do have friends here too! Scandi

Hi, I just read the article, and thanks for that Buzz and also to you Niner. :hand:

Tonight after work I plan to read this whole thread again to refresh my mind. I know Leftcoast had addressed the matters of the chute and the simple plan of jumpling to land at that marker in the Battleground area. I wonder if this new agent on the case has read Leftcoast's writings on the case? Maybe you know Rightcoast. If that hasn't been done we should make an assemblage of them and pop them off to him.

For one thing, on FOX, they said it is a new drawing, and it looks the same to me! They just had a blurb again and said the news is the case is now OPEN again! I'm thinking if Leftcoast were still here, what would he do? I think he's want to make sure this agent has all the particulars that he and Rightcoast discovered in their exhaustive search for the truth!

FOX just had a Jeffrey Gray {?} from a New York publication on who said he has been quite involved in studying the case, and on a trip to Oregon, what impressed him is that so many people think DB is still alive. The FBI think he is dead. But he said the difference now is that even though the info they are looking at is old, there are new eyes on it. Let's hope the FBI looks at everything now. YaYa

By Paul Walsh MCCLATCHY NEWS SERVICE

Article Launched: 01/02/2008 02:59:30 AM PSTAgency provides photos related to decades-old case in which man parachuted from a plane with $200,000MINNEAPOLIS -- It has been more than 37 years, but the FBI hasn't lost interest in Dan Cooper, the man who parachuted from a Northwest Airlines jet over the Pacific Northwest while clutching a bag with $200,000 in ill-gotten gain.
Federal agents say they have reignited their pursuit of the mysterious Cooper.
In a news release issued Monday, the FBI said it is providing to the public a series of photos and information about the case, which has baffled and mesmerized authorities and the public for decades.
"Would we still like to get our man?" the FBI release said. "Absolutely."
The FBI said it is taking the action because of "new technologies like DNA testing."
The questions the FBI said it hopes to answer: Who was Cooper? Did he survive the jump? And what happened to the loot, only a small part of which has surfaced?
The agency said it has pursued "thousands of leads and considered all sorts of scenarios."
"And amateur sleuths have put forward plenty of their own theories. Yet the case remains unsolved." The material the FBI is releasing on its Web site includes photos of some of the recovered currency and of a necktie Cooper took off before jumping. The FBI says the tie has yielded DNA evidence. more at link:http://www.mercurynews.com/crime/ci_7861983?nclick_check=1

as most assuredly nearly none of you knew, leftcoast has been very ill and in pain for a lot of years with a rare form of muscular dystrophy. it is my sad duty to inform you that he has passed away due to complications. i am sorry for the blunt nature of this post, but i know of no other way to inform cyber friends.
his name was Dan Dvorak. he was a good man and a very good friend. he will miss his time with you all here. he mentioned two people in particular, one being the nice woman that put us in touch with inside edition and especially Old Dominion. if either of you wish to email me, i would welcome it at dbcoopercatcher@gmail.com.

as for this thread, i will try to be here occasionally to contribute, but i will be a piss poor second to Dan's first.

rightcoast, I am so sorry to read this. I, too missed your post about Dan while trying to catch up. I so enjoyed reading Leftcoasts threads and keeping up with this story. It's just so exciting. My prayers are with you, his family and all of his friends. Thank you for keeping us updated and good luck in your continued investigating.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22478557/

LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - In 1980, 8-year-old Brian Ingram found the sole link to the only unsolved airline hijacking in U.S. history buried in the sandy banks of the Columbia River, where it divides Washington state from Oregon near Portland.
Now 36, Ingram hopes to auction the weathered bundle of $20 bills as the FBI launches a new effort to find the unknown hijacker who parachuted into the night after taking over the 1971 Northwest Orient Airlines flight.

The rest of the story in the link posted above.....

I'm really glad they aren't letting go of this case. I would like to see an arrest
even if it's decades late.

as most assuredly nearly none of you knew, leftcoast has been very ill and in pain for a lot of years with a rare form of muscular dystrophy. it is my sad duty to inform you that he has passed away due to complications. i am sorry for the blunt nature of this post, but i know of no other way to inform cyber friends.
his name was Dan Dvorak. he was a good man and a very good friend. he will miss his time with you all here. he mentioned two people in particular, one being the nice woman that put us in touch with inside edition and especially Old Dominion. if either of you wish to email me, i would welcome it at dbcoopercatcher@gmail.com.

as for this thread, i will try to be here occasionally to contribute, but i will be a piss poor second to Dan's first.
Oh, how sad. :( I am just reading your post. I came back to this thread because I read an article in our paper yesterday which stated that the FBI is looking into this case again. I thought about leftcoast while reading the article.

The article acted like it had no information as to the identity to DB Cooper when I knew that you guys had done so much investigation to identify him. The article was taken from The New York Times. It actually gave the name of the FBI agent who was working this cold case.

I hope that you are aware of this agent and have been in touch with him. If not, I can research who the guy is.

Thanks for letting us know about Dan. He was a great poster, and he will be missed. :(

Oh, this news makes me so very, very sad. We spent hours on the Kesse case and I loved the way he analyzed everything. While I had no idea of his illness, his mind was sharp as a tack and I had much respect for him. He will be truly missed.

Thank you for taking the time to inform us. Too often we miss people we meet online and never know what happened.

I do wish he were still here to see this back in the news and follow up with everything. I know he was excited about the work you both put in on the Cooper case and we discussed it many times. I am sure he will be haunting the offices of the FBI, going over the case file, and yelling at them to pay attention! At least, that is where I think he would like to be.

To Dan's ( Leftcoast's) friends and family who MIGHT check in here every now and then:

Dan was a super duper man. I don't know what his vocation was other than a writer and probably at some point, a pilot. He was super smart, and found a wonderful sleuthing partner in Rightcoast.
Both my husband and I are fascinated with your theories on Ted. We think he's DB, without much doubt.

Rightcoast, join us when you can. It looks like the case is heating up, and Ted should be squarely on the target this time too, bud.
Is there a book coming out about all of this, or is it too hot to publish right now? Again my love to Dan's family and friends.. IF the posters had known, I know they would have told him exactly how much he meant to them. I was not a member here when he posted.. have read it all in the past few days and didn't know he had died until near the end of the posts.

I felt like I had been kicked in the head. Life is so unfair. I never knew him, but I will definitely miss Dan's posts on this forum.
Rightcoast, take up the slack when you can, OK?

My prayers for those close to Dan, for Rightcoast, and for long- overdue JUSTICE!!!

okay - I listened to the news lat night - and they said that the FBI said that the parachute WAS SEWN SHUT!! The news said that DB got 2 parachutes, and used the one that was sewn shut (by FBI!) - ?? I believe this is the FIRST time I've heard this?? Rightcoast - do you know anything about this?

and I'm with Scandi! ( :) ) - someone should send this thread link in to the FBI!! I'm surprised that they don't know about Dan's theory - since it was broadcast on the news up in Seattle (or was that Portland??)!!

The article that I read in our newspaper (from the NYT) said that they have DNA that they have tested against several people to rule them out. Has the FBI tested this DNA against Ted?

The article that I read in our newspaper (from the NYT) said that they have DNA that they have tested against several people to rule them out. Has the FBI tested this DNA against Ted?

LOL, what would be your best guess? Yes or No?

*snipped* Where's Scandi??
I have been wondering that same thing for a LONG time now........

ETA: Never mind, I see Scandi has made an appearance.......

Back to lurk mode..........

I have been wondering that same thing for a LONG time now........

ETA: Never mind, I see Scandi has made an appearance.......

Back to lurk mode..........

Hi TallCoolOne, Yes I am back, and what a wonderful place our site is. I never really left it as I always thought of it as my home for forumdom, and I did give up my Modding as I spent waaaaay too much time doing that, although it was an interesting learning experience.

I must say your post SeekingJana, what you said about Leftcoast hit home with me and did bring a tear to my eyes. How I wish we had known what was to happen with him before the fact instead of after it. I would have loved to told him all the things you said in your post. I am still in shock. He was such a super poster and Super Sleuther in real life ~ and I am sure it carried right on thru in everything he did.

I need to find what he wrote about the parachutes. From what I remember he had some interesting info about that which was not what was given out in the news.

Hi to you Nana and Niner Big Hugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member