WA WA - D.B. Cooper hijacking mystery, 24 Nov 1971 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_102607INK_db_cooper_tie_TP.1aca59217.html

Cooper
05:59 PM PDT on Friday, October 26, 2007
By CHRIS INGALLS / KING 5 News

DNA from Cooper's tie SEATTLE – For the first time, the FBI is showing the public what may be the most important piece of evidence in their search for legendary skyjacker D.B. Cooper.

It's a plain, clip-on, J.C. Penney tie – a tie that has given agents a DNA sample.

"I would imagine that when he was putting on his parachute and strapping the money to him he threw it in the seat and out the plane he goes," said Seattle FBI Agent Larry Carr.

Carr says the tie, and a tie clasp that was also recovered from the plane, are not just part of Cooper nostalgia. They are, perhaps, the most powerful pieces of evidence recovered during 36 years of investigation.

For the first time, the FBI confirms it has been able to develop a DNA sample from evidence collected from the tie in 2001.

"Any body fluids, skin, skin cells. We shed skin cells non-stop," said Carr.

didn't want to post the whole article....

The FBI's goal in releasing this evidence is to re-ignite interest in the Cooper caper and drum up some new leads.

Agents will only confirm that DNA has been used in that one case involving the Florida man. But, they've virtually eliminated the thousands of other people who have been brought to their attention.

Leftcoast, are you still involved with this case?

Oh, I think Leftcoast, Rightcoast and Old Dominion will be very interested in hearing this news! This has been one of the most interesting stories that I have followed. I was saddened when it just sort of died down. Perhaps this will spark new interest and a conclusion. Wouldn't that be something?

http://www.komotv.com/news/10830346.html

FBI: Wash. man not viable D.B. Cooper suspect

071024_d_b_cooper.jpg

Lyle Christiansen, of Minnesota, believes his brother Kenneth, of Bonney Lake, Wash. - a Northwest employee and former paratrooper - was D.B. Cooper.

"I think he did it, there too many things that points to him," said Lyle Christansen.

Lyle, 77, said his brother was a trained Army paratrooper with the skills to survive a jump in harsh conditions.

But the man was 5-foot-8 and 150 pounds, at least 4 inches shorter and about 30 pounds lighter than Cooper. Kenneth Christiansen, who died of cancer in 1994, had hazel eyes, not brown, and he had pale skin, not olive.

"He's not a viable suspect," FBI spokeswoman Robbie Burroughs said.

i think christiansen is worth looking at, but has drummed up motive and tortured evidence to make him fit better. he does look like bing crosby, though.

i just hope someone can get some legal and court useable dna to the fbi and lock up or rule out ted m.

i think christiansen is worth looking at, but has drummed up motive and tortured evidence to make him fit better. he does look like bing crosby, though.

i just hope someone can get some legal and court useable dna to the fbi and lock up or rule out ted m.

Do you know if anyone is pursuing DNA testing on any of the suspects? Is Ted even on the list?

Too bad you didn't yank out some hair while you were meeting with him. :innocent:

evidence in D.B. Cooper case
06:42 PM PDT on Thursday, November 1, 2007
BY CHRIS INGALLS / KING 5 News

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/NW_110107INK_cooper_chute_KS.1cbb87e02.html

dbcooper_chute_v_0484-t240.jpg

>>>
In fact -- Cooper was likely an unskilled skydiver -- who didn't realize the FBI accidentally supplied him with a dummy reserve chute, one of two chutes he jumped with.

"It was basically sewn shut," Carr said. "It was only for classroom demonstration. So he used that chute and tore the good one apart."

The search for the man known as D.B. Cooper has gone high-tech.

Leftcoast, where did you go?

I spent hours reading this entire thread from start to finish. One of the most exciting message board threads I have ever read. A couple questions:

How seriously have the FBI taken Ted Mayfield? Has there been any level of inquiry at all? Agent Carr seems dismissive based on profile, but hasn't said anything clear and concrete one way or the other.
It seems to me that Mayfield is a strong suspect, worth at least a DNA test. Is there any forward progress on this? Does anybody have any info?

The FBI found the right guy for the job last summer when they gave Larry Carr the D.B. Cooper file.

Five months ago, Carr became the latest special agent to inherit the 36-year-old Cooper portfolio. He still has other FBI duties that are more important, more serious and matter more to the general public health.

But none of them have captivated him in quite the same way as D.B. Cooper. Carr has long followed the case, and he raised his hand when the Seattle office needed a new agent to supervise.

"It's a hobby of mine," he said. "I'm fascinated with it."

http://www.columbian.com/news/localNews/2007/11/11252007_FBI-agent-open-to-DB-Cooper-clues.cfm

I hope leftcoast reads the story posted above and comments on it here. Of interest in the story is that the FBI obtained DNA from the necktie.

Do we assume that Ted Mayfield has been eliminated via a voluntary DNA test? Based on leftcoast's descriptions, I don't see Mayfield volunteering his DNA to anyone.

Let's hope this FBI agent has read this thread!

as most assuredly nearly none of you knew, leftcoast has been very ill and in pain for a lot of years with a rare form of muscular dystrophy. it is my sad duty to inform you that he has passed away due to complications. i am sorry for the blunt nature of this post, but i know of no other way to inform cyber friends.
his name was Dan Dvorak. he was a good man and a very good friend. he will miss his time with you all here. he mentioned two people in particular, one being the nice woman that put us in touch with inside edition and especially Old Dominion. if either of you wish to email me, i would welcome it at dbcoopercatcher@gmail.com.

as for this thread, i will try to be here occasionally to contribute, but i will be a piss poor second to Dan's first.

i'm not so sure larry carr is the right man, he seems to turn assumptions into facts just as himmelsbach did. i hope he is serious about solving it and can listen to well reasoned discourse.

always shocked is right. teddy won't give up without all the denials. i was yesterday within a few miles of teddy's winter home talking to a very sharp homicide detective who says our case has merrit (the fbi should investigate further). he says that nowhere near the level of proof needed for an indictment is required to compell teddy for his dna, as it is only a tool of investigation at this point.

Leftcoast, where did you go?

I spent hours reading this entire thread from start to finish. One of the most exciting message board threads I have ever read. A couple questions:

How seriously have the FBI taken Ted Mayfield? Has there been any level of inquiry at all? Agent Carr seems dismissive based on profile, but hasn't said anything clear and concrete one way or the other.
It seems to me that Mayfield is a strong suspect, worth at least a DNA test. Is there any forward progress on this? Does anybody have any info?

he is dismissive of by far the best suspect ever. i wonder if carr's job here is to repeat the mantra "cooper is dead" in the hopes that this embarrassing case goes away.

evidence in D.B. Cooper case
06:42 PM PDT on Thursday, November 1, 2007
BY CHRIS INGALLS / KING 5 News

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/NW_110107INK_cooper_chute_KS.1cbb87e02.html

dbcooper_chute_v_0484-t240.jpg

>>>
In fact -- Cooper was likely an unskilled skydiver -- who didn't realize the FBI accidentally supplied him with a dummy reserve chute, one of two chutes he jumped with.

"It was basically sewn shut," Carr said. "It was only for classroom demonstration. So he used that chute and tore the good one apart."

The search for the man known as D.B. Cooper has gone high-tech.

there's always someone!
even a novice would probably see a pack sewn shut with an x on it (evidence suggests cooper was not blind - skydiving scares the dogs). tina mucklow said he put it on like he'd done it every day. cooper knew to check the rigger card. i have jumped several times and did not know this. and in crime people usually stick somewhat to what they know. cooper was the original, not a copycat. cooper did not cut up the pack he used. and, to say that he did not bring his own chute is likely, but still an assumption.
(teddy knew the porosity of the chute he, er cooper used)

here you and carr are both turning assumptions into fact - decidedly un-hitech.

as for mabbear, florida widow is now the one person that it is conclusive was not the widow of d.b. cooper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste