GUILTY WA - Diego Rios-Santana, 7 mos, found dead in firepit, Federal Way, 21 June 2008

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Adding my prayers to all of yours above! And may this baby rest in peace.

Salem

I can believe the baby just fell in, because very recently a friend of mine had her 3-year-old son fall into her father's fire pit in his yard. Fortunately, the boy's father was right there, but he sustained 1st and 2nd degree burns to his face, and a 3rd degree burn to his ear. Hopefully he won't need plastic surgery.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/08/20/Wash_dad_guilty_in_babys_fire_death/UPI-41161219256695/

A Seattle-area man told a judge that he fell asleep and allowed the baby he was holding to tumble into a fire burning in his backyard.

Alberto Rios, 41, of Federal Way, Wash., made the statement while pleading guilty to second-degree manslaughter in the June death of his infant son, Diego.
The Seattle Post-Intelligencer Wednesday said Rios faces up to two years in prison and deportation to Mexico when he is sentenced on Oct. 2.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/08/20/Wash_dad_guilty_in_babys_fire_death/UPI-41161219256695/ (Published: Aug. 20, 2008) emphasis mine ...."Rios' lawyer said after Tuesday's hearing in Kent that his client always intended to take responsibility for the tragedy. However, prosecutors said Rios would likely not win at trial since he had been drinking heavily when Diego was killed.
" Rios had been partying with co-workers from his construction company and found his son's charred remains hours after he passed out next to the fire pit."

Sad & tragic.... being jailed & deported is probably mild compared to how this father has punished himself..... what a heavy burden to bear!

Unforseen accidents happen all the time but, but Rios was negligent. Drinking, especially "drinking heavily" while responsible for children, should carry culpability. I see this no differently than a DUI collision or unattended children swimming. Certain activities should never be combined.

Where was the child's mother?

From October 2008:

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/infants-death-in-fire-pit-sends-father-to-prison/

Alberto Rios hung his head and wiped tears from his eyes almost continually as he was sentenced to nearly two years in prison for the death of his 7-month-old son...

Judge Richard McDermott appeared to lose patience with Rios when he interrupted the court with questions about... why he should have to submit to alcohol treatment and counseling when he doesn’t believe he has an alcohol problem.

“I’m a firm believer that you should not be drinking alcohol at all when taking care of children,” McDermott said. “You made a bad decision by taking care of your child when you had too much to drink. I can’t ignore that a child has died because of your negligence.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rhojensenbeach
Back