WA - Gabriel Davies, 16, Found Safe - Then Charged With Murder, Olympia, 30 Aug 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
1662650440948.png
21908 190th St E

If you go to the link and click street view, you can see the garage adjacent to the house. I believe the victim exited his garage and entered the residence at the side door seen above.

I truly don't think the murder was premeditated. I think the two teens were after guns, cool throwing knives, cash, and anything they could sell easily. I think they were pumping each other up with the dark clothing and their plan to crawl through the doggy door (heck GD probably crawled through it at one time or another when locked out of the house at the time he resided there).

I think when he interrupted them things went south fast. That is why he was both shot and stabbed. He put up a fight. With him being a known gun owner GD and JY were probably concerned about him gaining the upper hand and so a frenzy of shooting/stabbing took place. All of this probably felt like it went in fast motion. One minute he's interrupting them and the next there is a massive struggle, and then victim is dead and there is blood everywhere.

Once DM was dead, then was the panic around oh crap, we need to get out of here. They were sloppy because they didn't have a plan to escape, get away with murder, none of it. They didn't plan to kill him. JMO.

They weren't sent there by anyone MOO This was a burglary that became murder. Very sad. These boys had a whole future ahead. Their own idiocy and bravado has ruined that.
I think so too. But - breaking and entering to get guns and money is serious enough.

Remember we initially read that he was 17? When he disappeared? And then his mother corrected it and said he was 16. Being 16 or 17 might play role in current situation, a group murder case.

I think they killed him our of panic, but - the bullet hole was behind an ear. Does it mean he was shot at from the back? This presents a slightly different picture.

I think GD pretended to live as if nothing happened for two days, and then it hit him, and he ran away out of fear. But, neither of the guys is a seasoned criminal, so it fell on their parents to call the police, tell biker stories.

These two friends will be blaming one another, but they are equally guilty. MOO. In such a case, I think, it is the best to immediately call the police. Then in may look like accidental. Very few people can clear the CS from own DNA, stage, etc. Professionals can. Not two 16-year-old boys.

You don't get shot in the temple during a gun battle. I think they compelled him to kneel down with a knife to his throat and then they executed him.

Neighbors interviewed said that he was away from his house a lot so between that and his job it sounds like they might have needed to go out of their way to break in when he was there as according to my math it would have been just a fraction of the time. I suppose it's not impossible that it was just dumb luck and their plan was scheduled around Davies's family's camping trip rather than anything about their intended victim and because he was away so much they just assumed that he would be that night, then when they were already mid-plan neither one wanted to back down in front of the other even if they did realize he was home.

Of course, if I understand correctly whether it was a simple robbery gone wrong or a targeted killing doesn't make any difference in Washington law. What I said before about making a claim of molestation having been the best justification still holds true and @charminglane suggesting that the emptied safe might have contained video starts my wheels turning on a plausible defense that the victim might have not only sexually abused Gabriel, but had video of it and perhaps was even extorting our "handsome missing angel". I don't personally think that is likely, but artfully crafted it could explain all of the clumsy (even irrational) modus operandi - that Gabriel was trying to get and destroy all the evidence that he had been abused without it ever being known to anyone because he was so ashamed of it.

Of course if he claims he successfully destroyed all evidence then it would only be his own testimony to prove that he was a victim - and it would need to stand against modern technology where very little data (including video) is ever completely destroyed. Forensics will almost certainly recover the data from the broken phone and of course the server-side data will also be intact - call records, contents of sent and received messages etc. Victim and suspects' computers and tablets will be analyzed. Can a convincing argument still be made that someone recorded things on tapes and polaroids and only ever talked about it face to face?
Was it temple, or behind right ear?

I don’t understand this part of narrative. Can someone help clarify?

“Pierce County detectives examined surveillance footage at the McCaw’s home and saw two “young skinny males” approach the home from the backyard at about 1:59 a.m. on Aug. 28.

The two people on the footage crawled into the home through the doggy door. At about 2:41 a.m. McCaw was spotted leaving the detached garage, then “stumbling” back into the home.

At 2:47 a.m. the German Shepherd suddenly ran out of the doggy door, and one minute later the two people exited the home through a side door. The two people ran back and forth to the garage before leaving the area around 2:52 a.m.”

“The two went to the McCaw’s house and snuck through the doggy door. Davies’ father said when McCaw came home, Yoon “ran after him and stabbed him,” and then “Gabe heard a gunshot.”

The boys snuck in through a doggy door to the house where the murder took place. This sounds like DM wasn’t home when they arrived but showed up soon after and caught them. So did the victim catch them in the garage where he was first attacked and then fled to his home where the boys followed and ultimately killed him? Why else would he be stumbling from the garage to the home of something hadn’t already happened? Or should we discount anything that jives with the biker story?

“Pierce County detectives examined surveillance footage at the McCaw’s home and saw two “young skinny males” approach the home from the backyard at about 1:59 a.m. on Aug. 28.

The two people on the footage crawled into the home through the doggy door. At about 2:41 a.m. McCaw was spotted leaving the detached garage, then “stumbling” back into the home.

At 2:47 a.m. the German Shepherd suddenly ran out of the doggy door, and one minute later the two people exited the home through a side door. The two people ran back and forth to the garage before leaving the area around 2:52 a.m.”

“The two went to the McCaw’s house and snucke through the doggy door. Davies’ father said when McCaw came home, Yoon “ran after him and stabbed him,” and then “Gabe heard a gunshot.”

The boys snuck in through a doggy door to the house where the murder took place. This sounds like DM wasn’t home when they arrived but showed up soon after and caught them. So did the victim catch them in the garage where he was first attacked and then fled to his home where the boys followed and ultimately killed him? Why else would he be stumbling from the garage to the home of something hadn’t already happened? Or should we discount anything that jives with the biker story?
He either was wounded in the garage and hence stumbled into the house where he was finished off. Or else, he returned home drunk and entered the garage, saw the signs of B@E, and went into the house, where he was killed. MOO. It is unclear because they are describing what is seen on the video, not interpreting it.

“The two went to the McCaw’s house and snuck through the doggy door. Davies’ father said when McCaw came home, Yoon “ran after him and stabbed him,” and then “Gabe heard a gunshot.”

IMO I would discount anything that jives with biker story or that Davies father says at this point. Nothing connects!

I took it as, victim came home and parked his car in the garage, then stumbled over to the house where he then entered, caught them, and was killed. I guess I assumed he was stumbling because of drinking. Most bars (by me, at least) close up at 2, so him arriving home at 2:41 am and stumbling says (to me) that he closed down the bar and came home.

JMO!

Oh man, what a twist. That explains how his disappearance seemingly came out of nowhere.
@MassGuy , the irony. In the original thread, you posted "he is found, and i am sure, we won't ever hear about him". Even the finest minds can't always see the future, lol.

(On my end, I was positive that today, the kid would be sitting in a therapy office, and he is in a juvie).

Boys snuck inside via the doggy where they remained inside for about 40 minutes BEFORE the victim entered his home (stumbling -- most likely Sat night drink). DM was seen on surveillance exiting the garage before entering his home.

The shooting did not happen inside the garage but within minutes of him entering his home. It was only after DM was shot that the boys went in and out of the garage before leaving the property.

So the fundraising is off since it is illegal to use the funds for the stated purpose. What happens in these cases?

I actually believe the part about plotting to steal something from DM's safe. Gabe used to live there so he would likely know what was in the safe. I'm curious about what it was they were trying to steal and did these kids manage to get it? IMO
I’m wondering the same.

Actually, my mind is going (MOO) to whether this kid suffered injuries in the past from playing football, and developed a possible drug dependency as a result of having been prescribed painkillers. It’s definitely out there, but sports injuries are a common way kids get hooked on opiates— just made me wonder whether he had any history of injury.

I’m also wondering if there was any family history of abuse that may have made this individual a better “target” or whether, as you point out, GD just knew he had valuables for the taking. Murder just seems so extreme for these kids—MOO.

Sad and infuriating.

Well, they entered the home at 2am. That says to me they were lying in wait for McCaw to arrive home.
I agree, if the plan was to steal guns, knifes and any other items GD knew existed in the home, they would have wanted to get them and leave the house as soon as possible. Were they looking for something else and took longer than expected to find it? Or was this more personal? It's not been reported the relationship dynamic between GD and McCaw...did he resent the fact that McCaw and his mother no longer lived together? Or was McCaw emotionally / physically abusive to GD? Has it been reported how long GD and his mother lived with McCaw?

I agree, if the plan was to steal guns, knifes and any other items GD knew existed in the home, they would have wanted to get them and leave the house as soon as possible. Were they looking for something else and took longer than expected to find it? Or was this more personal? It's not been reported the relationship dynamic between GD and McCaw...did he resent the fact that McCaw and his mother no longer lived together? Or was McCaw emotionally / physically abusive to GD? Has it been reported how long GD and his mother lived with McCaw?

A couple of years according to this. He had lived there 20 according to this.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back