WA - Gabriel Davies, 16, Found Safe - Then Charged With Murder, Olympia, 30 Aug 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Boys snuck inside via the doggy where they remained inside for about 40 minutes BEFORE the victim entered his home (stumbling -- most likely Sat night drink). DM was seen on surveillance exiting the garage before entering his home.

The shooting did not happen inside the garage but within minutes of him entering his home. It was only after DM was shot that the boys went in and out of the garage before leaving the property.

Maybe they needed his keys for the safe?

I don’t understand this part of narrative. Can someone help clarify?

[RSBM}

“The two went to the McCaw’s house and snuck through the doggy door.
Davies’ father said when McCaw came home, Yoon “ran after him and stabbed him,” and then “Gabe heard a gunshot.

The boys snuck in through a doggy door to the house where the murder took place. This sounds like DM wasn’t home when they arrived but showed up soon after and caught them. So did the victim catch them in the garage where he was first attacked and then fled to his home where the boys followed and ultimately killed him? Why else would he be stumbling from the garage to the home of something hadn’t already happened? Or should we discount anything that jives with the biker story?
The problem is, the SBM narrative came from GD's father. The one who was told and also believes that biker buddy, innocent teenage boy abducting, threatening, masterminds are behind this crime. The same father who takes at face value that his son's friend JY did the all killing that day. It is my belief that the evidence does not support that narrative and that will be made abundantly clear when LE and DA begin to release info in the prosecution of these young men. Unfortunately, til then we have nothing but baloney from the accused to speculate with.

For me, anything that is in the press that starts with Davies' father said will be taken with a mountain of salt.

QUIET, PRIVATE, NEIGHBORHOOD -- FROM THOSE THAT WOULD KNOW:

Kisinger said the 51-year-old kept to himself, but sometimes she did hear him.

“Mostly if he rode his motorcycle because he was the only one in the area on a motorcycle, and I didn’t have to look out to see it was a motorcycle,” Kisinger said.
The severity of the situation is still shocking to many who live on the street.

“The only people that come up here other then those that live here is the mail lady, so it was quite the shock,” said Brainerd.

Source: Orting man killed was ex-fiancé of mother of teen arrested in murder investigation

I have been looking for info on the victim that might offer some idea of who he was. feels like this thread is all about GD. Which you know, he was first a missing person so that made sense when we were all worried about this missing kid. But this is now a murder and he is a perp. I want to know more about the victim, Mr. McCaw. He seems very absent from this thread.

Maybe they needed his keys for the safe?
Perhaps that's what they were ransacking the house for when the victim arrived home - either keys or combination to the safe? Maybe he refused to tell them and then the stabbing and shooting ensued.

The frightening thing is that Washington State does not allow life without parole sentences for juveniles, so these two kids are going to be back on the street someday. Ugh. IMO

ETA: It appears that protection extends to age 21 in Washington state.

"On March 11, 2021, Washington became the first state[1] to extend the constitutional protection against mandatory life sentences without parole to individuals older than 18. In a ground-breaking 5-4 ruling, the Supreme Court of Washington held that the state’s aggravated murder statute, which carries a mandatory penalty of life without parole for adult offenders, was unconstitutional as applied to individuals between the ages of 18 and 21.[2]"

Last edited:
Gabriel Davies’ mom, 50-year-old Amanda Olufson, had been in a relationship with McCaw, according to court documents. The couple had allegedly split up two-to-four weeks before his murder.
Formerly missing teen charged with murder: new details of the night of his disappearance emerge

Not sure of the veracity of the BBM but if so wow, that is recent. Based on wording in other news coverage I assumed the relationship had ended some time back not mere weeks before the killing.

Gabriel Davies’ mom, 50-year-old Amanda Olufson, had been in a relationship with McCaw, according to court documents. The couple had allegedly split up two-to-four weeks before his murder.
Formerly missing teen charged with murder: new details of the night of his disappearance emerge

Not sure of the veracity of the BBM but if so wow, that is recent. Based on wording in other news coverage I assumed the relationship had ended some time back not mere weeks before the killing.
Agree, that is very recent. I also got the impression from earlier articles that they had been together for several years. Didn't they live together prior to the breakup (AO & McCaw)?

ETA - answered my own question:
"Additional property and court records from Pierce and Thurston counties tie the address to a 51-year-old man with longstanding connections to Davies as well as his mother. All of them lived at the address for several years." Source

Last edited:
I have been looking for info on the victim that might offer some idea of who he was. feels like this thread is all about GD. Which you know, he was first a missing person so that made sense when we were all worried about this missing kid. But this is now a murder and he is a perp. I want to know more about the victim, Mr. McCaw. He seems very absent from this thread.

I agree but to be honest, if the victim does not have a readily available social media presence then it typically takes sleuthing others to come up with information but this violates TOS. I can share that sadly, his parents survive him.

I had a look about for social media for him but came up empty.

that youtube channel has zero videos uploaded by DM. All it shows is what videos of others he liked or favorited. Where is the target practice?

"This channel doesn't have any content"

This was the result I got both today and the other day when it was originally posted in this thread.

I can find nothing created by him so I am lost here.

Last edited:
Agree, that is very recent. I also got the impression from earlier articles that they had been together for several years. Didn't they live together prior to the breakup (AO & McCaw)?

ETA - answered my own question:
"Additional property and court records from Pierce and Thurston counties tie the address to a 51-year-old man with longstanding connections to Davies as well as his mother. All of them lived at the address for several years." Source
yes, they did cohabitate. I just didn't realize their break up was that fresh. That could impact my thoughts on motive being more personal than just "I know somewhere we can rob that has guns". It also may affect whether I believe this murder was planned and premediated (albeit very poorly)

yes, they did cohabitate. I just didn't realize their break up was that fresh. That could impact my thoughts on motive being more personal than just "I know somewhere we can rob that has guns". It also may affect whether I believe this murder was planned and premediated (albeit very poorly)
Perhaps GD was in the house looking for property he perceived to belong to AO.

Break-ups can get nasty. Especially when things believed gifts are no longer viewed the same and it more or less becomes "I paid for it, I own it." And not saying there's any evidence this occurred here -- just speculating. MOO

Looking at the street view images, the garage seems to be a large work building with a carport of its own, it is about as big as the house (if not bigger), and there is a sign warning about 24 hour video surveillance. It actually looks large enough to live in. It would appear to me that if the victim had driven up in a car or motorcycle, he would have been seen by the camera(s). Possibly, LE has left out details on purpose.

It just doesn't make sense that they would break into the house if what they wanted was in the garage. If GD lived there and didn't know the combination or where the key was, why did he think he would just find it looking around at 2 AM. If he expected the victim to open the safe for him, he would also have to know that he would need to kill the victim who would obviously recognize him ... unless the victim was somehow involved in criminal activity which would prevent him from going to LE.

Although I don't believe the biker story, it feels like there is a lot of information left out of the public narrative.

Looking at the street view images, the garage seems to be a large work building with a carport of its own, it is about as big as the house (if not bigger), and there is a sign warning about 24 hour video surveillance. It actually looks large enough to live in. It would appear to me that if the victim had driven up in a car or motorcycle, he would have been seen by the camera(s). Possibly, LE has left out details on purpose.

It just doesn't make sense that they would break into the house if what they wanted was in the garage. If GD lived there and didn't know the combination or where the key was, why did he think he would just find it looking around at 2 AM. If he expected the victim to open the safe for him, he would also have to know that he would need to kill the victim who would obviously recognize him ... unless the victim was somehow involved in criminal activity which would prevent him from going to LE.

Although I don't believe the biker story, it feels like there is a lot of information left out of the public narrative.
The timeline is certainly troubling. A simple burglary only takes a few minutes, but the killers arrived at 1:59 am and were still there when the victim came home at 2:41 am. That doesn't really fit with a burglary. 42 minutes? It seems to me they were actually waiting for the victim to come home. Perhaps they weren't looking for any objects or possessions in particular. Perhaps they were looking for him. IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Cool wannabe
Back