WA - Gabriel Davies, 16, Found Safe - Then Charged With Murder, Olympia, 30 Aug 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This confirms what I personally thought. Yes perhaps they did plan to steal, but I believe the ultimate goal from the start was murder. “Ambush” doesn’t sound to me like he came across them stealing things. They waited for him, IMO.
I expect there’s much more to the entire story.

Apparently they pleaded not guilty and aren’t expected back in court anytime soon. I wonder when/if we’ll know more details. I’m relatively new to following recent cases from the onset.

I expect there’s much more to the entire story.

Apparently they pleaded not guilty and aren’t expected back in court anytime soon. I wonder when/if we’ll know more details. I’m relatively new to following recent cases from the onset.
I’m very curious to know the motive. I agree there’s probably a lot more to the story. I do think they planned to murder him — but the reason why remains to be seen. I’ve been on this site for many years but I'm also fairly new to following cases from the onset. The only case I’ve followed from beginning til now is Danielle Stislicki, who is extended family by marriage.

The AA provides that GD and JY had gone camping with other family members and friends at Panther Lake located in Mason County.

Many families have summer cabins on the Lake where there's much recreation available in addition to Lake fishing.

I'm not understanding OP's question. Are you asking who paid for the gas to travel to the cabin or did the youth have to pack their own food? Most don't charge their kids to stay in the family cabin.
I did not read that part of the AA.
It occurred to me that they may have been in a rental cabin. Earlier reports said with friends and family, which can mean a group of people the same age.
Which had me thinking that the cabin was chosen on that particular weekend in that particular area to do the deed.
Just marinating possibilities in my head.
Maybe I should just do that in my head.

This article provides a lot more new information.

Kenneth Davies also raised concerns about McCaw. He said he displayed volatile behavior and threatened the person Davies’ daughter was dating. While waiting to speak with a school counselor, he claimed McCaw said he would go to prison if the person returned to his house because he would hurt them.

Kenneth Davies grew more worried when he visited McCaw’s home for the first time to pick up his kids. He wrote in a court filing that McCaw’s house had security cameras and signs warning about trespassing and 24-hour surveillance. A Confederate flag flew just beneath a U.S. flag in the front yard. A plaque at the front door read in part: “If you choose to break in you will either be shot by a sleeping family member or you have minutes before the alarm calls the cops. If they don’t get you, I will without their help. This will be your last theft.” Once in the car, the kids told their dad that McCaw had other flags inside. One was a yellow Gadsen flag, which has been co-opted by far-right groups. The other was emblazoned with a swastika.

McCaw claimed he yelled at the person Olufson’s daughter was dating for sneaking into the house and allegedly stealing an iPhone charger.

Read more at: https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/crime/article265412351.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:

9/11/22

Records reveal dysfunction, violence in home life of Olympia teen charged with murder

[..]

Kenneth Davies said he disapproved of Olufson’s move to live with McCaw in Orting and never agreed to her move to Gig Harbor four years earlier. In both cases, he said, Olufson failed to petition a judge to adjust their court-ordered parenting plan. The father also said he was concerned about his kids’ performance in school; they both had poor attendance and grades.

Gabriel Davies faced school discipline a handful of times, according to school records filed in court. In elementary school, he was reprimanded twice for harassment or bullying and once for disruptive conduct related to a dangerous weapon.

In middle school, he was cited for violence without a major injury in 2017 and once for being a danger to himself or others in 2018, documents filed in court show. In the 2018 incident, Gabriel Davies brought bullets for a .22 rifle that Olufson and McCaw had gotten him for Christmas, his parents wrote in court filings. He was briefly suspended.

Kenneth Davies also raised concerns about McCaw. He said he displayed volatile behavior and threatened the person Davies’ daughter was dating. While waiting to speak with a school counselor, he claimed McCaw said he would go to prison if the person returned to his house because he would hurt them.

Kenneth Davies grew more worried when he visited McCaw’s home for the first time to pick up his kids. He wrote in a court filing that McCaw’s house had security cameras and signs warning about trespassing and 24-hour surveillance. A Confederate flag flew just beneath a U.S. flag in the front yard.

[..]

MCCAW WEIGHS IN

McCaw filed a legal statement in the custody battle following the allegations against him. He admitted to owning a Nazi flag but claimed he was just a collector. He wrote he had a Japanese flag, Marine Corps flag and pirate flag as well.

McCaw had lived in Orting since about 2000, according to his court filing. He most recently worked for NC Power Systems, an industrial equipment supplier, along with Olufson, according to police records. A supervisor and vice president declined to speak with The News Tribune. Court record searches turn up almost nothing on McCaw.

McCaw wrote in a statement in the custody battle that he had a deferred speeding ticket and a negligent driving conviction from the mid-2000s. Court records show he was cited for a traffic infraction in Orting Municipal Court in 2005. Prior to beginning a relationship with Olufson around 2016, he said he dated another woman with children for 10 years. McCaw claimed he yelled at the person Olufson’s daughter was dating for sneaking into the house and allegedly stealing an iPhone charger.

“I regret the exact way it was handled,” he wrote. As for moving the kids to Orting, McCaw wrote that Kenneth Davies didn’t oppose it when he and Olufson first began discussing it. “I would describe myself as stable, professional, and well-respected within my community,” he wrote. Olufson called in a welfare check for McCaw in 2017 after his speech was slurred and incoherent on the phone. Olufson said he was known to be a heavy drinker at times.

When deputies arrived, McCaw would only speak to them through a window, citing concern about his dog. Deputies wrote he seemed “extremely intoxicated but otherwise fine.” Less than an hour later, a neighbor called 911 reporting Olufson screaming and pounding on the windows of McCaw’s house trying to get inside. Deputies called her and told her to leave. She said she was trying to check on McCaw.

DOMESTIC VIOLENCE ALLEGATIONS

A judge decided to send the Davies children, 16 and 12 at the time, to live with their dad to start the 2018 school year, according to court filings. Another legal wrinkle came in the custody battle in January 2019. The Davies’ daughter confided to a guidance counselor who pulled her out of class for her failing grades that her father had been violent at home, according to court filings.

[..]

A judge dismissed the case in March 2019, ruling there wasn’t enough evidence to prove a domestic violence incident occurred. The kids returned to their dad’s care. In January 2020, a permanent parenting plan ordered that the kids live with their dad on weekdays and their mom on weekends.

ANOTHER WELFARE CHECK

McCaw’s supervisor called 911 on Sept. 1 around 9:30 a.m. asking for a welfare check on McCaw because he hadn’t shown up to work in four days. The GPS on his work truck showed it hadn’t moved from his house. Deputies found him dead shortly before 11 a.m. About three hours later, McCaw’s supervisor called back to ask what happened, according to dispatch records. He also told dispatchers that McCaw had been dating Olufson, whose son was the subject of a missing-person search in Thurston County.

The supervisor said the relationship did not end on good terms and that, like McCaw, Olufson also had missed some days at work that week. She was out on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.

Last edited:
From personal experience, NC Power Systems is huge in PNW and Alaska -- also the Catepilllar Dealer for WA and AK. Their tech teams are on call 24/7 so it would be no surprise for the victim to be away from home, and frequent USPS mail holds. Known nepotism and I would not be surprised if DM got the teen's mother a job at NCPS. MOO

I did not read that part of the AA.
It occurred to me that they may have been in a rental cabin. Earlier reports said with friends and family, which can mean a group of people the same age.
Which had me thinking that the cabin was chosen on that particular weekend in that particular area to do the deed.
Just marinating possibilities in my head.
Maybe I should just do that in my head.

Asking questions and sharing views is what we are all here for. Please don't be worried that you shouldn't!.

In the 2018 incident, Gabriel Davies brought bullets for a .22 rifle that Olufson and McCaw had gotten him for Christmas, his parents wrote in court filings. He was briefly suspended.

He would have been around 12 when he received a rifle for Christmas. This is something, seen in other cases, where parents have given kids a gift that they were either too young or too irresponsible to own.

The supervisor said the relationship did not end on good terms and that, like McCaw, Olufson also had missed some days at work that week. She was out on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.
^^rsbm
This has me wanting to go back and research a couple of Gray Hughes youtube videos as I recall he phoned AO when she personally put her phone# on blast (when GD was believed missing).

ETA: AO was absent 8/29, 8/30, and 9/1

IMHO It is likely that all we are seeing on this unfortunate case right now is only the beginning of the onion being peeled back. None of the information so far gives any indication that everything was running smoothly in any part of the family situation. Also, those associated with the family did not appear to help the situation. Sadly, regardless of the circumstances there was a death. There is nothing pretty about any of this. Call me curious but I am interested in mom's role.

Federally it’s legal to give a gun as a gift to another person, as long as that person is not a prohibited person. Of course in giving the gift, you have to follow all applicable federal laws.

With Kids​

You can gift a gun to a child in most states. However, they won’t be able to have possession of it until they reach legal age. They can use the gun with the supervision of an adult and even hunt and compete with firearms. Of course, make sure you seek parental permission before gifting a gun to a minor.

In Washington, a person under age 18 may not own or possess a firearm, unless he or she is:
  • In attendance at a hunter’s safety course or a firearms safety course;
  • Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shooting at an established range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located or any other area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited;
  • Engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm;
  • Participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group that uses firearms as a part of the performance;
  • Hunting or trapping under a valid license;
  • In an area where the discharge of a firearm is permitted, when the individual is not trespassing and is either:
    • At least 14 years of age, having been issued a hunter safety certificate, and using a lawful firearm other than a handgun; or
    • Under the supervision of a parent, guardian, or other adult approved for the purpose by the parent or guardian;
  • Traveling with an unloaded firearm to or from any activity described above;
  • On real property under the control of his or her parent, other relative, or legal guardian and has permission of the parent or legal guardian to possess a firearm;
  • At his or her residence and, with the permission of his or her parent or legal guardian, in possession of a firearm for the purpose of lawful self-defense, defense of others, or defense of property; or
  • A member of the armed forces of the United States, National Guard, or organized reserves, when on duty.6

He would have been around 12 when he received a rifle for Christmas. This is something, seen in other cases, where parents have given kids a gift that they were either too young or too irresponsible to own.
^^rsbm

In many states including WA, a child at the age of 14 can legally use a long gun, and many receive their first gun at age 8!

Nonetheless, it appears that GD was never in a home environment or psychologically stable to be in possession of any weapon.

IMO, teen(s) ambushing a man in his own home presents to me as someone with major anger issues.

Defendant JT is the mystery now. Tribune reporter stated the teen resides in Tumwater (borders Olympia) but they'd been unable to determine where he attended school. MOO

^^rsbm

Defendant JT is the mystery now. Tribune reporter stated the teen resides in Tumwater (borders Olympia) but they'd been unable to determine where he attended school. MOO
By MSM reports now, there definitely was dysfunction, and a poor family dynamic for GD that may have contributed to his state-of-mind and current charges. I can understand his possible anger, not justifying his actions, but wondering what he told JT and/or how he convinced him to be a part of the burglary / murder. It's one thing to say "hey do you want to help me steal something," versus "will you help me kill someone," if indeed that was the intended reason for breaking into DM's home that night...imo.

This article provides a lot more new information.

Kenneth Davies grew more worried when he visited McCaw’s home for the first time to pick up his kids. He wrote in a court filing that McCaw’s house had security cameras and signs warning about trespassing and 24-hour surveillance. A Confederate flag flew just beneath a U.S. flag in the front yard. A plaque at the front door read in part: “If you choose to break in you will either be shot by a sleeping family member or you have minutes before the alarm calls the cops. If they don’t get you, I will without their help. This will be your last theft.” Once in the car, the kids told their dad that McCaw had other flags inside. One was a yellow Gadsen flag, which has been co-opted by far-right groups. The other was emblazoned with a swastika.

McCaw claimed he yelled at the person Olufson’s daughter was dating for sneaking into the house and allegedly stealing an iPhone charger.

Read more at: https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/crime/article265412351.html#storylink=cpy
It is behind a paywall. I hope some other newspaper will repost.

Last edited:
We do not know who specifically was on the camping trip.
The one where the young men snuck out.
It may be pertinent.
I understand not naming innocent people for privacy reasons, however I'd like to know which family members were on the trip.
I can dream.

^^rsbm

In many states including WA, a child at the age of 14 can legally use a long gun, and many receive their first gun at age 8!

Nonetheless, it appears that GD was never in a home environment or psychologically stable to be in possession of any weapon.

IMO, teen(s) ambushing a man in his own home presents to me as someone with major anger issues.

I suspect JT did not know exactly what JT was getting himself into. GD may have just told JT that DM was out of town for the weekend and there was a house full of guns and knives ripe for the picking. We haven't heard that JT had any kind of beef with DM, though GD certainly did. We haven't heard that JT even knew the victim, much less had motive to kill him. GD is the one with a direct connection to the victim and was likely the mastermind of this caper. IMO

9/11/22

Records reveal dysfunction, violence in home life of Olympia teen charged with murder

[..]

Kenneth Davies said he disapproved of Olufson’s move to live with McCaw in Orting and never agreed to her move to Gig Harbor four years earlier. In both cases, he said, Olufson failed to petition a judge to adjust their court-ordered parenting plan. The father also said he was concerned about his kids’ performance in school; they both had poor attendance and grades.

Gabriel Davies faced school discipline a handful of times, according to school records filed in court. In elementary school, he was reprimanded twice for harassment or bullying and once for disruptive conduct related to a dangerous weapon.

In middle school, he was cited for violence without a major injury in 2017 and once for being a danger to himself or others in 2018, documents filed in court show. In the 2018 incident, Gabriel Davies brought bullets for a .22 rifle that Olufson and McCaw had gotten him for Christmas, his parents wrote in court filings. He was briefly suspended.

Kenneth Davies grew more worried when he visited McCaw’s home for the first time to pick up his kids. He wrote in a court filing that McCaw’s house had security cameras and signs warning about trespassing and 24-hour surveillance. A Confederate flag flew just beneath a U.S. flag in the front yard.

[..]

MCCAW WEIGHS IN

McCaw filed a legal statement in the custody battle following the allegations against him. He admitted to owning a Nazi flag but claimed he was just a collector. He wrote he had a Japanese flag, Marine Corps flag and pirate flag as well.

McCaw had lived in Orting since about 2000, according to his court filing. He most recently worked for NC Power Systems, an industrial equipment supplier, along with Olufson, according to police records. A supervisor and vice president declined to speak with The News Tribune. Court record searches turn up almost nothing on McCaw.

McCaw wrote in a statement in the custody battle that he had a deferred speeding ticket and a negligent driving conviction from the mid-2000s. Court records show he was cited for a traffic infraction in Orting Municipal Court in 2005. Prior to beginning a relationship with Olufson around 2016, he said he dated another woman with children for 10 years. McCaw claimed he yelled at the person Olufson’s daughter was dating for sneaking into the house and allegedly stealing an iPhone charger.

“I regret the exact way it was handled,” he wrote. As for moving the kids to Orting, McCaw wrote that Kenneth Davies didn’t oppose it when he and Olufson first began discussing it. “I would describe myself as stable, professional, and well-respected within my community,” he wrote. Olufson called in a welfare check for McCaw in 2017 after his speech was slurred and incoherent on the phone. Olufson said he was known to be a heavy drinker at times.

When deputies arrived, McCaw would only speak to them through a window, citing concern about his dog. Deputies wrote he seemed “extremely intoxicated but otherwise fine.” Less than an hour later, a neighbor called 911 reporting Olufson screaming and pounding on the windows of McCaw’s house trying to get inside. Deputies called her and told her to leave. She said she was trying to check on McCaw.

DOMESTIC VIOLENCE ALLEGATIONS

A judge decided to send the Davies children, 16 and 12 at the time, to live with their dad to start the 2018 school year, according to court filings. Another legal wrinkle came in the custody battle in January 2019. The Davies’ daughter confided to a guidance counselor who pulled her out of class for her failing grades that her father had been violent at home, according to court filings.

[..]

A judge dismissed the case in March 2019, ruling there wasn’t enough evidence to prove a domestic violence incident occurred. The kids returned to their dad’s care. In January 2020, a permanent parenting plan ordered that the kids live with their dad on weekdays and their mom on weekends.

ANOTHER WELFARE CHECK

McCaw’s supervisor called 911 on Sept. 1 around 9:30 a.m. asking for a welfare check on McCaw because he hadn’t shown up to work in four days. The GPS on his work truck showed it hadn’t moved from his house. Deputies found him dead shortly before 11 a.m. About three hours later, McCaw’s supervisor called back to ask what happened, according to dispatch records. He also told dispatchers that McCaw had been dating Olufson, whose son was the subject of a missing-person search in Thurston County.

Well, let me put it so, I would be hesitant of dating a man like McCaw, nor would he be popular in my community. But as long as what he did was considered legal and acceptable in his community, killing him it is still a murder. So trying to explain now that McCaw was “a very bad man” makes the situation only worse. If GD’s mother chose to raise her children in DM’s house, adorned by Confederate and Nazi flags as well as “Halt! Oder wir schiessen!” warnings since 2016, she must have been perfectly OK with it.

I suspect JT did not know exactly what JT was getting himself into. GD may have just told JT that DM was out of town for the weekend and there was a house full of guns and knives ripe for the picking. We haven't heard that JT had any kind of beef with DM, though GD certainly did. We haven't heard that JT even knew the victim, much less had motive to kill him. GD is the one with a direct connection to the victim and was likely the mastermind of this caper. IMO

Agree with GD possibly manipulating a co-defendant!

Actually, we don't know that GD had any legitimate beef with DM either. DM may have been a good guy that not only bought GD gifts but also put a roof over his head and provided food on his table. Too many stepdads or boyfriends don't always get the credit they deserve. In this case, DM isn't here to defend himself. Reportedly, DM has a clean record -- and cleaner than GD's. MOO

Why was GD unaware of the CCTV in McCaw's house - he used to live there after all!

Maybe McCaw had it installed after GD and his Mom left, but why would he feel the need to do that?

A man living in a rural, quiet place by himself who owns many guns shouldn't need CCTV once his girlfriend and step-son moved out.

Unless....there was bad feeling between the two parties and McCaw didn't trust either GD or his mother to come back and cause trouble. Perhaps threats had been made when the relationship ended a few weeks previously?

MOO.

Last edited:
Why was GD unaware of the CCTV in McCaw's house - he used to live there after all!

Maybe McCaw had it installed after GD and his Mom left, but why would he feel the need to do that?

A man living in a rural, quiet place by himself who owns many guns shouldn't need CCTV once his girlfriend and step-son moved out.

Unless....there was bad feeling between the two parties and McCaw didn't trust either GD or his mother to come back and cause trouble. Perhaps threats had been made when the relationship ended a few weeks previously?

MOO.

Respectfully, why would DM NOT have security for his rural home when he's known to travel often and be away from home for extended periods of time?

Also, since it appears the only surveillance recovered by police included the exterior door entrance where teens were filmed crawling in via the doggie door (and the time they exit), and the victim exiting his garage and entering his residence, perhaps GD turned off any other existing surveillance cameras including the safe which I believe was located inside the garage.

The rural mail carrier interviewed expressed her opinion that the neighborhood outside of Orting was not what she considered a safe place, and not surprised to learn of the murder. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
azouheir
Back