Found Deceased WA - Jenise Wright, 6, Bremerton, 2 Aug 2014 - #10 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO his compliance with his defense attorney's guidance to not answer any questions in the competency eval would be an indicator of competency in and of itself.

Thank you, MsMarple. After reading your post, things make more sense to me now. I must have missed that article. Btw, I always enjoy your take on things.

Thank you for your kind comment, EmmaRose. :loveyou:

At the snail's pace this is dragging along it's a wonder we can even remember the names of those involved, let alone all the details of the case!

My patience is wearing woefully thin. :mad:

IMO they will have to have the evaluation done, just to put what happens in the record, and to complete it -- however "complete" it will be, again, for the record. This part therefore, when done, will not be grounds for an appeal. I feel sure the judge will insist that it be done, no matter what the Defense Team says, etc. One more thing accomplished for justice for Jenise, her family, and the People of the State of Washington.

I can't imagine why the DT would advise GG not to answer any questions, but I know nothing about these evals. Seems to me, it would help him more than hurt him -- if he answers the questions -- but we'll see, I guess. And I agree with the judge -- just get it done ASAP. And get on with the rest of it. Now. Grrrrrr.

JMHO

Agree. If it helps make a conviction stick, bring it on! Can't wait to get it done. Maybe following so many tragic cases has made me have no patience for the monsters we happen upon. I keep coming back not only to see justice, but hopefully lend support to those who lost a loved one. No one should be left alone to deal with the pain and wreckage someone else has purposely inflicted on them.

Hi! Well it has taken me a few days to work myself thro the threads on this case in order to be able to post. Altho I have had many thoughts on the various topics through out the thread, I do not feel ready to comment at this time.

I would like to recommend Jodi Picoult's book "9 1/2 minutes". Although it is fiction, it looks at many of the factors and experiences here thro many different people's perspective and lens'.

It's very complicated and I hold another person 200% responsible but I lost my son to suicide at 20 years of age. In many ways I feel like the mother of both the murdered and the murderer at the same time.

Unknowingly having the genetic susceptibility, this and many other losses, hardship and stress...a mild depressive tendency developed into full blown bipolar 1 later in life. I have experienced psychotic breaks, each one being worse than the last. The last time 3-4 years ago, I have no memory of a 2 week period. My partner knew I was a bit...um, different but had no idea in the world I was in a blackout. I have also had some very bad reactions to medications...one would make me feel, think and partly act like a mean drunk within 30-40 minutes of taking it. So, of course, I have an interest in the mental health issues in this case.
I think I want to share that because I am an intelligent and caring person. My family could not see that I was ill, when depressed they thought I was malingering.. I can think and act logically, I am not my illness. However my illness can completely take over who I am at times. Hormonal changes seemed to tip things over the edge for me. I am no longer fully functional and collect SSD for my mental disability. Still, I am a good person who struggles with a bad disease.

For the scientists out there, yes I was born very premature and have had several knocks to the head and a concussion at least once and I am open to them being mitigating factors in the development of my illness.

TIA

And defense lawyers wonder why nobody can stand them.............tactics and games like this is the reason.

But.........that is how our court system is set up. Let's drag everything out as long as we can, let's lie and fabricate as much as we can, let's all milk the clock for as much money as possible, and after everyone begins to get tired of the game, we'll have ourselves a verdict a few years from now.

Yes, justice does move slow.........but it is designed that way........by the people profiting from it. I think most people would view it as never-ending job security.

Delays might be part of the defence tactics and the way our court systems are set up, but lies and fabrication certainly are not.

Another thought.... What do you suppose made people think GG had to be tested in the first place? Was it because he sat there letting his nose run at the police station?? As far as was reported, he seemed to be acting normally before he was charged. Driving, texting, playing sports, going to school. What made someone think he could be incompetent? I don't get it.
I am just jumping off your post, but what is "acting normally?" His wrestling coach said he was very quiet until he got on the mat then he changed. Is that really normal? Yes, he was driving, but he was driving with his mother. Someone to watch over him and make sure he was doing it OK. He was on anti-depressants, even while in school, and I'm pretty sure that isn't considered "normal". Don't get me started on texting, which IMO can be anything from normal to completely abnormal and no one seems to notice the difference half the time. I've looked at pictures of GG with his brothers. I don't see "normal" in GG's eyes, as I do in his brothers' eyes. (you know, the difference between looking at the camera and looking through the camera? It might be medication related or not.) That alone makes me understand why there were people who thought GG should be tested so there couldn't be any backlash about GG getting a proper defense later. JMO.

To not do the competency evaluation would be penny wise and pound foolish. No one wants a mistrial.

I was not auditioning to testify for the defense with my post. I am at a loss to even begin to think I have an inkling about how this young man came to commit such a brutal act, but he did do it and I believe he did it on his own without any provocation or others involved.

Like Ghostwheel, I do see little signs that his mother at least regarded him as fragile. The postponement of the DNA swab and parental reaction is very telling to me.
I believe he did make a prior suicide attempt. It's unfortunately far too common amongst young men in his age group and it would explain a number of things to me.

I have many questions that would come out and hopefully be answered in a trial but for the sake of all involved, I do hope they come to a plea agreement.

I would not be upset if he were sentenced to a mental institution. Even tho he is being tried as an adult, it was mentioned some while back that medically and scientifically his brain would not reach maturity until he was 26 years old....9 years into the future from now.

Dragging things out must keep the wounds fresh and excruciating for everyone. That the justice system is a bureacracy can be a hard pill to swallow at times.

jmho

I am not convinced that this young man had any depression. Did he simply placate the Family due to his flat affect? Fragile? No I just think they knew something was wrong. They found an answer that made sense. He committed a horrific act upon an innocent child. A sexual act. He is what it is. IMO. He seemed to function at a more than acceptable level. He needs to go. Away. For life. A life Jenice will never have. IMO.

bb

I've got a word for it: sociopathic

And it does seem to me that it would be better for him if he were found to be incompetent, but I don't know what types of questions, etc., those competency tests have in them. Anybody know anything about those tests?

IMO we will never know the results. It will serve no purpose to the Defense. He played the game in his questioning with LE and his ever changing demeanor. He tried it with LE and I have no doubt his Family bought his act. No blame just sayin....

bb

I've got a word for it: sociopathic

And it does seem to me that it would be better for him if he were found to be incompetent, but I don't know what types of questions, etc., those competency tests have in them. Anybody know anything about those tests?
IMO the only benefit to being found incompetent is that his trial will be delayed. If he's found incompetent, they'll just keep evaluating him periodically until he is found competent. (That's happens frequently here in Washington. We're finally starting a trial that's been postpones for years because of mental incompetence.) The evaluation consists of mental health testing and IQ testing. If the defense wants to go for an insanity plea, I believe they'll do their own testing by their own psychiatrists.

I want this guy to be tried as much as the next person. I have no doubt he's guilty and was legally sane when he committed the crime. That being said, I also want a fair trial that will stand up to any possible appeals. If Kitsap County doesn't dot their i's and cross their t's now, who knows what will happen down the road. I'm tired of WA convictions being thrown out on appeal. I'm also tired of innocent people being convicted of crimes they didn't commit. GG might be guilty IMO but everyone deserves a fair trial.

Thinking of Jenise today. Hope she is playing happily in heaven.

I respect the possibility of ''mental illness'' but am leaning at this point more towards an entitled spoiled brat who is playing Mr Macho - a person who has gotten his own way by being a bully. (MOO)

He's possibly advised his lawyer that he won't answer questions possibly because he barely answers hers??

He may be just a bad seed .... with a very bad attitude.

Ditto.........you get a gold star on your forehead for such a good evaluation !! :happydance:

Now let's hope the jury see's it the same way. :gathering:

I respect the possibility of ''mental illness'' but am leaning at this point more towards an entitled spoiled brat who is playing Mr Macho - a person who has gotten his own way by being a bully. (MOO)

He's possibly advised his lawyer that he won't answer questions possibly because he barely answers hers??

He may be just a bad seed .... with a very bad attitude.

I agree with your assessment wholeheartedly.

Oct 31 is a long time to wait! Hope we don't get tricked ............

Article from Kitsap Sun, posted 10-22-2014. Because of copyright, I am just summarizing parts and pasting a link.

GG/attorneys expected to declare at an Oct. 31 court hearing that he is mentally aware enough to stand trial.
The mental health eval is not completed yet but GG's own lawyers will stipulate that he is competent.

GG faces charges of first-degree murder and first-degree rape of a child for the assault and death of Jenise. GG is expected to plead not guilty to the charges at the Oct. 31 hearing.

Despite declaring himself competent to stand trial, GG retains the right to pursue a mental health defense, saying he is not guilty by reason of insanity or saying he had diminished capacity at the time of the crime.

GG has been continuing his education while incarcerated. He would have been a senior at Olympic High School this year. GG turns 18 years old Dec. 23 and he will be transferred to the Kitsap County Jail at that point.

"Prosecutors said they wanted the competency evaluation to ensure Gaeta understands the charges against him and can participate in his own defense in light of an anti-depressant medication and his conduct during questioning."

The article said the volume of documents generated by the investigation and other evidence, called "discovery" was immense.

“Discovery in this case, no joke, is overwhelming" said Prosecutor Montgomery.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/local...cted-to-say-he-is-fit-to-stand-trial_75938077

Well at least some of the delays are wrapping up . His lawyers realize they cannot drag their feet forever. Thanks for posting this, Crazy :)

I read an article about the KCSO's financial woes - it's local politics but it mentioned Jenise's case and one other thing of interest:

During the first six days of the investigation into 6-year-old Jenise Wright’s disappearance and homicide in August, the office racked up $75,000 in overtime, Simpson said. One count of the effort had about 500 people involved in the operation.

And:

“In the end, this is a people business we are in, and it takes people to do it,” he said. Newlin also said the jail is requesting funding to pay for a second day of coverage from a psychiatrist and weekend coverage from the mental health practitioner.

bbm

It looks like even evaluations done in jail might be wait-listed but given the timing I think some political pushing is going on too. Of course, if the prosecution and defense agree that GG is competent to stand trial (and that's what's been reported) then it won't matter in the end. I wonder if his trial date will be set at the next hearing. I sure hope this doesn't get dragged out for years.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/local-news/sheriffs-office-seeks-budget-increase_41330464

BTW, I don't live in Kitsap county but my little town is talking about similar problems - we have elections coming up in early November.

I think it's good that you raise your concern. This was part of a chain of responses where I was answering "with my regular poster hat on" with my experience as a parent with legal issues and mental health issues.

To clarify, my son was attempting suicide when I called the police. In his frustration, he threw the knife and it landed at my feet. That brought him a charge of aggravated assault, even though it didn't touch me and he was 15 feet away from me. Because a dangerous weapon was involved, he was charged with a strong felony with a domestic violence attachment. There was a maximum sentence for that charge of 25 years in prison, the presumptive sentence was 7 years. He pleaded (at the advice of the attorney I hired) to a class 6 non-violent felony with two years probation. The domestic violence charge was removed. He now has a felony on his record and has no work experience at all because he was only just 18 when this happened. Finding a job, even with mental health case workers involved, is nearly impossible with an active felony on his record.

We don't know anything about GG really. We have had many posts by other posters that he may have had some sort of break or medication reaction. We simply do not know. We don't know that he may not be a victim in some sense as well. Regardless of our opinions of whether that should affect his sentencing, his parents probably have their own opinion and ultimately, it will be up to the judge if any of that matters in his sentencing, etc.

With the context of the OP's post and wondering if the parents could have any impact in a plea deal or with the defense attorney, it is a given to me that any parent is going to want whatever happens to their child as a consequence to want the easiest path possible.

I do try to note that I'm posting with my "regular poster hat on" but feel that it's distracting to paste that into every single response when there is a chain. I am sorry that you felt it was inappropriate.

I'm quite late to the conversation. Just catching up to recent events. I wanted to express a deep gratitude I think most of us feel toward you. You are a tireless champion of the rights of victims and their families in these cases, to maintain their dignity and privacy. And you also have been gracious enough to give us, from time to time, your unique perspective as a mother to beautiful children who suffer from mental illness.

It it has educated me. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member