GUILTY WA - Jennifer Bastian, 13, Tacoma, 4 Aug 1986 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I still get confused on that line about the visits to Washburn's home. Maybe if they wrote out the actual person they are referring to, and not use JB, since those are Jenni's initials? I realize they are talking about the Illinois neighbors. I just need to remind my goofy brain.

Thank you for all of your posts! The information is invaluable.

That's me doing the writing there - JB IS Jenni. She visited his daughter over there. Do you want me to put "something else"? I took that from her mother's words in some article, way back when....

That's me doing the writing there - JB IS Jenni. She visited his daughter over there. Do you want me to put "something else"? I took that from her mother's words in some article, way back when....

Oh! I thought Jenni's mom is Pattie Bastian. I'm sorry if my confusion is even pertinent. Time for bed :)

Oops - I know my answer.... :rolleyes: post deleted.

Bills in legislature coming down to the wire as cutoff nears (with clip)

February 28th 2019

"OLYMPIA, Wash. — It is coming down to the wire for key bills in the state legislature to make it passed the cutoff this week. Two crime bills just made it under the wire in the House Thursday....

This same committee was scheduled to take up a bill (SB 1326) that expands the types of crimes for which DNA can be collected. "It is extremely essential this bill gets passed," said it's sponsor Rep. Brad Klippert, R-Kennewick, who is also a deputy sheriff.

He said the bill is named for Michella Welch and Jennifer Bastian whose 1986 murders in Tacoma were solved by DNA evidence. "I hope that it gets passed today," he said. "It's very essential for public safety in the interest of justice in Washington state."

But late in the day it was announced the bill doesn't need that committee to act on it. Instead it is being sent straight to the Rules Committee to get set for a vote on the floor. This all happened after KOMO inquired about it. Klippert said, "Still alive, sir."...."

Bills in legislature coming down to the wire as cutoff nears

ad2037cd-59e1-4f50-a77b-dd712c0efbb3-smallScale_160406_komo_tacoma_cold_case_murders.jpg

NBC News’ “Dateline” program Friday evening will focus on the case of a Eureka man arrested last year in the slaying of a Washington state girl.

Robert Washburn was arrested last year in what had been a long-cold case involving the slaying of Jennifer Bastian.

The 13-year-old disappeared in 1986 in Tacoma while riding her bike, and her body was found weeks later.

'Dateline' broadcast Friday to focus on Eureka killer of Washington state girl

Mother of murdered Tacoma girl backs bill to expand state DNA law (with clip)
If passed, ‘Jennifer and Michella's Law’ would expand the number of DNA samples sent to the national database.

April 9, 2019

"OLYMPIA, Wash. — Pattie Bastian is trying to change state law decades after her daughter was murdered in Tacoma. She hopes bringing her daughter’s name to the bill might help get it passed.

“I think it gives a human element to it,” said Bastian, who testified in favor of what could be “Jennifer and Michella’s Law.

The bill in the Washington state Legislature would expand the number of DNA samples sent to the national database....

Robert Washburn pleaded guilty to Jennifer Bastian’s murder last month. Gary Hartman is currently awaiting trial for Michella Welch’s murder...."

Mother of murdered Tacoma girl backs bill to expand state DNA law

Washington's new DNA law named for two murdered Tacoma girls
Jennifer and Michella's Law, which will expand Washington's DNA database, is named after two girls murdered in Tacoma decades ago.

May 21, 2019

"...Washington Governor Jay Inslee signed Jennifer and Michella’s Law on Tuesday afternoon.

Jennifer Bastian, age 13, and Michella Welch, age 12, were killed within five months of each other in Tacoma in 1986....

In January, Robert Washburn pleaded guilty to Bastian’s murder.

Welch’s suspected killer, Gary Hartman, is set for trial next January.

Under the new law, detectives can now obtain DNA samples from deceased sex offenders and those convicted of indecent exposure are required to submit samples to the state and national DNA database...."

Washington's new DNA law named for two murdered Tacoma girls

WA - Michella Welch, 12, Tacoma, 26 March 1986 *arrest*

My hometown, supposedly notable for our volume of serial killers per capita. (This fact not verified by me, feeling lazy at the moment)
These cases made my childhood terrifying. Nothing felt safe. Bike rides were opportunity for my mom to absolutely freak out (and all the more reason for me to want to get the heck outta the house). She was friends with Jennifer’s dad.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missing wonder
Back