WA WA - Leah Lund (found), 16, & newborn Hazel, Everett, 10 Sept 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I would like to believe that the police would get a cavity search warrant since they need "confirmation" that she has given birth. A newborns life is at stake. It's not about Leah anymore.

If a newborn's life is at stake they shouldn't waste time trying to make sure she exists they should get out there and find her. Leah needs their help right now too.

I hope she does get medical care and I hope she gets to make the choice herself. Someone doing a cavity search because they assume she's lying sounds draconian to me. "Someone on the internet said you were lying about being pregnant. Now spread your legs." No.

Oh, the body can be cruel that way.
search warrant.

If police go through the proper procedures to obtain a search warrant that authorize a body cavity search, the search will be presumed legal.

When a court considers whether to issue a warrant that authorizes a body cavity search, the judge typically weighs:

The reasonableness of invading a suspect’s body to search for evidence of a crime, and*The state’s interest in obtaining evidence of the crime.

Because body cavity searches are so invasive, the government is typically required to prove that it has a very high interest in obtaining evidence of the crime.

Even when police have obtained a warrant to conduct a body cavity search, some federal courts have found that body cavity searches are unreasonable if there are less invasive means of finding that evidence.

https://newyorklegaldefense.com/when-can-police-conduct-body-cavity-searches/

A body cavity search is entirely different than an obstetrical exam.

If a newborn's life is at stake they shouldn't waste time trying to make sure she exists they should get out there and find her. Leah needs their help right now too.

I hope she does get medical care and I hope she gets to make the choice herself. Someone doing a cavity search because they assume she's lying sounds draconian to me. "Someone on the internet said you were lying about being pregnant. Now spread your legs." No.

I was thinking more along the lines of if they decide to charge her with something related to the missing and she says she really was not pregnant. At that point, would/could they make her prove she did not recently give birth? I checked to see BHCG levels would be useful and I believe the answer is they would not.

After delivery, miscarriage, or pregnancy termination, human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) falls with a half-life of 24 to 36 hours, until prepregnancy levels are reached. An absent or significantly slower decline is seen in patients with retained products of conception

http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/61718

I was thinking more along the lines of if they decide to charge her with something related to the missing and she says she really was not pregnant. At that point, would/could they make her prove she did not recently give birth?

RSBM

The burden of proof is on the state, not the accused. She would not have to prove anything. That being said, I have no clue if a medical exam cam be compelled to collect evidence in a criminal case.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I was thinking more along the lines of if they decide to charge her with something related to the missing and she says she really was not pregnant. At that point, would/could they make her prove she did not recently give birth? I checked to see BHCG levels would be useful and I believe the answer is they would not.

http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/61718

I don't know. From what I've read so far no one else saw the baby, there isn't a father looking for his missing baby, no one can verify she was pregnant, and they don't have a body. Is that enough to charge her with lying about having a baby and having gone missing? Or eventually they decide she did have the baby and abandoned or killed her and they're going to charge her with that unless she submits to a pelvic exam? I guess it depends on what they can uncover about where she was and what happened to her, and whether or not she was with anyone else, and whether or not they ever find Hazel.

I hope she has a good lawyer.

???? is right. I still haven't figured out who reported her missing, where and how she reappeared, or how they arrived at the possible birth dates.

I'm wondering if Leah was getting prenatal care before she disappeared and that's how LE arrived at the assumed delivery dates and also that it was a girl. And who named her Hazel, mother, media, family??? There have been no eyewitness accounts that this baby even exist. It seems investigative reporting is a thing of the past and media these days just pass on the blurbs they are handed without putting any effort into the story themselves.

The baby must be dead by now. Hope she goes to jail for a long time.

WTH? I hope there wasn't a baby for the baby's sake at this point, but if there was what could have happened to her? Did she sell her or give her to someone else? She could have found someone on Craig's List who is looking to adopt, and have been getting money from them all along, just saw a story about a women who did that to a few couples, but never had a baby. I'd like to know more too, about other questions that have been asked... like was her pregnancy ever medically confirmed?

I know this was already gone over but if she was addicted to heroin and was still doing it when she gave birth, if she just handed that baby off to someone who doesn't know they could have no idea. As mentioned, heroin withdrawal isn't deadly for adults but babies could be different, and would need medical attention. Again, if she did really have the baby, and it was alive, I hope she gave it with someone with enough sense to take it to the doctor, though how are they going to explain it? I doubt (again, if there actually was a baby) that anything was done in any kind of legal way. But still, I'd rather than than find out she just gave birth to the baby, live or dead, and just dumped her somewhere. Very frightening case. I can't wait for more answers.

WTH? I hope there wasn't a baby for the baby's sake at this point, but if there was what could have happened to her? Did she sell her or give her to someone else? She could have found someone on Craig's List who is looking to adopt, and have been getting money from them all along, just saw a story about a women who did that to a few couples, but never had a baby. I'd like to know more too, about other questions that have been asked... like was her pregnancy ever medically confirmed?

I know this was already gone over but if she was addicted to heroin and was still doing it when she gave birth, if she just handed that baby off to someone who doesn't know they could have no idea. As mentioned, heroin withdrawal isn't deadly for adults but babies could be different, and would need medical attention. Again, if she did really have the baby, and it was alive, I hope she gave it with someone with enough sense to take it to the doctor, though how are they going to explain it? I doubt (again, if there actually was a baby) that anything was done in any kind of legal way. But still, I'd rather than than find out she just gave birth to the baby, live or dead, and just dumped her somewhere. Very frightening case. I can't wait for more answers.

It is frightening. I hope there was no baby too, and she somehow gets help out of this. She's young and there's still a chance for her. Maybe as messed up as it is this could give it to her.

When I was in college a girl no one knew was pregnant gave birth in the dorms. No one would have found out if someone hadn't seen her putting a duffle bag in a Dumpster off campus. I don't remember if they did an autopsy but I know she wasn't charged. She was gone for a semester and then came back. Anyway, I think what happened to her baby is what happened to Hazel, if in fact there was a Hazel, and I doubt she will ever be found.

No leads in search for missing baby after mother found
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20151014/NEWS01/151019518
Jasmine Jones, who identifies herself on Facebook as Lund's sister, on Tuesday publicly urged people to wait for more information before drawing conclusions or passing judgment.“Please keep in mind when reading/watching the news, that my sister, Leah, is a 16 year old child, not capable of making adult decisions,” she wrote in a Facebook post that included Lund's photo. “As her sister, I ask that everyone please try to be kind and understanding. I'm confident my sister will make the right decision to come clean with everything. I love you Leah. I made this public so hopefully one day soon you can read it. I'm here, I'm not going anywhere.”

Heroin withdraw is very rough. Shakes, diarrhea, vomiting, soreness, etc... IF there was a baby and she was detoxing, Leah may have snapped. I take the reporters statement of the baby born outside of a hospital to mean baby was born without medical supervision. If there was a baby born literally outside of a hospital (like a parking lot) the mother and baby would have went inside after to be checked out. I hope there was/is no baby and Leah gets the help she needs!

The baby must be dead by now. Hope she goes to jail for a long time.
I don't. I hope she enters treatment for her drug addiction, gets clean, stays that way, and remains a productive member of society for the next 70 years. 16 is way too young to throw in the towel.

I don't. I hope she enters treatment for her drug addiction, gets clean, stays that way, and remains a productive member of society for the next 70 years. 16 is way too young to throw in the towel.

I agree. 16 and already an addict. She has a story of her own that we don't know. I am so different from who I was at 16. I assume that her life leading up to drug use/ addiction/pregnancy/birth was enough trauma to follow her around forever. She was never given a chance. I hope she gets the help she needs and deserves.

I'm sorry to say I am confused and could use some help.
Why is it belived Leah was originally pregnant?
Who named the baby Hazel?
Is Leah too addled to be of assistance?

Thanks to any one who can help me better understand.
Leah's sister is a strong advocate for her. I'm so glad for that.

I'm confused too. I just went back and read links and unless I missed one I don't see anything confirming she had a baby. I am assuming she told people she was pregnant, that's why that was reported, but whether or not it was confirmed is another thing. As for having the baby? I see no proof of that, only that she supposedly gave birth between Sept 10 and 18 I believe and the baby was named Hazel. No idea where that came from. All stories I read just said people had seen her, no one has seen her with a baby and there is no picture of the baby available. I wish they would clear this all up a little, they need to find out if there is actually a baby missing or not.

I agree. I have a feeling there was no baby. Her facebook makes no mention of a baby, no ultrasound pics or belly pics like so many other teen mothers post.
It may have been a lie that spiraled out of control and that is why she disappeared. I could see a drug addict making up a baby in order to convince someone to give her money.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back