WA WA - Leah Roberts, 23, Whatcom Co, 13 Mar 2000

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I watched this show last night too and it seems that LE is waiting for the DNA results even now? But that the fingerprints found under the hood did not match the man from the bar. I'm not sure which of her items had DNA on it and whether it will turn out to mean anything. But LE seems to feel sure that someone rigged the car to go over the embankment and that Leah would not have known how to do it.

In the gas station video, remember she looked out at her car - I thought she might have been looking at someone she let check under her hood, and possibly that's when the starter was tampered with. (Though timeline would be wrong since after that she went to eat and then saw a movie, if I have that correct?)

I was thinking that whoever killed her, tampered with her car afterward in order to get it to go down over that embankment.

I kind of thought she was looking to see what pump # she was at, when she looked out the window, I always forget by the time I get inside to pay.

I agree, I got the impression that LE believed that the cars' mexchanism was tampered with to simply get it moving w/o a person behind the wheel. The theory is that someone did this seconds before the car barreled down the ravine.
I couldn't wait until this episode of Disappeared came on. I've been following Leah's case for years. However, the show didn't much delve into the clothing, towels, etc that covered the windows of the Jeep (so rain wouldn't get in?). I thought they'd do more with that than merely mention it! If everyone assumes that no one was in the car when it ended up totaled on the side of the mountain, then why did it seem as if someone as living in the car? Because after the accident the windows were smashed out, different items were used as curtains almost, to keep the elements from the car. Why is this?
All of the evidence points to a crime of passion, to me, unplanned and spontaneous. Leah's money, little more than a couple thousand, was still in one of her unworn jeans pocket, along with her deceased mother's ring that was found under the floorboard. It might not have been robbery... but was her wallet/purse ever found or mentioned? No one would think to look in someones clothing for a stash.
What does it all mean? Has there been updates pertaining to the DNA?

I agree, I got the impression that LE believed that the cars' mexchanism was tampered with to simply get it moving w/o a person behind the wheel. The theory is that someone did this seconds before the car barreled down the ravine.
I couldn't wait until this episode of Disappeared came on. I've been following Leah's case for years. However, the show didn't much delve into the clothing, towels, etc that covered the windows of the Jeep (so rain wouldn't get in?). I thought they'd do more with that than merely mention it! If everyone assumes that no one was in the car when it ended up totaled on the side of the mountain, then why did it seem as if someone as living in the car? Because after the accident the windows were smashed out, different items were used as curtains almost, to keep the elements from the car. Why is this?
All of the evidence points to a crime of passion, to me, unplanned and spontaneous. Leah's money, little more than a couple thousand, was still in one of her unworn jeans pocket, along with her deceased mother's ring that was found under the floorboard. It might not have been robbery... but was her wallet/purse ever found or mentioned? No one would think to look in someones clothing for a stash.
What does it all mean? Has there been updates pertaining to the DNA?

It was my thought after seeing the Discovery show that her car was ditched someplace other than where she used it to sleep in or had been in it last.... the windows being covered is strange, how far would a perp drive a car like as it would call attention to himself. Did she drive it like that? Seems she had only gotten into town - had a meal, saw a movie, and then something happened to her.

Also, it seemed like her cloths were kept in her car all these years - could that be true?

yeah, apparently. the car had gone undiscovered for a bit in WA, but after it was removed from the woods Leah's sister held onto it. I think she kept it in police dept storage (?) just in case more evidence could be taken from it. And thank God she did! Thats exactly why LE had the opportunity to look under the hood....
I honestly cannot think why the windows would've been covered like they were with the towels, etc. What transient is living up in the mountains of Washington in a smashed up car? Its too weird.

nobody ever stayed in the car imo, the whole thing was staged to look exactly like what most people ended up thinking it was...

imo someone killed leah, then drove the car into the woods, rigged it to drive off the cliff, staged the scene to look she survived the accident and sheltered herself in the car for however long and then wandered off and doesnt know who she is/died etc...

this same person then called the police later to report that "hey that girl you say is missing, yeah my wife and i saw her and she was disoriented and didnt know who she was"... *click*

and that is exactly what most people guessed happened for a long time. thankfully that detective went and re-examined the vehicle.

the Disappeared show did a real bad job explaining what the current state of the investigation is at the end of the show. left me with a lot of questions that i hope the current investigator has pursued.

Does anyone know if Leah (and her cat) were sleeping in that car or do the receipts show she used hotel/motel rooms in her travel across country and especially in Washington?

Sounds to me, like they have now the DNA they need to move ahead in this case. With a vehicle "rigged" such as this one, sounds like foul play to me.

I forgot to ask also, on the ID program, they showed Leah going into a convenience store, I think it was the 13th, to buy something, and they showed her looking out the window at something (or someone)...

Did anyone happen to catch the time she was there and craning her neck to look outside the window?

I'm thinking someone was outside waiting for her.
Perhaps in her car already.

It looks like findleah.org is down :-(

I missed this episode, does anyone remember what the mods made to the car were? I'm wondering if maybe they were made sometime during the trip, just to get the car running.

It doesn't make a lot of sense that someone would take the risk of climbing down the embankment after a setup to place blankets in the window. You've got glass that can cut you and leave DNA behind. A lack of blankets would lead investigators to think that she immediately left the car.

Bellingham isn't that small of a town (80K), for the record. The mall in question is right off I-5, visible from the Interstate. I don't think the list of movies playing is visible from I-5.

IF Leah didn't get any gas starting in Brooks, then her tank would have been getting close to empty by the time she got to Bellingham, that's a 300 mile trip.

The fuel capacity of a 1993 Jeep Cherokee is 22 gallons, and mileage is 19 combined city-highway. So you'd be looking at a 418-or-so mile range. Her gas tank would have been 1/4 full, and she would be setting off for Mount Baker, another 40 miles away, with only the occasional gas station and certainly nothing once she entered the park (and even a non-local would have guessed that.) In other words, she almost certain refueled sometime after Brooks, Oregon.

It would be pretty easy to verify the claims of the person who called to say they saw her fueling up in Everett, that's only 60 miles so her tank would have been close to full. I'd say it would be a safe assumption that she was always filling up the car, she certainly had the cash. So if the police measured the amount of gas in the car, they'd be able to verify at least that part of the story. In fact, they may be able to tell approximately the last time she filled up.

As far as the car being found on a logging road - there are logging roads and there are logging roads. Some really don't go anywhere except up a mountain. Some are in decent shape and are common roads for people looking for a place to hike (or ski during the winter) travel on. I've been on those before.

That a jogger found her car means it was probably one of the latter. I don't see why someone - presumably a local - would dump her car in an area where people are jogging. Consider the chances of being seen! And the car being found quickly. There are plenty of logging roads that basically go nowhere where the car could be dumped at and probably wouldn't have been found for months.

Lastly - she left North Carolina on March 9. She was in Brooks, Oregon on March 13. That's NOT a lot of time to cross the country. I know she really wanted to get to Washington State, which may explained why she hauled, er, you know, across the country, but she also didn't seem to stop and "smell the roses" once she entered the state; she filled up on the morning on the 13th in Oregon, and went through 250 miles of Washington State apparently without stopping and enjoying the beauty of the state. March 13 was also a Monday, meaning she'd be fighting traffic in Portland/Vancouver, Olympia, Tacoma, and Seattle. Driving all this way to get to Washington and then going to a movie that you could have seen anywhere in the country? I don't get it. Yes, Kerouac's novel was set in Whatcom County where Bellingham in located - but you don't stop to check out Seattle when she probably drove right through it?

Not a lot about this case makes a lot of sense, but Leah's actions don't make much sense either to me.

i don't know if this was mentioned at all before, but i know that it was revealed either on Disappeared or in an article that one of the men in the restaurant with Leah, sitting up at the bar, next to her, who claimed she left with the man on her other side, has knowledge of machinery - particularly vehicles. He also had a difficult time providing a description of the other man he insisted she left with. I know there were valuables left in her car, but I believe foul play came to her before the car was crashed and it was an attempt to make her disappearance look more like an accident. No blood or other evidence consistent with someone being in such a car crash was found in vehicle either, which I find strange. Just odd that investigators found her car to have been tampered with, and a look into one of the witnesses at the bar/restaurant happened to be very knowledgeable when it came to vehicles, motors, machines, etc.

I just finished watching a rerun of Leah's case on Disappeared. I'm not sure if they edited to add more details or not.

At the bar, a guy she was chatting w/ contacted LE to say that he remembered having a conversation w/ her. He stated she was also chatting w/ a guy on the other side of her (sitting at the bar). LE tracked down the second man. His story did not match the story of the first man who came forward. The first man said Leah left the bar alone.

The second guy stated that Leah left the bar w/ a man named Barry. He gave such a detailed description that LE generated a sketch based on his description. Only, the description was a little too detailed.

After speaking to LE, the second man moved to Canada (which strikes me as odd). It took LE 2 years to get his fingerprints and DNA through Canadian LE. His fingerprints did not match the prints located under the hood. They were going to compare the DNA to male DNA located on some type of property owned by Leah that was found in the wrecked vehicle. Then the show ends w/out an update on the DNA testing.

All of the links here have since been disabled. Does anyone know if the photos of Canyon Creek Road are still available anywhere? I've seen posted that all of her belongings were not picked up and some still remained at the scene. It makes you wonder if there is possibly anything out there that may still hold clues. Why would they leave anything behind in a case like this?

Findleah.org is down. I'm not sure when it went down, but it's still registered to her bro, according to WHOIS. I wonder if they are updating, or ?

I'd be the last to criticize any family member of a missing person, esp. this family that seems to really put their souls into finding their sibling. But I wonder if they took it down for an update, or perhaps a particular reason? Like, maybe LE did get some info. on perhaps what happened to Leah, which resulted in her brother taking down the site? Probably just wishful thinking on my part (that perhaps they located a perp) or that maybe, God willing, they located Leah! That would be excellent, but IMO unlikely....

I always felt this was a really strange case.

While I doubt she's alive, lets hope she is.

Come home soon, Leah!

I haven't heard of the show "Disappeared". Is it kinda like what Unsolved Mysteries used to be?

I always felt this was a really strange case.

While I doubt she's alive, lets hope she is.

Come home soon, Leah!

I haven't heard of the show "Disappeared". Is it kinda like what Unsolved Mysteries used to be?

sort of similar to the old Unsolved Mysteries, but without Robert Stack!

You can fnd a good number of missed episodes on YouTube:

Disappeared - Brittanee Drexel Episode - YouTube

Here is my 2 cents on the Leah Roberts case. Seeing this case for the first time on Disappeared I immediately knew something was up as soon as they said that there was no blood inside the Jeep and no stress on the belt buckle as well as no sign of someone hitting their head on the dash or window. Immediately alarms start going off. How the initial detective on the case did not realize that something was amiss immediately blows my mind. I am glad he retired because he failed as a detective and investigator, just horrible. It is impossible for someone to be in a car wreck such as this and walk away unharmed. They said the car was going 30 to 40 mph when it went off the edge, the car flipped and rolled several times before crashing through a line of trees and abruptly laying on its side. No way in hell anyone is walking away from that wreck without broken bones, punctures, fractures, cuts, etc. NO WAY! Thankfully, the new detective checked under the hood and found that someone had tampered with the engine. It is quite apparent that whoever did this to the car had skilled knowledge of car engines. Leah did not possess these skills. The suspect at the bar that lied to the police has a background in car mechanics and well as served in the military. This person is suspect number 1 in my book. This person has since moved to Canada (how convenient). The fingerprints under the hood do not match with the person but that does not mean anything, he was probably wearing gloves. I hope that the DNA matches up and they can finally put this person behind bars. It is all very clear to me; she goes to the bar and has a few drinks. Being naïve, trusting and outgoing she probably told them that she was on her own and she was planning on going up to the top of the mountain and just chill out and take things in and write. Well to a predator, this is like music to their ears. You have a young pretty girl, alone on the road, camping out in the wilderness with no one around. This person was chomping at the bit. I think he probably stayed in the bar for a while then followed her after the film let out.

Here is what I would recommend. They need to find out where the suspect lived and send cadaver dogs and people armed with metal detectors to scout out the area near this persons old dwellings. They need to investigate the suspect’s life and find out about his old hangouts and places he frequented and check those areas out as well. Leah left her laptop at her home I believe. Have the investigators sent her laptop to forensics for a thorough inspection? There could be some emails and other information in there, possibly with people she was talking to in Washington State or someone she was going to meet.

The only thing that is tripping me out about this case is the blankets in the window. When I was 23, I drove across the country from Indiana to Los Angeles stopping only twice. The second time I stopped was just to visit my sister; otherwise, I would have kept going. From time to time, I would stop and catch a few hours of sleep here and there and I would sometimes put blankets and towels up in the windows to block out the sunlight and keep people from looking in. This is the only possible explanation. There is no chance that after the wreck someone would go down there and put the blankets in the windows after the fact. Why would someone do this?

I don't know if the rerun I saw today was updated, but I heard the detective guy say that the guy from the bar that had moved to canada turned out not to be a match for the fingerprints under the hood of the car. They found the fingerprints there in 2007 and it took two years to get them back so that was in 2009ish. The episode aired in Feb of 2011. I think they were waiting to see if he was a match on the DNA that was found on some of the clothes in car... that sounded like it was going to take longer to get b/c it was sent into the FBI.

I didn't understand why the special ring was placed under the floor mat, and how it even managed to stay there thru the rollover OR if it was placed there after it was pushed over the cliff? That's the part that really got me.

Does anyone if her brother is on Facebook? I would love to ask him some questions. Most cases I read/see/hear about I don't have lots of hope they will ever reach a resolution. With this one I feel it's possible though.

I don't know if the rerun I saw today was updated, but I heard the detective guy say that the guy from the bar that had moved to canada turned out not to be a match for the fingerprints under the hood of the car. They found the fingerprints there in 2007 and it took two years to get them back so that was in 2009ish. The episode aired in Feb of 2011. I think they were waiting to see if he was a match on the DNA that was found on some of the clothes in car... that sounded like it was going to take longer to get b/c it was sent into the FBI.

I didn't understand why the special ring was placed under the floor mat, and how it even managed to stay there thru the rollover OR if it was placed there after it was pushed over the cliff? That's the part that really got me.

I don't think it was placed under there. I think thats just where it happened to land/get stuck after the crash.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayabusa1300
Back