WA - Lindsey Baum, 10, McCleary, 26 June 2009 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, new user here. I'm in Olympia (25mi east of McCleary)

Some pics of the area where she disappeared.

"Looking west near 7th and Maple" (That would be the direction she was coming from.)
baummccleary1.jpg

http://www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv31511.php

I had thought about posting this picture (found it online too) because i believe that is the shell gas station at the end of the road there. However I'm not 100% that would've been her route.

I have been to this gas station several times but it's been about 6+ months.

I should probably drive back out there just to be sure but here's some (probably useless) info that i recall

I recall the Shell station not being a direct shot off the highway.

I don't think most people passing through (on the hwy, heading west) looking for gas would stop in McCleary. You can't see it off the hwy & it involves 2 stops & turns. I wouldn't say the exit/entrance 'grabs people.

I'm not sure about heading east. But i suspect it'd involve at least that ^. (+going over hwy)

I recall the bus station being pretty much a stones throw from the Shell station.

I think it is just a local transit station. I believe if the child had gotten on a bus a driver (or some one else on the bus) would've popped up. Not to rule out anyone involved with the bus station though. Some one might want to see if they can pull up the actual drop off schedule.

I have walked from that Shell station to the bus station (& beyond) during a prior 'event' (phelps family threatened to show up, didn't happen)

I thought about attending the vigil last night but after watching videos & reading here i think posters may (careful emphasis) have pointed out some legitimate (fishy) things.

I have read (i think) most but not all of this thread & touched off/on w/monkeys & insession. Fairly informed but not 'all in'.

The brother w/the fishing pole thing kind of bothered me. Was he seriously just fishing somewhere? If so where & who (if anyone) was with him? Any additional information on him or his fishin' ?

When i was last in McCleary to (photo) the prior 'event' (which didn't happen) i was actually harassed by a McCleary LEO. So at the moment, i'm not terribly a fan of them.

Not a 'journalist but i do sometimes show up to protests/events take photos & post online. Thought about heading out there.

Steadfast those photos look scary in the day light I can't imagine at night - it looks like a car could have just stopped and totally taken her right off the street. But what are the chances a stranger with bad intentions just happened by at the exact moment her friend stopped walking her home just a couple of blocks from her home without a soul seeing it?

I know people vanish but it just seems like she must have been followed if not all day then from the video store, or from the moment her brother was scolded and sent back home (by who - I want to know who sent him home if he was supposed to walk her to and from her friend's house what adult sent him home!). If her mom set out on foot at 10pm to look for her - how could she have not have found someone who had seen her - Lindsey left KK's house at about 9:30 - so had to have been snatched between 9:45 and 10.

If her friend walked her halfway home I would assume at about 9:45 she was alone and the perp was watching long enough to know that.

Dont know if this was posted yet:

Missing Washington Girl's Mother Thinks She's Alive, But Out of the Area

The mother of a missing 10-year-old Washington girl believes her daughter is alive but has been kidnapped and taken out of the area.

Melissa Baum said she thinks her little girl Lindsey, who vanished Friday night, was snatched and is no longer in their hometown

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,529688,00.html?test=latestnews

Statements like this always raise a red flag for me. Why on earth would you speculate about your daughter's whereabouts unless you were trying to lead authorities away from the truth. Either you know where your daughter is or you don't. Speculation just makes me believe she knows.

Kayla is the nickname for Michaela, Kara's daughter. Lindsey left Kayla's house to walk home, then vanished.

That's what I thought, but look at the above article that was posted:

“They live right behind us,” said Jennifer Estes of the Baum family, stunned that an apparent kidnapping took place paces from her home. “Michaela (her daughter) rides her bike and walks by herself all the time.”

snipped-
So mummy lied - it was dark at 9:15 according to many sunset maps. Also, the brother was not the last one to see Lindsey. I wish I had more info on the friend that last saw her, but have no suspicions on her. Why didn't mummy go pick her up?? Mummy asks her to come home at 9:30, and calls 911 shortly before 11:00 PM. wTF?? Why didn't she go looking herself (do we know)? Did she call the friends house? Or....didn't she care?

http://www.nwcn.com/topstories/stories/NW_062809WAB-Mccleary-girl-missing-sun-SW.165195dd.html

Another negligent mother IMHO.

Mel

It was later reported that at 10:00p.m. Lindsey's mom called Kara and learned that Lindsey had left much earlier. Because Lindsey's mom, Melissa, didn't have a working car, Kara came to pick her up and they went to search for Lindsey. They didn't find her and called the police around 10:50p.m.

Great set of facts, btw!

"
mlachester 3 hours ago wrote:
http://www.king5.com/membercontent/memberprofile.html?ukey=12187227
Also people need to know Lindsey had told a friend a white car had been folling her and that another 11 year old girl was also talked to by someone a=in a white car the guy tryed to get her in by going as far as telling her she could drive the car. She ran and told her mom and yes the police knows this too."

http://www.king5.com/topstories/sto...-LJ.1fc0b759.html?ocp=1#slcgm_comments_anchor

I was just coming here to post this. It sounds like it might have been made up or at least a little contrived (the stereotypical 'white car') esp. since according to KK this person doesn't have the best track record for truth-telling.

Yet, I still think this is a really serious thing that needs to be checked out.

About the sex offenders - Is there any way to tell what kind of car(s) may be registered in their name?

@Distracted: I have been reading that it turns out Lindsey did not take that route home, and instead opted for an alternate route that she took on occasion. (At least, that was where the dogs found her scent.)

Certainly a long way for a girl to walk by herself, but I wonder what the alternate route was exactly. I haven't been able to find much information on it.

Coast Guard Stops Search For Possible Missing Person After Bicycle Was Found Abandoned On Ferry
The bicycle was abandoned on the Bremerton to Seattle run. Ferry employees have been unable to locate the bicycle's owner.
12:53 PM PDT, July 1, 2009
<snipped>
SEATTLE - The Coast Guard has stopped their search for a possible missing person Wednesday afternoon. Officials found an abandoned bicycle on the Washington State Ferry Kitsap in the morning hours of Wednesday.

The bicycle is described as a red Huffy Eagle Sport. It was abandoned on the Bremerton to Seattle run. Ferry employees have been unable to locate the bicycle's owner.

A helicopter crew from Port Angeles is scouring the area searching for any sign of the possible missing person. A boat crew is also on the water searching.

Article:
http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-070109-ferry,0,7841978.story
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Missing McCleary Girl: 5 Days And Still No Sign Of Lindsey Baum
FBI And The National Center For Missing And Exploited Children Join Search For 10-year-old Lindsey Baum
July 1, 2009
<snipped>
MCCLEARY - It has now been 5 days since anyone has seen 10-year old Lindsey Baum from the small town of McCleary, 25 miles west of Olympia. The FBI along with the National Center For Missing And Exploited children has now joined the search.

Lindsey disappeared Friday night as she walked from a friend's house to her own home. Her mom called police when Lindsey failed to show up around 10 p.m. that night.

Tuesday night friends and McCleary area residents gathered for a candlelight vigil for Lindsey. Earlier in the day, searchers used planes and helicopters to search from the air while ground crews on horses and motorcycles combed nearby trails for any sign of the missing 10-year old. Grays Harbor County Undersheriff Rich Scott says several tips have come in and investigators want to talk with anyone who saw anything suspicious in McCleary between 8:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. Friday night.

Melissa Baum talked with Q13 FOX News Monday night. She says she's hoping against hope that her little girl will be OK.

She says; "I'm trying very hard to avoid thinking about what could be. My heart tells me she's alive. I actually feel like she's alive but every hour that goes by is getting harder and harder and I feel like we're running out of time we've got to find her."

Grays Harbor County Undersheriff Richard Scott said he's not sure what happened to Baum.

"This is a girl with no means, no money, and no true opportunity to leave. We have nothing specifically that is pointing us in any direction that is going to allow us to rule out any scenario.... this may be a worst case scenario criminal investigation involving a predator or predatory behavior," Scott said.

VIDEO: Missing McCleary Girl 3:22
http://www.q13fox.com/videobeta/watch/?watch=cce03f28-90dd-4c60-b2df-789107a2daf8&src=front

Article:
http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-062709-missinggirl,0,6893810.story

:angel:

I was just coming here to post this. It sounds like it might have been made up or at least a little contrived (the stereotypical 'white car') esp. since according to KK this person doesn't have the best track record for truth-telling.

About the sex offenders - Is there any way to tell what kind of car(s) may be registered in their name?

@Distracted: I have been reading that it turns out Lindsey did not take that route home, and instead opted for an alternate route that she took on occasion. (At least, that was where the dogs found her scent.)

Certainly a long way for a girl to walk by herself, but I wonder what the alternate route was exactly. I haven't been able to find much information on it.

I don't trust posters that don't know how to spell and post long run-on sentences - seems KK is pretty clear in her posts and mlachester person is eager to blurt things out in a cryptic fashion with lots of spelling errors. :rolleyes:

I also think it is very very long way for a little girl to walk alone. sigh - but then again she set out with her brother, and her friend. Her brother was going to walk her back home, but an adult saw them fighting and sent him back home. She then got to her friend's house and was told she had to go back home without her friend - so she didn't have her brother or a friend all the way home and did not have her phone. I don't think her mother knew about all of this and it just so happens someone else did.

Snipped from Angelwhocares post # 517.

The girl&#8217;s route home would have taken her from her friend&#8217;s house in the 600 block of Maple Street, along the residential street with no sidewalks.

FWIW, I, personally, am not considering anything that KK posts on the internet at other crime boards as factual information unless it is verified by LE. Nothing against her, but I trust LE sources more than a bystander. JMHO.

also from the article:
But a minute or two before she crossed 3rd Street, she disappeared. A neighbor spotted her about two-thirds of the way home, Scott said.

Those snips give us an idea about which area on Maple she was leaving from...and also which area on Maple LE suspects she disappeared from. JMHO.

Some felons of interest I didn't see posted in the thread already -
Kyle Swanson, 73, convicted of Stalking in the 1st degree. Lives along W Simpson Ave.
Maurice Waters, 36, convicted of Attempting to Promote an Obscene Sexual Act. Lives around 8th st & Ash St.
Kevin Bright, 49, convicted of Kidnapping in the 2nd degree. The map doesn't give a very good picture of where he lives, but it looks like it's on the northern outskirts of McCleary.

There are SEVERAL other felons & sex offenders who haven't been listed that live on the southern end of McCleary and its outskirts. Have these guys all been checked out by LE? Do any of them own a suspicious white car?

Hmmm...

respectfully bolded by me.

Syttende did you read that Lindsey took another path and the dogs picked up that scent from someone other than KK? If you did I missed that link, but don't worry about finding it for me, I'll go look myself if you tell me it's been confirmed...TIA :)

Snipped from Angelwhocares post # 517.

FWIW, I, personally, am not considering anything that KK posts on the internet at other crime boards as factual information unless it is verified by LE. Nothing against her, but I trust LE sources more than a bystander. JMHO.

also from the article:
But a minute or two before she crossed 3rd Street, she disappeared. A neighbor spotted her about two-thirds of the way home, Scott said.

Those snips give us an idea about which area on Maple she was leaving from...and also which area on Maple LE suspects she disappeared from. JMHO.

This may be why LE checked all the homes in the area - she vanished quickly as if plucked into one of the houses she passed.

I will never forget those two little girls who disappeared within months of each other and ended up that their neighbor took them into his home and killed them, then buried them in his yard in some concrete. He was also part of the search and talked a lot on tv before he became a suspect.

respectfully bolded by me.

Syttende did you read that Lindsey took another path and the dogs picked up that scent from someone other than KK? If you did I missed that link, but don't worry about finding it for me, I'll go look myself if you tell me it's been confirmed...TIA :)

I read it first from a news source, and then I saw KK say it, as well.

I can't remember which news source, though. There's so many links posted in here! :confused:

This is my first post on this forum, and I apologize if this is a question that's already been answered. I did look through the posts, and didn't see it, but may have missed it.

My question is this:

I know this child's father is in another state. Is it at all possible that she's trying to get to him? If she's really been having a hard time with the divorce, and things aren't so hot at home, wouldn't it make sense that the little girl would want to try running to Daddy?

Perhaps I'm wrong, and I don't see why she would have ran away without her cell phone or money, but it's just an idea.

Okay I will go and find the news source. The first I heard of it was when KK posted it to another crime board.

Also, it contradicts what the LE spokesperson said as of today about her disappearance. He doesn't say an alternate route was taken. He informs us that she left a home in the 600 block of Maple, traveled down to within a couple of minutes of reaching 3RD ST and then disappears.

KK is suggesting something other than what LE is reporting IIRC.

snipped-

It was later reported that at 10:00p.m. Lindsey's mom called Kara and learned that Lindsey had left much earlier. Because Lindsey's mom, Melissa, didn't have a working car, Kara came to pick her up and they went to search for Lindsey. They didn't find her and called the police around 10:50p.m.

Great set of facts, btw!

Hi, I've been following this on a few forums. I don't know if I can post a copy or link here of what was said on another forum, but in it KK stated that she does not drive.

This is my first post on this forum, and I apologize if this is a question that's already been answered. I did look through the posts, and didn't see it, but may have missed it.

My question is this:

I know this child's father is in another state. Is it at all possible that she's trying to get to him? If she's really been having a hard time with the divorce, and things aren't so hot at home, wouldn't it make sense that the little girl would want to try running to Daddy?

Perhaps I'm wrong, and I don't see why she would have ran away without her cell phone or money, but it's just an idea.

I hope this is true and she is found, but I think she would have spotted already, however even a run away can be in danger of running into an evil person. If she didn't have money she may have tried to hitch a ride, however I believe other drivers would have seen her, unless someone offered her a ride immediately. THE WRONG SOMEONE.

That's what I thought, but look at the above article that was posted:

“They live right behind us,” said Jennifer Estes of the Baum family, stunned that an apparent kidnapping took place paces from her home. “Michaela (her daughter) rides her bike and walks by herself all the time.”

Michaela is the friend's name but her nickname is Kayla. It's all over myspace.

I hope this is true and she is found, but I think she would have spotted already, however even a run away can be in danger of running into an evil person. If she didn't have money she may have tried to hitch a ride, however I believe other drivers would have seen her, unless someone offered her a ride immediately. THE WRONG SOMEONE.

That's my fear. I keep imagining her getting mad and deciding to take off for Daddy's house, then running into somebody who offered to "help" her get there.

I'm not sure what it is, but something about all the details of this case really sit wrong with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webster23