WA - Lindsey Baum, 10, McCleary, 26 June 2009 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<<Respectfully snipped & bolded>>

JVK,

I am most curious about 'That girl was up to things' comment by Mark. How would he know (and even more interestingly, what did he think he knew?) Did you get the sense he knew Lindsey personally or that he just knew of her (perhaps from hearsay)?

Thanks,
Soulscape

IMO it probably came from hearsay.

<<Respectfully snipped & bolded>>

JVK,

I am most curious about 'That girl was up to things' comment by Mark. How would he know (and even more interestingly, what did he think he knew?) Did you get the sense he knew Lindsey personally or that he just knew of her (perhaps from hearsay)?

Thanks,
Soulscape

I know. I've also been mulling that around in my head for days. He also said that the jeweler did not like Lindsey. Did she try to shoplift from the jewelry shop? And what about the jeweler? We have a picture of the jewelry shopfront here.

Ugh! I am getting so upset. All these missing children that can not be found. I am reaching the breaking point.

The world appears to be full of sick people and good hiding places.

I have a question and it may sound very silly. When your in the military and being deployed & your child goes missing...what happens? I know LB's dad has leave right now, but how long does he have? What's the rules?

I'll let someone answer that before I finish the rest of my thoughts.

Bolded by me respectfully. Those aren't silly questions Cajungirl. Yes there are Regulations and Rules that would dictate what should be done in a situation like this in regard to the leave granted and the deployment of a soldier. It is my understanding from what I have read in articles that Lindsey's father is activated National Guard. At one point in time their rules and benefits etc...were different from regular active duty but there are very few differences now. Those gaps have been filled in the many years that we have been in combat cycle.

I think a missing family member would be covered under emergency leave. In that case, it would be up to his command to determine how long his leave will be. Can't see them deploying him at this time, but you really never know.

Also, something to keep in mind is that at his age, he is probably in a leadership position and may want to accompany his young soldiers into their dangerous assignment. He may feel he can do more good and save more lives in Iraq than in McCleary.

Bolded by me:)

Excellent explanation Steadfast :)blowkiss: from one military wife to another:))

Here is a rough outline of how it probably worked. Either Lindsey's Mom or the LE in McCleary sent a Red Cross message to his chain of command when Lindsey was confirmed to be missing. A Red Cross message must be sent.

The chain of command would have had to verify the information (by calling LE in McCleary). Once that information was verified and LE shared their concerns about Lindsey's disappearance and safety, the chain of command would have moved into action and granted emergency leave. We dont' know what LE had to say to the chain of command.

Now about emergency leave. All active duty soldiers have leave that accumulates because they are given X amount of leave for every month of service (across the board pretty much for all NCO's or Sr. NCO's for those that don't know that acronym think...leadership). The CDR (Commander) can only grant up to 14 days beyond what the accumulated leave the soldier has...for example the soldier has 28 days leave accumulated he can be granted up to 6 weeks leave? Understand?

As always there are LOOPHOLES :D, if her father wanted to stay he could sign out of TN and resign in at a post in WA. Therefore he wouldn't be seen as on leave anymore but still could remain in WA.

My take on this is...this soldier is dedicated to his soldiers and he is now in WA to see if anything can be done to help find Lindsey. He has a tough choice ... stay in McCleary and wait and see if Lindsey is found, or lead his soldiers
Into combat.
Soldiers that he has taken the responsibility for, helped to train.

I see nothing wrong if he chooses to deploy. Yes I honestly think he was given the choice . But then again I have been a military wife for a very long time and my perceptions are different from the civilian sector.

I hope that answered the questions that remained in the minds of those here that are unfamiliar with the Military. If not, let me know I'll do my best to answer any questions to which I know the answer.

Speaking of somebody living in the woods...there is such a person, although I don't know who he is yet. One of the locals posted info about the ORV park, which listed an onsite caretaker. IIRC, our local poster also has a friend who works at the park. Maybe the friend can identify the caretaker.
I'll go find the post.

Also, re: pools and parties, Lindsey went to a 'pool party' the day she disappeared. What do we know about this party?

BRB

Speaking of somebody living in the woods...there is such a person, although I don't know who he is yet. One of the locals posted info about the ORV park, which listed an onsite caretaker. IIRC, our local poster also has a friend who works at the park. Maybe the friend can identify the caretaker.
BRB
That would be me, I'll ask her about an "onsite caretaker"

Exactly. Which pool is it and where? I know that it was discussed on this board and I think jvk, or another local poster said most people have the set up pools and that there isn't a public pool?

Also, what of the video store? Who was in there when the girls went in?

This is what gets to me, LE says no leads yet and there are so many places where the perp. could have been around Lindsey. I know they have investigators doing more interviews. C'mon, they couldn't have covered it all in such a short time.

Did she try to shoplift from the jewelry shop?

Nail -> Head.

When i spoke w/KK she mentioned Lindsey getting caught for shoplifting. She didn't say when/where. I tend to believe it wasn't @ the Jewelry shop but maybe a gas station or store.

The reason i said (imo) 'hearsay' w/Mark ^ is because of the way he said 'things' - just didn't come off like he was (+/-just) referencing the 5 finger - (edit: if at all) + I don't recall him giving indication of (real) first hand knowledge. (of Lindsey specific stuff)

- Keep in mind the character we're talking about. (Mark)

It's possible several people were aware of Lindsey's incident ^ (which may or may not (+/-fully) explain some peoples overall opinion of her &/or family.)

I was really hoping not to be the person to mention this. I'd asked for advice on this @ the last minute (right before you'd mentioned it) but decided not to wait.

That would be me, I'll ask her about an "onsite caretaker"

Thanks, Gailrene! The post I was looking for is in the last "general" thread, now locked, so I copied it :eek: over here. Thank you, too, JenniferO!

JenniferO posted 7/6/2009 at 03:58pm:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86074&page=6

Straddleline ORV Park webpage
http://www.co.grays-harbor.wa.us/info/ORV/

has a notice that it will be closed today (doesn't say why but we can safely assume it's because they are searching it)

The ORV park is HUGE.
PARK FACILITIES
One mile motocross track with four-wheel drive and off-road course on its infield.
1/8 mile clay flat track
Drag strip
Off –road grand prix, barrels, and obstacle courses
Access to 80,000 acres of ORV, horse, and hiking trails
Spacious, forested campgrounds with both individual and group sites
Restrooms with showers
Concession
3,000 square foot meeting hall
Kid’s riding and play areas
Picnic facilities for small and large groups with covered shelters available for reservation
Recreational game area (equipment available for check out from park office)
On-site caretaker
Covered grandstands

**bolded by me

more info here

BBM

(In my imagination only, this "on-site caretaker" lives in a small furnished cabin, not far from the park office, year round. He's a fixture. Everybody who works there knows him, and probably likes him. He will be familiar with the local kids, some of whom surely spend every minute of their summers in the park, and he probably grew up doing the same with their parents. He'll drive a truck, filled with tools and plants, and he'll have a CB radio tuned to the park office. He will be trusted and dependable, both 'one of the boys', and 'authority', becauses he uses said authority with a light but firm hand. He may be a hunter, and may work for the Parks Service, but not as an official Park Ranger; he is more like the greens-keeper of a golf course. He loves this place. It is his home. He may be married, but if he has children they are grown or gone. He interacts with the public casually and frequently; he is a blue-collar worker, less visible than the campground or track employees. He knows where all the equipment is kept, and he may take care of park vehicles such as mowers and ATVs.)

I'm not sure where all that came from.:waitasec:

I know. I've also been mulling that around in my head for days. He also said that the jeweler did not like Lindsey. Did she try to shoplift from the jewelry shop? And what about the jeweler? We have a picture of the jewelry shopfront here.

Hi ~ Don't mean to butt in, but here's JVK's original post and her notes and thoughts about Mark and what he had to say about Lindsey. It was the fact that he was aware that she was "on the internet" right after he said she was "up to things" that made me make a mental note of his remarks.

"Mark portrayed 'Peter' (iirc) (the owner or worker of the Jewelry shop ^, on Maple) as not having a 'great opinion of Lindsey &/or the Baum family. "~That girl was up to 'things'" (Lindsey)

Mark also didn't have such a great opinion. Mark mentioned being aware Lindsey was on the internet. He generally & repeatedly came off disliking Lindsey &/or the family.​

snipped
page here:http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3930354#post3930354

Emphasis on 'aware' - not sure how but didn't come off like first hand. (IMO)

Thanks, Gailrene! The post I was looking for is in the last "general" thread, now locked, so I copied it :eek: over here. Thank you, too, JenniferO!

JenniferO posted 7/6/2009 at 03:58pm:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86074&page=6

Straddleline ORV Park webpage
http://www.co.grays-harbor.wa.us/info/ORV/

has a notice that it will be closed today (doesn't say why but we can safely assume it's because they are searching it)

The ORV park is HUGE.
PARK FACILITIES
One mile motocross track with four-wheel drive and off-road course on its infield.
1/8 mile clay flat track
Drag strip
Off –road grand prix, barrels, and obstacle courses
Access to 80,000 acres of ORV, horse, and hiking trails
Spacious, forested campgrounds with both individual and group sites
Restrooms with showers
Concession
3,000 square foot meeting hall
Kid’s riding and play areas
Picnic facilities for small and large groups with covered shelters available for reservation
Recreational game area (equipment available for check out from park office)
On-site caretaker
Covered grandstands

**bolded by me

more info here

BBM

(In my imagination only, this "on-site caretaker" lives in a small furnished cabin, not far from the park office, year round. He's a fixture. Everybody who works there knows him, and probably likes him. He will be familiar with the local kids, some of whom surely spend every minute of their summers in the park, and he probably grew up doing the same with their parents. He'll drive a truck, filled with tools and plants, and he'll have a CB radio tuned to the park office. He will be trusted and dependable, both 'one of the boys', and 'authority', becauses he uses said authority with a light but firm hand. He may be a hunter, and may work for the Parks Service, but not as an official Park Ranger; he is more like the greens-keeper of a golf course. He loves this place. It is his home. He may be married, but if he has children they are grown or gone. He interacts with the public casually and frequently; he is a blue-collar worker, less visible than the campground or track employees. He knows where all the equipment is kept, and he may take care of park vehicles such as mowers and ATVs.)

I'm not sure where all that came from.:waitasec:
Who cares where it came from? Find some more of it! LOL It sounds very accurate to me as a profile fitting the person who would have the job as a full time caretaker.

Emphasis on 'aware' - not sure how but didn't come off like first hand. (IMO)

Ya, I wasn't assuming Mark even had a computer...I was more thinking he knew because people talk...and he listens (even tho he's drunk lol)

Ya, I wasn't assuming Mark even had a computer...I was more thinking he knew because people talk...and he listens (even tho he's drunk lol)
People often develop loose lips when they are around drinking buddies. As the beer flows, the conversations tend to jump from subject to subject with information pouring out. Maybe they never worry about talking in front of Mark because of the credibility issue (if he does drink to excess a lot).

Why are they shifting the base of their investigation to Montesano????

Investigators are shifting the base of their investigation into the Lindsey Baum disappearance from McCleary to Montesano.

Grays Harbor Undersheriff Rick Scott says after two weeks, the command center for the search for the missing 11-year old will be the sheriff's office.

Scott told KXRO the shift should not be taken as a sign of giving up. Investigators are still hoping some clue may be discovered that will lead to Lindsey.

Article:
http://www.seattlepi.com/local/6420a...eary_girl.html

This, from an article dated 7/9/09 that Angel Who Cares posted.

About a dozen investigators, split between the Sheriff’s Office and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, will continue pursuing specific leads.

“We’ve got a few things that were called in overnight,” Scott said.

Authorities will check and re-search abandoned houses and farms outside of town today, he said. Volunteers already searched some sites, but officers want to make a more thorough sweep of nearby properties and spread out to some that are farther afield.

http://www.thedailyworld.com/article...1136422070.txt

Thank you Angel Who Cares!

Undersheriff Rick Scott says after two weeks, the command center for the search for the missing 11-year old will be the Sheriff's office in Montesano, which he says is better equipped to handle the search at this time.

http://www.kxro.com/Article.asp?id=1389133&spid= BBM

It happens in many cases and I don't think it is a bad thing at all. Logistics, finances, and other factors play into moving a command center. They also mentioned pulling out due to the festival this weekend to allow more space for the vendors and people coming into McCleary. They said it would not stop them from having many officers present to talk to people during the festival.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro