WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Equivalent to "doing donuts" with a vehicle in the Midwest... lol

LOL! Now you're speaking my language!!

ETA: I, too, looked it up in the dictionary, it appears the meaning could be "doing donuts" or skidding.

From dictionary.com
3. a severe vehicular skid.
4. a sharp reversal in a vehicle's direction by sudden application of the brakes and wrenching of the steering wheel.

That's just one of those things you hear that makes you grab your forehead in disbelief, sigh, shake your head while looking at the ground, and quietly mumble something about "people in this world really cannot be THAT dumb can they?"

Seriously, I think it takes a special type of special to think that posting images from an active crime scene on Facebook is a good thing.

Yeah, it is pretty clear any calm collected nature the police had yesterday making us all think they had zeroed in on someone has just been replaced with more evidence that they indeed do not have a line on anyone.

I drove by Crescent Bar this morning, more cars than usual on the highway it seemed between Wenatchee and Quincy, and, more cars than normal going into Crecent Bar. The whole road has an eerie feeling now. Sad thing is there was a local hitching for a ride at the Palisades turn off and while last month he probably would have gotten a ride pretty quick, today I'm doubting that was the case.

http://www.kirotv.com/video/22568748/index.html

video about lookyloos at the crime scene posting pictures of Facebook the day the body was discovered.

It took me FOREVER to read thru the whole forum. But I wanted to point out a few things.

Someone asked if she could have floated down river and ended up at Crescent Bar. As a frequent visitor of Crescent Bar, I know that this is highly improbable. There is a dam about 10 minutes outside of Wenatchee.

Plus, up river (from Crescent Bar) there are multiple areas where eddys form and whatnot. If she did float down river, she'd have to get thru the dam and then a long way down river to end up at CB. To give you perspective on the distance...a boat traveling at top speed would take nearly 30 minutes to go from Crescent Bar to the dam.

Another thing...someone mentioned the orchards. These orchards are not as big as one would think. Heavy development has occurred over the past few years and so the orchard area is fairly small. In addition, workers at the orchard are seasonal and there is no work during the off-season.

One more thing. People have wondered why it took so long for someone to notice something as amiss on the property Mackenzie was found on. The reason is that the property is recessed down from the road. Not only is it a good distance from the road, but it's also down at water level. The road going past is very windy and somewhat steep so most drivers are concerned about keeping their car on the road and watching for pedestrians than they are for activity at a vacant house.

Hope this helps!
Seattle

The Wenatchee World
Thursday, February 18, 2010

Cops hope for help from video

Investigators have released video footage of the last known sighting of homicide victim Mackenzie Cowell in a Wenatchee-owned parking lot in the hope that someone saw the teenager or her red 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix.

“It is our hope that the release of this video footage will assist in generating additional tips from the public regarding the circumstances surrounding her disappearance and subsequent murder,” said investigation task force spokesman Doug Jones in a press release.

The video, shot about 3 p.m. Feb. 9 from a stationary camera in the parking lot, shows Cowell walking to her car, then driving south in the parking lot. Investigators have said they also have video footage, not released by the task force investigating her death, that shows her car heading west up Kittitas Street.

The city lot is behind the Academy of Hair Design, 208 S. Wenatchee Ave., where Cowell was a student. The 17-year-old also was a senior at Wenatchee High School. Her parents are Wendy Cowell of Wenatchee and Reid Cowell of Orondo.

Authorities are not releasing results from a Tuesday autopsy to the public. Steve Clem, Douglas County prosecutor and coroner, said Tuesday evening, “At this point, I want to keep that information inside law enforcement.”- snipped

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/feb/18/cops-hope-for-help-from-video-parking-lot-images/

http://www.kirotv.com/video/22568748/index.html

video about lookyloos at the crime scene posting pictures of Facebook the day the body was discovered.
The reporter in that video says that LE is "treating the area where the body was found as the primary crime scene until they learn otherwise". Doesn't that contradict the earlier report of there being evidence of the murder happening inside the vacant house where her car was found?

am I going crazy or do I hear a female voice 31 seconds into the video??? At first it sounded like "mackenzie" but also sounds to me something like "don't take it"... Is anyone else hearing this voice???

I work with technology and security cameras / closed circuit monitoring systems are notorious for being somewhat difficult to copy. Long story short, the video posted is actually a video of the monitor.

So, someone took a camera, aimed it at the original TV screen and recorded what was playing. This is why the video is shaky. It also explains the sound in the background. Obviously, when they were filming the feed, they were not in an area that was complete devoid of outside noise.

Hope that make sense.
Seattle

The Wenatchee World
Thursday, February 18, 2010

Cops hope for help from video

Investigators have released video footage of the last known sighting of homicide victim Mackenzie Cowell in a Wenatchee-owned parking lot in the hope that someone saw the teenager or her red 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix.

“It is our hope that the release of this video footage will assist in generating additional tips from the public regarding the circumstances surrounding her disappearance and subsequent murder,” said investigation task force spokesman Doug Jones in a press release.

The video, shot about 3 p.m. Feb. 9 from a stationary camera in the parking lot, shows Cowell walking to her car, then driving south in the parking lot. Investigators have said they also have video footage, not released by the task force investigating her death, that shows her car heading west up Kittitas Street.

The city lot is behind the Academy of Hair Design, 208 S. Wenatchee Ave., where Cowell was a student. The 17-year-old also was a senior at Wenatchee High School. Her parents are Wendy Cowell of Wenatchee and Reid Cowell of Orondo.

Authorities are not releasing results from a Tuesday autopsy to the public. Steve Clem, Douglas County prosecutor and coroner, said Tuesday evening, “At this point, I want to keep that information inside law enforcement.”- snipped

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/feb/18/cops-hope-for-help-from-video-parking-lot-images/

I can't imagine what tips could be generated from this, maybe they just released it to appease the public a bit. But then, a tip's a tip.

Did you see the Wenworld ran a pic of where the car was left? I was right that it's in the pull out with the keep out signs and outbuildings and junk. It's precisely where the road turns from pavement to dirt. There are no houses near this pullout, so it isn't really a driveway proper. That explains why the owners let it ride for a while.

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/photos/2010/feb/18/54676/

One more thing. People have wondered why it took so long for someone to notice something as amiss on the property Mackenzie was found on. The reason is that the property is recessed down from the road. Not only is it a good distance from the road, but it's also down at water level. The road going past is very windy and somewhat steep so most drivers are concerned about keeping their car on the road and watching for pedestrians than they are for activity at a vacant house.

Hope this helps!
Seattle
welcome to websleuths (respectfully snipped and bolded by me)

This is exactly why I think the perp had to know of the property.... (re: what you said about the property being recessed from the road and the road being windy, etc)

The other part I bolded... about it taking so long to find something amiss on the property... I actually think, in light of the characteristics of the property and the fact that this is low season, that she was found very quickly. I wonder who made the discovery of her remains and in what capacity they were on the beach that day

I believe they're referring to the entire property as the crime scene.

The reporter in that video says that LE is "treating the area where the body was found as the primary crime scene until they learn otherwise". Doesn't that contradict the earlier report of there being evidence of the murder happening inside the vacant house where her car was found?

welcome to websleuths (respectfully snipped and bolded by me)

This is exactly why I think the perp had to know of the property.... (re: what you said about the property being recessed from the road and the road being windy, etc)

The other part I bolded... about it taking so long to find something amiss on the property... I actually think, in light of the characteristics of the property and the fact that this is low season, that she was found very quickly. I wonder who made the discovery of her remains and in what capacity they were on the beach that day

I 100% agree with you on this one. Which, makes me very wary of what's going on in Crescent Bar. I have a lot of connections with that community and it's scary to think that someone connected to CB is involved.

I work with technology and security cameras / closed circuit monitoring systems are notorious for being somewhat difficult to copy. Long story short, the video posted is actually a video of the monitor.

So, someone took a camera, aimed it at the original TV screen and recorded what was playing. This is why the video is shaky. It also explains the sound in the background. Obviously, when they were filming the feed, they were not in an area that was complete devoid of outside noise.

Hope that make sense.
Seattle

The link to the video from the Wenatchee World is much clearer, here is a direct link:

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/videos/2010/feb/18/322/

Ive been going back and forth here, Ive noticed everyone has kinda dropped off the topic that JO could be somewhat of a suspect. Ive taken everyone of this kids poems printed them broken them down. It disturbs me, from what it looks like his poems talk about what he did, and why he did it all the way down to he was a racist kid, who wanted revenge cause she was dating a hispanic man. He even states in a poem Jokes on him... Its discusting. Ive been obsessed with this since i found this website, that kids poems. I want this kid caught and i want everyone to feel safe walking the streets again.

To be honest, there are too many mixed signals from the authorities. One minute I feel like they have someone of interest the next they seem totally lost. I get information from my daughter, she is in Mackenzie’s age group, and it sometime confirms what the authorities are saying and sometimes it contradicts. This is not the web-hearsay site; I have not shared that information and will not share that information.

I am real new to this forum so bear with me.

Seeing the FBI leave was to be expected. There are two possible reasons, they no longer have jurisdiction, (It is no longer an ongoing abduction/kidnapping and as far as I know, no part of this case has crossed the state boarder) or the FBI thinks that local and state law enforcement have enough information and the case will be solved.

The State Patrol has to stay involved. If they pull out then we have to worry. Douglas County has a pore history of investigation and prosecution. I will not go into detail, but sometimes cases are handled differently depending on who you are. I am not saying that this would have happened in this case but let’s just say. I am glad that they called the State Patrol in early.

I believe that there is a slim chance that some random psycho did this. It would not surprise me if it turned out this way; however, there is a ring or local and emotion involved in this case. It just seems like she knew who did this, or at least knew of them.

Has anyone on this site ever tried to profile a suspect? (I know dumb question)

I have family that still lives in the Leavenworth area. Rumors are flying and some are similar to what has been posted. One of the rumors is that the person that saw the "brodies" on the lawn told another resident of Crescent Bar that morning. The second person's curiousity got the better of them so later that day/noon they decided to check out around the house to see what was going on. This person is supposedly the one that found the body. My experience from living in a small town or community is that other people will keep a look out for anything suspicious. If they have people trespassing, stealing, vandalizing or partying they want to get them out of there as soon as possible so they don't cause trouble for them. So it would not be unusual for someone to check out a vacant house.

To be honest, there are too many mixed signals from the authorities. One minute I feel like they have someone of interest the next they seem totally lost. I get information from my daughter, she is in Mackenzie’s age group, and it sometime confirms what the authorities are saying and sometimes it contradicts. This is not the web-hearsay site; I have not shared that information and will not share that information.

I am real new to this forum so bear with me.

Seeing the FBI leave was to be expected. There are two possible reasons, they no longer have jurisdiction, (It is no longer an ongoing abduction/kidnapping and as far as I know, no part of this case has crossed the state boarder) or the FBI thinks that local and state law enforcement have enough information and the case will be solved.

The State Patrol has to stay involved. If they pull out then we have to worry. Douglas County has a pore history of investigation and prosecution. I will not go into detail, but sometimes cases are handled differently depending on who you are. I am not saying that this would have happened in this case but let’s just say. I am glad that they called the State Patrol in early.

I believe that there is a slim chance that some random psycho did this. It would not surprise me if it turned out this way; however, there is a ring or local and emotion involved in this case. It just seems like she knew who did this, or at least knew of them.

Has anyone on this site ever tried to profile a suspect? (I know dumb question)

I think this might explain why the FBI is pulling out. If they are just waiting for a wrap-up on forensics it would make sense.

RE profiling, yes there are some good minds here that think in that direction. If what I am hearing about the way she was killed is true it would make sense that it was someone known to her, perhaps even someone who "loved" her. It would involve very little gore and he wouldn't have to see her face while performing the act. Sorry to speak so obliquely but I don't want to repeat the rumor. It's out there and I'm sure many know what I'm talking about.

Ive been going back and forth here, Ive noticed everyone has kinda dropped off the topic that JO could be somewhat of a suspect. Ive taken everyone of this kids poems printed them broken them down. It disturbs me, from what it looks like his poems talk about what he did, and why he did it all the way down to he was a racist kid, who wanted revenge cause she was dating a hispanic man. He even states in a poem Jokes on him... Its discusting. Ive been obsessed with this since i found this website, that kids poems. I want this kid caught and i want everyone to feel safe walking the streets again.

I don't think any of us have discounted the possibility, I know I haven't. The problem is we don't have any certain confirmation that he was her BF. Regardless, the police are aware of him. Did you see his newest piece?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
broccoli445