WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, girl! It was mentioned about the boyfried being 17 in several articles that I've read. Here is one:

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/feb/10/deputies-search-pitcher-canyon-area-for-missing/

Cowell’s 17-year-old boyfriend, who arrived on the scene with Cowell’s parents Tuesday night, said he and the girl had exchanged text messages around 4 p.m. that day, Moore said.

It does seem rather unusual to me that the b/f's name has not been publicized yet. That is definitely not the norm, from what I've previously seen in similar cases.

This also makes me go hmmmmm...

"As Wenatchee High School students walked to class this morning, extra parents, security officers and school staff roamed the hallways with them, looking for anyone who might need support."

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/feb/16/cowells-classmates-grieve-a-lost-friend/

I can see counselors. I can see a few parents. Extra security? Why, unless it was thought that someone inside the school was involved?

Hi, girl! It was mentioned about the boyfried being 17 in several articles that I've read. Here is one:

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/feb/10/deputies-search-pitcher-canyon-area-for-missing/

It does seem rather unusual to me that the b/f's name has not been publicized yet. That is definitely not the norm, from what I've previously seen in similar cases.

Well, then unless that is a terrible error by the local media, then they can't be talking about JV. Thanks for finding that, I so need to bookmark all these sources when I find them!

Well, then unless that is a terrible error by the local media, then they can't be talking about JV. Thanks for finding that, I so need to bookmark all these sources when I find them!

I usually just google. ;)

I guess there's always the possibility that she may've had an 'older' b/f that for whatever reason, didn't want to reveal his real age to her parents? Now, just to clarify, that was pure speculation and mind-wandering on my part.

I sure wish someone would just release his name. Yet, I truly don't blame him (or anyone) for not wanting their name to be out there; under every "Tom, Dick and Harry's" scrutiny, either.

One of Mac's friends posted on her FB profile that she was found "washed up" in the river.

I don't know how much truth is to this, but it could explain why it took a few days to find her body and also why her feet were in the water. Would the perp really just put her feet in the water? Seems weird.

Obviously the autopsy will tell if she's been in the water for 4 days and not just placed on the riverbank.

Even though the tire marks were found on Saturday and hadn't been seen before seems like a strange coincidence, maybe if it's looked at from the point of view that because the tracks were seen, that's why people were more observant?

Who found her body? It seems that if someone goes down there then other people might, too.

Just thinking out loud...

Could her current b/f be 17, and her former b/f be the poet? That would explain the inconsistencies, wouldn't it?

And if the breakup was bad between the poet and Mackenzie...well...ex's do some vile things...

Just something that crossed what passes for my mind at 5:30 am...

~Herding cats

No, we still don't know through any media sources.

However, JV is 21 according to his M.S. and according to his school records which can be Googled. I also found out through a definitive source today that he lives in Orondo. The WenWorld reported that her BF lives in Wenatchee and she spent a lot of time at his home. Some of the towns here are close by, but Orondo is on the East Wenatchee side of the river, so I can't really see that as being a typo.

Liz, I thought I remembered her BF being reported as 17 as well but now can't find it. Sigh.

About the poetry edits, that line has now been edited I believe 4 times. At first it was "scare you out of your socks".

BBM: And I know it's a stretch, but that line is what first really caught my attention- given that M was found with her feet in the water... I can't remember if anyone definitively said she didn't have shoes on or not. ("Feet" could certainly mean with or without shoes). This line just caught my attention- and each time he edits it seems to get weirder! JMO

This also makes me go hmmmmm...

"As Wenatchee High School students walked to class this morning, extra parents, security officers and school staff roamed the hallways with them, looking for anyone who might need support."

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/feb/16/cowells-classmates-grieve-a-lost-friend/

I can see counselors. I can see a few parents. Extra security? Why, unless it was thought that someone inside the school was involved?

Hi girl- I can see why that would bring questions-- as a school counselor, I can say that when we've had situations like this at our school (sadly), we use all adults we can get to keep eyes on kids... counselors are usually in sessions with kids or staff, or manning a "safe room" for people to come to who are distraught- security and admin usually sweep the halls to bring people who are upset to the counselors. (The kids will frequently cluster by themselves in groups at first rather than come to where the counselors can hear them or talk to them) In our situation, the kids know our security folks b/c they see them everyday, so they are more likely to let them bring them to talk rather than someone they don't know. Just more helpers who aren't necessarily doing counseling themselves...

BUT- that doesn't mean that they aren't watching out for something else as well! I don't know how many security they typically have at their school (we have 5 and 2 police officers), so added security would certainly tweak my antennae as well!!

One of Mac's friends posted on her FB profile that she was found "washed up" in the river.

I don't know how much truth is to this, but it could explain why it took a few days to find her body and also why her feet were in the water. Would the perp really just put her feet in the water? Seems weird.

Obviously the autopsy will tell if she's been in the water for 4 days and not just placed on the riverbank.

Even though the tire marks were found on Saturday and hadn't been seen before seems like a strange coincidence, maybe if it's looked at from the point of view that because the tracks were seen, that's why people were more observant?

Who found her body? It seems that if someone goes down there then other people might, too.

Just to clarify- she couldn't have parked her car where it was found and then walked to the river and jumped in, and then her body end up where it was found, right? Sorry, I'm very directionally challenged! Some absolutely excellent information about the geographics of the area has been posted, but I can't figure this out on my own :waitasec:

Found this youtube video, which has some nice shots of the property upon which Mackenzie was found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfiZXXbiy4U

Good job to you sleuthers that located it before it was even posted anywhere! You were spot on! It is truly a gorgeous piece of property with an even more spectacular view. Still very sad though.

BBM: And I know it's a stretch, but that line is what first really caught my attention- given that M was found with her feet in the water... I can't remember if anyone definitively said she didn't have shoes on or not. ("Feet" could certainly mean with or without shoes). This line just caught my attention- and each time he edits it seems to get weirder! JMO

That's a great point you made about the "scaring you out of your socks" line, Annie! (Kinda gave me chills!)

Snipped from Autopsy confirms identity
Posted on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 @ 06:59:15 MST by KPQNewsroom

The autopsy confirmed the identity of the body as 17 year old Mackenzie Cowell reported missing since February 9th, 2010 from Wenatchee. Her death has been ruled a homicide based on findings from the autopsy, however, specifies regarding the cause of death will not be released at this time due to the ongoing investigation.

http://www.kpq.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1839

I had a feeling that the COD was not going to be released! Frustrating but I'm sure their reasons are best for the investigation.

Annie, in response to your question above - upon finding Mackenzie's body, LE pretty much immediately called it a homicide. Apparently there was some type of visual evidence that she was murdered.

Yes, it was a homicide in their professional opinion, but that is not the "official" COD.

ETA: - such as bullet wound, strangulation, blunt force trauma...etc.

Snipped from Autopsy confirms identity
Posted on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 @ 06:59:15 MST by KPQNewsroom

The autopsy confirmed the identity of the body as 17 year old Mackenzie Cowell reported missing since February 9th, 2010 from Wenatchee. Her death has been ruled a homicide based on findings from the autopsy, however, specifies regarding the cause of death will not be released at this time due to the ongoing investigation.

http://www.kpq.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1839

I had a feeling that the COD was not going to be released! Frustrating but I'm sure their reasons are best for the investigation.

I don't usually quote my own posts, but thought I'd bump it up for the benefit of people who do read back to the previous page. Afterall, many of us have been awaiting for the COD to be released today, since we were already pretty certain that it was Mackenzie; and that it was a homicide. However, the COD is not being released at this time.

Yeah, there are somethings coming to light which make this whole situation more interesting. Why did it take an hour for the resident to report a vehicle in the entry way to their cattle pasture?

Where was MC between school and discovery.

Actually - this makes sense to me. In my mind, a person would not just call LE if they saw a car out of place. They would wait to see if someone came to get the car. Even if the car was blocking their access or something, I, personally, would probably get out of my car, look around, hang out for a bit if I couldn't get around the car, etc. before I called the car in. One hour, to me, sounds exactly right.

From what others have said, the property is posted with "no trespassing" signs. The property is owned by a family of ranchers. I don't know how many houses are up there. But, if the car was spotted and the spotter waited a bit (15 minutesish), called some of the other residents to see if they had a visitor, found they didn't, and still no one came back to the car while the spotter was waiting/calling around, then calling the police would be the next logical step.

To me, this is how most reasonable people would act. I was initially surprised that the car was called in so quickly, until the property situation/ ownership of the property was pointed out. But this makes perfect sense to me, so.... my hinky meter has leveled on this particular point.

Salem

I agree Salem. My thought was that they may have seen the car, ran into town maybe for dinner. Returned and saw it was still there, then called LE to report. All very reasonable in terms of time frame.

I think LE has checked the car thoroughly and found either soil or grass underneath on the bottom part or underneath the car that would indicate whether it had been at the Crescent Bar site before it was abandoned in Pitcher Canyon. IMO, from growing up in this area, this would have to be someone local to know these two sites enough to get around without being suspicious. I am wondering if LE has checked the gas stations in the area for any video of her vehicle anytime that day. A lot of time the stations have cameras for drive aways or in case they are held up. As I was getting gas today I realized that the only thing I took out of my vehicle was my debit card and cell phone, which may be what McKenzie would have done and why her debit card or gas card were not found in her purse. In Washington state you pump your own gas, so someone could have gotten into her vehicle then. Also, if someone drove her car out to Crescent Bar and then back to Pitcher Canyon they would have used some gas and may have had to stop and get more, depending on when McKenzie last put gas in her car and how much.

You raise some very good points here, that I don't think we have discussed yet.

The gas station is of particular interest. We know Mackenzie left the beauty school and it has been reported that she was alone and/or that she met someone. But I do believe there is at least one article that says they have video of Mackenzie driving away from the school and she was alone (I'll look for links in just a bit here). So.... did she have to get gas? Was she really headed back to practice with the high school dance team, as the beauty school director speculated? Where is the high school located?

In the comments section of an article, someone reported that LE/FBI were actively requesting video tapes from businesses. So Le is looking at this.

How big is the gas tank on Mackenzie's car? Maybe 12 gallons? At 20 miles to the gallon, the car could go approximately 240 miles before needing gas again. When was the last time she filled up? It has been reported that she spends time at her mom's, dad's, boyfriend's, school and the beauty school, in two different towns.

I think we have a map a few pages back that shows the approx. path that was taken that day? I'll go look to see how many miles we are talking.

Salem

The reports have stated that her debit card was not in her purse or car. They have not stated that it was not used. They also have not stated that it was found on her body. Many times in investigations it will be stated that there was no activity on debit cards. They may have some leads regarding this, just not talking. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne