WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Dogdad, Circumstantial evidence includes the whole gamit of forensics, electronics including pings & recordings, charts on water levels, ID of foliage, fungus growth, bug info, heat affecting decomp, etc and to name a few, all of which cover a wide area.

Real evidence is only testimony by a witness if I am correct.

From Wikipedia:

Real evidence is a type of physical evidence and consists of objects that were involved in a case or actually played a part in the incident or transaction in question.

[edit] Examples
Examples include the written contract, the defective part or defective product, the murder weapon, the gloves used by an alleged murderer.

Trace evidence, such as fingerprints and firearm residue, is also a type of real evidence. Real evidence is usually reported upon by an expert witness with appropriate qualifications to give an opinion.

You probably already knew this, Scandi. I'm posting it for the benefit of the rest of us. :cool:

is this case going anywhere? do you think it will be solved soon

Hey pepsi! :)
There is just no way to know.
We can only pray!

From Wikipedia:

Real evidence is a type of physical evidence and consists of objects that were involved in a case or actually played a part in the incident or transaction in question.

[edit] Examples
Examples include the written contract, the defective part or defective product, the murder weapon, the gloves used by an alleged murderer.

Trace evidence, such as fingerprints and firearm residue, is also a type of real evidence. Real evidence is usually reported upon by an expert witness with appropriate qualifications to give an opinion.

You probably already knew this, Scandi. I'm posting it for the benefit of the rest of us. :cool:

Thanks Liz, My bad :croc: lol It has been so long since I thought about that, but 'real' evidence was the wrong word for me to use. It should have been 'direct': http://peacesecurity.suite101.com/article.cfm/circumstantial_evidence_in_an_american_trial

Snipped " . . Direct Evidence

Direct evidence is the simplest form of evidence to understand. Direct evidence is evidence of a fact based on a witness's personal knowledge or observation of that fact. If the witness actually saw the defendant stab the victim that is direct evidence; the stabbing is within the witness’s actual experience. Whether the fact finder believes the witness is a different issue regarding credibility, but does not change the nature of the testimony as direct evidence.

Direct evidence has traditionally been described as witness testimony. In the modern age photographs, video and audio recordings are also direct evidence. The recorded presentation of an event can establish directly that the event took place.

Circumstantial Evidence

Circumstantial evidence is more complex. A witness did not see the stabbing above. The witness did see the defendant go into the house carrying a knife. The witness heard a scream inside the house and saw the defendant run out, not carrying the knife. The victim is later found inside with a knife in her back. A reasonable inference is that the defendant stabbed the victim. Whether that fact is true will determine if the defendant is guilty".

Snipped

"Forensic evidence examines physical items to provide inferences of other facts and to recreate events. In traffic accident cases tire skid marks may be examined to determine a car’s direction and speed prior to a crash. Fingerprints at a scene indicate that a particular person was present. All these types of evidence, presented by expert investigators, are kinds of circumstantial evidence since each infers an event that was not observed by the witness.

So the 2 kinds of evidence used in trials I have studied are Circumstantial and direct. I was wrong about electrical, phone, etc evidence as it is direct.

Thanks though Liz, as I guess I was ready for a big review on that. :innocent:

is this case going anywhere? do you think it will be solved soon

yes, very soon....

:detective::cop:::HBwhiteflag::gavel::smiliescale::behindbar:applause::boohoo::balloons::wave:

(The above is a picture story.)

yes, very soon....

:detective::cop:::HBwhiteflag::gavel::smiliescale::behindbar:applause::boohoo::balloons::wave:

(The above is a picture story.)

Very good story, Nancee! :clap:

Del Rio's picture from Feb 24th,(11 days after MC's body was found), at about 4 pm is attached below.

I believe this picture represents a slightly higher water level, just over 568 feet, (data from attachment 2), compared to the 12:45 pm water level on Saturday when MC's body was discovered, slightly below 568 feet, (data from attachment 3). This puts a body with feet in the reservoir water out there far enough it looks like it could even be seen from the roadway, (notice the guardrail in Del Rio's picture.)

You thought we were through? Nope, now it gets interesting.

The most interesting thing about this picture is you can see the water level had recently been a little higher, (maybe half a foot?). Boring you say? Just wait for it.

This higher water level cannot be explained by the Wanapum Dam elevation measurements, (they were below 568 feet and generally going up in the hours before this picture was taken). But the recent higher water shown in the picture can be explained by the small "surge" caused by the 1 to 3 pm generator use at Rock Island Dam, (noted on graph in attachment #2). And yes, that was a small "surge", (increase of 3 feet in a two hour period). Just look at after Del Rio took this picture to see a large "surge", (Rock Island levels go up 3 feet in 1 hour at 7 pm and continue up another foot and half the next hour).

So, what's this mean? I'm not that far ahead, so heck if I know? But if we've got a picture of what this small "surge" did at the Crescent Bar shoreline on Feb. 23rd, we should be able to compare it to water levels from the day MC's body was found and possibly get a picture of what any "surges" would have done to a body whose feet were in the reservoir water, (attachment #3 is from the day body was found and points out where water would have been surrounding body if it was located with feet in the reservoir).

If you don't want to attempt to figure out the graph, the short version is: 6 to 8 inches of water might have been around the body if the feet were in the reservoir as recent as 1 hour and 15 minutes before it was discovered.

Flyonthewall, I think you were correct about the "surge" wave coming from Rock Island Dam and my first assessment of the potential for a "surge" wave from just generator use was incorrect. Wouldn't have been able to know this without the picture. Plus, I believe because the property is located on the outside of the river bend, this bay where the body was found is effected even more by those "surges".

AutumnRose or Del Rio, if you can get me another picture when the water level is on it's way down, noting the EXACT time, I might be able to get a better picture of what the "surge" waves could have done to the body during the time frame MC was missing.

Attachments

• Feb. 24th.4pm.CB 066.jpg
    Feb. 24th.4pm.CB 066.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Feb.24th.water levels.jpg
    Feb.24th.water levels.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Feb.13.bodyfound.water.levels.jpg
    Feb.13.bodyfound.water.levels.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 15
Del Rio's picture from Feb 24th,(11 days after MC's body was found), at about 4 pm is attached below.

I believe this picture represents a slightly higher water level, just over 568 feet, (data from attachment 2), compared to the 12:45 pm water level on Saturday when MC's body was discovered, slightly below 568 feet, (data from attachment 3). This puts a body with feet in the reservoir water out there far enough it looks like it could even be seen from the roadway, (notice the guardrail in Del Rio's picture.)

The most interesting thing about this picture is you can see the water level had recently been a little higher, (maybe half a foot?). Boring you say? Just wait for it.

This higher water level cannot be explained by the Wanapum Dam elevation measurements, (they were below 568 feet and generally going up in the hours before this picture was taken). But the recent higher water shown in the picture can be explained by the small "surge" caused by the 1 to 3 pm generator use at Rock Island Dam, (noted on graph in attachment #2). And yes, that was a small "surge", (increase of 3 feet in a two hour period). Just look at after Del Rio took this picture to see a large "surge", (Rock Island levels go up 3 feet in 1 hour at 7 pm and continue up another foot and half the next hour).

So, what's this mean? I'm not that far ahead, so heck if I know? But if we've got a picture of what this small "surge" did at the Crescent Bar shoreline on Feb. 23rd, we should be able to compare it to water levels from the day MC's body was found and possibly get a picture of what any "surges" would have done to a body whose feet were in the reservoir water, (attachment #3 is from the day body was found and points out where water would have been surrounding body if it was located with feet in the reservoir).

If you don't want to attempt to figure out the graph, the short version is: 6 to 8 inches of water might have been around the body if the feet were in the reservoir as recent as 1 hour and 15 minutes before it was discovered.

Flyonthewall, I think you were correct about the "surge" wave coming from Rock Island Dam and my first assessment of the potential for a "surge" wave from just generator use was incorrect. Wouldn't have been able to know this without the picture. Plus, I believe because the property is located on the outside of the river bend, this bay where the body was found is effected even more by those "surges".

AutumnRose or Del Rio, if you can get me another picture when the water level is on it's way down, noting the EXACT time, I might be able to get a better picture of what the "surge" waves could have done to the body during the time frame MC was missing.

I'll try, but I won't know in advance when the water level is on its way down.

I'll try, but I won't know in advance when the water level is on its way down.

It may take a few tries anyway, as the lowering of the water needs to be shown to be from the extra water released at Rock Island Dam and not just a general lowering of the reservoir.

Actually, one of the pics you posted in the last thread showed signs of a lowering water level. I think I'll look into it's cause... ... ... tomorrow. :sleep:

///snippage///

Let's keep in mind:
  • Body was discovered by passers-by. They call it in.
  • 911 call received @ 12:45 p.m.?
  • LE(s) arrives when? 15 mins, 30 mins, xx mins later?
Alt, you might want to adjust for the time differences?

To what degree was MC surrounded / submerged when LE observed the body as compared to when first observed by passers-by?

Did the body also move with the 'tide' during that period?

Whoa!!
Bob has added some veddy, veddy interesting info in the astro forum:

Forensic Astrology - MACKENZIE COWELL last seen 2/9/10 WA - Page 3 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I'll add ... something I'd long suspected with regards to his post!

I am not a believer in 'cosmic alignment' showing as recorded history or as a 'controlling factor' in human interaction, but I say 'to each his own'.

Isn't that astro thread theory actually a bit late, as compared to what has been discussed in the 'regular' threads? That theory was discussed many threads ago, and more than once; JF was a WS POI for quite some time.

Hi Shortstuff, Would that look like this?
images

With such a small retractable blade it's hard to imagine it not falling away from the body. Just sayin'

yes, I guess so. It doesnt make much sense, maybe just the blade part? IDK
Again, it was just rumor for folks that are just catching up..... I have heard it a couple times- about MC possibly still having SOMETHING (sheetrock knife) in her..I am sorry for the graphic content, and I hope it's just b.s!:furious:

Hi Shortstuff, Would that look like this?
images

With such a small retractable blade it's hard to imagine it not falling away from the body. Just sayin'

yes, I guess so. It doesnt make much sense, maybe just the blade part? IDK
Again, it was just rumor for folks that are just catching up..... I have heard it a couple times- about MC possibly still having SOMETHING (sheetrock knife) in her..I am sorry for the graphic content, and I hope it's just b.s!:furious:

Shortstuff and Scandi -
If you google sheetrock knives, this variation also comes up:

http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/images/SheetrockSaw.jpg

That's one nasty looking sheetrock knife, imo.

Understanding from an astrological point of view is not alot different than sleuthing and often understanding does come in retrospect. Sleuthers enjoy the puzzlement, as do astro's. When its all solved and resolved, we can all sit back and know that we attempted to contribute and help out in our own way.

can someone give me a reminder/hint who JF is? tia

Mackenzie's mom's b/f (or ex-bf) depending on the day, and who you ask, from what I hear. Rumor is their relationship is kind of "on-again, off-again".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MISSINGPERSONSMYSTERIES