WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How long does it take for her to get down to the boat dock from where she was parked? I suppose she could have been anxious to see this person, so she kept dialing the number. Once she approached the boat dock area, she may have seen this person or his (or her) vehicle and quit dialing. If this was someone she had just recently met, this person may have given her a false number knowing he / she was going to commit this crime.

Other things that seem strange to me. . . .

1. She was known as an avid "text" user . . . so why the short message to the boyfriend?

2. Given the fact she was a teen, and known to text a lot, I cannot imagine she would have been meeting someone and her friends did not know. If it was spur of the moment, I'd think phone records would help LE there. If planned, someone should know unless she lacked close friends or was very private.

I have other thoughts / questions, but my brain is fried. More later . . . thanks for reading.

IIRC, it's maybe 5 mins or less to the boat dock..Supposedly the family that claims not to know MC has a son who works with MC's boyfriend but I still like your 'false #' theory ..It is strange the text to boyfriend is so short & this has been discussed numerous xs over the many months now since she was murdered.

The report probably omits the word "manually" because the author simply did not know.

Possibly, but software (triggered by circuitry monitoring battery 'health') that powers off a cell phone due to a low battery condition also is capable of transmitting that condition to a cell tower ... whether or not that feature is implemented is another issue.

Wow M! You have a long way to go to catch up . . . (snipped).

Btw! WELCOME! :)

Thanks! And yes, I do. Right now I'm in Thread #3, starting at the top of page #18. Sigh. So much information to digest, and I'm reading fast and trying to skip over some stuff so I can get to the real information.

Man, a lot of rumors were flying around. And some interesting theories based upon those rumors combined with some known facts.

I hope I can ask this, but the the mother's boyfriend has been ruled out by LE, correct?

I need to re-read that timeline. I sure wish it were updated with "known" facts. As I read the older threads, it seems like an arrest is imminent, but then here we are quite a bit later and nothing. I wonder what went wrong for LE? Being in a downtown area, I would think camera footage could be obtained to trace a route / timeline (at least in that area) for MC as she left work and headed to the boat dock. And even what time she left. Of course, I could be wrong about that.

In the thread I'm reading now, some surmise she had a realtionship with someone that resulted in her death. I'd think LE could access her phone records, and even those of the "accused" (by posters with theories, not by LE, per se) to rule this out (or substantiate it). People don't typically carry on a relationship, public or private, without lots of communication.

OK, I'm rambling again. I'll keep reading and try to sort some of this out. Any input / updates from those "in the know" would be appreciated.

This is from the timeline linked in Post #8 of this thread:

5:42 PM - A cell tower bounces a signal off of MacKenzie's phone. This is the final activity on McKenzie's phone. Location has not been released by investigators.

Is it true that the location has still not been released? I ask because this timeline was from an older thread, and more up-to-date information might have been released. I was under the impression that last known location was the spec home, but I'm probably way off base.

Did any more information get released about the spec home, or was that merely rumor and conjecture?

Milopedes, to my recollection, the location of that last ping has not been made public.

Also, the spec house involvement, based upon reports from neighbors that the house was searched and/or under surveillance.

I believe LE made a statement that the family's homes and properties were not involved, but I'm gonna have to ask someone to provide that link, because I'm on my phone at the moment.

Finally, MC's IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBERS have been cleared in public statements by LE, IIRC. That is, her parents and siblings.

No one else has been "cleared" on the official record, that I can recall.

Sleuthers: Is that your recollection, as well? Can someone provide those links for Milopedes?

Okay, for some reason, the "edit" button is not appearing for me.

Anyway, I wanted to add this to my post, above. (Maybe a mod can do it for me? Or just leave this one. I don't have a preference.)

Milopedes: This is the link that clears the immediate family, and properties owned by the family (which would indicate inclusion of the spec home):

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/may/18/cowell-team-checks-fresh-tip/

I have tried to find out more info about the spec home myself but couldn't. Is it just a theory that she and the perp(s) were there?

This is from the timeline linked in Post #8 of this thread:

5:42 PM - A cell tower bounces a signal off of MacKenzie's phone. This is the final activity on McKenzie's phone. Location has not been released by investigators

Is it true that the location has still not been released? I ask because this timeline was from an older thread, and more up-to-date information might have been released. I was under the impression that last known location was the spec home, but I'm probably way off base.

Did any more information get released about the spec home, or was that merely rumor and conjecture?

That 'final activity' was MC's phone powering off. No indication if it was turned off manually (someone pushed the OFF button), automatically (drained battery) or via obstruction (in water, buried) or destruction (battery removed or phone crushed).

What a sad story. Just awful. Poor lady had no relatives. :(

Odd story.

Blunt force trauma, strangled and slit throat.

The perp wrapped her body in plastic, placed the wrapped body in a sleeping bag and stuffed the package in to the cab of his truck.

The perp claimed he found her as deceased and was on his way to bury her because he knew "she ... or her family" (as explained by a detective) "could not afford it.".

Slightly different MO than what occurred with MC's body.

That 'final activity' was MC's phone powering off. No indication if it was turned off manually (someone pushed the OFF button), automatically (drained battery) or via obstruction (in water, buried) or destruction (battery removed or phone crushed).

Thanks. I understood that part, but was curious if we (i.e., the general public) were privy to the location. Obviously, this could make a big difference.

I often wonder how long it took for LE to obtain cell phone data. It seems to me that it took some time for them to release that she was at the boat dock. If this is the case, they might not have known to pull any surveillance video at local businesses. Some business might not save older footage for several days, let alone a week or more. Important information could have been lost, though not due to anything LE did, but more based upon how long it took to find the body, legally obtain cell phone data, etc. Sad.

Thanks. I understood that part, but was curious if we (i.e., the general public) were privy to the location. Obviously, this could make a big difference.

I often wonder how long it took for LE to obtain cell phone data. It seems to me that it took some time for them to release that she was at the boat dock. If this is the case, they might not have known to pull any surveillance video at local businesses. Some business might not save older footage for several days, let alone a week or more. Important information could have been lost, though not due to anything LE did, but more based upon how long it took to find the body, legally obtain cell phone data, etc. Sad.

It had been revealed that VzW was unable to provide data for a critical 12-hour block ... it was not revealed if that block is in front of or behind other blocks they were able to provide.

I have not seen documentation regarding the 'last activity' location .. but understand, if LE is depending on tower triangulation or cell-face signaling, a location is only approximate and can be 'off-target' by 100's of feet.

GPS, of course, is much more accurate, typically within 30 yards and less but this is only useful while the cell phone is powered on and activated for e911 location or if a communicating-GPS app is running on the cell phone ... AFAIK, LE had no such opportunity with MC's phone.

I'm going to keep reading. Of course, there are a lot of threads on this topic and it does get difficult to sift through all the non-relevant posts.

What is the prevailing "theory" out there right now? I don't mean, what direction is LE looking (because we very likely do not know), but what is the popular theory right now within the WS community? I ask, because in the thread I'm reading now, there are some wild possibilities.

Personally, I don't buy into the gang theory. Seems a bit off, and not really the correct MO. I tend to believe it was someone she knew, but to be honest, that is a wide range of suspects that we know about and could potentially include a number of folks we barely have any information about (i.e., a secret boyfriend, etc.). So, I'm stumped until I read more.

Right now, in Thread #3 the debate rages about her car keys. Were they ever located? Do we know? This is an interesting "catch" IMO by a WS regular. I'd like more details, so I'll keep reading. But in the meantime, if someone knows - please let me know.

Many thanks.

Snipped from Thread #5 / Post #191. . .

What I was told was that the attendant called the LE to report the info. Based on that info, LE has another video that they are not releasing, not sure from where, showing MC in her car with a male passenger. The passenger could not be ID'ed by either the attendant or the video.

I'll keep reading, but do we know whether or not this is true? Or is it just a rumor?

Is the connection to Lowe's real or imagined? In Thread #4 someone mentions several calls made by Mackenzie to Lowe's in the week(s) prior to her murder. I'm sure that LE could obtain a list of employees at the store during that timeframe.

Whew! Thread #5, Post #574. I think I'll never finish.

Thanks to all for patience answering my questions. I'm sure if I simply finished reading everything, my questions would be answered. The problem is I don't have the patience to wait once I think of one, or I'm afraid I'll forget.

Also, I have notice that in the older posts it seemed like there was a lot more traffic in this thread. As of this moment, there is 1 member (me) and 1 guest. Sad. I hope interest hasn't died down.

I still check into Mac's thread every time I visit WS and I see there are new posts. She's one of the girls on my icon and I've followed her case since the beginning. I'm not an active poster any more and I'm not 100% familiar with the small details of the case. I'm around to answer anything I know the answer to and I'll be patient with you while you catch up. I completely understand about forgetting the questions... I've done it a million times. I wish there was more for me to post about right now, but unfortunately there just isn't. Still praying for Mac every day.

Is the connection to Lowe's real or imagined? In Thread #4 someone mentions several calls made by Mackenzie to Lowe's in the week(s) prior to her murder. I'm sure that LE could obtain a list of employees at the store during that timeframe.

JMO: There was a rumor that LE went to a retail outlet in the valley looking for clues. At the time one of the more popular theories surrounded someone who was in construction; however, since LE released the info about the knife, I believe the real connection was Stan's and not Lowe's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toomanywomenmissinginbc