WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Defense: DNA doesn’t specifically ID Wilson in Cowell murder

WENATCHEE — The DNA used to link murder suspect Christopher Scott Wilson to the killing of Mackenzie Cowell could match more than 90,000 males in the United States “and dozens right here in North Central Washington,” Wilson’s defense attorney said Thursday.

Public Defender Keith Howard said the Y-STR test method, which compared DNA from duct tape found near Cowell’s body with a swab given by Wilson, does not identify suspects with 100 percent accuracy.

“The problem here is the testing they did wasn’t specific,” Howard said.
“... It only shows the male parental line.”

~snipped~

“The Y chromosome is directly inherited from father to son,” Heath wrote in an e-mail. “Therefore, all men in the same paternal line will have the same Y-STR profile. As a result of this, the statistics for Y-STR testing are not nearly as strong as those for regular DNA testing.”

BBM

Full article at link:
http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/oct/29/defense-lawyer-dna-evidence-doesnt-specifically/

Something to note:

During the October 7, 2010 press confernce, Captain Doug Jones responded to a question regarding a witness statement that reported CW as having claimed to the witness that he "killed somebody" [previous to the Cowell murder]:

"It's something we looked in to and had not found any unsolved murders in that particular area...[Elmsburgh]...".

Might this be an indication that one (or more?) of those murders was solved to an incorrect conclusion and that might have resulted in imprisonment of one or more innocent persons?

Just a thought.

Below is quoted text with some phrases b/ubm, from a YouTube post (video linked below the quote and my commentary) that previously had purported to show the "last picture taken [implied: while alive]" of MC.

The poster has updated the associated text a few times during the past few months and most recently with the realization of an arrest in the case:

What I find odd are the phrases I bolded in the quote, above. I have not heard nor read of those particular details. The poster is being very specific.

Can anyone confirm that information is accurate and that it was reported to the public?

** Obsessed with her? I've not read that specifically but it could be inferred given witness statements and context. Acceptable.

** Lured? That implies a near-zero to only minimal trust existed between MC and CW if he had to lure her. According to what I've read, that seems reasonable.

** It's obvious CW would want to be rid of MC's vehicle if she had driven to and parked it near CW's apartment ... and be rid of it quickly.

Perhaps with no unobservable method nor time to move MC's body to her own vehicle during late afternoon or early evening hours before driving it to PC, CW would be forced to wait until the cover of the dark of night to use his own vehicle to move her body elsewhere.

According to what has been reported about the timeline that, too, seems reasonable.

And then we have ...

** "Sometime later he returned to her body..."?

The poster is claiming CW returned to her body sometime after he had placed her at the river's edge.

How and why does the poster know of such detail? I'm not implying ... I'm only inquiring ... :angel:

One item of note in the video: the last picture is of MC using her cell phone to snap a picture of herself in what appears to be a (her) bathroom mirror.

What other self-snapped pictures did MC store on her cell phone that might entice an obsessive observer?

Is that why the murderer (and / or whomever else) stole and perhaps kept and / or downloaded pictures from MC's cell phone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZb3IC9mPTA

Attachments

Below is quoted text with some phrases b/ubm, from a YouTube post (video linked below the quote and my commentary) that previously had purported to show the "last picture taken [implied: while alive]" of MC.

The poster has updated the associated text a few times during the past few months and most recently with the realization of an arrest in the case:

What I find odd are the phrases I bolded in the quote, above. I have not heard nor read of those particular details. The poster is being very specific.

Can anyone confirm that information is accurate and that it was reported to the public?

** Obsessed with her? I've not read that specifically but it could be inferred given witness statements and context. Acceptable.

** Lured? That implies a near-zero to only minimal trust existed between MC and CW if he had to lure her. According to what I've read, that seems reasonable.

** It's obvious CW would want to be rid of MC's vehicle if she had driven to and parked it near CW's apartment ... and be rid of it quickly.

Perhaps with no unobservable method nor time to move MC's body to her own vehicle during late afternoon or early evening hours before driving it to PC, CW would be forced to wait until the cover of the dark of night to use his own vehicle to move her body elsewhere.

According to what has been reported about the timeline that, too, seems reasonable.

And then we have ...

** "Sometime later he returned to her body..."?

The poster is claiming CW returned to her body sometime after he had placed her at the river's edge.

How and why does the poster know of such detail? I'm not implying ... I'm only inquiring ... :angel:

One item of note in the video: the last picture is of MC using her cell phone to snap a picture of herself in what appears to be a (her) bathroom mirror.

What other self-snapped pictures did MC store on her cell phone that might entice an obsessive observer?

Is that why the murderer (and / or whomever else) stole and perhaps kept and / or downloaded pictures from MC's cell phone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZb3IC9mPTA

It's youtube. People can post any old scenario they feel like, whether there is basis in fact or not. Appears to merely be their supposition as to what happened. I personally give it no more weight than any other "guess" at what when down without solid evidence to back it up being released by LE. Reads to me like steeped in rumors.

RE: the obsession, it was mentioned in the affivadit to media (posted upthread) that ONE person from the Academy stated to LE that CW said that Mac was "hot." Whether that qualifies as "obsession?" Only person who really knew what was going on in CW's head was CW unless there was clear acting out on his part prior to the murder, and nobody has yet produced such evidence.

Reasonable guess he moved the car based on 3 people claiming they saw somebody matching his description walking back from Pitcher Canyon twixt 1630 and 1730 the day she disappeared. Not proof without his DNA in the car at the very least, and if LE has that back yet, we haven't heard about it.

That is also mentioned in that affidavit to media.

Simplest reason to get rid of a cell phone is to remove traceability. And because the last known text or call to her cell was from her boyfriend (an unanswered text from her BF, per the Affivadit for Search Warrant on her car) which is also posted upthread.

No active phone, no people to "maybe" immediately come running for her (how would the killer know for sure if her BF or parents might be looking for her because she suddenly wasn't answering them?). If she had any cell contact with CW (not shown in her available cell records per LE) there may be something in his records, presuming nothing was lost by the phone company. LE stated there was no currently known electronic path from her to him. They had nothing on CW until his DNA match with the piece of duct tape collected from the drag trail at CB.

LE had a specific male dna of interest for awhile, but indicated no connection to CW.http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/aug/05/cowell-likely-knew-killer-sheriff-says/?online The knife that was found on the beach near Mackenzie's body is another potential source of dna-his and hers. Even if he threw his clothing into the river and also cleaned up in there, I think he'd still be covered in enough blood to leave plenty in the Jetta, or whichever his vechicle might have been. I seem to remember an early statement by LE at CB that There was evidence of homicide on the beach And in the house. No matter where she was killed, the killer had much to do and there must have been many opportunities for his activities to be seen. I keep wondering how CW moved Mac's body to CB? By the 11-12 and 13 of february, she was the object of an intense search, by land and air. Unless her body was stuffed in the trunk of a vehicle, unseen, it was a huge risk to travel with her. Then, to remove her from a car and place her onthe beach where she ws found on the 13th, with neighbors all close, nearby-the whole thing just defies any possible logic.

A reporter's question to Captain Doug Jones during the Oct 7 press conference:

"Early on in the investigation you had talked about or showed us a Leek knife that you said was involved, were you able to tie that to Christopher?"

Captain Doug Jones responded:

"That is obviously something we are looking for but uhh, to this time we have not located the physical knife regarding that ... ".

Leek Knives:
knives-western-knives-pocket-kershaw-m-leek.jpg

Maxam Knives:
100715_cowell_knife.jpg

... and Captain Doug Jones' response to the last question posed at the press conference:

"... as of this point we have not found a murder weapon, per se."

It seems more than one knife was used in this crime. Jones' response indicates they have not located the Leek knife, and earlier reports indicate LE did locate a Maxam brand knife at the CB scene.

Is more than one person involved , or only one person owning multiple knives/knife brands?

If only CW is involved then it appears my earlier post (Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - WA-Mackenzie Cowell, 17, ARREST MADE Orondo/Wenatchee-9 Feb. 2010 - #21) regarding a YouTube posting that claims CW had "returned later" to MC's body at the CB scene is quite relevant, with LE suggesting that one knife (Leek brand) is the murder weapon and they have not yet located it, and somes months ago LE reported they located one knife (MAXAM brand) at the CB crime scene.

If that YouTuber's commentary is accurate, then CW did return to MC's body at CB (apparently with a different knife) to indeed attempt to sever at least one of her arms. A trophy?

LE has not released CW interview information as of yet, and I expect will not anytime soon, this being an on-going investigation.

As I had inquired in my previous post: if the YouTuber is correct, HOW / WHY does that poster know that CW returned to the crime scene and attempted to sever one of her arms?

I believe there also is an issue regarding MC's cell phone records. A Verizon technician places Mackenzie's cell phone with 90% certainty at the Orondo boat ramp.

During the Oct 7 press conference Investigator John Kruse indicated 404 S. Chelan also as a ping location, that they have data suggesting both, with one "anamoly".

Were there ping transactions and / or calls and / or text messages sent / received in both locations? Other locations beyond that vicinity?

The defense will be all over those points during trial, assuming CW doesn't eventually change his plea to 'guilty'.

Who knows why anyone does anything on utube? I followed your link and saw the Mackenzie "video", but couldn't see the poster's narrative . I did think the song chosen by the poster was interesting:

"Bullet For My Valentine" is the "metal" band who performed

"Tears Don't Fall";the song chosen for Mackenzie's video. (lyrics below)

:

"Tears Don't Fall"

Tears Don't Fall :

Let's go!

With blood shot eyes, I watch you sleeping
The warmth I feel beside me is slowly fading
Would she hear me, if I called her name?
Would she hold me, if she knew my shame?

There's always something different going wrong
The path I walk is in the wrong direction
There's always someone *advertiser censored**ing hanging on
Can anybody help me makes things better?

Your tears don't fall, they crash around me
Her conscious calls, the guilty to come home

The moments died, I hear no screaming
The visions left inside me are slowly fading

This battered room I've seen before
The broken bones they heal no more, no more
With my last breath I'm choking
Will this ever end I'm hoping
My world is over one more time

Let's go!

Melancholy? ... see the attched pic file.

Similarly pouty mouths. Sad stares. Hair dressers.

Different reasons, perhaps, but similar demeanor.

CW sat amongst the white-shirt clad friends and co-workers of MC at her memorial, back in Feb. He wore black and occassionally bit his fingernails, emotionless.

I do not know any males that bite their fingernails. I suppose they exist, but in all my years, I've never come across one.

What did CW see in MC that made him so compelled to lash out and destroy the reflection?

Was it an assumed demonstrative rejection he felt?

How could he appear as so relatively calm during the memorial service, knowing MC's blood was on his hands, and a blackness in his heart?

So far, I've not read news nor witness accounts of how MC might have felt about CW .. only about how CW possibly felt about MC.

... and what of the phone # dialed 6 times on MC's cell phone? Will that forever remain a mystery?

Might it eventually be revealed that CW was friends with a family member of the household to which that dialed number belongs?

Doubt that.

I believe it comes down to an 'aura' CW felt that emanated from MC ... something that overwhelmed him, released an insanity which led to a terrible crime?

Or is it the simplest of motives ... sexual-advance rejection?

In most situations, the simplest typically is the most accurate.

But ... what if insanity is involved?

Attachments

• melancholy.png
    melancholy.png
    486.8 KB · Views: 72
For 6 months after Mackenzie's murder, I had my hair done at the academy many times and saw Chris Wilson often, at first.Usually, he was just walking around, aimlessly, it appeared, to me. Later, I didn't see him. Maybe he dropped out. A recent google of "that" phone number: a business never mentioned before, with, perhaps, an employee who was a special friend of Mackenzie? The link is a legitimate web search return, and there is no way I can remove any numbers from it.

B Buzz,

If I am not mistaken, ... shouldn't the number patter be i.e.: AABB, not ABAB?

A reporter's question to Captain Doug Jones during the Oct 7 press conference:

Captain Doug Jones responded:

Leek Knives:
knives-western-knives-pocket-kershaw-m-leek.jpg

Maxam Knives:
100715_cowell_knife.jpg

... and Captain Doug Jones' response to the last question posed at the press conference:

It seems more than one knife was used in this crime. Jones' response indicates they have not located the Leek knife, and earlier reports indicate LE did locate a Maxam brand knife at the CB scene.

Is more than one person involved , or only one person owning multiple knives/knife brands?

If only CW is involved then it appears my earlier post (Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - WA-Mackenzie Cowell, 17, ARREST MADE Orondo/Wenatchee-9 Feb. 2010 - #21) regarding a YouTube posting that claims CW had "returned later" to MC's body at the CB scene is quite relevant, with LE suggesting that one knife (Leek brand) is the murder weapon and they have not yet located it, and somes months ago LE reported they located one knife (MAXAM brand) at the CB crime scene.

If that YouTuber's commentary is accurate, then CW did return to MC's body at CB (apparently with a different knife) to indeed attempt to sever at least one of her arms. A trophy?

LE has not released CW interview information as of yet, and I expect will not anytime soon, this being an on-going investigation.

As I had inquired in my previous post: if the YouTuber is correct, HOW / WHY does that poster know that CW returned to the crime scene and attempted to sever one of her arms?

The reporter asked about a "linked" knife that "we" were shown early on. Presuming she used that term to mean "linked to this case." That being the Maxam, which is the only one I've ever read a media report about. If there is a media story that ever indicated another brand, I'd love to see it.

TIA

The reporter asked about a "linked" knife that "we" were shown early on. Presuming she used that term to mean "linked to this case." That being the Maxam, which is the only one I've ever read a media report about. If there is a media story that ever indicated another brand, I'd love to see it.

TIA

The reporter stated, "Leek".

The reporter stated, "Leek".

Link to any media story ever please that media was told by LE early on about any brand of knife other than Maxam?

Nothing to support that DH asked about any specific brand of knife. Not trying to argue it, but I have $400 worth of Sennheisers on that audio, and there is no way I get Leek out of word with "ed" on the end of it. If she did say that, she is both amazingly educated on knife brands and also very confused about what LE released earlier in the case, which was Maxam.

If LE had told media about some other brand of knife early on, they would have reported it. Nothing on KIRO's site or any other, and DH reports for KIRO.

Nothing from any of the Seattle media. Nor Spokane. Nor the Wenatchee World. Only about the Maxam set.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toomanywomenmissinginbc
Back