WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
First time poster.... all 8 page lurker.

First off - doesn't matter if flyer says 15 minute break. Academy is just covering their butt for letting her leave. They are a joke and I hope RC and WC go after them cause MC might still be here if she were more supervised by them.

My daughter is 17, goes to WHS half days and the Academy the other half of the day. She is supposed to be at the Academy from 1-5 Mon-Fri. Do they enforce it? Hell no. I've caught her many times not there during those hours. If it were WHS I would get a phone call if she were tardy, skipped, or left early.

I called the Academy and had them pull my daughter's attendance records and there are very few days that her 4 hours are accounted for. When I asked why was I not notified all I got was a "we don't call parents". I waslike.... even if she is a 17 year old MINOR in your care???? DUH.....

I'm about to pull her from the Academy because of their attitude towards the students and their lack of taking responsibility.

My daughter was good friends with MC and hung out with her outside of school and the Academy. She has been interviewed a couple of times by detectives without my presence. We have had long talks and I've called the tip line on things she told me.

I'm sure that the only thing we are waiting on is DNA results to slam dunk the case. Interesting some of these far fetched scenarios that some of you think up. Makes for some funny reading in light of this terrible tragedy.

Is the academy solely high school students? Or do they offer classes to non-high school students?

Just a suggestion...wondering if LE or FBI has checked with local Family Planning clinic. I'm sure they would have to have a court order or something to see private records....but they could reveal something

S&BBM

This caught my eye. May explain why someone might not want to be seen in public places with large crowds, like a memorial service?

Forgive me if someone has already suggested this, been trying to catch up since 6:30 this a.m. (am at work) - you guys sure have been busy!! :clap:

What if he just didn't go because of how most of this community thinks of him? I dunno, there might have been a riot if he had showed up...MO :twocents:

First time poster.... all 8 page lurker.

First off - doesn't matter if flyer says 15 minute break. Academy is just covering their butt for letting her leave. They are a joke and I hope RC and WC go after them cause MC might still be here if she were more supervised by them.

My daughter is 17, goes to WHS half days and the Academy the other half of the day. She is supposed to be at the Academy from 1-5 Mon-Fri. Do they enforce it? Hell no. I've caught her many times not there during those hours. If it were WHS I would get a phone call if she were tardy, skipped, or left early.

I called the Academy and had them pull my daughter's attendance records and there are very few days that her 4 hours are accounted for. When I asked why was I not notified all I got was a "we don't call parents". I waslike.... even if she is a 17 year old MINOR in your care???? DUH.....

I'm about to pull her from the Academy because of their attitude towards the students and their lack of taking responsibility.

My daughter was good friends with MC and hung out with her outside of school and the Academy. She has been interviewed a couple of times by detectives without my presence. We have had long talks and I've called the tip line on things she told me.

I'm sure that the only thing we are waiting on is DNA results to slam dunk the case. Interesting some of these far fetched scenarios that some of you think up. Makes for some funny reading in light of this terrible tragedy.

Also, if you don't mind... There were some alleged statements from a couple of her friends who stated that she seemed "happier" in the weeks prior to her demise. Any truth to that rumor that you know about?? Again, thanks!

Is the academy solely high school students? Or do they offer classes to non-high school students?

No, they are not solely high school students. That shouldn't matter though, if they are going to allow minors to attend their school they should have proper procedures set in place.

Respectfully snipped...

What if he just didn't go because of how most of this community thinks of him? I dunno, there might have been a riot if he had showed up...MO :twocents:

Yes, good point.

Really, until I paid attention to this case I had never heard of him. So, I'm not too sure anyone would have had a problem with him, unless it was family members who may have had/ currently have suspicion.

Like I have said to conclude some speculation I have made- I could be way off. We all could. Something could be released steering focus towards another.

Hey guys... this is probably none of my business but I wondered if anyone of you knew what "on a time out" means? Such as below a websleuths user name...

Hey guys... this is probably none of my business but I wondered if anyone of you knew what "on a time out" means? Such as below a websleuths user name...

It is a warning for someone who said things that he shouldn't have!

If you were guilty of murdering someone wouldn't you try to detract suspicion by going to a memorial as opposed to staying away?

If you were guilty of murdering someone wouldn't you try to detract suspicion by going to a memorial as opposed to staying away?

Good point - but also what if you weren't guilty and most of the community (including me) thought you were? Every emotion you showed, every tear you shed or didn't shed, every movement you made, everyone you talked to would be scrutinized...wouldn't you think? MHO of course

hey guys i just caught up on thread 8 and became very intrigued by del rio's theory...however i was only able to see his first post! did he ever post 2 and 3 or were they removed? :waitasec:

No, they are not solely high school students. That shouldn't matter though, if they are going to allow minors to attend their school they should have proper procedures set in place.

I don't recall the exact RCW (revised code of Washington, basically meaning Washington State Law), but there is a law referred to as the BECCA bill that refers to situations just like this. It REQUIRES accountability on the part of all educational institutions to report unexcused absence to the parent in a timely manner and take action should that activity continue.

In many cases, unexcused absence can be explaind and excused. Or a bit of "skipping out" can be remedied as kids are accounted for, parents are notified and the situation is resolved and ended before it becomes chronic.

Once a child enrolls in school they are to be tracked for attendance. The Wenatchee School Dist. has a very good (IMHO in comparison to most state districts) system for tracking, reporting and intervening when absences occur. Unfortuantely, it seems the Academy did not report their absences as they should.

This law was enacted to prevent situations where the child should be in school and puts responsibility for reporting absence on the school. Other wise, how can a parent know, in a timely manner, if their child misses class? The law came to be in the early 1990s when a student failed to show up for school for days, had a parent working conflicting hours so they did not encounter each other often during week days and such. The girl missed school for a number of days, the school never notified anyone and by the time the parent showed concern, much time had passed. She turned up deceased a short time later.

The BECCA law was enacted to prevent students from unaccountable moments where a parent thinks they are safe at school. If the Academy did not report absences and MC was skipping out often- no matter the reason- they were not in compliance with this law. This is unfortunate to say the least.

Jeez, forgot once again to WELCOME all you newbies!!!:dance::dance: This is a great site to share what you are thinking, without being slammed - unlike a certain local newspaper :crazy::silenced:

hey guys i just caught up on thread 8 and became very intrigued by del rio's theory...however i was only able to see his first post! did he ever post 2 and 3 or were they removed? :waitasec:

I have not gone back and checked, but they may have been removed.

Moderators posted a warning, after the theory was discussed, concerning content that was contained in those posts and asked discussion and further comments not be made about that theory.

Good point - but also what if you weren't guilty and most of the community (including me) thought you were? Every emotion you showed, every tear you shed or didn't shed, every movement you made, everyone you talked to would be scrutinized...wouldn't you think? MHO of course

Yes, if a person is suspected of being guilty, those who thing he/she is pick out things (no matter how small) and scrutinize them. People like to have their theories justified, and that's why, whether the perp cries or now, he/she can do no right.

Aside from the fact that they have got to have a guilty conscience and they will screw up one day.

That said, even though I've been following this case, I have not settled on a suspect IMO. There's no one who stands out to me and a lot of the theories here seem very outlandish. It seems to me that this will be a simpler case to break as opposed to something more complicated and thought out.

del rio is on a time out. not sure why... but if you are new to websleuths make sure to read the terms of service that are posted on the first post of this thread and follow them. The mods here do not mess around (thank you mods!) The reason this place is so nice is because the TOS is strictly followed.

If I'm not mistaken, they were removed and he is now on a time out. :(

True. I was just curious. This way I can lead my thoughts and theories based on this fact as opposed to a false one. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MABROUSSARD