WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Possible that the POI is in the film and recognizable enough to where they don't want the public all over it?

But then if the POI is visible, why recruit tips? Confusing.

true..i wouldn't want a riot to start in wenatchee.

I'll probably get in trouble for this, and maybe I'm just irritated because I did this for a living... regardless

IMO the crescent bar property is the key!!! That is not a random spot! There is obviosly intimate kowledge of that property. In the Wenatchee Valley there are hundreds of mountain roads, lakes etc. The spot where the body was placed was known to the killer. As an investigator I start there! Who knows that property? Who Duck hunts on the Columbia?

Pitcher Canyon, dont care- just a car dump, spec houses? maybe..

Why would someone pick that spot... they knew it was there! They obviously did not think it would be discovered that quick.

The killer was someone that knew the CB area well and ditched the car in a random place. I'm frustrated because this is so obvious.

It is probably the #1 party spot for kids in the summer time, isn't it? Otherwise, there are a lot of construction workers that have probably been in that area, but not sure if they would be down on the property. I would think kids would have discovered the hidden spot while partying there. Perhaps the killer and MC had been there before and it special to them. speculation

I'll probably get in trouble for this, and maybe I'm just irritated because I did this for a living... regardless

IMO the crescent bar property is the key!!! That is not a random spot! There is obviosly intimate kowledge of that property. In the Wenatchee Valley there are hundreds of mountain roads, lakes etc. The spot where the body was placed was known to the killer. As an investigator I start there! Who knows that property? Who Duck hunts on the Columbia?

Why would someone pick that spot... they knew it was there! They obviously did not think it would be discovered that quick.

The killer was someone that knew the CB area well and ditched the car in a random place. I'm frustrated because this is so obvious.

Dogdad, I agree 100%. CB is the key. The difficulty with this is that CB is used during various seasons by a wide range of walks of life. People who might be familiar range from spring time residents on walks, summer madness from all ages and professions, construction related personell that are still there working today. I think the timing of the construction of Del Rio's duck blind is also key. There is a finite window between "before duck blind" and "after duck blind". I'm kind of amazed given the wealth of "new Crescent Bar" that there is no video cam at the only entrance tho the grounds. One way in...one way out, unless walking or traveling by boat.

why can't they release footage of the boat launch? they did with her going to her car.

I am not an official investigator on this case, so this is my own speculation.

Investigating is like poker... You never show your cards.

If the main suspect is on film, you dont show it. That only tells suspect we gotcha. If you have 4 Aces you dont show it... get what I'm sayin?

I believe there is alot of evidence in place but the majority is circumstantial. The second that physical evidence is confirmed, this one is over.

Just my opinion

I don't think they have footage. I think they are basing it on the phone ping and maybe a witness seeing her car. JMO

But like Dogdad said, a ping isn't GPS and there are many variables. How do they know she wasn't in the Gold's gym parking lot? They must have footage, or like you said an eyewitness.

I think Dogdad is telling us it is very unlikely that they can narrow a ping to that spot.

That's why I added a possible witness. At that particular location many people park to eat lunch or pass by on a jog or a walk. Especially at that time of day. If she was down there it is very possible someone spotted her car. JMO

Could it take years? Authorities hope not ... but the worry is there
The heads of the three agencies involved in the investigation were asked: Could the investigation into the Cowell homicide take months or years?

• “There is always that possibility. ... It’s not going to be a quick investigation to solve. On the other hand, if we get some forensic information back or someone gives us the right information, it could close very quickly.”

— Harvey Gjesdal, Douglas County sheriff

• “It certainly could. We may not ever be able to solve it to the point where we make an arrest. We might be able to assume who committed this crime, but to ever be able to make an arrest, we don’t know.”

— Mike Harum, Chelan County sheriff

• “It could; it’s possible, but I’m sure hoping not. I guess I’m optimistic. I feel it will be solved, maybe not in the near future, but in the reasonable future. ... I can’t be specific.”

— Tom Robbins, Wenatchee police chief

I agree. All assumptions follow:

If someone in the real estate business, (of some kind), knowing the house was vacant, could have scouted out the location by fishing boat too, (finding the blind and trails easily), then they wouldn't have to figure out what to do when arriving by car in the dark with a body.

Either that or someone who has launched a boat a couple of times at CB. From the look of that vacant house, anyone driving past it a couple of times would realize it is vacant and possibly a good spot to further scout for a body dump.

I'm with you Dogdad. I think they're just getting him cornered. At least I hope so.

Could it take years? Authorities hope not ... but the worry is there
The heads of the three agencies involved in the investigation were asked: Could the investigation into the Cowell homicide take months or years?

• “There is always that possibility. ... It’s not going to be a quick investigation to solve. On the other hand, if we get some forensic information back or someone gives us the right information, it could close very quickly.”

— Harvey Gjesdal, Douglas County sheriff

• “It certainly could. We may not ever be able to solve it to the point where we make an arrest. We might be able to assume who committed this crime, but to ever be able to make an arrest, we don’t know.”

— Mike Harum, Chelan County sheriff

• “It could; it’s possible, but I’m sure hoping not. I guess I’m optimistic. I feel it will be solved, maybe not in the near future, but in the reasonable future. ... I can’t be specific.”

— Tom Robbins, Wenatchee police chief

Looks like everyone got on the same page for this interview - public information releases and their jobs are extremely complicated in a case like this.

I don't think they have footage. I think they are basing it on the phone ping and maybe a witness seeing her car. JMO

I have been certified as an expert witness in 6 states regarding this and I will tell you with 100% certainty that is an incorrect statement. Not trying to make you look bad or be argumentative but there is absolutely no way that location could be that specific in that scenario based ona registration

But like Dogdad said, a ping isn't GPS and there are many variables. How do they know she wasn't in the Gold's gym parking lot? They must have footage, or like you said an eyewitness.

Perhaps someone who knew her (work out buddy) that was standing in the Gold's Gym parking lot, watched her drive through the boat launch entrance.

Perhaps someone who knew her (work out buddy) that was standing in the Gold's Gym parking lot, watched her drive through the boat launch entrance.

Can you see the boat launch from the gym???

I see your point. The car placing does seem pretty random- but I think it was planned and for a few reasons:

SPECULATION

#1- it was the first, quickest place that was out of town- in a possibly secluded area- that could be reached on the way back from CB.

#2- it was on a road likely away from the normal travels of that car and MC. nearly every point in her daily travels would have been away from that spot (Wenatchee to Orondo and back, WHS to Academy, to WCs at Eagle Rock- these areas are all north) No one would take notice if the car driving uo there.

#3- it was fairly easy for the person to either walk or get a quick ride back into town from PC- likely the easiest spot on the outskirts a person could have picked that was both secluded and close.

The reasons I think there is some importance in the car spot in that it shows, to me, two things:

#1- the car was driven to CB Feb 9th. This means her murder happened between the time she was seen at the boatlaunch and the car left CB. This limits the timeline and place of murder

#2-whoever did this knew her, knew her travels and knew to avoid town after dumping her at CB if I am correct in that happening. This further confirms it was a person who knew a lot about her.

I do agree the CB spot is THE spot for answers. But I still think PC tells us things as well.

Looks like everyone got on the same page for this interview - public information releases and their jobs are extremely complicated in a case like this.

just like playing poker.....i think the person(s) who did this to her doesn't care much about life...a really desturbing individual.

I have been certified as an expert witness in 6 states regarding this and I will tell you with 100% certainty that is an incorrect statement. Not trying to make you look bad or be argumentative but there is absolutely no way that location could be that specific in that scenario based ona registration

I'm not disputing your knowledge regarding the ping location at all.
I'm just saying with a witness pinpointing her there, it could help with the location of where the possible ping was. Then announcing it publicly like they did, could possible draw more witnesses. Maybe the witness they had only saw the car or MC and did not notice anyone else. They would want to attract more witnesses that would have possibly seen someone with her.

Dogdad, I agree 100%. CB is the key. The difficulty with this is that CB is used during various seasons by a wide range of walks of life. People who might be familiar range from spring time residents on walks, summer madness from all ages and professions, construction related personell that are still there working today. I think the timing of the construction of Del Rio's duck blind is also key. There is a finite window between "before duck blind" and "after duck blind". I'm kind of amazed given the wealth of "new Crescent Bar" that there is no video cam at the only entrance tho the grounds. One way in...one way out, unless walking or traveling by boat.

Maybe the killer did not drive to CB. Maybe he didn't go over the Sellar bridge. Maybe they were in or around Malaga or the hills there. Maybe the third crime scene is west of the river and south of town. Maybe, after he ditched her car up PC, he went back for her and launched a boat below RI dam on that side of the river. You guys have already mapped out all the boat launches. Maybe it's somebody that lives nearby on the river and they have their own boat launch and/or a boat nearby. Maybe that's why the buoy is tied up at the CB property. Maybe she just got wet from him transferring her from a boat to the duck blind. Maybe he cared for her too much to leave her in the river to sink. Maybe he put her there because they had spent time there, and he just couldn't let her go, even in death. He probably didn't think she would be discovered so soon. IDK. I think there probably is another crime scene, but maybe it's somewhere in Malaga or Rock Island. I'm thinking the west side of the river, though. I think he loved her so much, he couldn't let anyone else have her, but he couldn't leave her in the river, either. He wasn't ready to let her go. Maybe she had a summer romance with someone at CB......someone she met at one of the parties?

speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member