WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
my wife has the same exact phone as mac's...gps is an option.

I believe that the VZ Navigator application is an option but that GPS location comes standard.

I bet that if you check your wife’s phone you will find that the GPS feature is turned on. To check:

From Menu
Select Settings & Tools then press OK.
Select Phone Settings then press OK.
Select Location then press OK.
Select the desired setting then press OK.
Location On Enables GPS location E911 Only Disables GPS location

I don’t see how LE could get a court order to stop WW from publishing a public document.

During that two week period you, me, or anyone else could have obtained a copy of the document.

The certificate is available to anyone at the health department 8:00am – 5:00 PM M-F. It is ready the next business day, after noon.

Exactly! It is a public document. IF LE had any recourse for keeping it secret and it was sooo important to the integrity of the investigation, there would be a provision for that. It was already "out there". I think LE is just using this to make the killer(s) think they are somewhat safe from prosecution. I'm sure the autopsy report contains much more in the way of unique secrets they need to identify the killer. MOO

Respectfully snipped by me.

So thanks to Dogdad, we now know the pings are not quite as accurate as we hoped.

Can someone tell me exactly where WC's place of employment is? Someone in a previous thread made it sound like it was right there next to the boat launch. Could someone have been parked at WC work when that ping went off? I'm not saying it was WC, but could JF have had the phone, stopped by to grab something, maybe keys, ping goes off and LE assumes it is at boat launch??

But then why would they say they know her phone was at the boat launch if there is a possibility it was somewhere else? I'm so confused.

WC is a General Contractor "Custom Homes by Wendy" and is a realtor with a local realty office on a very part-time basis, buying/selling real estate to subsidize custom home construction or allow her to purchase lots to build new projects on. I believe she maintains a home office for most of her dealings and checks in at the realty office at Mission & 2nd Street on occasional mornings.

The Orondo boat launch can be accessed off Worthen Street at Orondo or off Fifth Street (next to PUD) and then down Worthen about 5-7 short blocks. Hope this helps.

I don't think it was at all an early cremation. The autopsy was done, all samples, photos, possible DNA evidence was obtained and they were all done with the body. I would probably TOTALLY do the same thing if my child (god forbid) was mutilated. I would not want her body to be laying there all messed up. I would want her to be at peace, and perhaps in some people's eyes, removing all evidence (not evidence as in "evidence" but just the visual part) of her being hurt in such a horrible way. Maybe being quickly cremated is a way to help MC to be at peace. And perhaps it helps the family with some "closure".... being able to have a funeral with her remains there, etc........ just my thought

Does anyone else find it unusual that LE released the body (a crime scene itself) this early on in an investigation that has not had Person(s) of Interest named and/or arrests made public? I would have to wonder if if it has indeed occurred or if that is a rumor? Especially since all await Crime Lab results. JMHO

How do you know for sure that LE left things behind at the crime scene?

We have photographic evidence they left their litter on the beach, (crime scene tape).

And I believe we have no reason not to believe del rio, (remembering we aren't sleuthing posters, nor is anything here anything but a rumor anyways, until confirmed by LE or media.

If LE wants to put this "rumor" of their ineptness to rest, they can make a statement that they collected the buoy -- or that it was never located just off shore from the crime scene.

Edited to Add: Yes, they should have picked up the shotgun shells too. For anyone new who doesn't understand why Crescent Bar crime scene is so important -- there is a very high likelihood, (but we will call it a "rumor"), the duck-blind and direct trails down to it from the pond/driveway location were made within 90 days before the body was placed there. Further, duck hunting season only ended Jan. 31st - less than 10 days before MC went missing. This makes it very likely the murderer was at this location prior to dropping the body there within those 90 days, (maybe hunting - shotgun shells, or maybe fishing - buoy).

We know Mr. H called LE around 8p to report the car & that RC/WC/M's bf were at PC sometime before 10p..Prior to that we know when LE called RC re: his car he reported to them that M was "out past her curfew"..So what time was curfew for this 17 yr old Senior in HS?

It doesn't take but a few mins for LE to ID the owner of a car & I can't see it being more then an hour at most for LE to respond to the call so that puts the curfew sometime around 9ish? That seems rather early to me so I'm wondering if maybe M did anything (recently) to cause her dad to want her home at such an early time for someone her age.

IIRC, this "curfew" issue was a direct quote from RC..At some point we did hear about her missing "7p dinner" (not sure of the source) but regardless this is strictly re: her "curfew" only.

RC ate sit down dinner with MC on the nights she did not have dance classes to attend. There was no dance class on Tuesdays (but other dance related events happen occasionally on Tuesdays). For any of us who have had active, busy, senior girls we know that sit-down dinners are rarely possible, especially the closer you get to actual graduation. MC kept in close contact with RC so he would know when she was traveling the road to Orondo and to see if anything was needed from the grocery store, for instance. Dinner was served between 6:30-8:30 pm depending on everyone's schedule. Of this, I have personal knowledge.

Does anyone else find it unusual that LE released the body (a crime scene itself) this early on in an investigation that has not had Person(s) of Interest named and/or arrests made public? I would have to wonder if if it has indeed occurred or if that is a rumor? Especially since all await Crime Lab results. JMHO

I can’t imagine that there was a possible reason for the ME to keep the body. I expect that they followed the protocol for obtaining evidence.

What do you think that they would gain by keeping it?

I believe that the VZ Navigator application is an option but that GPS location comes standard.

I bet that if you check your wife’s phone you will find that the GPS feature is turned on. To check:

From Menu
Select Settings & Tools then press OK.
Select Phone Settings then press OK.
Select Location then press OK.
Select the desired setting then press OK.
Location On Enables GPS location E911 Only Disables GPS location

i'll check the features on the phone and let you know what i come up with

GPS / Location
GPS (Global Positioning System) is a global satellite-based system for determining precise location on Earth.

In a phone, this will allow operators to immediately receive your location when you call the emergency number (911 or 112).

When used with compatible Wireless Internet systems and services, and with the user's permission, it can also transmit location information to those services. This is called LBS. For example, a location-enabled phone book service might tell you where the nearest Chinese restaurant is, without requiring manual entry of a zip code, etc.

See: LBS

Most phones with "GPS" in fact use A-GPS technology. The "A" stands for assisted, and means that the phone relies on the network for help in determining location. Although the phone does receive GPS signals directly from the satellites, it can't determine actual location without help from the cell network.

I can’t imagine that there was a possible reason for the ME to keep the body. I expect that they followed the protocol for obtaining evidence.

What do you think that they would gain by keeping it?

The ability to reexamine for forensic evidence is forfeited once the body (crime scene) is released to the family. While I am in favor of evidence being released to crime victims at the earliest possible opportunity, I am aware of families who have waited for their loved ones remains for weeks to months before this occurs. JMHO

I think they probably left the shell casings behind because the COD was obvious and well established. They knew this wasn't a shooting. Also SG shell casings and brasses degrade extremely quickly and are (almost) as common as dirt in these parts. They could probably tell they were a bit old, subjected to the elements, and not valuable as evidence (no fingerprints would be left, ect)

He did say they took the bag and mattress (or they were gone) so obviously they thought those may have been related.

But yeah, total thoroughness would have been a bit soothing.

i'm still not worried though, I think they've got 'em in a corner anyway.

It wa Del Rio that told us the shell casings were there, and that LE had no interest in them. I assumed at the time they might have interviewed him at the site, and he saw them. I agree that those casings were important, in that if we are dealing with a hunter that also discovered this blind ( on private property) that they too might have left shell casings behind. As it has been discussed, a good number of hunters pick up their shell casings, but had they left some behind as well it would indicate other people using the blind. I asked Del Rio if he saw any other spent shells during his hunts there, and he did not recall seeing any. That is not to say there weren't any there as shotguns eject spent shells, in some cases quite a ways, that might be overlooked when cleaning up. It is my experience that duck hunters favor a particular type of ammunition, and might have that same brand if you will in their possesion. If a POI had that same ammunition it would certainly curcumstantially tie that person to the site. As a result I would have collected everything. Just my opinion. Has LE ever said anything about shell casings? Or in fact that this was a duckblind?

The ability to reexamine for forensic evidence is forfeited once the body (crime scene) is released to the family. While I am in favor of evidence being released to crime victims at the earliest possible opportunity, I am aware of families who have waited for their loved ones remains for weeks to months before this occurs. JMHO

In the cases where they held the body that you know about did they get any additional evidence?

why would someone take her cell and debit card? only someone close to her would of only took those items. i'm wondering maybe could of dropped them when she was being attacked or maybe she threw them out the window hoping someone would find them

The gas station at the top of the hill before you go into crescent bar is called Trinidad, and it is NOT open right now. I've been down there a few times in the last month. None of the stores or restaurants IN crescent bar are open either. Crescent bar is VERY dead this time of year....it doesnt normally start picking up until the big "opening party" memorial day weekend. However I'm not positive as to when the stores and restaurants and Trinidad open for the season. I will have to find that out.

ETA: The gas station is not open, however you can still pay at the pump....

The gas station at the top of the hill before you go into crescent bar is called Trinidad, and it is NOT open right now. I've been down there a few times in the last month. None of the stores or restaurants IN crescent bar are open either. Crescent bar is VERY dead this time of year....it doesnt normally start picking up until the big "opening party" memorial day weekend. However I'm not positive as to when the stores and restaurants and Trinidad open for the season. I will have to find that out.

ETA: The gas station is not open, however you can still pay at the pump....

thank you that explains why people were at the gas station when i went to qunicy last week. it does look a little creepy when you drive by CB.

RC ate sit down dinner with MC on the nights she did not have dance classes to attend. There was no dance class on Tuesdays (but other dance related events happen occasionally on Tuesdays). For any of us who have had active, busy, senior girls we know that sit-down dinners are rarely possible, especially the closer you get to actual graduation. MC kept in close contact with RC so he would know when she was traveling the road to Orondo and to see if anything was needed from the grocery store, for instance. Dinner was served between 6:30-8:30 pm depending on everyone's schedule. Of this, I have personal knowledge.

If he kept in such close contact with her, then IMO, he knew something was not right even before the call about her car.

is there actually people that duck hunt in CB?

Yes during the hunting season there are a fair number of hunters that hunt in the area. There is a boat launch there. They take their boats from that lauch to various points on the river.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paintedhousecat