WA - Major security incident at SeaTac Airport. All planes are grounded, Aug 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Did he crash on purpose?
Shot down?
Can't imagine a scenario like this as a suicide . Just seems odd. Spur of the moment decision? Planned?
Hate this for the guys family.

I don't think he got shot down. Not there. They would've chosen over open water instead of an island.

He said he didn't really plan on landing. He did a barrel roll and when he made it they tried to get him to land but he said he hoped the was it. He also said before the barrel roll that if he could do it he was going to nose dive after and end it.

He said he was sorry to disappoint people.

I think he just broke. And was very suicidal but not quite thinking it all through.

His comments about the beauty of the mountains, wanting to find the Orca mother and her baby and how all the beautiful sights just went by so quick, was devastating. He sounded so full of curiosity and wonder, even as he was ending his life.

It got to me.

Last edited:
I'm not going to listen to it because if it got to Gitana I know I cannot handle it. That is unbelievably sad.

I so hope he did not have children. Please don't let this be the legacy he left for them.

I hope this can raise awareness of the pay issues and homelessness problem up there.

There are enough apartments sitting EMPTY up there to house all of the homeless! It's all just so wrong.

Mike Keleher‏ @Hexfoliation
As horrible as this is, I have to say this: an aircraft mech pulled off a barrel roll in a twin engine turbo prop commuter plane. Speaking as someone in the industry, THAT is impressive. RIP, Rich...you lived the dream. #SeaTac

Strange Stardust‏ @strangestardust
Replying to @th3j35t3r
Something snapped in Rich at #SeaTac today. I listened to all the audio. He threw up in his lap. He apologized to his people. He realized he had crossed a line. He didn't want to hurt anyone. He had given up and given in. It's tragic and frightening.

Bosley ❄️ ‏ @TheOldening
Listening to the Rich / ATC #SeaTac audio is conflicting. He’s funny. He’s goofy. He sounds very likable. He’s doing something crazy. Dangerous. Horribly dangerous. And you know how it ends. And you feel for the guy. And you root for the guy. But you know how it ends.

Palm‏ @WiscoTendencies
Man the more I look into this #SeaTac the sadder it is. Rich seems like such a good dude quite frankly. No side agendas should come from this except mental health awareness - but TOGETHER not the bipartisan b*llshit. I am thankful he got his barrel roll in and was at peace. RIP

Last edited:
I just saw this thread, and haven't even turned on the news yet. NO WONDER my Mom's flight will be late getting in from Seattle. She's returning to Orlando and she kept texting me saying everyone had boarded her plane but it was just sitting on the tarmac and kept being delayed.
Now I know why.

Just crazy

For some reason this hits more as very depressed ready to leave earth but decided he wanted to do something he always wanted to do . FLY!

It almost feels as if it ahh what the heck why not it will be a blast (his words)

It also seems like he did not take it as a method of suicide more about a why not typeof thing

It would be interesting to know if he wa generally funny - his sense of humor is engaging but he complains of lightheadedness and then vomits and has informed them plane not pressurized .

Kinda thinking he started to get hypoxic - which might explain his goofiness and gong all over the place (confused - tangential all over the place lack of awareness of situation etc )

"...got a few screws loose, I guess."

And we have our official understatement of the year.

that is just funny

Am just learning about this and I am (sorry) finding him a riot . He is breezy tangential laid back sounds like he is having a blast - BIZARRE

I don't think he got shot down. Not there. They would've chosen over open water instead of an island.

He said he didn't really plan on landing. He did a barrel roll and when he made it they tried to get him to land but he said he hoped the was it. He also said before the barrel roll that if he could do it he was going to nose dive after and end it.

He said he was sorry to disappoint people.

I think he just broke. And was very suicidal but not quite thinking it all through.

His comments about the beauty of the mountains, wanting to find the Orca mother and her baby and how all the beautiful sights just went by so quick, was devastating. He sounded so full of curiosity and wonder, even as he was ending his life.

It got to me.

Nicely written ty

Ugh. One of the saddest things ever. Poor man.

HI you

I feel the same way

Mechanic not trained pilot -- possible suicide plan
He was asking ATC if the Dash 8 could do flips.
Coincidentally, BLUE ANGELS performed at annual air show last weekend for Seattle Sea Fair.
Used a cargo runway

Transcribing from live broadcast..

air shows are awesome!!

come on guys he just wanted to see the olympics !!

Do aircraft mechanics get minimum wage? I would not have thought so.

I do not think he was a mechanic he was a ground agent that liked playing video games!!

And hey at some level gotta give it to him. To be able to get her in the air cruise around a bit with a barrel roll thrown in for good measure that's pretty amazing on some level.

Takeoff is a SKILL -- would be neat to see if he had a bunch of flight simulator games where he lived and to do it without a copilot is more amazing. Think about it for a second! He was flying a plane, alone, while maintaining radio contact!!

He sounded bright - to transfer video games into being able to fly a turbo prop is amazing!

Was surprised he used term gas instead of fuel that hit me like he is around aviation

i wonder if he could not be a pilot for some (29 yrs of age) like did he fail test or did something medical prevent that, was this his life dream? He put himself around planes and airport so that kinda fits .

Unattainable dream finally got to him??

Does anyone know timeframe between barrel roll and crash - he might have structurally damaged something - there kinda not designed to be a member of the blue hornets!!!

on the other hand --some screws loose - did not know that till just now - might be more in reference to slow realization of what he had just done??

happiest suicidal individual I have ever heard ! He got a bonus -he also got to be chased by some F-15's! For an aviation lover that had to be a thrill ha !

don't understand the bewilderment with how he got access he had tarmac clearances. An aircraft moving around an airport is kinda expected so some of the shock about he did it is kinda IMO being overblown.

Funny someone just said "terrorists don't do aerobatics generally" !!

He clearly stated he did not want to hurt anyone when asked about landing I might mess up some stuff there

SOunds insane but there were some stuff that might be gay. Wanting sweet whispers and the comment about the good looking men at the Olympics was interesting at least !

He did leave his goodbye message to family and friends via ATC!

Curious to see him!

Cavalier is the word that keeps calling me!!

Last edited:
cant tell from posts if ya all have heard the whole thing -- so I am posting it sorry if already known

listening listening through the ATC stuff i think he passed out he complains of lightheaded again then goes off into a rambling deal about stuff being pretty serenity

that is a symptom of it (confusion) the confusing part is he certainly was not above 10000 feet and generally speaking 10000 and below you can breathe

they always try to get down to 10000 if they have a problem with pressurization

him complaining and then vomiting can be a symptom as well but he mentioned feeling lightheaded pretty early on

could the lightheaded and vomit be related to drinking a ton before doing it?

liquid courage type of thing?

here is the entire 25 minute segment

as time passes he does sound weaker.

BUT at the same time oriented enough to double check and see if 5000 feet is enough air to do to roll

oh -- just heard it for the first time ( it is on in background) "I was kinda hoping that would be it ( dead, I guess?) after he was complemented for his execution of the roll.

at one point he states he kinda wishes he could hang out and shoot the sh#t with the guys in the tower!!

after roll is when he starts to think an engine is failing -- that would make sense prop jets just aint like a super jet fighter doing a roll !!! ha so weird

his history is going to be interesting

wow ee again sorry if you all have seen it he inverted it!! Interesting on this one to hear the folks on the ground trying to make sense of what they are seeing

holy s

found the guys whole video incredible !! The guys tone of voice at 15 is hysterical!!

NO..............he had to have had some small type flight training!! That recovery from the loop de la doop loop was just perfect! have seen than maneuver at air shows !! The way he did not try to pull up after he got her out of the loop for a few seconds def makes me think he has had flight training! That was stable as heck!! This is not erratic flying !!! The pull out and banking was gorgeous! Def think this was his final wish -- to fly a big bird once.

It has a kinda like adolescent risk/dare taking feel to it

Oh my I am enjoying this -- am I a bad person?? Should I check in somewhere? Should I do so soon????

Last edited:
Wish someone would have stuffed a rag in that girls mouth.

????

The man was a ground service agent, a job that includes directing aircraft for takeoff and gate approach, and de-icing planes, cnn

he got far - map at link

The plane was taken from a maintenance position and was not scheduled for a passenger flight--ahhh he would not have known if repairs had been completed!

airline uses 40 of this type

I think his name might be Andrew?

Airline employee steals plane from Seattle airport, crashes and dies - CNN

He does make an interesting racial comment at one point - in the context of becoming a pilot if he can land it

nah I am white

from that witness video linked above (and his comments) it looks like he was planning to dive into water at that point ;and almost seemed to think ah shucks might as well go play around a bit longer

"I am gonna land it in a safe manner (water noone hurt )

then he says gonna do a barrel loop and call it a night

I wasn't really planning on landing it

Earlier parts were hard to hear

This bit helps a lot -- not struggling to hear it you def get a lot more ready to die got an apology several mentions of no desire to hurt anyone . I think his name is Andrew (thought this was interesting -- I think he was talking to himself when he said Andrew peoples lives are stake) like torn but ready

with being able to read and after seeing witness I now wonder if the pull out of the dive was last minute possibly change his mind ??

But he damaged something (speculating) and it ended up going down on the island?

I think he def hates (I mean hates) his employer

Reading along with him it at times it is poignant

Last edited:
Also, there was this exchange:
"Congratulations," an air traffic controller says, "you did that, now let's try to land that airplane safely and not hurt anybody on the ground."
The man responds: "Awwww-right ... dammit.. I don't know man! I don't know! I don't want to. I was kinda hoping that was gonna be it. Ya know?"

Airline employee steals plane from Seattle airport, crashes and dies - CNN

Where I live, minimum wage is much lower and most low wage workers don't get 40 hrs per week, but less so no benefits. It's why many have to work 2 or more jobs. They earn just enough to not qualify for Medicaid, but not enough to afford rent, food, health insurance, car payment, etc.

Seattle metro area has the 5th highest homeless population in the US, many working people.
Minimum wage in NC is $7.25/hour.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back