WA - Major security incident at SeaTac Airport. All planes are grounded, Aug 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Somewhere along the way he also threw in something about Alaska airlines not hiring him to be a pilot because he’s a white guy. Maybe it was a joke, but dude - it would be because you STOLE A PLANE!

wondering if he had been taking flying lessons and for whatever reasons realized it might be along time before he could fly commercially (or for whatever reason the carrier made it clear to him that THEY were not gonna give him that ) and that was his last straw

what better way to eff your employer by taking a 32 million dollar plane and destroying it? more than once tho he does mention feeling as if higher ups (his term) have not been listening to their employees

is it because it is a sat but it is bewildering his name has not been released (even as a leak) kinda seems like by now colleagues would be able to id by voice and his sense of humor. Seems also as if there would be a note to make sure the airline heard his grievances this time.

It also struck me from the beginning that it was just flat out strange for the ceo or whatever she was, mid friday night , to make a statement.

In addition, it seems like some of the ATC stuff has not been released - there would have to have been a whats your name or how about if i call you rich or just call me rich something like that

it all starts off with that just established - unless airline already told him his name but him talking to Andrew in the tone he did and what he said struck me as he was admonishing himself for what he had done moo

what better way to eff your employer by taking a 32 million dollar plane and destroying it?

I can think of a lot of ways. If he lived he'd be in jail for a long time, they would have thrown the book at him and no amount of "aww shucks I just wanna do a barrel roll" would overcome the idea of a guy who doesn't know how to land a plane (the hard part) flying over my house. He couldn't even hit the water when asked to.

I can think of a lot of ways. If he lived he'd be in jail for a long time, they would have thrown the book at him and no amount of "aww shucks I just wanna do a barrel roll" would overcome the idea of a guy who doesn't know how to land a plane (the hard part) flying over my house. He couldn't even hit the water when asked to.

Personally I think he landed/crashed exactly where he wanted to.

He didn’t want to live.

why would that be better or whatever !!

Big facility for keeping the worst of the sex offenders who served their sentences but are too dangerous to release "yet": HBM060: The Predators of McNeil Island | Here Be Monsters

But the guy still flew over populated areas. Seatac airport is surrounded by homes, this whole part of the country is pretty dense with houses, business, roads, you name it. He didn't have a pilot's license, he could have just as easily crashed upon takeoff into the many working-class homes in that part of town.

It seems like if someone really wants to kill themselves, there are plenty of ways to do it that don't put others at risk. This guy did.

Big facility for keeping the worst of the sex offenders who served their sentences but are too dangerous to release "yet": HBM060: The Predators of McNeil Island | Here Be Monsters

But the guy still flew over populated areas. Seatac airport is surrounded by homes, this whole part of the country is pretty dense with houses, business, roads, you name it. He didn't have a pilot's license, he could have just as easily crashed upon takeoff into the many working-class homes in that part of town.

It seems like if someone really wants to kill themselves, there are plenty of ways to do it that don't put others at risk. This guy did.

I think that is why this strikes me as doing one final dream before he kills himself.

On several occasions he mentions his concern about hurting anyone anyone else,

or even damaging property

I ve tried to cut and paste but those articles wont! But he went a ways before crashing !!

he sounds like he would be a hoot- will be interesting to see if others describe him as funny

he asks if they have talked to McCord yet so i would think they all knew who HE was since last night. Notification of family??

I wonder if Horizon Air has plane jacking coverage !! HA

Last edited:
I am so saddened to listen to those tapes of him. He placed himself in a situation where he could not get out alive and, then, had to follow through with no option to change his mind. I feel like the psyches of so many people are so fragile. Although he is fairly lucid and caring about others, I am surprised that he is being painted as a good guy based on his polite and considerate demeanor by people. In many suicides that are played out in public (especially, those who suicide by cop), I feel that a lack of understanding of the mental stresses and mental illness that are undiagnosed or undertreated contribute. Having a nice guy put himself and others at risk doesn't mitigate the danger he posed and the lack of help he had prior to this suicide.

Last edited:
that what make pulling out of dive bewildering (changed his mind?

Or was having too much fun?
I think he was buying himself time. They wanted him to land so saying he would do one more thing and call it a night gave him time before he might get shot out of the sky by the f15s. He had the best controller who kept him engaged and didn't rile him. However, I do think if the exchange was more confrontational there would have been a greater chance of him crashing in a more populated area.

I am so saddened to listen to those tapes of him. He placed himself in a situation where he could not get out alive and, then, had to follow through with not option to change his mind. I feel like the psyches of so many people are so fragile. Although he is fairly lucid and caring about others, I am surprised that he is being painted as a good guy based on his polite and considerate demeanor by people. In many suicides that are played out in public (especially, those who suicide by cop), I feel that a lack of understanding of the mental stresses and mental illness that are undiagnosed or undertreated contribute. Having a nice guy put himself and others at risk doesn't mitigate the danger he posed and the lack of help he had prior to this suicide.

It will be interesting to hear how long he worked there & if there are any infractiions in his work history. Also was he on medications.

I think he was buying himself time. They wanted him to land so saying he would do one more thing and call it a night gave him time before he might get shot out of the sky by the f15s. He had the best controller who kept him engaged and didn't rile him. However, I do think if the exchange was more confrontational there would have been a greater chance of him crashing in a more populated area.

I thought the atc guy was great also

he should become a hostage neg!

at all levels it is an interesting event

Agreed. How work history and story will be very interesting to contrast with the man we heard on the plane.

"I've got a lot of people that care about me. It's going to disappoint them to hear that I did this. I would like to apologize to each and every one of them. Just a broken guy, got a few screws loose, I guess."

- Voice on air control scanner, believed to be that of suspect

Plane crashes after 'unauthorized take-off' from SeaTac airport, officials say

Reading what he says implies to me that his family is/was aware of his state of mind.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back