WA WA - Oakley Carlson, 5, missing during welfare check, Oakville, 10 Feb 2021 *mom guilty, identity theft*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I feel like every time I log into WS, I see a missing child from my state under New Posts. What is up with us lately? Why are so many Washington children disappearing? :(

I hate seeing any case where a child is removed from loving foster parents and given back to their dysfunctional and/or neglectful and/or abusive birth parents. You can tell how much sweet Oakley's foster parents loved her, and cared about her. She would have been perfectly fine and healthy if she had been able to stay with her foster family. Family reunification is not always in the best interests of the child and/or the parents. This is an example of this.

Still catching up on this thread...

I just don't get it. HOW do people disappear their kids - refuse to cooperate with LE, refuse to produce said kid, and not be charged and prosecuted for it? HOW? Over and over and over we see this.

I’m really hoping he does something stupid that produces some evidence. I don’t understand how this scum can walk free.

Oakley had such a wonderful loving home with her foster parents. She was going to have an incredible life full of love and opportunities. The system is beyond broken.

AUG 3, 2022
Carlson was sentenced to a year in prison and was released early from the Grays Harbor County Jail at about 1 a.m. Wednesday.

FOX 13's Chynna Greene spoke with Oakley's former foster mother, Jamie Jo Hiles, after Carlson was released. (See video in the article)

AUG 3, 2022
[...]

Jamie Jo Hiles, Oakley’s former foster mom, spoke with KOMO News just hours after Carlson was released.

“Where is Oakley?” Hiles asked with tears in her eyes. “How would you feel if your child was missing and no one was doing anything about it?"

[...]

Oakley’s father Andrew Carlson is scheduled for a chemical dependency hearing on Sept. 12.

[...]

Grays Harbor County Undersheriff Brad Johansson said Andrew Carlson was interviewed on Tuesday by Grays Harbor County Sheriff’s Office detectives and a FBI special agent but “did not provide any information that would assist in locating [Oakley] Carlson.” Johansson said Andrew Carlson and Bowers remain persons of interest in the case.

“Detectives are still trying to prove what happened to Oakley Carlson,” Johansson said. “The answers to this question would more than likely lead to criminal charges for those responsible.”

[...]

AUG 31, 2022
The reward fund for finding 5-year-old Oakley Carlson is growing by the week. One close friend to Oakley's foster parents struck a unique way to bring more awareness to the young girl's case.

The "Beat the Heat Challenge" chicken wing eating tournament that pit man against sauce, and tested the mettle of 15 challengers, made the 60-some spectators bust a gut on Saturday, Aug. 27, at Mount Olympus Brewing in Aberdeen.

[...]

Katie Gonsalves, manager at Mount Olympus Brewing, partnered with Sydney Newbill, owner of Renae's Rendezvous, to host the challenge. The point was to increase the reward fund to find Oakley. The reward fund was at $79,791 before the weekend, according to the nonprofit organization Light The Way Missing Persons Advocacy Project.

The contestants' $25 entrance fees pushed the reward fund to $80,166. There were numerous prizes donated from Grays Harbor County-area businesses for a silent auction. The total amount raised Saturday was not yet known to The Daily World as of Sunday, Aug. 28.

Gonsalves said the event was to get people together and show love and support for Oakley, and her former foster parents, Erik and Jamie Jo Hiles. Gonsalves said she's known the couple since they were all in high school.

[...]

Gonsalves said the event turned out "amazing." She was happy about how much the event aided the cause to find Oakley.

"A lot of people were asking who (Oakley) was," Gonsalves said. "I think we raised awareness more than anything."

I feel like every time I log into WS, I see a missing child from my state under New Posts. What is up with us lately? Why are so many Washington children disappearing? :(

I hate seeing any case where a child is removed from loving foster parents and given back to their dysfunctional and/or neglectful and/or abusive birth parents. You can tell how much sweet Oakley's foster parents loved her, and cared about her. She would have been perfectly fine and healthy if she had been able to stay with her foster family. Family reunification is not always in the best interests of the child and/or the parents. This is an example of this.

Still catching up on this thread...

Washington is my state, too. Do we, indeed, have more kids disappearing, or is it “observation bias”?

We were very strict with enforcing COVID rules. Which was probably great for good families, but what about bad ones?

Also, we have megapolis- and megapolis-like areas (all Eastside is a megapolis, in a way), and then, discrete, farming areas, that are not so connected. Does it play a role? Does geography play a role?

Washington is my state, too. Do we, indeed, have more kids disappearing, or is it “observation bias”?

We were very strict with enforcing COVID rules. Which was probably great for good families, but what about bad ones?

Also, we have megapolis- and megapolis-like areas (all Eastside is a megapolis, in a way), and then, discrete, farming areas, that are not so connected. Does it play a role? Does geography play a role?
For a few weeks, it seemed like people here on Websleuths were constantly on WA missing kids threads and bumping them up on the New Posts tab. Now, not so much. Now the main one here seems to be Gabriel Davies. There was a little missing girl from Bremerton, but thankfully, she was found safe and unharmed very quickly. I don't think we necessarily do have more kids missing but maybe their cases get more attention sometimes? Maybe we have a lot of Washington Websleuthers? :)

Washington is an interesting state and I do think geography plays a role here. It's geographically very large and western vs eastern WA are so different. We have everything here. Heck, I live in a moderately-sized city, and work less than 40 miles away, and it is like a different world there. We also have so many areas (like most states, I assume) that would, and I hate to bring this up but I will, be "useful" to conceal remains. We have beautiful national parks, pristine woods, massive stretches of evergreen trees and mountains. Also very easy to get lost in even without foul play. Nature is not forgiving. In my city you can be downtown shopping or getting a drink and practically turn around and get lost in the woods! I'm exaggerating, but really not by much. Lots of people here but also lots of vast empty space. I do think that plays a role in it.

I also genuinely do wonder if weather plays a role...not so much in eastern WA but more here in western WA. Not that people are running around harming others because of the rain, it just wears on you, you know?

SEP 8, 2022
OFCO found that "the Department’s actions and conduct in this case were consistent with laws, policies, and court orders." OFCO did say that the investigation identified areas of improvement, specifically "to preserve and strengthen the parent-child bond when a child is removed from the home."

"Obviously, we are all concerned about that case, so I wanted to find out if there is anything amiss that had not been done correctly and according to this letter, it came back and reported that the department had acted in compliance with existing rules and regulations. It doesn't mean that we are still not concerned about the case but I’m pleased that we got that back," Inslee said at the news conference when asked about the letter.

(See full letter in the article)

SEP 9, 2022
[...]

“Our investigation primarily focused on family reunification efforts, permanency planning, and (DCYF’s) response to any identified child safety risk or risk factors prior to and after Oakley was returned home,” reads a copy of the letter obtained by FOX 13.

“... Our investigation however identified opportunities to improve services to families, specifically to preserve and strengthen the parent-child bond when a child is removed from the home.” Dowd went on to state that parent-child visits are “critical” to “a successful family reunion” and said reunification planning “should not only focus on a parent’s successful compliance with services but should also address parent-child bonding and attachment issues.”

Oakley’s former foster mother, Jamie Jo Hiles, reportedly told FOX 13 she was “outraged” and had spoken to Dowd regarding the case, informing him she called Child Protective Services twice regarding concerns about Oakley and her biological parents, but believes no one followed up to check on Oakley and her siblings.

"Show integrity and transparency and release the investigation in full that proves no wrongdoing on behalf of not only DCYF, but Washington state as well. If that can’t be done, then I am AGAIN requesting an outside agency review of Oakley’s DCYF case that can be done with impartiality. We want justice for our little girl and to make sure that this tragedy never happens again," Hiles wrote in a statement to FOX 13 News.

[...]

Ann Rule (the true crime author, passed away in 2015) had a longstanding theory that serial killers and well-masked killers (handsome, charismatic, normal seeming) gravitated to the edges of continental America - Florida, Washington, south of San Diego. I’m not aware of any scientific analysis on that, but anecdotally it feels like it might bear out.

AUG 3, 2022
[...]

Jamie Jo Hiles, Oakley’s former foster mom, spoke with KOMO News just hours after Carlson was released.

“Where is Oakley?” Hiles asked with tears in her eyes. “How would you feel if your child was missing and no one was doing anything about it?"

[...]

Oakley’s father Andrew Carlson is scheduled for a chemical dependency hearing on Sept. 12.

[...]

Grays Harbor County Undersheriff Brad Johansson said Andrew Carlson was interviewed on Tuesday by Grays Harbor County Sheriff’s Office detectives and a FBI special agent but “did not provide any information that would assist in locating [Oakley] Carlson.” Johansson said Andrew Carlson and Bowers remain persons of interest in the case.

“Detectives are still trying to prove what happened to Oakley Carlson,” Johansson said. “The answers to this question would more than likely lead to criminal charges for those responsible.”

[...]
Remind me - egg donor is in jail too?

SEP 8, 2022
OFCO found that "the Department’s actions and conduct in this case were consistent with laws, policies, and court orders." OFCO did say that the investigation identified areas of improvement, specifically "to preserve and strengthen the parent-child bond when a child is removed from the home."

"Obviously, we are all concerned about that case, so I wanted to find out if there is anything amiss that had not been done correctly and according to this letter, it came back and reported that the department had acted in compliance with existing rules and regulations. It doesn't mean that we are still not concerned about the case but I’m pleased that we got that back," Inslee said at the news conference when asked about the letter.

SEP 9, 2022
[...]

“Our investigation primarily focused on family reunification efforts, permanency planning, and (DCYF’s) response to any identified child safety risk or risk factors prior to and after Oakley was returned home,” reads a copy of the letter obtained by FOX 13.

“... Our investigation however identified opportunities to improve services to families, specifically to preserve and strengthen the parent-child bond when a child is removed from the home.” Dowd went on to state that parent-child visits are “critical” to “a successful family reunion” and said reunification planning “should not only focus on a parent’s successful compliance with services but should also address parent-child bonding and attachment issues.”

Oakley’s former foster mother, Jamie Jo Hiles, reportedly told FOX 13 she was “outraged” and had spoken to Dowd regarding the case, informing him she called Child Protective Services twice regarding concerns about Oakley and her biological parents, but believes no one followed up to check on Oakley and her siblings.

"Show integrity and transparency and release the investigation in full that proves no wrongdoing on behalf of not only DCYF, but Washington state as well. If that can’t be done, then I am AGAIN requesting an outside agency review of Oakley’s DCYF case that can be done with impartiality. We want justice for our little girl and to make sure that this tragedy never happens again," Hiles wrote in a statement to FOX 13 News.

[...]
Did no wrong Well then where is Oakley? why were her sibs fed meth? Why did the DNA Donors get away with denying one sib crucial meds for so Damn long? Why did So called child protective services ignore calls concerning Oakley? Why was her loving foster mother threatened by them when she reported abuse????????

SEP 8, 2022

SEP 9, 2022
[...]

[...]
Of course they are going to say that. The investigation was done by the state. They all work for the state. DCYF is a state-run agency. Total BS in my opinion and called CYA. Nobody will make them accountable for anything and this is why they get away with everything because they are all part of the state of WA. I agree with foster mom. They need to have an outside agency do an independent investigation.

Of course they are going to say that. The investigation was done by the state. They all work for the state. DCYF is a state-run agency. Total BS in my opinion and called CYA. Nobody will make them accountable for anything and this is why they get away with everything because they are all part of the state of WA. I agree with foster mom. They need to have an outside agency do an independent investigation.

So basically the state investigated the state and said state didn't do anything wrong. Peachy.

Precisely! Pointless.
I have to go back and refresh my memory, but I thought there were reports of abuse in the home before Oakley disappeared?

I don't see anything in the OFCO's letter that states the abuse allegations were investigated by DCYF and reviewed by OFCO? Surprisingly, there are no specifics mentioned at all. It's simply a regurgitation of department policies. Where's the real report?

SEP 13, 2022
Andrew Carlson, the biological father of missing 5-year-old girl Oakley Carlson, was labeled a no-show in Grays Harbor County Superior Court on Monday, Sept. 12, in Montesano, for his review hearing for re-arraignment.

Carlson, who was released from jail on Aug. 3 following an eight-month sentence after pleading guilty to two felony charges of child endangerment, was due back in court to confirm he had obtained a chemical dependency evaluation within 45 days of his initial release.

However, when Judge Katherine L. Svoboda called to begin Carlson’s hearing, the courtroom remained silent. When Svoboda requested information about his no-show from Carlson’s defense attorney, Johnathan Feste, he couldn’t confirm the whereabouts of his client.

[...]

“I’ve heard second or third hand that he went to a treatment facility in Eastern Washington. I don’t have any way to know if he’s out or not,” Walker said.

Svoboda requested if there was a way that Walker could provide verification that Carlson had been registered in the facility, but was told that there was nothing he could produce at that moment.

Following the brief information from both attorneys, Svoboda issued a bench warrant for Carlson with bail set at $25,000.

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces
Back