WA - Orca mother carries dead calf for fourth day, San Juan Islands

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is beyond heartbreaking . Such a beautiful example of love grief and true deep emotions. Sadly most humans are too dense and self involved to even fathom that animals can have these feelings. I read something like this and it angers me to know how many people abuse animals because they cannot even begin to understand that Yes they feel!!! My heart goes out to her xxoo

Researchers searched all day for the grieving orca mother. Then they found her, still clinging to her calf.
Originally published July 31, 2018 at 9:18 pm Updated July 31, 2018 at 9:33 pm

First, in late afternoon, members of her clan came into view. The boat full of researchers scanned the water, ruling out one whale after another. As day turned to evening and windswept seas settled, she came into view in a 1,000-foot-deep stretch of water in B.C.’s Southern Gulf Islands, as her family traveled around her. But was baby with her? And
there it was, tiny, and still held on the mother orca’s rostrum. It was day eight for Tahlequah. She has traveled hundreds of miles in that time. (bbm)

“I am relieved we see her, that she is healthy and swimming strongly, and that she is with her family,” Shedd said. “But it is so emotional that she is so caring. It boggles my mind. To carry it is hard for her physically and mentally. It is just heartbreaking.

Researchers plan to track J35 until she releases the calf. They hope to retrieve it and study why it did not survive.
Researchers searched all day for the grieving orca mother. Then they found her, still clinging to her calf.

There's a word for that kind of behavior: grief.
[snip]
"We can't get into the animal's mind, we don't know if she has a concept of death," says anthropologist Barbara J. King, author of How Animals Grieve and longtime writer for NPR's 13.7: Cosmos and Culture. "But it seems to me that she's quite aware that there's something very wrong, that her baby is no longer the way that it should be — and she's so distressed about it that it rises to the level, in my estimation, of grief."...

"Look at some human traditions — from an Irish wake or an open casket, to when an elected official lies in state — when people want to come by and pay tribute to a person," Atkinson says. "There are so many ways that humans have done multi-day ceremonies to honor the dead and say that even though they're no longer a part of our community physically, they will always be a part of us. "And I think that's what Tahlequah and her family are doing."...

ap_18206667631059_wide-a1efa1cc383810372c4e15db68a921c6fb2929d2-s1600-c85.jpg

After Calf's Death, Orca Mother Carries It For Days In 'Tragic Tour Of Grief'

One article said that they were unable to spot her on Tuesday but it seems that eventually they did, according to the article Seattle posted above. I'm relieved!

I also found this:
"Members of a pod of endangered killer whales now appear to be taking turns floating the body of a newborn calf that died more than week ago."
Orcas now taking turns floating dead calf in apparent mourning ritual | CBC Radio

Maybe that's why she appears stronger than yesterday (when she was falling behind). Maybe she was able to eat something.

Continuing to send love and strength to her!

I cant remember the exact comment but I remember watching a documentary and a scientist saying that when they analyzed an Orca brain, they had a whole other part that we humans don't have. So, I absolutely do believe that she has a concept of death. Bigger than a concept. They all understand what has happened.

I cant remember the exact comment but I remember watching a documentary and a scientist saying that when they analyzed an Orca brain, they had a whole other part that we humans don't have. So, I absolutely do believe that she has a concept of death. Bigger than a concept. They all understand what has happened.
I believe that dogs have a concept of death too. They just don't fear it as we do.

I wonder if this is her first baby or her first baby to not survive?

From the link in my post #26:

"She's a normal, joyful whale. She's 20 years old. She's got an 8-year-old son," Atkinson says, adding that Tahlequah likely had another pregnancy a few years ago that she didn't bring to term.

"She has one successful calf, she may have had a miscarriage and now we have a third one that she met," Atkinson adds. "And I can only imagine, once that baby took breath and swam by mom, that the bond they would have already shared had to have deepened. So maybe that makes this even more painful."

Thank you Seattle. So for two pregnancies in a row something went wrong. I wonder if there's any way to find out why and possibly help her during her next pregnancy. I guess it would very dificult to do any kind of tests, if not impossible since they are wild. But if anything can be done I'm sure those researchers will do it after what they are witnessing now. Nobody wants this to be repeated.

ETA: hopefully they can learn something from the dead calf once she releases it.

Last edited:
Thank you Seattle. So for two pregnancies in a row something went wrong. I wonder if there's any way to find out why and possibly help her during her next pregnancy. I guess it would very dificult to do any kind of tests, if not impossible since they are wild. But if anything can be done I'm sure those researchers will do it after what they are witnessing now. Nobody wants this to be repeated.
But humans have those things happen too, with no obvious reasons.

ETA: hopefully they can learn something from the dead calf once she releases it.
I kind of get the feeling that she knows she's done birthing, and maybe that's why this has been so difficult on her. She matured a couple year's earlier than normal considering her son is 8 and factoring the gestation. I'd been listening to the "watch" for her all day before she was finally spotted, all the while afraid that one in the pod was trying to "let the baby go" if you will.

I've learned so much watching the compassion of some animals, especially compared to the horrific, abusive, behaviors we read here too often.

I kind of get the feeling that she knows she's done birthing, and maybe that's why this has been so difficult on her. She matured a couple year's earlier than normal considering her son is 8 and factoring the gestation. I'd been listening to the "watch" for her all day before she was finally spotted, all the while afraid that one in the pod was trying to "let the baby go" if you will.

I've learned so much watching the compassion of some animals, especially compared to the horrific, abusive, behaviors we read here too often.
Yes, but most parents are good parents who love and protect their children. You can look at all horror stories and think it is the norm, but it is not.

You mean she won't be able to have more pregnancies? I don't know much about orcas.

Good question. I read she is 20 years old so was probably 18 when she conceived. Ana do you know when they become sexually mature?

I can't be sure but I think it is between 8 & 10 years ago but they don't usually start mating until a few years after that. Although, Seaworld and such would have them mating much younger and making terrible parents. She is about the right age and I am sure, if conditions improve (they can get the food they need etc) that she could have a good few more calves. Hopefully she will not lose anymore. Especially females.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dylan O' Cone
Back