GUILTY Wa - Pat Shunn, 45, & Monique Patenaude, 46, Arlington, 11 April 2016 *arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I agree with whoever was saying this case reminded them of the McStays. We kept wondering why a family would take off and leave their animals unattended and sadly, now we know that wasn't the case for the poor McStay family. Two cars over an embankment makes me think there is more than one person involved. I don't think this was suicide but the timing of the court case and their disappearance is very, very troubling. My fear is that someone or perhaps two people came into the home while they were sleeping Monday night or early Tuesday morning and forced them out of their home. :(

I agree with whoever was saying this case reminded them of the McStays. We kept wondering why a family would take off and leave their animals unattended and sadly, now we know that wasn't the case for the poor McStay family. Two cars over an embankment makes me think there is more than one person involved. I don't think this was suicide but the timing of the court case and their disappearance is very, very troubling. My fear is that someone or perhaps two people came into the home while they were sleeping Monday night or early Tuesday morning and forced them out of their home. :(

The question with the McStay family was whether they left voluntarily, or were murdered. In this case, is it also possible to consider whether they left due to financial reasons?

There is something about the Stillaguamish Valley that reminds me of Deliverance. It is mossy and foggy much of the time. Beautiful but creepy. It was settled by Appalachians. I think they came for logging and coal mines then stayed. I was exploring this area once with a local who told me his neighbors didn't send their kids to school, hunted possum and made their own moonshine. When I think of buying a cabin or small hobby farm in the Cascades this is the last place I would pick because of the culture- redneck isn't the right word because there isn't enough sun but is it backwoods. On the plus side there are so many hiking trails and there is a nice bluegrass festival every summer.

Not surprised local LE isn't exactly proactive in a neighbor dispute in this area.
Yes, Concrete was settled by South Carolina "Tarheels"

All things considered...Lest we forget (hindsight) how the McStay case actually turned out!

:moo:

All things considered...Lest we forget (hindsight) how the McStay case actually turned out!

:moo:

Yes, speculation was that they ran away from financial responsibilities until the day that all four bodies were found.

This couple similarly vanished. Were their cars paid off? Were they solvent? What was their financial situation?
Was the problem with the neighbor genuine, or staging?

Having recently followed a case that might be a suicide staged as a murder, I might appear cynical.

What makes some people think they can trespass, ride ATV's, drive their vehicles and let their dogs loose on another's property? And to keep doing this after asked to stop? Why wouldn't the judge issue the restraining order just to be on the safe side? No help from local LE? They just let the local rednecks bully this couple with impunity? I guess so. <modsnip>

A general comment:

In Washington, trespass is a misdemeanor - so LE can't arrest anyone unless they see it happening (under the misdemeanor presence law). If the reporting party can somehow prove it happened, a prosecutor may issue an arrest warrant. (maybe....)

But if the land isn't controlled access (no fences, no gates, no signs) then technically it isn't trespassing. It may be a civil land use dispute. Those things are difficult, protracted and LE tends to stay out of them. We had neighbors up the street who DELIBERATELY PAVED A PARKING SPACE ONTO someone else's land. This stuff happens all the time, and usually it is a civil matter.

Even inside a building (controlled access) LE usually waits there to see the owner/agent ask a person to leave, and then and only then will arrest someone only if they refuse to leave.

A general comment:

In Washington, trespass is a misdemeanor - so LE can't arrest anyone unless they see it happening (under the misdemeanor presence law). If the reporting party can somehow prove it happened, a prosecutor may issue an arrest warrant. (maybe....)

But if the land isn't controlled access (no fences, no gates, no signs) then technically it isn't trespassing. It may be a civil land use dispute. Those things are difficult, protracted and LE tends to stay out of them. We had neighbors up the street who DELIBERATELY PAVED A PARKING SPACE ONTO someone else's land. This stuff happens all the time, and usually it is a civil matter.

Even inside a building (controlled access) LE usually waits there to see the owner/agent ask a person to leave, and then and only then will arrest someone only if they refuse to leave.

I wouldn't mind if someone wanted to add buildings to my property at their expense, but I would expect the civil court to recognize the real property report. What was going on here? Were people presuming that private land was public land, and the municipality did not enforce property rights?

No Plaintiffs = No case. Timing is everything.

The neighbors filed a claim for April 7, that was rescheduled to May, and in the meantime the defendants vanished and their cars were trashed?

I just don't get any vibe that these two had ANY reason to run away. The dispute with the neighbor leans in their direction, not against them. Unless there is something that we do not know anything about...

Why no further information from LE? I hope and bet that a ton is going on behind the scenes that we are not privy to.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sleuthchic
Back