WA WA - Richard 'Cody' Haynes, 11, Kittitas, 12 Sept 2004

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Kadence,
I think Cody's mom Lisa has said before that the police refuse to cooperate with them which made it difficult for them to get media attention. I believe she has said before that America's Most Wanted missing children wanted to share Cody's story, but the police refused to cooperate with them. He eventually ended up on their website though. link here: http://www.amw.com/missing_children/case.cfm?id=31146

I think a huge part of the reason is that most of the recent (very little) information about Cody's case is from Lisa's own research. (and her family as well) The police haven't really done much in the case as far as we know. I wish there was a way for us to get the police to open Cody's case back up and look again at the evidence. I don't think it should matter that Cody's father and his girlfriend got "lawyer-ed up" as Lisa has been told by the police several times.

I wish there was more interest in Cody's case. I feel really strongly about Cody's case. He's always in my thoughts. Something about that little boy seems just so special.

So far, it's Wednesday and no update about Cody at this time. I'm anxiously awaiting an update, which I hope is about the search for Cody.

Kadence,
I think Cody's mom Lisa has said before that the police refuse to cooperate with them which made it difficult for them to get media attention. I believe she has said before that America's Most Wanted missing children wanted to share Cody's story, but the police refused to cooperate with them. He eventually ended up on their website though. link here: http://www.amw.com/missing_children/case.cfm?id=31146

I think a huge part of the reason is that most of the recent (very little) information about Cody's case is from Lisa's own research. (and her family as well) The police haven't really done much in the case as far as we know. I wish there was a way for us to get the police to open Cody's case back up and look again at the evidence. I don't think it should matter that Cody's father and his girlfriend got "lawyer-ed up" as Lisa has been told by the police several times.

I wish there was more interest in Cody's case. I feel really strongly about Cody's case. He's always in my thoughts. Something about that little boy seems just so special.

So far, it's Wednesday and no update about Cody at this time. I'm anxiously awaiting an update, which I hope is about the search for Cody.

Thank you for your reply peacesells! I'm wondering if not solely for the fact that the police refuse to cooperate, if that would pique a reporters interest? It would have to be a strong reporter, not someone who would be afraid to ask the questions and demand the answers. Someone perhaps from Dateline? I have no idea how to go about this but I will give it a shot because, for some reason, this young man, like you, has just touched my heart.

Please other WSers, can you help out in some way? Feedback or ideas to shine a spotlight on Cody's case? Many thanks!!!

Thank you for your reply peacesells! I'm wondering if not solely for the fact that the police refuse to cooperate, if that would pique a reporters interest? It would have to be a strong reporter, not someone who would be afraid to ask the questions and demand the answers. Someone perhaps from Dateline? I have no idea how to go about this but I will give it a shot because, for some reason, this young man, like you, has just touched my heart.

Please other WSers, can you help out in some way? Feedback or ideas to shine a spotlight on Cody's case? Many thanks!!!

The only thing I can think of is if we bombard Talk Shows and Morning News people with Cody's story. Of course we'd have to have his family behind us in this because they'd be the ones getting interviewed. JMO

Kadence,

Yeah, there's been a lot of talk about how little cooperation the police are giving. While going through the old news articles posted on the previous page, the one below gave me a lot of insight.

FBI takes over in Haynes search, Kittitas boy has been missing since September 2004
October 27, 2005
http://www.dailyrecordnews.com/news/...c86aba9c9.html[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

I'm still trying to decide for myself if this is a case of:

1. Like the article says, the detective feels a sense of "ownership" over the case. Feels like he'd be giving up on a child by handing it over or asking for help. After all, it did take him 14 months to release Cody's case to the FBI, who clearly would have more resources than little ol' Kittitas PD.
  2. Or, of course, something more sinister. Cover up. Complete incompetence. Who knows.

And then, of course, there's this. In which a member of the investigative team that the Police Chief did let in, leaked extremely sensitive information to the press.

Leak in Cody case worries police chief
February 16, 2005
-A member of the investigative team has leaked confidential info to the press, putting the investigation in peril. Police chief wants them off case.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...C5224740&hl=en

At this point, I think I'm stuck in between #1 and #2. I think the police chief wanted so badly to find Cody, but just didn't have the resources or ability to do so. Once he let it go 14 months, it was beyond helping. So now, if he agrees to let more people in, who knows what they will dig up or spread around.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed,

I think it's a combination of both. I think if the detective felt a sense of ownership but knew they didn't have the resources or the training to deal with such a case, and still took this long to release to the FBI is in a way bad detective work. However, what's done is done at this point. In regards to the witness in the second article that you linked, they said the witness may not want to cooperate now. Do you know if this witness has spoken to police since the incident?

ISC investigations have put up the update about Cody's search that they have been assisting in.
"Thank you all for waiting very patiently regarding the search for Cody Haynes. As of now what we can share with you is the fact that bones were located however, we are unsure if the remains belong to Cody as we need to wait for the test results.

Law Enforcement has said the remains located were those of animals and a fragment was removed. Please know that we have no intentions on misleading or misinforming anyone regarding Cody but after the discussions I have had with the family we have chosen to think different and are waiting to see what sort of information Law Enforcement will come up with. As you can probably tell we are trying to remaining positive however there have been many hurdles and road blocks since the beginning.

Since the search we have had numerous new leads and at this time we along with the family are reviewing and validating their credibility. New statements have been obtained from witnesses as well as obtaining new documentation.

Additional items were discovered during the search that have given all of us new hope that we may not be far from finding Cody. We pray #Cody2013 is the year the individuals who have posed such harm to an innocent boy are arrested and brought to justice. We have told Lisa and her family we will continue to support and assist in finding Cody and will continue to until Cody is located and justice is served. Lisa and her family have been bullied long enough and it needs to stop.

As soon as the results are known you will be updated. We would like to share more information but since this is an "open and active investigation" we need to be very careful as to what information is shared. We would hate to interfere with their investigation.

In the meantime we ask that you continue to keep Lisa and her family in your prayers and continue to help us keep the memory of Cody alive. We also ask that you all give Lisa and her family the respect that is needed. #cody2013"

It seems like only some parts of the bones that have been found belong to an animal. It seems like the investigation is taking a turn to the better. I'm glad the family is very hopeful that they find Cody soon.

To answer that question Frannie--Cody, his sister and both parents lived in Colorado at the time. Cody's father picked the kids up of a regular visit and didnt come back. He left the state with all of the kids. Lisa and her family has ALWAYS be active in the search for Cody. As a matter of fact she is the lead in the search to bring him home.

I'm so hoping for a turn for the better in Cody's case. I'm glad the recent searches are bringing attention to Cody's case! Thank you for the info peacesells. I also agree with you and SheWhoMustNotBeNamed about a combination of the two but I would hope that #2 wasn't intentional as the Police Chief seemed very committed to bringing Cody home and finding those responsible for hurting and disappearing him. I was touched that he wears (wore? is he still Police Chief?) the NCMEC pin in Cody's honor.

aujum9, thanks for stopping in and I hope you are your family will have answers soon.

The police department at the time was a 2 man army. What they say/said and what they did/do are so much different. Yes, they do have a few more employee's but they haven't changed from then to now.
From the start they should have taken Cody and the girls out of the home after the first report of abuse. We believe there would have been a far better outcome for Cody and the girls if the city of Kittitas and the State of Washington would have removed them. Since the live-in girlfriend conveniently worked for CPS the reports we unnoticed or ignored. How many times does a principle have to call it before they do something? Who in their right mind would make them stand out in the snow with no shoes and no coats as a punishment? The police department still till this day wont cooperate with America's most wanted to get Cody on the website or on the show. I have heard of plenty of people and even parents that wont cooperate with Americas most wanted, but the police department?? We have plenty worse complaints that we are now letting our investigator tackle. For another example, less than 24 hours after the bones were found by K-9 Forensics recently the undersheriff made a statement to reporters that the bones were not human. He said they were found to be animal bones. You would think that before he made a statement like that to the public and media he would have informed Cody's Mom or any of the family. Did he? NO! Lisa had to here it on the news. Can you imagine the roller coaster ride Lisa and the girls have been through. What kind of department works like that? Not only did he lie, he also didn't follow procedure and contact the family. He also said all the bones found were in fact animal bones. Which is also partly untrue. The bone was sent off to the anthropologist and they wont be done with the finding for weeks or even months. The undersheriff just so happened to leave that part out. Seems to me that he wanted to make good and clear that it wasn't Cody and was only animals. Almost insinuating that this was a joke and we dont know what we are doing. K-9 forensics know what they are doing. They are highly recommended and qualified. Like I said everything will come out. It may not be today or next week but it will come out. The Lord has a way of making things happen that way.

To answer that question Frannie--Cody, his sister and both parents lived in Colorado at the time. Cody's father picked the kids up of a regular visit and didnt come back. He left the state with all of the kids. Lisa and her family has ALWAYS be active in the search for Cody. As a matter of fact she is the lead in the search to bring him home.

I saw the search video and she seems very set on finding him. I too hope this or any information they find, brings closure to the family. I'd be going three types of crazy if my 12 year old was missing over an hour, let alone 8 years. I can't say I've ever been in her shoes; or that I even know how she feels; but I can say that she and Cody both deserve peace. My heart goes out to you and all the family.
And good for her that she hasn't let it get her down. It shows that she's a very strong person and I have the utmost respect for her. <3

The police department at the time was a 2 man army. What they say/said and what they did/do are so much different. Yes, they do have a few more employee's but they haven't changed from then to now.
From the start they should have taken Cody and the girls out of the home after the first report of abuse. We believe there would have been a far better outcome for Cody and the girls if the city of Kittitas and the State of Washington would have removed them. Since the live-in girlfriend conveniently worked for CPS the reports we unnoticed or ignored. How many times does a principle have to call it before they do something? Who in their right mind would make them stand out in the snow with no shoes and no coats as a punishment? The police department still till this day wont cooperate with America's most wanted to get Cody on the website or on the show. I have heard of plenty of people and even parents that wont cooperate with Americas most wanted, but the police department?? We have plenty worse complaints that we are now letting our investigator tackle. For another example, less than 24 hours after the bones were found by K-9 Forensics recently the undersheriff made a statement to reporters that the bones were not human. He said they were found to be animal bones. You would think that before he made a statement like that to the public and media he would have informed Cody's Mom or any of the family. Did he? NO! Lisa had to here it on the news. Can you imagine the roller coaster ride Lisa and the girls have been through. What kind of department works like that? Not only did he lie, he also didn't follow procedure and contact the family. He also said all the bones found were in fact animal bones. Which is also partly untrue. The bone was sent off to the anthropologist and they wont be done with the finding for weeks or even months. The undersheriff just so happened to leave that part out. Seems to me that he wanted to make good and clear that it wasn't Cody and was only animals. Almost insinuating that this was a joke and we dont know what we are doing. K-9 forensics know what they are doing. They are highly recommended and qualified. Like I said everything will come out. It may not be today or next week but it will come out. The Lord has a way of making things happen that way.

Yea, I've been in small towns where everybody covers for one another and it's the "good ole' boys" system, who rub elbows to not let anything slip. It's not easy to penetrate but It'll happen. You have good people on your side, and the truth will come through, god Willing. JMO

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed,

I think it's a combination of both. I think if the detective felt a sense of ownership but knew they didn't have the resources or the training to deal with such a case, and still took this long to release to the FBI is in a way bad detective work. However, what's done is done at this point. In regards to the witness in the second article that you linked, they said the witness may not want to cooperate now. Do you know if this witness has spoken to police since the incident?

Respectfully snipped.

Based on the information and the circumstances immediately before and after that article, I can only speculate that the "sensitive information" that was released was the fact that it was Cody's sister that spoke up, said she saw Cody being abused, and that led them to get a warrant.

It said that the information was leaked in Spokane, and the first (only?) newspaper to come out and say that Cody's sister had provided information leading to a warrant, was the Spokesman Review (Spokane paper). The rest of them just said "information had been acquired" or "new leads" or something along those lines.

Which would make sense, in my mind, as to why he felt the witness might not want to cooperate because they might feel like they couldn't be protected. Who else would need protecting? One of Cody's sisters, most likely.

JMO.

I came across this missing child by accident and was moved to post.

Richard Lee Haynes- nickname Cody -is an 11 year old little boy who is missing under suspicious circumstances from his father’s home in Kittitas, Washington on September 12th, this year.

It was first suspected that Richard might have run away, but authorities aren’t so sure now……
"At this point our whole area has been thoroughly searched," said Dunnagan. "We are comfortable he is not within the general area. We have no idea where he is. We have exhausted our leads. We are committed to finding this child. We are in it to find him."
One week after the disappearance of Cody, law enforcement authorities and CPS representatives removed his four sisters from their home. The girls were placed in foster homes. A court order had been issued alleging abuse, neglect and lack of supervision. Police wanted to speak to each child, individually, regarding their brother's disappearance.”

http://www.crimelibrary.com/missing_children/richard_haynes.html -full article on Richard

Please take a GOOD LOOK at his photo - have you seen him recently? Do you live in the Kittitas area or maybe in Florida when Richards mother lives? 11 years old is too young to run away and be able to fend for yourself for any amount of time……………..

Weirdly, I think he bears a passing resemblance to missing Australian child Daniel Morcombe.
Here’s his missing child page

http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...NCMC&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US

Please help look for his child.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw this little boys photo emma l - hopefully he fares better than what poor Daniel did

Yes, it will come out because good will always continue to overpower evil, I just wish it didn't take so long sometimes. Hugs and prayers to you and your family, you have been through so much.

I tried to click the second link you posted but it says page not found. It takes me to the crime library.

Just wondering or in-case I'd missed it. Did anything come up on the bones/fragments as "human"? TIA

Bumping for Cody - can any other Websleuths help out? With other Spotlight Cases it seems that I have seen more "action" - if you have the time or inclination, please help this family find their loved one, they, and Cody deserve it. TIA - we need the best on this case which all of you are!

I signed the petition. Now, I receive facebook insert about the case. I don't think all this will make much of a difference. It is so sad, beaten for 6 hours, probably until he died. I guess once again a girl friend was more important than one's own child.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missylaforme
Back