WA WA - Richard 'Cody' Haynes, 11, Kittitas, 12 Sept 2004

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Bobbisangel said:
Gosh, how long has it been now?
It seems like the remains were found in mid August? I guess it's been close to a couple of months.

SewingDeb said:
I went to the comment and read today, thanks for posting the link. In the article that the comments were for, did I read right when I read when they said it could take up to a year to make the ID? (Sometimes I am not sure if I interpret things correctly?)

The comment of the poster at the link you provided kind of echos my sentiment.

Boyz_Mum said:
I went to the comment and read today, thanks for posting the link. In the article that the comments were for, did I read right when I read when they said it could take up to a year to make the ID? (Sometimes I am not sure if I interpret things correctly?)

The comment of the poster at the link you provided kind of echos my sentiment.
........................................................................................................

From the article:

It's not clear how long they were there. Tests may reveal the age and sex of the child.

Yakima county coroner Maury Rice says the fastest way to find out is through dental records.

D.N.A. testing could take a long time.

"You might even have to go from our state crime lab to Texas. Texas as this time isn't charging for it but we gotta stand in line, and I've been waiting for about a year now," says Rice.
.......................................................................................................

The article is kind of confusing. At the end of it it says that the bones have been sent to Texas.

Maury Rice says that she has been waiting for about a year now....but it hasn't been that long since the bones were found has it? Doesn't seem that long ago anyway. Seems like a few months though.

I just hope that once the bones are identified that the parents are arrested.

Another thing that is confusing in the article is the mother...Lisa. Is that Cody's bio mother? She says that she had a closer relationship with Cody then she had with her daughters or something to that affect. She wasn't raising Cody though. He lived with his father. I hope that isn't that girlfriend turned wife that is talking. I can't remember her name but it doesn't seem like it was Lisa. Anyone know?

I guess we just have to keep hanging in there and hope and pray that we get an answer soon and that little Cody can be laid to rest. Bless his little heart. I want to see his dad and stepmother with handcuffs on in their jail suits.

Is there anyone posting from Texas who might know a bit more about the lab the remains were sent to? Is there anyone to contact anyone for an update? I don't know much about what can be made public etc.

Bobbisangel said:
........................................................................................................

From the article:

It's not clear how long they were there. Tests may reveal the age and sex of the child.

Yakima county coroner Maury Rice says the fastest way to find out is through dental records.

D.N.A. testing could take a long time.

"You might even have to go from our state crime lab to Texas. Texas as this time isn't charging for it but we gotta stand in line, and I've been waiting for about a year now," says Rice.
.......................................................................................................

The article is kind of confusing. At the end of it it says that the bones have been sent to Texas.

Maury Rice says that she has been waiting for about a year now....but it hasn't been that long since the bones were found has it? Doesn't seem that long ago anyway. Seems like a few months though.

I just hope that once the bones are identified that the parents are arrested.

Another thing that is confusing in the article is the mother...Lisa. Is that Cody's bio mother? She says that she had a closer relationship with Cody then she had with her daughters or something to that affect. She wasn't raising Cody though. He lived with his father. I hope that isn't that girlfriend turned wife that is talking. I can't remember her name but it doesn't seem like it was Lisa. Anyone know?

I guess we just have to keep hanging in there and hope and pray that we get an answer soon and that little Cody can be laid to rest. Bless his little heart. I want to see his dad and stepmother with handcuffs on in their jail suits.

I found this in one of the articles:girlfriend, Marla Jaye Harding so I guess that is the biological mother who is talking.

It is a shame that it will take so long. I went back to the link I put up a few posts back and watched the video. It says basically the same things...that it will take a year to get DNA results back from the Texas lab. It also says there is a chance this is the missing 5 year old girl Sophia Juarez.

I feel sorry for Sophia's family. As I recall there wasn't a lot of press coverage when she went missing. And I have a feeling it may be her since Ritzville is closer to the Tri-Cities area (I think...)

RITZVILLE -- DNA tests have failed to establish the identify of a child whose skull was found last summer in a field near Ritzville.

Adams County Sheriff Douglas Barger said Wednesday that technicians at a laboratory in Texas were unable to extract enough DNA from the bones. Now Barger says the FBI is offering to help.

A farmer found the skull in three pieces on August 12th in a field along U.S. Highway 395 just south of Ritzville. Despite an extensive search, no other bone fragments were found.

Authorities have said the skull might be from one of two missing children - 11-year-old Cody Haynes, who vanished from his family's home in Kittitas in September 2004, or five-year-old Sofia Juarez, who was last seen in Kennewick in February 2003.

http://www.kxly.com/news/?sect_rank=2&section_id=560&story_id=6670

In searching for information about the bones found in Ritzville, I found this:

Skull found in field near Ritzville is 600 to 770 years old

The Associated Press

RITZVILLE — Pieces of a small skull that were found in a field south of town along U.S. Highway 395 last year have been found to be 600 to 770 years old, Adams County sheriff Douglas Barger says.

The results of FBI carbon dating ruled out any link to two missing children in the region, Barger said Monday.

Three bone fragments that were found on Oct. 12, 2006, after a backfire from a car started a fire in a field south of Ritzville were quickly identified as pieces of the skull of a child, but DNA testing was inconclusive.

No other bones or human remains were found in an ensuing search.
Authorities hoped the remains might shed some light on the disappearance of 11-year-old Cody Haynes of Kittitas in September 2004 or 5-year-old Sofia Juarez of Kennewick in February 2003.

Richard Haynes, the missing boy's father, was under scrutiny from authorities in Kittitas County. He reportedly told investigators he took a meandering 250-mile drive — including the stretch of U.S. 395 where the bones were found — in search of auto parts the night his son vanished. He said he believed his son was a runaway.

The little girl disappeared after being given $1 by her mother to buy candy at a convenience store.

The carbon-14 testing made it clear that the skull pieces were from an American Indian, so steps are being taken under federal law to return the bone fragments to tribal authorities, Barger said.

The Washington state Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation also has been contacted, Undersheriff John W. Hunt said.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003996829_webbones06.html

Do you all think we will ever know what happened to Cody? If he has been killed, someone out there is getting away with it. Such a shame his parents wouldn't search or attend vigils for him.

Do you all think we will ever know what happened to Cody? If he has been killed, someone out there is getting away with it. Such a shame his parents wouldn't search or attend vigils for him.

I'll always believe that the dad is the guilty party. His story had so many holes in it. Heaven only knows what he did with the body if he really did drive that many miles. I wish guilt would get to him or something.

Sure sounds like he hard a tough life. I definitely think "Dad" had something to do with it. Who goes looking for car parts at 2 am?? I sure hope they find him.

I've never understood why a missing persons Myspace site would be private. Isn't its very purpose supposed to be to publicize a disappearance? It can hardly do that if nobody but friends can view the page.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but it might be because she listed CODY's age instead of hers. I'm not exactly sure on MySpace's new privacy rules for younger kids, but I have a suspicion if you're under 16 your page is private? I'm sure you can change it, but maybe she doesn't know that. I will try to leave her a message and see what can be done.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but it might be because she listed CODY's age instead of hers. I'm not exactly sure on MySpace's new privacy rules for younger kids, but I have a suspicion if you're under 16 your page is private? I'm sure you can change it, but maybe she doesn't know that. I will try to leave her a message and see what can be done.

You are correct, if you are under 16 its automatically private/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman
Back