WA WA - Samantha Sayers, 28, Vesper Peak, North Cascades, 1 August 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know people disappear and are found later injured or had fell off a cliff etc. But this one for some reason screams someone caused her to be missing. I may be wrong. The odds are she was injured or lost but I keep getting that strong feeling another was involved. Not her family or boyfriend but another on the trail. Odds are against that theory but it nags me still.
I totally agree spiritkiss! They said that cell phone ping #3 was an anomaly. Depending on what time the ping was and Lord not one person has the ping times, Errrr! Let's say ping #3 was at 5:30 pm. Then it's not that unfathomable that she made it to the parking lot where some creep grabbed her and threw her cell phone out the window. Because pin # 3 is very close to the parking lot. So, Heart wrenching!

If she fell, the phone might have been damaged or dropped where she couldn't retrieve it.
Really? I didn’t see that. It’s so hard for me to follow the #findsamsayers Facebook. It’s so confusing and jumbled. It’s easier for me to see things posted here!
Really? I didn’t see that. It’s so hard for me to follow the #findsamsayers Facebook. It’s so confusing and jumbled. It’s easier for me to see things posted here!
i went back to link the photo map from Facebook with the bloodstain info. It was deleted. Not sure why. I may have screenshot it on my iPad, will check and check tos to see if it’s ok if I post?

i went back to link the photo map from Facebook with the bloodstain info. It was deleted. Not sure why. I may have screenshot it on my iPad, will check and check tos to see if it’s ok if I post?

I believe the map you're looking for can be found here: MAPS | Find Sam Sayers

I'm wondering now about whether her phone would have moved at all. Seems to me that those two pings are pretty close to each other, which means that if the phone were in between them, maybe it just randomly pinged off one tower and then another without moving, as the tower's reception ranges probably overlap (possibly considerably so). This would work against the idea that she was moving, and would support that something happened to her shortly after summiting.

Last edited:
Did they find the blood trail today? I hope it was preserved and sampled for testing.
Like the human body itself, DNA decays with increasing rapidity in the presence of heat, water, sunlight, and oxygen. At this point with direct exposure to the sun and several weeks passing, I doubt they could get anything useful out of it.

I don't know who shot the specific footage that people are reviewing on YouTube, but they've said on the Facebook group that the family hired a private professional drone pilot to get some footage, in addition to some other professional drone pilots who were volunteering their time. I don't believe the boyfriend is a drone pilot at all.

The Youtube videos were shot by the bf, they just got the other helpers in today.

Some things it would be helpful to know:

1. What would Sam's survival plan be like? Would she shelter in place? Would she drop items as crumbs for searchers? Would she try spelling out anything using rocks, sticks, etc? If she was injured, would she try to make some part of her gear visible?
2. Does she know how to build an emergency shelter?
3. If someone dangerous approached, does she know self defense, ie: could she fight someone off?
4. And most importantly, has she or anyone else appeared to have used any of the trail packs left out?

These are things that need updating if anything other than searching on the ground is going to help.

I'm starting to wonder if she hit her head pretty hard, but not hard enough to incapacitate her. Maybe she hit her head hard enough to not remember where she was, hence getting very lost in an area she otherwise might have been familiar (or "easy" to navigate), along with it starting to get dark.

Last edited:
I'm starting to wonder if she hit her head pretty hard, but not hard enough to incapacitate her. Maybe she hit her head hard enough to not remember where she was, hence getting very lost in an area she otherwise might have been familiar (or "easy" to navigate), along with it starting to get dark.
Anything is possible yet. After looking at the drone footage, I am shocked anyone makes it off the mountain safely.

The SAR team said they have searched all trails she would have possibly taken, and nearby areas. I think it is safe to say that after 3+ weeks of continual searching by family, friends and professionals, she is most likely in a very difficult to reach or not easily visible area. No signs of even a single piece of her gear or clothing has turned up yet indicating that she is not easily able to leave signs to be noticed, like some have talked about. What happened to the dog scenting on something or someone on the southern side of the mountain. Did they ever run that to ground with additional dogs or searches? The phone pings and the video footage have given the best leads and yet no answers.
It saddens me to think of anyone alone for this amount of time with limited supplies stuck in a cave, cavern, mine, crevasse, underbrush or any other difficult spot to see. On one hand I find it hard to believe that if she is on the mountain there has been no confirmed trace yet been found. How is that even possible? Yes she could have been injured and disoriented. She could also have been attacked by someone on the mountain who then covered their trail. There are a hundred different scenarios but the one solid fact that shines more than any other is that this young lady, Samantha Sayers is very loved by her bf, her friends and her family. This much love, tenacity and determination gives me confidence that she will be found and soon home with loved ones surrounding her. Let’s keep searching video, keep searching the mountain and posting finds here. Together we stand for Sam

I think that whatever happened to her happened quite suddenly. It doesn't appear as if she attempted to send any kind of SOS signal or make any kind of phone call/text. It's strange to me that the phone also suddenly stopped pinging between the two towers as well. I personally think that she likely stepped off the trail, and then fell, breaking her phone and possibly (fatally) injuring herself. This would make even more sense if she fell into water. This would likely put her somewhere difficult to see. It wouldn't surprise me really if they found her somewhere within the range of those two pings (where the two tower's ranges overlap).

Why she would go off the trail is a mystery to me though, unless it was to go to the bathroom. This could realistically be the case, as I think this would put her in a very vulnerable position. I would think that some of her gear would have been found by now if that were the case, but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility. I'm not sure right now about the hypothesis that she was attacked by another person. Her mother seems to be thinking that something is off about the eye witness --she has alluded to such allegations in her last two or three video updates--but I'm not too suspicious of him at the moment, as there is no evidence to suggest that he did anything to her. Still, he could be mistaken about the direction that she headed off in, etc. without malicious intent.

However, the issue is that if she did pass away, it is also likely that scavengers and other animals have found a way to her body. In the book by NecroSearch (No Stone Unturned), they discuss how bears would be able to move pig carcasses from the body farm and move them up to a mile or two. I'm not sure what kinds of animals are there, but I've seen some mention of larger predators that could do this. It's horrible to think about, but scavengers can move a body quite far in a short amount of time, and 3 weeks is a very long time to be out and exposed in the elements.

A lot of people saw her on the trail ascending but no one saw her on the trail descending. That indicates to me she fell and is in a ravine, cravasse or underbrush or that she was hit
by a rock slide. That happened to an acquaintance of mine on the John Muir trail who was an expert hiker. Still holding out hope they find her.

Also, since she was not dressed for the elements, there is always a possibility of hypothermia. I think she might have been skilled enough to avoid that though. It's also possible she did send out an SOS. I've watched all of the drone footage, and if she did fall into a crevasse or the lake, or down a hill, her mom's video report said they have not found any of her gear, no poles, no backpack, no clothing, etc. Even if she slipped and fell, you'd think something like that would be laying out somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leahruss