WA WA - Seattle, WhtFem 30-50, 159UFWA, alias 'Mary Anderson', copper IUD, breast surgery scars, Oct'96

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Oops. Scratch the abdominal scar. Too many cases :D The spy ring sounded quite intriguing with method of death, but question her leaving the note, seemingly making it unrelated. Sure adds to the intrigue. She lacked an accent, but maybe she felt she betrayed her Country... hmmm... Canada? Maybe you were somehow onto something with that before. It still seems like she would have connections to people in everyday life and a doctor somewhere.

Oops. Scratch the abdominal scar. Too many cases :D The spy ring sounded quite intriguing with method of death, but question her leaving the note, seemingly making it unrelated. Sure adds to the intrigue. She lacked an accent, but maybe she felt she betrayed her Country... hmmm... Canada? Maybe you were somehow onto something with that before. It still seems like she would have connections to people in everyday life and a doctor somewhere.

Perhaps the note and everything pertaining to her as a person was to throw everyone off intentionally. If she was a Russian spy, perhaps she spent many years doing so, even starting young. Maybe the breast implants were paid for by her country's covert agency to help blend in and look like an American woman, to go with the flow. Perhaps she was to seduce men and have intimate relations with them in order to gather intelligence, hence the IUD so she would not get pregnant on the job. Maybe, later on, she was told to get rid of the implants to keep up with changing her looks every few years.

Here is an LA Times article about Oregon native, Harold Nicholson, who worked for the CIA and was a Russian spy. This article is from November 1996, the time he was arrested, one month after Mary Anderson's death. He was wiring money given to him by the Russians to his Oregon account.

Also, one year before the 2010 Seattle Spy Ring made the news, he was still working for the Russians behind bars in Oregon. And he did it with the help of his youngest son. Back in 1996 he and his wife were going through a divorce and they had property in Washington State.

Was Mary Anderson somehow involved in this? Did she come from Oregon to Seattle one month before this event? Was she alerted that something big was going down and instructions were given to her? Was she asked or willing to die for her country as a spy by erasing all her clandestine activities and connections, maybe even relating to this? This article proves there was Russian spy activity related to the Pacific Northwest region at that time.

http://articles.latimes.com/1996-11-20/news/mn-1010_1_laura-nicholson

Perhaps the note and everything pertaining to her as a person was to throw everyone off intentionally. If she was a Russian spy, perhaps she spent many years doing so, even starting young. Maybe the breast implants were paid for by her country's covert agency to help blend in and look like an American woman, to go with the flow. Perhaps she was to seduce men and have intimate relations with them in order to gather intelligence, hence the IUD so she would not get pregnant on the job. Maybe, later on, she was told to get rid of the implants to keep up with changing her looks every few years.
All interesting theories, Kodiak. And the thought about charities was a good one too, Woodland. It seems like she packed clothing that traveled well and didn't require ironing, yet she had one. While on one hand, it just might be something you pack, most motels/hotels, and especially upscale ones will have irons so it still seems odd she carried one. Add weight to luggage, unless it rolled, and that's kinda 3 strikes on the iron one would think, yet there it was. Bibles are another motel/hotel standard. Could she have taken the bible and iron from another motel? What do we know about the 'bags'? Bags could be shopping bags, carpet bags, luggage. Was it upscale? New? On another note, I wonder if they kept any samples from her that could be used to do a water/geo tagging history for her.

All interesting theories, Kodiak. And the thought about charities was a good one too, Woodland. It seems like she packed clothing that traveled well and didn't require ironing, yet she had one. While on one hand, it just might be something you pack, most motels/hotels, and especially upscale ones will have irons so it still seems odd she carried one. Add weight to luggage, unless it rolled, and that's kinda 3 strikes on the iron one would think, yet there it was. Bibles are another motel/hotel standard. Could she have taken the bible and iron from another motel? What do we know about the 'bags'? Bags could be shopping bags, carpet bags, luggage. Was it upscale? New? On another note, I wonder if they kept any samples from her that could be used to do a water/geo tagging history for her.

Great observations, Pias. The iron is a puzzling factor on why she would have it. Hotel Vintage Park is a beautiful boutique hotel. Their website does list having irons and ironing boards, but maybe they did not have them in 1996. http://www.hotelvintagepark.com

It's possible she got the iron and Bible from another hotel, but from my notes, the one she had was a family Bible. Family Bibles are a little larger and more expensive. The police stated they found no family surname in the Bible. Plus, hotel Bibles are much smaller and standard size and are usually Gideon Hotel Bibles which are found in mostly all hotels.

I think all her luggage must have been a set with several pieces to accommodate it all. From research, I found: "Two to several luggage bags."

I wish everything was photographed and in NamUs. It would really help. I still haven't heard anything back from the Medical Examiner's Office. Maybe I will try again next week.

I forgot to add, while an iron might be something one packs when they are a 'good packer' it seems redundant for every reason, up and to the fact she intended suicide.

If you do not yet know, could you ask if they kept any teeth and could do the water geo test? I know she was cremated, but did they hold back some things perhaps?

I forgot to add, while an iron might be something one packs when they are a 'good packer' it seems redundant for every reason, up and to the fact she intended suicide.

Especially when flying... the weight of an iron in a bag or suitcase. If Mary Anderson was covert, maybe she never really lived in one single place in the U.S. Maybe she was always on the go, from place to place, maybe never living in one place for long periods of time, renting houses or apartments for a few months or years then moving on to the next clandestine assignment.

If you do not yet know, could you ask if they kept any teeth and could do the water geo test? I know she was cremated, but did they hold back some things perhaps?

Actually, her body was buried. That was so if she was ever identified and claimed, a relative could have her exhumed and taken home to be buried elsewhere.

What is the water geo test?

Here is a bit about that type of testing, although its another country. I just grabbed the first one I found to share for anyone who has never heard of it. Basic fundamentals of the tooth/Geo tagging:

The tooth test, conducted by the National Environment Research Council Isotope Geosciences Laboratory of the British Geological Survey at Nottingham (http://www.bgs.ac.uk/nigl/) involved a comparison of the strontium and oxygen isotopes found in tooth enamel. The ratio of these isotopes, which are found in everyone's teeth, compared with the ratio of isotopes found in drinking water in different regions can help determine where an individual lived when their teeth were forming during childhood.

I think Mary had at least one child probably a son. I think there was a huge falling out. The son probably said mom your out my life until you get it together. Mary was angry and distaught the suicide was the result of wanting to show him. I don't think she was reported missing cause she was cast out and whom ever does not even have a clue.

of course this is just my opinion and just a theory.

Here is a bit about that type of testing, although its another country. I just grabbed the first one I found to share for anyone who has never heard of it. Basic fundamentals of the tooth/Geo tagging:

The tooth test, conducted by the National Environment Research Council Isotope Geosciences Laboratory of the British Geological Survey at Nottingham (http://www.bgs.ac.uk/nigl/) involved a comparison of the strontium and oxygen isotopes found in tooth enamel. The ratio of these isotopes, which are found in everyone's teeth, compared with the ratio of isotopes found in drinking water in different regions can help determine where an individual lived when their teeth were forming during childhood.

VERY interesting! Thank you for sharing and will make sure to ask the medical examiner about it if and when they get back to me.

Actually, her body was buried. That was so if she was ever identified and claimed, a relative could have her exhumed and taken home to be buried elsewhere.

What is the water geo test?

Sorry. You are so right of course. The word I read was embalmed, for some reason my mind translated it as cremated, I think cuz usually embalming isn't mentioned. Don't ask me. I just think here. Occasionally :D Sounds like they would still have a good chance to ID her then. That is good news. DNA might work for a U.S. citizen, and water test might work for a more global aspect, or, if she really didn't have family and may have had no DNA to be compared to (or was adopted so her real kin would be unaware and therefore no donated sample in the db to locate her identity). Any variety of reasons could still make the water test a valuable asset or backup in case no DNA hit was found once/if they do it.

Pias, your project map is very detailed and thorough. Nice job. It's really impressive and will be a vital asset and tool to all websleuthers. There were some interesting cases I had not heard of before. I wish you lots of success with this. I also bookmarked it for myself as well.

Great info on the map concerning Mary Amos. Your detailed info confirmed... for the third time today... that it appears no one, not even the state of California knows Amos' correct birth date. She is either older or younger at the time of her disappearance in 1968. Ugh! How frustrating! And with that, there is nothing in newspaper archives about her missing. Zilch!

And what amazes me is that with all the confusion and lack of knowledge of her being missing, there is DNA available listed for her on NamUs. There's DNA, but no info on how old she is, her birth date, when she was last seen... but there is DNA???!!! A very strange and confusing case.

I still have the advice about approach from Tricia Griffith and her websleuth colleague for submitting a Possible Match. What do you all think? I need to have Websurfer take a look at all this again.

Do any of you think that Mary Amos could be Mary Anderson?

Both have the same height, hair color, initials and share the same first name, and both used aliases. It seems both women were on the move or run because of the use of those aliases. One's disappearance was mysterious as was the death of another. Is there a connection and link?

These were the photos I took in late August 2010. Some were posted a few pages back in my 2010 posts. But, I never realized there was a HUGE maple tree out in front of the hotel. And I was even standing underneath one across the street when I took the photo.

I also took a video that morning that produced a snapshot photo of the U.S. Courthouse across the street from the hotel on the same side. Notice again all the maple trees that would have been there in 1996. Could these trees in any of these photos be the ones where Mary Anderson got the maple leaves?

And the weather, too. It was 80 degrees that morning on August 2010 and this is what it would have looked when Mary Anderson arrived on that 80 degree day on October 9, 1996.

Hotel_Vintage_Park.jpg Hotel_Vintage_Park4.jpgL1000644.jpgL1000645.jpg
L1000647.jpg

I think Mary had at least one child probably a son. I think there was a huge falling out. The son probably said mom your out my life until you get it together. Mary was angry and distaught the suicide was the result of wanting to show him. I don't think she was reported missing cause she was cast out and whom ever does not even have a clue.

of course this is just my opinion and just a theory.

That's a good theory however, the coroner who examined the body determined that the UID never bore any children and had an IUD in place at the time of autopsy. Seems to me like she didn't wan't any children.

Speaking of IUD's;
I wonder if the coroner kept the one that he found in our UID. It seems like in Canada and the US Paragard is the only IUD mfr in the area. We can figure out which model number it is from the picture, size and shape. Then determine when it was implanted because they'll only make a certain model for a limited time and then come out with a new one. From there we can determine WHERE it was shipped to and narrow down the region she was from.

edit:
This shouldn't be hard to figure out where. As a whole, the use of the IUD in the last 10 years is only 5.5% of those who choose to use contraceptives. In the 90s it was probably even less popular.

On August 2, 1995, Ortho-McNeil acquired GynoPharma and began marketing ParaGard in the U.S.
The ParaGard T-380A is an IUD with copper, manufactured and marketed in the United States by Duramed Pharmaceuticals. It is the only copper-containing intrauterine device approved for use in the U.S.
Per:
Paragard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Copper IUDs are much more popular globally than in the US. They're very cost effective and easier to implant than other similar forms of BC. I wouldn't automatically assume it's a Paragard. IUDs are often used by nonprofit type groups because they're so cheap, reliable and almost zero maintenance as opposed to getting pills out monthly etc. I bet she got hers out of the US.

Kodiak - with so much conflicting information on Mary Amos, why not check her against this UID?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee
Back