WA WA - Seattle, WhtFem 30-50, 159UFWA, alias 'Mary Anderson', copper IUD, breast surgery scars, Oct'96

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If there have been so many errors, then and now with Amos, it's possible that we must question if her birth year listed is even correct. With the Mary Anderson case, I am, as of this week, to the point where I'm now venturing outside the the coroner's age range of 33-45 years of age. I think it's time we should start looking a little outside the box.

I have even recently shown Mary Anderson's sketch and death photos to females that I know. Most of them said she appears between 40-60 years in age, three of them said over sixty. You have to remember, this case investigation wasn't that thorough.

But doesn't the coroner estimate the possible age by the bone analysis? I just hope that the results of a possible age range was inputted correctly.

Yea, I would say that the aging in the photograph may also have something to do with the cyanide attacking soft tissues of the face. Maybe the only reason why the UID is estimated so much younger is because of the bone and organ analysis.

They note she had no particular accent. Again, sounds pacific NW to me or roughly/loosely speaking. Maybe she graduated in the area? Moved to NY for many years, returned? Perhaps looking for graduates in nearby HS or Colleges? Or, recent obits on other Anderson's? Perhaps it was a maiden name? Again, if she actually used a fake name, that is unlikely. But, if she had come about an estate, perhaps obits have noted something similar to 'only child' or 'sole survivor' as it relates to any name and a female heir?

The iron, it had came to me, could have been to iron the maple leaf? Had they maple trees planted outside? What type of maple might be helpful? And what color as well. The date she collected it may have been evident by its color, and its meaning, evident by its type? I had read the 'maple leaf' meanings post which could again circle back to NY, but if it was a japanese maple, that would likely say something different. It also dawns on me that she was not a 'fit' woman, so I question her as a 'mistress,' especially if she was the one with money, or if she was a 'kept woman,' what would have been the attraction. No offense meant. Just looking at obvious factors that to me, seem to eliminate those possibilities, seeming more to be with losing a husband, and perhaps they honeymooned there when they married, or losing parents, perhaps entire family, to something? (She never had children), so in family I mean parents/siblings). Seems like if we check archives for around these times as they relate to other deaths, I wonder if it would help? WA and NY.

The iron, it had came to me, could have been to iron the maple leaf? Had they maple trees planted outside? What type of maple might be helpful? And what color as well. The date she collected it may have been evident by its color, and its meaning, evident by its type? I had read the 'maple leaf' meanings post which could again circle back to NY, but if it was a japanese maple, that would likely say something different. It also dawns on me that she was not a 'fit' woman, so I question her as a 'mistress,' especially if she was the one with money, or if she was a 'kept woman,' what would have been the attraction. No offense meant. Just looking at obvious factors that to me, seem to eliminate those possibilities, seeming more to be with losing a husband, and perhaps they honeymooned there when they married, or losing parents, perhaps entire family, to something? (She never had children), so in family I mean parents/siblings). Seems like if we check archives for around these times as they relate to other deaths, I wonder if it would help? WA and NY.
That's what I thought too. Maybe she was a broken-hearted young widow that couldn't stand to be alone anymore.

What would be good to know is where the cab driver picked her up. It might tell us if she came by ship plane or train. Then if it were near any of the preceding, looking up arrivals prior to her time of making cab arrangements would help as she would likely make arrangements fairly short of her arrival if traveling. If he picked her up from a residential area or the area of other motels, that might tell us something else entirely. What might they have spoke about during the drive, or what might the cabby have observed about her, such as in her mood? Did she look like she had been crying? Did she smile at all? Avoid eye contact? It seems like the cabby/cab company would have been able to provide helpful information you would think, which perhaps they did, but for some reason, it is not being shared? Seems a shame in either case as the case remains unsolved.

What would be good to know is where the cab driver picked her up. It might tell us if she came by ship plane or train. Then if it were near any of the preceding, looking up arrivals prior to her time of making cab arrangements would help as she would likely make arrangements fairly short of her arrival if traveling. If he picked her up from a residential area or the area of other motels, that might tell us something else entirely. What might they have spoke about during the drive, or what might the cabby have observed about her, such as in her mood? Did she look like she had been crying? Did she smile at all? Avoid eye contact? It seems like the cabby/cab company would have been able to provide helpful information you would think, which perhaps they did, but for some reason, it is not being shared? Seems a shame in either case as the case remains unsolved.
Well, I know that she planned all this out but I keep thinking that she might have left an ID or somesort in the cab itself. I wonder if her ID is just out there floating around the police station because someone turned it in after finding it.

Looking at Mary Amos' details in NamUs... this really strange.

I am comparing the info and poster they now have on her case in the system. I'm also comparing the poster to the former NamUs poster I have from 2010. In the new poster, they have omitted her birth date and NCIC number. Perhaps I was right, they must not know her exact year of birth or possibly her birth date. And a California missing person page says he wasn't reported missing until 1991?

But Pias was right, she's definitely listed in NamUs as last seen December 31, 1968. I had also wondered because of the '68 year that she could have been a victim of the Zodiac killer? But, San Bernardino was way too far south, out his killing play ground.

There are numerous factors that resemble the cases of Mary Amos and Mary Anderson. Both used aliases, especially Amos. Both had dental plates, brown hair and were 5'7". I wonder if Mary Anderson had a vertical scar on her belly?

Now, I will go back in time to do some Mary Amos newspaper research...

I'm not even sure Seattle police even investigated this, where she came from. This is usually one of the first things that police find out, especially since she took a cab to the hotel.

But she may not have flown in and may have come by ferry... see my post, #228 from a few days ago...

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - WA WA - Seattle, WhtFem 159UFWA, 33-45, Suicide in Hotel -Alias: "Mary Anderson", Oct'96

I would reckon to guess that if she went to the trouble to be undetected, then she went with it all the way. It is odd, that if she had no one, that she would leave strange things behind that would be viewed as clues. Had she left clues, and if she had, to whom? And why wouldn't they be simpler to interpret if she wished to be 'discovered'? If you are not from the area, then whom would you expect to hope to 'get the message'? If she left a message or clues, why? Why that way? And who that she would know would see it? If her husband had left her for another woman, for example, wouldn't he have stepped forward to way that is my ex-wife? If she were a mistress, I doubt breast reduction would be considered over, say, lipo or stapling her stomach if weight had been a mental or marital issue for her. If she had breast reduction, it seems possible the may have had back problems? Perhaps her family died of breast cancer and she lost her father early in life or never knew him. Perhaps, if she never had cancer herself, she could have had her breasts removed as a precautionary measure? Maybe when she had her surgery, she still had some family left. She also chose birth control and breast surgery over a hysterectomy. She has for some reason made that choice over others. Interesting and perhaps somehow of value? idk. Just throwing it out there.

Well, I know that she planned all this out but I keep thinking that she might have left an ID or somesort in the cab itself. I wonder if her ID is just out there floating around the police station because someone turned it in after finding it.

She may have discarded her ID and personal info immediately upon arrival into town, or flushed it all down the toilet when she got to the hotel room.

I would reckon to guess that if she went to the trouble to be undetected, then she went with it all the way. It is odd, that if she had no one, that she would leave strange things behind that would be viewed as clues. Had she left clues, and if she had, to whom? And why wouldn't they be simpler to interpret if she wished to be 'discovered'? If you are not from the area, then whom would you expect to hope to 'get the message'? If she left a message or clues, why? Why that way? And who that she would know would see it? If her husband had left her for another woman, for example, wouldn't he have stepped forward to way that is my ex-wife? If she were a mistress, I doubt breast reduction would be considered over, say, lipo or stapling her stomach if weight had been a mental or marital issue for her. If she had breast reduction, it seems possible the may have had back problems? Perhaps her family died of breast cancer and she lost her father early in life or never knew him. Perhaps, if she never had cancer herself, she could have had her breasts removed as a precautionary measure? Maybe when she had her surgery, she still had some family left. She also chose birth control and breast surgery over a hysterectomy. She has for some reason made that choice over others. Interesting and perhaps somehow of value? idk. Just throwing it out there.

Exactly. This also goes with what I was saying a few posts back... perhaps she deliberately changed her appearance; hair color and style, and makeup days before her death to be seen looking totally different to the public and hotel staff, and upon her death bed. Perhaps this went even further... maybe she deliberately gained excessive weight since the time she went missing or left her home locale or gained it quickly before death as part of the "unrecognizable" plan?!

I probably should have said it better this way. What was her abdominal scar a result of? Appendectomy? Stomach stapling? Gallbladder? Kidney stones? We do know it wasn't a hysterectomy. Was it even surgical? That's one down and several to go. Her physician knows who she was. About the coat. She was a bigger woman, perhaps she bought and wore that coat on her own and it belonged only to her. Perhaps, no matter who owned it, she did come by boat as it would be cold and a coat like that would be nice to have in a boat/ferry/ship. You would think, if she came from the San Juans she would have been identified. I thought she looks French Canadian, but they said she had no particular accent, so I kinda discounted it, but since we're talking a little about the Canada possibility, just thought I'd throw that out there. I read Canadian-American authorities looked into it so idk, or if you can even look French Canadian for that matter :D

Here is a new colorization image of the Mary Anderson sketch. I cleaned up the dark circles around her eyes and added makeup.

Attachments

• Mary Anderson_colorization_with_makup.jpg
    Mary Anderson_colorization_with_makup.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 67
About her photo. I had supposed her lip looks like that either post mortem? Or, stroke? Like, could she have been going through too many medical issues, for example and just got tired cuz now it even affected her face? idk. She was into makeup. Could she have had a slight vein streak of some kind? It doesn't seem like it though because of her weight. It is very confusing message she sends us. Perplexing.

About her photo. I had supposed her lip looks like that either post mortem? Or, stroke?

In the actual death photo they do not look like, it seems that the artist emphasized them more in the sketch.

When I typed into google: Special issue comes with maple leaf, a ton of Canadian maple stuff came up, but they do not say she had Canadian money. Perhaps she even went to the trouble to only have American money if she was Canadian and didn't want to be discovered, but then why the leaf? She loved Canada? Then she would have chose to die there, would she not? Not leave it. No pun intended.

I probably should have said it better this way. What was her abdominal scar a result of? Appendectomy? Stomach stapling? Gallbladder? Kidney stones? We do know it wasn't a hysterectomy. Was it even surgical? That's one down and several to go. Her physician knows who she was. About the coat. She was a bigger woman, perhaps she bought and wore that coat on her own and it belonged only to her. Perhaps, no matter who owned it, she did come by boat as it would be cold and a coat like that would be nice to have in a boat/ferry/ship. You would think, if she came from the San Juans she would have been identified. I thought she looks French Canadian, but they said she had no particular accent, so I kinda discounted it, but since we're talking a little about the Canada possibility, just thought I'd throw that out there. I read Canadian-American authorities looked into it so idk, or if you can even look French Canadian for that matter :D

Now, I haven't come across that Mary Anderson had any abdomen scars, but Mary Amos's records state that she did, but did not state the reason. So that was what I wondering... if Mary Anderson had any as well.

I, too, was thinking the same about the coat, she could have worn the men's jacket for herself. I found the jacket online a few days ago, if that was the one she wore by the same brand.

When I typed into google: Special issue comes with maple leaf, a ton of Canadian maple stuff came up, but they do not say she had Canadian money. Perhaps she even went to the trouble to only have American money if she was Canadian and didn't want to be discovered, but then why the leaf? She loved Canada? Then she would have chose to die there, would she not? Not leave it. No pun intended.

Now, perhaps you are right as you said before... she may have pressed the maple leaf or leaves with the iron. When I walk by the hotel when I'm in downtown Seattle, the U.S. Courthouse across the street (and on the same side of the hotel on 5th avenue) has several maple trees around the grounds and steps. Those tree were there in 1996 and they are the only maples in vicinity to the hotel.

In the Seattle article "The Cipher in Room 214" Who was Mary Anderson and why did she die?, the article also alludes to Mary Anderson being a spy and to possibly having family:

Her skill at hiding her identity may have been its own clue. Could she have worked for an
intelligence operation? Was she a spy?

"That's entirely possible," said Marquis, now the medical examiner for Snohomish
County. Her appearance was vaguely Eastern European, although her command of the
written English language indicated that she was a native speaker, he said.
He also wouldn't rule out that she had family, despite her note.

"When people tell me that, I automatically don't believe it," he said. "It's more a request
not to look."

Marquis believes that she was likely familiar with Seattle and had been to the hotel
before, perhaps had a significant memory associated with it. The ZIP code she wrote in
the hotel registry was for Astoria, N.Y., but checks there didn't reveal
any information.

I'm starting to really think she was a spy, and perhaps Russian, and might have been with the early development of the Russian Spy Ring in Seattle that came to light in 2010.

http://www.carollsmith.com/pdf/cipher.pdf

Fwiw, this is my take on 'Mary's' arrival at the Seattle hotel.

In order to hide her identity, I think she came from quite a distance using various modes of transportation. This would account for the number of outfits she had with her, and possibly the iron. Even though the clothing was velour and unlikely to wrinkle, a smart gal would tuck one in her luggage anyway. I think each night 'Mary' traveled to Seattle, she was miles and miles away from where she spent the night before.

I don't think 'Mary' was in a hurry - she had her plan and had disposed of most of her belongings. She took the time to hang up the clothing she still had - died the way she always lived?

Possibly a charity received an anonymous donation shortly before or soon after 9 Oct 1996?

A smart gal looking to hide her identity would use 2 cabs in Seattle - one from her mode of arrival to nowhere in particular (possibly early in the day) and a second one to the hotel. Difficult to backtrack.

I doubt May flew into Seattle - seems to me she would have been ID'd.

Wonder what Mary would have done if room 214 was already occupied for that night?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k2910
Back