Found Safe WA - Seraya Aung Harmon, 2, Pullman, 29 May 2024 *father and daughter went on a fishing trip in Montana but did not return* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
We still have due process though. A charge is a charge but not a conviction. Hopefully people serving as jurors understand that although sometimes they don't. Sometimes people think "he wouldn't have been charged unless he was guilty." (Pretty horrifying to hear a fellow juror say that!)

The terms "custodial parent" and "non-custodial parent" aren't typically used the way you've described them. It may be simple but I don't think it's accurate.
MOO
He's charged with "custodial interference." Whether he was custodial or non-custodial doesn't matter, really, imo. Rather, it's the fact he interfered and prevented the custodial transfer.

It's a felony charge, as we've discussed.

FWIW, juries are instructed to what the charges are. From my observation, they understand and take their roles seriously. When the jury doesn't find the expected verdict, it's usually because the charges didn't match the evidence, which shows the jury paid attention. imo

jmo

We still have due process though. A charge is a charge but not a conviction. Hopefully people serving as jurors understand that although sometimes they don't. Sometimes people think "he wouldn't have been charged unless he was guilty." (Pretty horrifying to hear a fellow juror say that!)

Based on the fact there are tons of facts we don't yet know I have to agree with your position on this. Of course on the surface it looks one way, but it looks that way to a bunch of us true crime followers who usually see the worst of people in these cases. And then sometimes a case comes along and the facts are literally the opposite (or just completely wrong) of whatever everyone suspected. The Heidi Broussard case is a prime example of that but there are many others.

jmo

He's charged with "custodial interference." Whether he was custodial or non-custodial doesn't matter, really, imo. Rather, it's the fact he interfered and prevented the custodial transfer.

FWIW, juries are instructed to what the charges are. From my observation, they understand and take their roles seriously. When the jury doesn't find the expected verdict, it's usually because the charges didn't match the evidence, which shows the jury paid attention. imo

jmo
The established facts in a case always matter.
He isn't a non-custodial parent, he has shared custody via court order.
He also illegally interefered in the transfer of custody so now comes the felony charge, but that charge doesn't change the court order of shared custody. That will come later, no doubt, regardless of the reason he didn't return baby girl.
I can't imagine he doesn't already know this, so my best guess is, he'll stay gone as long as possible.

jmo

Based on the fact there are tons of facts we don't yet know I have to agree with your position on this. Of course on the surface it looks one way, but it looks that way to a bunch of us true crime followers who usually see the worst of people in these cases. And then sometimes a case comes along and the facts are literally the opposite (or just completely wrong) of whatever everyone suspected. The Heidi Broussard case is a prime example of that but there are many others.

jmo
I recall the opposite, too. I left the Sherri Papini thread because I truly thought her disappearance was a hoax but we couldn't speculate on that as it was outside the known facts. Still, it was true.

In this case, however, he is already charged with the felony of custodial interference. That is not speculation on our part.

jmo

The terms "custodial parent" and "non-custodial parent" aren't typically used the way you've described them. It may be simple but I don't think it's accurate.
MOO
of course there is due process - fact remains that he absconded with Seraya and hasn’t returned her to her mother as he was supposed to weeks ago.

<modsnip - rude>

Last edited by a moderator:

jmo
"He wouldn't have been charged unless he was guilty" came from a juror I served with on a murder jury. It was made during deliberations after a week-long trial. I've spoken to other people who've had the same shocking experience. I do agree most jurors try to do a good job.

Leaving personal experiences aside, it seems there have been a number of non-opinion statements made here appearing to suggest AA's guilt has been established as a fact, that the charge itself is strong evidence he did the crime. And those things are simply not true.
MOO

Phones allow authorities to track. Leaving the phone shows preplanning IMO. If it were spur of the moment call or text from Aung, she would have been communicating with him while waiting at the airport with her family. If this was spur of the moment, she would have had to think it it was a serious emergency, then hide her distress from her family while she and Aung hatched a plan, and had the foresight to leave her phone. She would have also needed to know the public transportation schedule and stops - if she was a local maybe she already knew. News articles say there is footage of her boarding the light rail, but none about her departure from light rail.
Earlier posts indicated that Aung and her communicated with burner phones. I believe the running with Aung’s child was planned or at least discussed but the timing was likely unplanned.

Earlier posts indicated that Aung and her communicated with burner phones. I believe the running with Aung’s child was planned or at least discussed but the timing was likely u planned.
We don't really know if they communicated with burner phones but people hypothesized in some posts that might be the case. And burner phones would suggested planning if that's what they did.
MOO

If she didn't have a burner phone when she left the airport because it wasn't preplanned, it could still be pulled off in one of two ways that I can think of. Option one, she knows his number by heart, or writes it down and carries it with her. Buys a burner phone somewhere downtown after she gets off the light rail and reestablishes contact. Option two, they make a quick plan to meet at an unmistakable location whenever he gets there, and she trusts that nothing will go wrong in the intervening time when there won't be any contact. This might be supported by where she exited the light rail. Even if Aaron wasn't perfectly familiar with the city, he could easily find the ferry terminal or any of the waterfront tourist attractions, and she wouldn't need an address to give him. MOO.

Earlier posts indicated that Aung and her communicated with burner phones. I believe the running with Aung’s child was planned or at least discussed but the timing was likely unplanned.

I think it was just speculation on our part that burner phones could be involved. I never saw any MSM/LE sources on that.

If she didn't have a burner phone when she left the airport because it wasn't preplanned, it could still be pulled off in one of two ways that I can think of. Option one, she knows his number by heart, or writes it down and carries it with her. Buys a burner phone somewhere downtown after she gets off the light rail and reestablishes contact. Option two, they make a quick plan to meet at an unmistakable location whenever he gets there, and she trusts that nothing will go wrong in the intervening time when there won't be any contact. This might be supported by where she exited the light rail. Even if Aaron wasn't perfectly familiar with the city, he could easily find the ferry terminal or any of the waterfront tourist attractions, and she wouldn't need an address to give him. MOO.
I pretty much posted the exact same scenario a while back - about the downtown landmarks as a meet up spot.
To me it just makes the most sense, that they'd meet up somewhere down near the water.

jmo

Yes, that is the charge. The post I was responding to (yours, I believe) incorrectly stated he is a "non-custodial" parent. That's simply not true. He & SH have shared custody. As others have also noted, he eventually may lose the shared custody he has now. But a charge (for not returning the child when he was supposed to) doesn't automatically negate the existing court-approved shared custody agreement.
MOO
It was probably me who started saying that incorrectly. I wasn't really aware of the correct definition of the term and I just used it loosely.

I'm glad you mentioned the correct usage.

The longer this goes on (nearly 4 weeks now) the more I am convinced they had to have planned this well in advance, probably when the custody dispute really got rocking and rolling. And when I say "they" I mean his parents, maybe NC is involved but moreso the parents I am guessing. So as much as the Aungs want to control what happens with Seraya, the parents want to control what happens with Aaron. So they are all over his disappearance and LE will find them when they trace the funding and/or communication. Tick tock.

How national is this case because if it isn't getting national attention, it is possible for them to go almost anywhere and not be noticed. (I have not heard it on the News in my area) The more national attention the harder it is to hide. They have to buy diapers, food, have a place to stay, etc. How are they paying for such items? If Aungs are paying for it, how? Although I am hopeful and pray nightly for them to be found alive especially the little girl. My outlook for this case is quite grim at this point.

How national is this case because if it isn't getting national attention, it is possible for them to go almost anywhere and not be noticed. (I have not heard it on the News in my area) The more national attention the harder it is to hide. They have to buy diapers, food, have a place to stay, etc. How are they paying for such items? If Aungs are paying for it, how? Although I am hopeful and pray nightly for them to be found alive especially the little girl. My outlook for this case is quite grim at this point.

If this was planned, it's possible that AA did not wait somewhere for NC. What if her mom went to the bathroom with her? What if she had to try a different ruse? What if she couldn't get away, ushered right on the plane? Was NC's break away vital to AA's plan or just an add-on?

I think it's reasonable to assume they had help, at every step, planning, execution, and destination.

And that opens up possibilities. Extended family. Extended families. Possibility of family overseas.

Toddler goes one way. AA goes another. NC yet another. Fake passports, they get on separate flights practically before anyone knows they're missing. AA and Seheadscarf. five days headstart. NC didn't, but her family didn't realize right away ... and wouldn't imagine she'd turn right around and, say, fly with a new family/group of people.

Complicated paper trail but, if there's one to be found, the FBI will find it.

I hope LE worked its magic and watched to see if she looped back and re-entered the airport. Or the next airport. IMO it's too obvious if the three of them attempted to travel together. So.... maybe she disguised herself by traveling with a couple women, for example.

If they are now housed with extended family, they're not out shopping for diapers and food. The family is.

They could have been planning this for months.

JMO

They disappeared close to a month ago and we know zip, zero, nada about how they pulled it off or where they are.
I am still hoping that the silence means LE has leads and are following them and do not need the public's help. I am also hopeful this all means the child is not in actual danger (though being held illegally).

Hope, hope, hope.

jmo

If this was planned, it's possible that AA did not wait somewhere for NC. What if her mom went to the bathroom with her? What if she had to try a different ruse? What if she couldn't get away, ushered right on the plane? Was NC's break away vital to AA's plan or just an add-on?

I think it's reasonable to assume they had help, at every step, planning, execution, and destination.

And that opens up possibilities. Extended family. Extended families. Possibility of family overseas.

Toddler goes one way. AA goes another. NC yet another. Fake passports, they get on separate flights practically before anyone knows they're missing. AA and Seheadscarf. five days headstart. NC didn't, but her family didn't realize right away ... and wouldn't imagine she'd turn right around and, say, fly with a new family/group of people.

Complicated paper trail but, if there's one to be found, the FBI will find it.

I hope LE worked its magic and watched to see if she looped back and re-entered the airport. Or the next airport. IMO it's too obvious if the three of them attempted to travel together. So.... maybe she disguised herself by traveling with a couple women, for example.

If they are now housed with extended family, they're not out shopping for diapers and food. The family is.

They could have been planning this for months.

JMO
Excellent point about the departure from the airport. What if it didn't work?

I don't think they flew anywhere because that could be tracked and getting fake IDs to pass security might be beyond their capabilities (I would hope so anyway!). I think they are within USA, but that is just a guess.

jmo

Given that Nadia was last seen at University and 3rd, walking towards the waterfront, I can’t help but feel like she really could have gone anywhere once she got off of the light rail. There are bus stops located around there and parking garages as well. There are also surface lots down towards to the water and if I recall correctly, the ferries are nearby as well. It makes for a great area to meet up for those taking public transportation. If burner phones were not involved, maybe they both just planned in advance to meet up at certain time in nearby parking garage where Aaron’s family stashed a vehicle, disguises and other supplies for them. Or maybe someone in his family picked them up and took them somewhere? I have no idea, just spitballing here…

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back