Found Safe WA - Seraya Aung Harmon, 2, Pullman, 29 May 2024 *father and daughter went on a fishing trip in Montana but did not return* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Not much to see just yet, but here is the link to AA's case on Docketbird.

USA v. Aung
Criminal Court Docket Sheet

Eastern District of Washington

2:2024-mj-00442 (waed)

07/29/2024
Charges and Penalties as to Aaron Aung (1). (MO, Courtroom Deputy)

07/29/2024
AFFIDAVIT re [1] Criminal Complaint as to Aaron Aung (1). (MO, Courtroom Deputy)

07/29/2024
CRIMINAL COMPLAINT as to Aaron Aung (1). (MO, Courtroom Deputy)

glad to see charges against him
and his parents should be charged with assisting him
Nadia should obviously be charged as well but she probably co-operated to get out of her charges
I'm glad to see charges, too, but this is one area where I wish our justice system would adopt a different means of punishment.

If AA goes to prison, it will be satisfying, but it will leave Samara without the ability to collect monthly child support from him. That punishes her and Seraya as well.

There has to be a better way to punish parents who break the law without financially damaging the other parent and child(ren).

I want justice for Samara and Seraya. To me, that would be eliminating all of AA's visitation unless it was in a supervised facility and garnishing his wages at 50% for child support. People will say that's not humane, but I don't like the idea of punishing the victims even more than they've already suffered. MOO

I'm glad to see charges, too, but this is one area where I wish our justice system would adopt a different means of punishment.

If AA goes to prison, it will be satisfying, but it will leave Samara without the ability to collect monthly child support from him. That punishes her and Seraya as well.

There has to be a better way to punish parents who break the law without financially damaging the other parent and child(ren).

I want justice for Samara and Seraya. To me, that would be eliminating all of AA's visitation unless it was in a supervised facility and garnishing his wages at 50% for child support. People will say that's not humane, but I don't like the idea of punishing the victims even more than they've already suffered. MOO
While he is incarcerated they can put an encumberment on his account which takes x % of any money deposited from the outside or his wages.

While he is incarcerated they can put an encumberment on his account which takes x % of any money deposited from the outside or his wages.
Per the link below, last year the law in Washington was changed to raise the minimum wage in the state's prisons from 42¢/hour to $1/hour. Some jobs-- like making license plates--can pay up to $2.85/hr.

Low wages, high costs: WA prisoners say they’re being exploited

Not sure withholding money from even the higher wage job pay will make much of a difference in child support. On the other hand, mandating outside wages be garnished at 50% may not be fair either. While it's not the case here, often parents who break the law are responsible for providing for more than one child from more than one household.
MOO

Per the link below, last year the law in Washington was changed to raise the minimum wage in the state's prisons from 42¢/hour to $1/hour. Some jobs-- like making license plates--can pay up to $2.85/hr.

Not sure withholding money from even the higher wage job pay will make much of a difference in child support. On the other hand, mandating outside wages be garnished at 50% may not be fair either. While it's not the case here, often parents who break the law are responsible for providing for more than one child from more than one household.
MOO
Yea prison wages are basically nothing, but encumberments also include any money people may put on his books as well.

Yea prison wages are basically nothing, but encumberments also include any money people may put on his books as well.
Plus, it's more the principle than the amount, imo. The guy will have a constant reminder of obligations to his child that he neglected. He will be reminded he is a deadbeat and the State has to step in to take money that he should as a father provide.

jmo

MOO

pretty sure his parents and other relatives will be sending him money

pretty sure his parents and other relatives will be sending him money
Maybe so. In my post I was just addressing the issue of "garnishing" prison wages (and the idea of a law requiring 50% of wages earned outside of prison to be seized for child support.) I wasn't addressing gifts to prisoners that could be seized.
MOO

MOO
Good observations! At the higher minimum wage of $1 per hour, an inmate could make a maximum of $40 per week or $160 per month. I don't think there are many lisence-plate-making jobs any longer, as most states have gone to stickers to update plates every year.

Even if AA gave Samara his entire $140 per month, it would be a drop in the bucket compared to what she would receive if he were working on the outside. So, rather than justice, Seraya and Samara get closer to poverty.

I'm just not into that. Unless a person is convicted of a violent crime and society needs to be protected from them--I'm more interested in making them work in society and pay their fair share plus retribution. I think the punishment should always come as close to fitting the crime as possible. We have millions of children of inmates who live in poverty. Taxpayers have to pick up the tab, but it's not enough to raise those kids out of poverty. I want their dads to support them. Is that so wrong?

Samara would be out money, except we already know AA wasn't paying his child support prior to the abduction so it's not like she wasn't already out money because of AA's decision not to pay it.

Samara is out money same as before, just different reasons. If she collects state benefits on Seraya's behalf then the state could later come back and sue AA for what they've had to spend on the child yes? At least I think that is how it works?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back