WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole time I've been reading about this case, I've always meant to look up the meaning/origin of little Az's name. I finally did that tonight, and the result brought a flood of tears.

Azriel: Helped by God.

Rest in peace, sweet boy.

Its odd this heavy wine bottle ended up down the beach, but her wallet remained in the vehicle.

If the bottle was half empty, it would have had quite a bit of air in it making it buoyant, whereas, the wallet may have just gotten soggy.

If she was such a super, caring mom she would have parked the van, called someone and confess to relapsing. Had someone come and help her and make sure Az was safe. The "she cared sooo much about her son that she would never put him danger" is evidently a big, fat lie! :furious:

At that point in time, she cared more about getting her buzz on. With fatal results for that poor, innocent little boy. I don't think she MEANT to kill him....but his safety and well being were certainly not her top priority that night. Why, why, why??? It's so unfair! :banghead:

The whole time I've been reading about this case, I've always meant to look up the meaning/origin of little Az's name. I finally did that tonight, and the result brought a flood of tears.

Azriel: Helped by God.

Rest in peace, sweet boy.

Bless his heart....thanks for looking this up....

If the van's front end was in the water (like I thought it was), then that could explain if it was the rear door and back hatch that were open. If the front end was closest to the water and they decided to sleep for awhile and then the tide came in, the front would maybe start filling up with water first if it was at a downward incline.

They did confirm it to be found in the opposite direction though. Which doesn't make sense. They wouldn't have climbed out the back if they were able to open the side doors.

If she was such a super, caring mom she would have parked the van, called someone and confess to relapsing. Had someone come and help her and make sure Az was safe. The "she cared sooo much about her son that she would never put him danger" is evidently a big, fat lie! :furious:

At that point in time, she cared more about getting her buzz on. With fatal results for that poor, innocent little boy. I don't think she MEANT to kill him....but his safety and well being were certainly not her top priority that night. Why, why, why??? It's so unfair! :banghead:

I know..stupid stupid thing she did. Im just sick over it. I wonder since she kept falling I wonder if she fell into the water, slipping on those rocks and hit her head? And the child screaming for his mom out the window decided to open the door and back window looking to see if he could find her? And he did see her and went into the water and drowned as well.

Go to link below and then click on highlighted sentence "online police scanner"

Code 911 articles are written by Kitsap Sun staff based on reports from law enforcement agencies, coroners, firefighters and prosecutors. Report a crime news tip to reporter Josh Farley or call our newsroom tip line at (360) 792-8558.

Find reports of past crimes in your neighborhood, based on data provided local law enforcement agencies on our Kitsap neighborhood crime map.

Want to know what's going on right now? You can listen to our online police scanner.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/news/local/communities/gig-harbor/crime-fire/

That scanner is on Kitsap County channel as I heard a call to Silverdale (in Kitsap). Gig Harbor is in Pierce County which is virtually non-stop traffic since it encompasses more population.

Ouchy painful feed. Did not get my headphones turned down nearly fast enough!

Hopefully the Pierce one will get itself up and running on radioreference. Kitsap is there as well and much cleaner if you want to try listening to it there.

They did confirm it to be found in the opposite direction though. Which doesn't make sense. They wouldn't have climbed out the back if they were able to open the side doors.

If they were there before the water came in, maybe they had the back open for something else? The first thing that popped into my head was stargazing. I know when I was younger we would sit or lay in the back of the van, with the back open, and watch the stars. Of course, this is near the city, so I'm not sure how many stars would have been out...

ETA: This would only make sense to me in certain circumstances. Not that I think they drove down there to watch the stars.

If the van's front end was in the water (like I thought it was), then that could explain if it was the rear door and back hatch that were open. If the front end was closest to the water and they decided to sleep for awhile and then the tide came in, the front would maybe start filling up with water first if it was at a downward incline.

I'm thinking the water outside was much higher than in the car just because it take time to fill the inside of a car. What a shocker that would be to wake up to.

I am still wrestling with the terror this child must have experienced. My god, if only he could have woke up the next morning to see the beautiful scenery at that location. Instead of the silent monster that creep in during the night to take him to his watery grave.

Oh my goodness, no. This is so incredibly sad. And to think we all watched various snippets of little Azriel's last hours on this earth. He looked like such a sweet, lively child. I can't stop thinking of him dancing for the camera, admiring the candy setup at Safeway, jumping out of the van and skipping into the store. So innocent. This never should have happened - what a horrible, senseless tragedy. And, IMO, caused by alcohol. I'm sorry but I can't help feeling anger at his mother - she chose getting buzzed over her son's life and safety. I know that sounds harsh but in essence that's what happened. I think I'm going to cry.

I still think the same scenario happened as I originally thought - the water came in, they tried to wade to shore, Shantina, in her intoxicated state fell, Azriel tried to help her, and she panicked and clumsily dragged him down with her. I know this is a victim's friendly forum and I'm so sorry for both Shantina and Azriel. But I'm just so angry too. This little boy did not deserve this, nor have any of the other victims of drunk drivers and other alcohol-related crimes. I hate alcohol, always have and always will.

I apologize if this has been posted previously, but I think this may be important

Evidently there is another possible witness; at the end of this video report a woman who lives by the beach where the van was found had awoken at 1 am to pounding on the side of her house

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Disappearance-of-Wash-family-vexes-police-87828912.html

Maybe they did all asleep on the beach in the van, and she woke up to her missing son :(

That scenario makes a lot of sense Prof.

I apologize if this has been posted previously, but I think this may be important

Evidently there is another possible witness; at the end of this video report a woman who lives by the beach where the van was found had awoken at 1 am to pounding on the side of her house

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Disappearance-of-Wash-family-vexes-police-87828912.html

Maybe they did all asleep on the beach in the van, and she woke up to her missing son :(

Yes this was posted and iirc the police had dogs there and did not pick up their scent.

One thought I had is that Mom could have left Az in the van alone sleeping so she could go somewhere for help and the tide came in and took him. But where is Mom? I guess time will tell.

I thought I read somewhere that the side door was also open.

Hi everyone- Im thinking, when the tide came in, mom was passed out due to intoxication, especially if mixed with anti-anxiety meds, like benzos... she may not have even woken up. Maybe they both got swept away as the poor little guy was trying to pull his mom out of the van. No matter what happened, its utterly heartbreaking.

Yes this was posted and iirc the police had dogs there and did not pick up their scent.

One thought I had is that Mom could have left Az in the van alone sleeping so she could go somewhere for help and the tide came in and took him. But where is Mom? I guess time will tell.

That's a good thought. He could have woke up, left the van looking for mom, went out into the water instead of to the shore and the tide took him. Mom may have came back, realized what happened and went in after. Stranger things have happened. Unless mom turns up alive, we will never know what scenario is the correct one.

I am still not convinced she was intoxicated, I don't see it in the videos. I won't say she was, I won't say she wasn't. If they don't find her, this we will never know either.

Whatever happened it is sadder than sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth