WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
NO! ITS NOT FAIR! THIS POOR BABY! NO! I can't handle this.

We need to partner with an organization to set up a hotline or something - if moms are having trouble, CALL. SOMEONE RESPONSIBLE WILL LOOK AFTER YOUR BABY. I am so tired of looking back and thinking I'D TAKE HIM! And I live alone in a small studio apartment - I know so many of you are SO MUCH more equipped, already being loving moms and grandmoms. Its just not fair! These kids deserve so much more!

WTF CAN WE DO??

According the photos I've seen, the front of the van was facing away from the water.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Nat...mom-and-son-87825797.html?gallery=y&c=y&img=1

These are great photos. I particularly like the photo that shows the tire tracks. It definitely looks like she was heading towards the water (probably too dark to see), attempted to turn back and got stuck.

It's just so hard to understand.

If they were able to leave tire tracks showing a uturn then they were probably only at the shore when they arrived. I think they realized before they went into the water and turned around - hit a bit of the water and got stuck. Then likely stayed there to sleep until the morning which would make sense if she didn't know anything about tides.

Sadly, she may not have gone for help immediately (instead deciding to sleep there) because she had been drinking and didn't want the police to get involved. I can see that happening.

Mom probably will be found tomorrow. Very sad for Kat and Azriel, and for their families.

These are great photos. I particularly like the photo that shows the tire tracks. It definitely looks like she was heading towards the water (probably too dark to see), attempted to turn back and got stuck.

If they were able to leave tire tracks showing a uturn, then they couldn't have been in water that was too high. Really not that high at all.

Possibly they went for help but finding none they went back to the van to sleep, and when the water rushed in with the tide, they were unable to save themselves.

Tragic.

If they were able to leave tire tracks showing a uturn then they were probably only at the shore when they arrived. I think they realized before they went into the water and turned around - hit a bit of the water and got stuck. Then likely stayed there to sleep until the morning which would make sense if she didn't know anything about tides.

Sadly, she may not have gone for help immediately (instead deciding to sleep there) because she had been drinking and didn't want the police to get involved. I can see that happening.

The photo showing the tire tracks actually looks like she was driving in circles? You can see where she drove down to the water, then it shows multiple tire tracks in circles...

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Nationwide-appeal-for-help-in-finding-missing-mom-and-son-87825797.html?gallery=y&c=y&img=1

I am so sick right now. When pulling up to the house to call the grandparents, why not just tell him to knock and once the door is open speed off? SAVE YOUR CHILD. I keep picturing him goofing off in the convenience store with his little mohawk and glasses. This is sick.

We need to partner with an organization to set up a hotline or something - if moms are having trouble, CALL. SOMEONE RESPONSIBLE WILL LOOK AFTER YOUR BABY. I am so tired of looking back and thinking I'D TAKE HIM! And I live alone in a small studio apartment - I know so many of you are SO MUCH more equipped, already being loving moms and grandmoms. Its just not fair! These kids deserve so much more!

WTF CAN WE DO??

I am so angry with this "mother of the year."

She didn't have to take him with her.

She didn't have to take his life, along with her own.

He had a right to live.

UGH

If she was such a super, caring mom she would have parked the van, called someone and confess to relapsing. Had someone come and help her and make sure Az was safe. The "she cared sooo much about her son that she would never put him danger" is evidently a big, fat lie! :furious:

At that point in time, she cared more about getting her buzz on. With fatal results for that poor, innocent little boy. I don't think she MEANT to kill him....but his safety and well being were certainly not her top priority that night. Why, why, why??? It's so unfair! :banghead:

Not really...cause once she started drinking she was no longer "herself"...

I think the fiancee is simply in deep denial

Most alcoholics seek out someone who will enable them ...the fact that she is seen in fairly recent pictures with a beer means that she probably convinced him that she could "handle" "just a beer"....:( Actually a true alcoholic can't handle any alcohol ever....you never know what will happen once they pick up the "first drink"

I see so many honest misunderstandings here...it is really hard to get help for an alcoholic that doesn't want help....

call AA?? They will refer you to al-anon to get help for yourself...AA only "12 steps" when the alcoholic chooses to call them or go to them

Of course, since the mental health system is broken, there is no "hot line" where a frightened family member can call and have someone put away for a few days for their own good...even the Baker act is hard to work with people who are "simply" alcoholic....

try calling the cops and tell them that you think a woman "might" drink and drive with her own child.....they will give you the number of aa (or al anon..or coda LOL)

WTF CAN WE DO??

In this case lawlady, your idea would not have worked. I'm sure she loved her son dearly, but was in the midddle of a crisis of some kind and this was the horrible result. I'm sure her fiance would have even cared for the little guy if she thought she "needed a break." Her Grandparents would have also had she asked, but she WASN'T thinking straight and had no idea things would take such a horrible turn

I am so sick right now. When pulling up to the house to call the grandparents, why not just tell him to knock and once the door is open speed off? SAVE YOUR CHILD. I keep picturing him goofing off in the convenience store with his little mohawk and glasses. This is sick.

I know....I am almost sorry I watched that convenience store tape

Once she was drinking any rational thought probably was gone from her

Sigh.

Poor Az :-( God rest his soul.

She's likely gone too, though they may not find her body.

Neither of them deserved this.

This boy was failed by all three adults in his life. A bio Dad that hadn't seen him, but rushes there to try to help. Too little, too late. A Mom that put booze first, already had a DUI. The one person that was supposed to protect him, failed him miserably. And the Mom's bf. He needed a major reality check, Once he knew she had relapsed, he should have said " NO DRIVING". Instead he enabled her. All three failed little Azriel. moo

In this case lawlady, your idea would not have worked. I'm sure she loved her son dearly, but was in the midddle of a crisis of some kind and this was the horrible result. I'm sure her fiance would have even cared for the little guy if she thought she "needed a break." Her Grandparents would have also had she asked, but she WASN'T thinking straight and had no idea things would take such a horrible turn

I agree, it is such a tragedy but I don't think she intended to harm either one of them. In both of the videos you see her smiling at him, he is dancing and playing in the one video.

I don't think she was trying to end their lives. Even the tire tracks show her trying to get out of where they ended up.

Part of me thinks they got out of the vehicle and tried to push, or one of them did and they ended up in the water. The water up here is freezing. Even if they tried to wade their way to a path in the dark they could have been overtaken by hypothermia and drown. It was dark, it was cold, it was wet, the adult had been drinking at a minimum.

Heartbreaking.

Just catching up on this thread. I see that there is a lot of talk of her being intoxicated? How was this confirmed?
No matter what happened, it is a sad day.

Personally, I think its a little too early to jump to conclusions about what Shanita did or didnt do. I will believe she failed her son when I see more proof than what I have seen so far. We know better than most that things arent always as they seem. I have no clue what happened, but it just feels "too soon" to me to start blaming Mom already, we dont even know where she is. She could have met with foul play. Someone else could have done this. IMO...
RIP Little Azriel..

Just catching up on this thread. I see that there is a lot of talk of her being intoxicated? How was this confirmed?

She had reportedly had a recent relapse.
She is on video buying a jug of wine.
A very similar jug of wine is found at the scene, open, half emptied.
Waitress at the corn dog stop reports thinking she was drunk prior to the relapse or the wine being reported.

It is speculation at this point, but not wildly pulled out to the thin air speculation.

Video of her at the convenience store buying a jug of wine ...

jug of wine found half empty with cork in it

some assumptions...but the fact is that she relapsed the week before, apparently had had a DUI before....perhaps they will find her body now but it seems pretty good bet that booze was involved here

Sorry for sounding so crazy, I just really didn't think it would end up like this. I know how difficult alcoholism is, and its just a plain tragedy. I know no one could stop her from drinking. It is really scary. Really scary. They looked happy in the convenience store videos.

I literally looked next to me and see a big empty couch and just wish there was something I could do. I think these cases are getting to me again. Maybe its time for another break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth